Miller, Gabbert, and Peterson Are Players That....

1) Miller had great combine numbers. So did Mike Mamula and Vern Gholston so I'm not that swayed. Miller is small. We need to get stronger, not smaller.

2) I can't help it.....Gabbert reminds me of Trent. I only saw him on youtube, but this guy is a checkdown machine imo.

3) Investing a # 3 in a corner and making him the highest player on this team would be a Levy/Jauron act of monumental idiocy. Mel Blount was as good as I have ever seen at cb. To those of you who saw the "Steel Curtain," raise you hand if you think Blount was as important as Joe Greene, LC Greenwood, Jack Lambert or Jack Hamm?

I would rather take a supposed "reach" player who would offer a chance at greatness than settle for any of the above. This football team already has too much invested in small, non-impact players such as Evans, Whitner, Spiller, McKelvin, and a host of non-productve others.

I want the Bills to have a great quarterback and a strong football team. When they accomplish this, they will win football games.

End of rant; jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Miller had great combine numbers. So did Mike Mamula and Vern Gholston so I'm not that swayed. Miller is small. We need to get stronger, not smaller.

2) I can't help it.....Gabbert reminds me of Trent. I only saw him on youtube, but this guy is a checkdown machine imo.

3) Investing a # 3 in a corner and making him the highest player on this team would be a Levy/Jauron act of monumental idiocy. Mel Blount was as good as I have ever seen at cb. To those of you who saw the "Steel Curtain," raise you hand if you think Blount was as important as Joe Greene, LC Greenwood, Jack Lambert or Jack Hamm?

I would rather take a supposed "reach" player who would offer a chance at greatness than settle for any of the above. This football team already has too much invested in small, non-impact players such as Evans, Whitner, Spiller, McKelvin, and a host of non-productve others.

I want the Bills to have a great quarterback and a strong football team. When they accomplish this, they will win football games.

End of rant; jmo.

Gogogogog Vin Miller!

End of rant; jmo.

1) To be fair, it's not as though Miller came out of nowhere to post great combine numbers, but rather that his great combine numbers simply support what you see from him on Saturdays.

2) I'm 50-50 on Gabbert. I think he's very phiscally gifted, but I have no idea if he'll be successful in the NFL.

3) I'm not gung-ho on Peterson at No. 3, but it's more because I don't think he's a world-beater at CB. If he were, I suppose I'd be okay with it. I just happen to believe that the front 7 is probably easier to address than finding a lockdown CB. I would say, however, that CBs like Revis and Cromartie are equally (if not more) important to the Jets' defensive success than players like Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha, Mike Devito, Bryan Thomas, and Calvin Pace. However, like I said, I think it's tougher to find CBs like those two than it is to find front 7 players.

Edited by thebandit27

To be honest, I couldn't DISAGREE with you more.

1) Von Miller really isn't that small. Yeah, he's not the size of some of the heavier OLB's like DeMarcus Ware, but there are PLENTY of really good pass rushing OLB's in the game that are around Von Miller's size. Yeah, the weight is a small small concern, but it's minor to be quiet honest. And if his combine numbers being awesome scare you away, that's fine. But you can't ignore his college production, nor what pretty much EVERY scout is saying about him

2) I actually like Blaine Gabbert. I can see why you would think that he's a checkdown machine, but that's a result of how his offense was designed. The majority of his throws, and this is coming off of what I heard from some NFL Network analyst, were in that 10-15 yard range. Sure, he doesn't throw that many 50 yard bombs, but the 10-15 yard throws are really the bread and butter of the NFL passing game. Here's the biggest reason of why I DO like Blaine Gabbert. His offense at Mizzou was pretty complex - almost to the level of Sam Bradford's when he was at Oklahoma. Blaine Gabbert had to make complex reads and progress through his recievers like he would have to in the NFL. In fact, if we draft him, I will probably expect to see a Sam Bradford-like season out of him. Just my own guess, but there it is. He'll probably have the smoothest transition to the NFL game out of everyone in the draft this season. Other QB's like Can Newton really only had to make 1 read in their simpler offenses, where it was 1 read and run. Simple routes, simple plan, and implemented to take advantage of Cam Newton's physical abilities.

