Lets just say you are Buddy Nix

You act like finding a franchise QB is like flipping a switch. "Ok, now I want one, so I'm going to get one. I built the trenches, now I'm ready for a QB."

So do the folks who want us to draft a QB at #3 this year: "the Bills MUST have a franchise QB to win therefore we must draft one - NOW!" (regardless of this year's talent)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do the folks who want us to draft a QB at #3 this year: "the Bills MUST have a franchise QB to win therefore we must draft one - NOW!" (regardless of this year's talent)

I never said that and never will. Don't put words in my mouth. Defensive tackles, defensive ends, and Linebackers don't turn franchises around. Quarterbacks do.

The most important thing the Bills front office and coaching staff should be doing is determining if there is a QB that should be taken at #3. The debate isn't should we build our defense and offense line first then think about finding a QB. It's always find the QB, always.

Now if they determine the franchise guy isn't there, then obviously you have to build other areas, and if there's a guy you love there that fills a need that's even better.

But when you don't have the face of your franchise QB. That's always your biggest need and the majority of your time should be spent finding one. It doesn't have to be your first round pick. I think Nix and company have been very clear on this.

If I had Buddy power would have to find somebody that can help us stop the run.

Seems like alot of people are on the Von Miller bandwagon. I am not one of those guys. Rather them draft a Big guy ... Darius, Quinn, Bowers if he checks out health wise or even slide down a bit to get Watt .

I can live with Fitz this year. We do need to find a backup for him though.

1st....DE or DL

2nd....LB

3rd....Backup QB or best TE

4th....BPA on Defense

My top 3 would go as followed

1- Dareus (Run stuffer helps the run D)

2- Von Miller (Pass rusher the second biggest Defensive need)'

In the Nightmare scenario of both being gone you have to look for a trade down possibility try to pick up an extra second and mid rounder while still picking in the top 5-8 for a team in love with Newton or Gabbert.

If a trade down isn't available I think you have to take Fairly as a 3-4 DE and a DT in the flex D. Fairly is very concerning but the guy plays with a mean streak and I think can play both 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT so there is value in that.

Still I think that Carolina will take Newton and Miller will be our pick.

If I had Buddy power would have to find somebody that can help us stop the run.

Seems like alot of people are on the Von Miller bandwagon. I am not one of those guys. Rather them draft a Big guy ... Darius, Quinn, Bowers if he checks out health wise or even slide down a bit to get Watt .

I can live with Fitz this year. We do need to find a backup for him though.

1st....DE or DL

2nd....LB

3rd....Backup QB or best TE

4th....BPA on Defense

I don't think drafting a QB to be a backup doesn't make sense simply because there will eventually be free agency and its a waste of a high pick if you are only drafting a guy to be a backup. A Free agent backup QB is easily able to be acquired (Fitz was brought in as a free agent) there isn't a need to waste a pick on that type of need.

...What is your assessment/plan?

If I was Buddy, I would not trade down to get more picks, unless the team I trade with is in the top 10. If that were to happen, I would draft one of the best quarterbacks still on my board no later then the 3rd round, because I still don't think Fitz is my answer long term. If no team in the top 10 wanted to trade up with me, then I would draft either Newton or Gabbert #3, and fill in the rest of my many needs from rounds 2 - 7.

As far as my assessment of the team? Well basically it's a 4-12-0 football team that still sucks, so if and when free agency ever starts up this season, I would supplement my draft picks with good solid free agents for my biggest weaknesses right up to the salary cap, less the money we set aside for injuries and other unforeseeable circumstances.

As far as getting specific about personnel on the team now and what type of offense and defense the Bills run, I would let Gailey take care of that department, and hopefully supply him with more talent by the time training camp starts....if it does this season at all. Remember, if I'm Buddy Nix I'm in my 70's and I'm using the more tried and true long term 3 - 5 year plan of rebuilding the team. I'm not thinking in terms of trying to go from last place to first place in the division in one season, as a few teams do every year. With my plan, I build mostly through the draft, so my Bills won't be adding the most high profile free agents out there.

If I was Buddy Nix for a day? I know I would not be envious of my position. One only needs to look at this board to realize that there are a million different directions to go..DL, QB, OLB etc. I would just have to sit down and ask myself what was THE glaring weakness of the Bills last year and my conclusion would be...ZERO PASS RUSH!!!! I'd fix that first. Dareus, Miller, Bowers? One of them.

My top 3 would go as followed

1- Dareus (Run stuffer helps the run D)

2- Von Miller (Pass rusher the second biggest Defensive need)'

In the Nightmare scenario of both being gone you have to look for a trade down possibility try to pick up an extra second and mid rounder while still picking in the top 5-8 for a team in love with Newton or Gabbert.

If a trade down isn't available I think you have to take Fairly as a 3-4 DE and a DT in the flex D. Fairly is very concerning but the guy plays with a mean streak and I think can play both 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT so there is value in that.

Still I think that Carolina will take Newton and Miller will be our pick.

I don't think drafting a QB to be a backup doesn't make sense simply because there will eventually be free agency and its a waste of a high pick if you are only drafting a guy to be a backup. A Free agent backup QB is easily able to be acquired (Fitz was brought in as a free agent) there isn't a need to waste a pick on that type of need.

Well normally we would have had free agents done already. This throws the draft in a different light. We may have the draft before the CBA is completed.

Is there a QB FA out there the Bills like? McNabb is the only one I would like to back up Fitz and we know he is not coming here.

So I do believe they will take a QB....but not In the first round.

Your overall analysis is poor.

The NFl is a passing league. You have to be able to run but passing is at least as or more important.

The Bills can't be a 3-4 team until they have a nose tackle and another MLB. Until then, they are better suited to the 4-3 with Williams and hopefully Troup at the tackles. Wanny is a 3-4 coach by the way.

Newton is too risky a pick. The Bills haven't stopped the run since Pat Williams left. Take the best run defender in the draft- probably Darius.

I understand the need to throw rocks but the "it's a passing league" mantra is old. To me the game is exploiting match ups where and whenever you can. Coaches and gms can stack the deck however they wish. There are certainly a number of teams working to create mismatches in the passing game, ne, Indy, no. But pit and nyj just line up and run you over. Any one of these teams could have won he superbowl.

Sun it comes to drafting that is the guy you want to see them pick up. Be it The stud lb that takes a rb out of the game or the tight end no one can cover or the unblockable de...

I personally like that attitude towards football. That style of play might define us moving forward. I think we would be succesful with a balanced attack on offense with Fitz at the helm. But if he goes down wht the heck will we do. The qb needs to be looked after in some form this off season. You sure Mcnabb wont come here? Tebow Kolb anybody, palmer, clausen?

I get the feeling that the NFLPA is delaying the process that would open up free agency. My thoughts are that the players know that they can ask for double the salaries they would have been offered once teams are desperate. At first I thought that they want to be employed asap. But watching this DeMaurice Smith and the state of affairs. Its obvious to me that they are going to rape the NFL owners at all costs.. This is a sound plan, and it will work. Thus further reducing Buffalo's chances of landing a suitable replacement for one of our numerous holes still there, post draft... I know It's a waste wanting things to be different, but every day free agency remains closed, is another dark day for the Buffalo Bills frachise, and its looking better for the Jerry Jones' and Daniel Snyders of the NFL. Lets hope that Buddy aquires more picks and fills the big holes- DE, OT, QB, ILB, TE, OLB, CB, SS

Your overall analysis is poor.

The NFl is a passing league. You have to be able to run but passing is at least as or more important.

The Bills can't be a 3-4 team until they have a nose tackle and another MLB. Until then, they are better suited to the 4-3 with Williams and hopefully Troup at the tackles. Wanny is a 3-4 coach by the way.

Newton is too risky a pick. The Bills haven't stopped the run since Pat Williams left. Take the best run defender in the draft- probably Darius.

Fat chance Wanny is a 3-4 coach

Everywhere he has ever coached he has used a 4-3.

Typical of the Bills to keep the inept DC and bring in another coach with zero 3-4 experience to run the 3-4

Thbey should just go back to the 4-3 since their coaching and personnel fit it much better

or stop jerking around and bring in a real 3-4 coaching staff

Landing a great QB

Straying from that plan will result in another decade like the last.

Stopping the run is a bigger issue than QB, we cant let the Jets or Chiefs just run on us like last year.

Who knows...Fitz may get better with an off season with Gailey, if he can cut down on the INT's and we get some more production from spiller we will be fine on Offense.

We Really need some LB's.

If I am Buddy I improve the defense by drafting front 7 players that can play in our 3-4, 4-3 hybrid. DE, OLB and ILB are great needs.

I also pick an OT and a QB if good ones are there in round 2-4.

I would try to trade down a few spots and acquire picks. We need help on this team and an extra 2nd rounder would be huge.