3) I can agree with you there. Aside from QB, what I think this team needs is LB's and Linemen.

You say you want this team to have a QB and win football games. I say let's get on the Gabbert wagon and ride it to the super bowl :D

1) To be fair, it's not as though Miller came out of nowhere to post great combine numbers, but rather that his great combine numbers simply support what you see from him on Saturdays.

2) I'm 50-50 on Gabbert. I think he's very phiscally gifted, but I have no idea if he'll be successful in the NFL.

3) I'm not gung-ho on Peterson at No. 3, but it's more because I don't think he's a world-beater at CB. If he were, I suppose I'd be okay with it. I just happen to believe that the front 7 is probably easier to address than finding a lockdown CB. I would say, however, that CBs like Revis and Cromartie are equally (if not more) important to the Jets' defensive success than players like Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha, Mike Devito, Bryan Thomas, and Calvin Pace. However, like I said, I think it's tougher to find CBs like those two than it is to find front 7 players.

Add that the Bills could've had Revis, but chose Marshawn Lynch 2 picks earlier.

Add that the Bills could've had Revis, but chose Marshawn Lynch 2 picks earlier.

Shhhhh. don't bring up 2007 when Bill spent the entire offseason fretting and posting against the Bills selecting Revis and what a mistake would be and how it woudl set the franchise back.

Shhhhh. don't bring up 2007 when Bill spent the entire offseason fretting and posting against the Bills selecting Revis and what a mistake would be and how it woudl set the franchise back.

They made up for that mistake by getting the best CB in the next draft. :lol:

Of course, the real question is whether it would've been better to select one of the top 3 players at a position versus a player that is a platoon player (and now off the team) at his position. The answer is self-evident, of course.

Your opinion in #3 makes the assumption that by drafting Peterson they'd be passing on the Joe Greene, LC Greenwood, Jack Lambert or Jack Hamm. If the drafting team had the option of picking between a future Hall of Fame CB or DL/LB, I'm sure they'd take the DL/LB. But obviously that is an unknown, and therefore if there is a player that they feel has the ability to become a HoF anything he should be the pick. Or, to put another way, was Mel Blount more important to that defense than Ernie Holmes or Dwight White?

I don't know about that...There HAS to be a reason some NFL Scouts are SO high on this Kid...And I'm reading tons of rumors The Bills are amongst the Teams sold on Gabbert (I know...they're just rumors)...Mike Mayock has him #5 overall and says most of Gabbert's problems came from a lack of talent around him and a porous O-Line...Charlie Casserly says Gabbert is a better Pro Prospect than Sanchez and Flacco coming out...The NFL Advisory Board obviously told him he would go REAL high...He's SUPER smart, a hard worker, and a good teammate...Nothing is guaranteed with a QB ever...No matter where you pick em.' But I don't think Gabbert is Trent 2.0...Not at all... B-)

I don't know about that...There HAS to be a reason some NFL Scouts are SO high on this Kid...And I'm reading tons of rumors The Bills are amongst the Teams sold on Gabbert (I know...they're just rumors)...Mike Mayock has him #5 overall and says most of Gabbert's problems came from a lack of talent around him and a porous O-Line...Charlie Casserly says Gabbert is a better Pro Prospect than Sanchez and Flacco coming out...The NFL Advisory Board obviously told him he would go REAL high...He's SUPER smart, a hard worker, and a good teammate...Nothing is guaranteed with a QB ever...No matter where you pick em.' But I don't think Gabbert is Trent 2.0...Not at all... B-)

Is he more interested in golf than playing QB? :devil:

Whatever the offense's flaws are, the fastest way to improve it is through...a better defense. There are only 60 minutes in a game and when your D gives up third down conversion after third down conversion, the Time Of Possession for your offense becomes shorter and shorter. If a better defense can force more three-and-outs, it gives your offense more opportunities to score while cutting into your opponents opportunities to put points on the board. You can draft the greatest QB that ever lived but if the D can't get him on the field, it becomes an exercise in futility.

I hated the idea of Peterson, 90 days ago.

I no longer would loose it, if the Bills drafted Peterson or AJ Green.

Those two are gifted athletes and would still be Top 10 and Top5 picks in a year that was actually strong in LTs and pro ready QBs.

I would be cautiously optimistic if teh Bills' drafted Gabbert or Newton. You can say what you want about Chan Gailey, he knows QBing and if he is involved in picking one of these guys than he must have a feeling he can turn them into something great.

I'd much rather have Beef in the Middle over an edge rusher. Von Miller's 27 sacks in two years didn't help Texas A&M's defense much. They were still ranked in the 100s in the total defense. A similar effect would likely happen in Buffalo he gets 8-10 sacks yet Buffalo is still in the Bottom 3rd in total defense and bottom 3 in Rushing defense. Thats if he can actually maintain his weight and LT don't just send him flying 15 yards down the field and out of the play.

At this point I'm more of an anybody but Von kinda guy.

Edited by Why So Serious?

They made up for that mistake by getting the best CB in the next draft. :lol:

Of course, the real question is whether it would've been better to select one of the top 3 players at a position versus a player that is a platoon player (and now off the team) at his position. The answer is self-evident, of course.

The prudent course of action would have been to not draft lynch, as well as re-signing Greer, meaning no need to draft McKelvin in 2008.

I'm ok with the Bills taking *almost* any position, provided the player turns into a good one. I dont want peterson at #3, but if we draft him and he turns out to be great, it will benefit us regardless.

3) Mel Blount was as good as I have ever seen at cb. To those of you who saw the "Steel Curtain," raise you hand if you think Blount was as important as Joe Greene, LC Greenwood, Jack Lambert or Jack Hamm?

When was that? The 1940s? Joe Greene was more valuable because he could crank the handle to get the engine on the team bus started after games.

Today's NFL is different. Back then you needed a bunch of guys like that up front but they are too slow for today's game.

Think of it this way:

In the movie Independence Day, Will Smith was lucky to have that quick and nimble little spaceship he and Jeff Goldberg took to the mother ship. Why? Because it was quick like a CB. Can you imagine if they tried to attack using a slow lineman like Apollo module? End of movie.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Was Vernon Gholston not a one year wonder? If you ask me (and dont construe this has hate for Quinn I actually like him) the comparison should be Vernon to Quinn based on lack of actual college years showing productivity.....

Where as Von Miller has consecutive years as a highly productive OLB in a 3-4 defense......if ever there was a player that could step in and help us immediately....its there....

QB wouldnt make me cry either.....only only if Nix is COMPLETELY sold that Newton or Gabbert could become a franchise QB....

And lets keep in mind that Trent Edwards....who we correctly got rid of....looked VERY GOOD before he took that concussion hit....nobody was crying about him back when he was looking like a early pro bowl candidate.....

Chan knows QB's.....he will either want one of the top two or there might be a 2nd round guy that he thinks has a lot of potential

Von Miller-There is an awful track record of LB's being taken in the first 5 picks over the past 10 years!

Blaine Gabbert-Jim Harbaugh tried to recruit him--called him the best pro style QB entering college several years ago...Gabbert decided on Mizzou...As for the Trent comparisons, I see it...but, Gabbert looks like he can manage the game better! Going back Trent was not a bad QB...towards the end, Trent fell apart...In the NFL you have to evolve your game--if you don't evolve--you don't succeed!

I believe if they do select Gabbert, Chan can mold him into a stellar QB--which this teams hasnt had in almost 13 years!

Patrick Peterson- I don't think the staff is that high on him--I've read the articles on him being a "Nickleback", but don't see him in the new 2011 Bills jerseys rolling out soon!

Ive been a Mizzou fan my whole life.. I would love to see Gabbert on the Bills. I think he could do WONDERS with Chan Gailey.

Nothin negative on Gabbert?

The comparisons are killin me...

Gabbert = Edwards

Miller = Maybin

JJ Watt = Kelsay

I understand all the busts and disappointments have jaded everyone, but jesh, should we be paralyzed and not draft any positions we've ever had busts w/ ?

Gabbert, Quinn, or Dareus should be our first pick.

I think our 1st Pick will be between Newton, Gabbert, Miller, or Darius...I think one of those 4 will be a Buffalo Bill...But I'm leaning towards Gabbert being the Pick... B-)