Lets just say you are Buddy Nix

Assuming the state of the NFL does not change by the time the draft begins, and there is no free agency until after the draft. What is your assessment of the teams weaknesses and what would your plan be to become a contender in the division? What style of team would you look to build given the players currently under contract?

Offensively, If I was Buddy nix, I would look to build the team into becoming the #1 rushing team in the league. The teams biggest offensive strength potentially is having the combo of CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. As I look at the OL, I see promising depth in the interior, and by adding an OT through the draft, I would figure the line to be a very strong unit heading into 2011. I would like to see the starting line include a rookie RT drafted in rd 2 or 3 with upside to move to the left side eventually, as well as Eric Wood starting at C. Scott Chandler provides the team with a potentially mauling run blocker at the TE position and while grabbing a top notch TE in this draft seems attractive, I would probably look to free agency to grab another potential run blocking TE. Nelson is in his make or break season, lets give him the chance. Corey McIntyre is a perfect fit at fb since Chan really doesn't utilize a blocking FB as much as he needs his FB to be a Special teams ace. Clearly the Bills like Corey. At WR the Bills are set but I would not rule out drafting a big physical target if someone was to slide into rd 3. But don't look for another Easley pick since he is like a bonus 4th rd pick this year. He really turned heads in minicamps and Chan Gailey is pleased with the Wr position and so am I.

Defensively, I would ignore all the statistics from the prior year and stick to the long term plan here. Chris Kelsay and the lack of another run stopping MLB are the main 2 reasons why they have the Bills run the hybrid 3/4 - 4/3 front. But with Shawn Merriman expected to finally be fully recovered and Paul Poslusny expected back the bills are not as thin at the LB position as last season. I fully expect Arthur Moats to win the opposite Starting OLB spot from Merriman, and Kelsay will be able to provide valuable depth at OLB and still has some pass rush ability in the nickle and dime 4 man fronts that Buffalo will continue to utilize. The front four will be improved simply by the release of aging and innefective DT/DE Marcus Stroud. Troup seems to get it. He is working his tail off and seems to be aiming to be the starting DT in 2011. Dwan Edwards is a super solid run defending DE and could handle either RDE or LDE in the current system. I like Edwards, Troupe, and Kyle Williams moving to LDE. Carrington is a perfect fit for the 3rd DE position since they can rotate Williams inside often. Adding a draft pick along the line is key and he needs to be 275-320 lbs. The Bills are only one DE away from having a solid Defensive Line as long as Buddy Nix is confident in his decisions from lasy year. A MLB is definately needed, but I do not buy into needing a physically large player there. But instead a player that is "BIG" against the run. Someone that relishes taking on a FB or C head on. That would play to the strengths of the team and allow Pos more room to do what he does best and pursue the ball. Lack of depth in the defensive backfield is a problem and If I were Buddy Nix, I would feel confident in the starting unit if it has to be McGee, Byrd, Wilson, and McKelvin, Corner is fine for a slot/nickle cb and Scott allows some depth at the safety position. Drafting a young SS is not a bad idea if Whitner is not resigned. Luckily, for the Bills there is a large number of free agent CB available and I believe it will be a buyers market for a handful of young players looking to come out of the shadows of a long term starter on another team. Look for free agency to add a CB.

So If I was drafting, and Cam Newton was available at #3 I would look at him as potentially being able to help the offense have the #1 overall rushing ranking, and If I were to draft him I would also not hesitate to draft a OT in the top of the second rd. I would consider the offense done at this point and focus primarily on the defensive side of the ball from here on out. If I decided to pass on Cam Newton or if he is not available, I would probably hold off on the QB position until the 3rd rd and take a flyer on Colin Kaepernick or Jake Locker given their ability to extend plays and the obvious need to sit a year. Cam Newton has a package that he can play in as a rookie, and could potentially score a lot of red zone td with his size and natural running ability. Christian Ponder is another option in rd 2 and as GM for a weekend, I do not pass on a potential backup to Fitz unless the draft requires a massive reach. If I did not take Newton, I think that Marcel Dareus is a fine choice to turn our DL into a completely dominant unit, and strength of the team for 4 years. If a qb is not the choice, I would surely draft Dareus or trade out of the pick to aquire more top notch draft picks. An ILB is a important part of my draft plan and would hope that rd 4 can supply a quality starter for the next 10 years. As I see it, my long term plan is to draft Cam Newton in the 1st, a Top notch OT in the second, DE/DT in the 3rd, ILB in the 4th, DB in the second 4th, and best player available 5th 6th and 7th. Or Dareus in the 1st, Ponder or OT in the 2nd, Kaepernick, Locker, or OT in the 3rd, and ILB in the 4th, with DB following closely, with best player available from there on out.

What is your assessment/plan?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm Buddy, I am closely monitoring fan opinion on whom the Bills should select. That's how the good teams construct their boards and that's just what the Bills should do as well. Can't go wrong picking fan favorites in every round.

GO BILLS!!!

If I'm Buddy, I am closely monitoring fan opinion on whom the Bills should select. That's how the good teams construct their boards and that's just what the Bills should do as well. Can't go wrong picking fan favorites in every round.

GO BILLS!!!

HAHA! maybe thats why they drafted Hardy???

Your overall analysis is poor.

The NFl is a passing league. You have to be able to run but passing is at least as or more important.

The Bills can't be a 3-4 team until they have a nose tackle and another MLB. Until then, they are better suited to the 4-3 with Williams and hopefully Troup at the tackles. Wanny is a 3-4 coach by the way.

Newton is too risky a pick. The Bills haven't stopped the run since Pat Williams left. Take the best run defender in the draft- probably Darius.

Buddy's goal should be to not run up with the pick card(for at least the first few rounds) as soon as the Bills are on the clock. Wait and see if the phone rings and what the other teams have to offer. What is the downside of using all your allotted time? THERE IS NONE! :doh:

Edited by LabattBlue

First of all...if I were Buddy Nix, my short-term goal would not be to be competitive in the AFC East next season. I would focus primarily on making immediate improvements to our defensive front seven and our offensive line. Start rebuilding through the trenches, and then add skill area players who will take the Bills to the next level (playoffs). Besides spending 1 or maybe 2 picks on the offensive line, and 1 late round pick in the secondary, I would draft defense, defense, and more defense. We need a 3-4 DE to replace Stroud, and we need multiple linebackers. No QB's, no WR's, and no RB's.

Interesting and consistent thought out logic for our op "Buddy For Day. or three"

In regards to your defensive responses, i feel i need to remind you the lack of depth. Lets say we have Kyle Troup Edwards. Who is the backup nose who is the end besides Carrington. And i don't think we can hang our hat on troup or carrington yet or Moats even. Shawne is not even on the field yet.

No shot on any players i mentioned, but we do not even have a serviceable front seven. I do agree OT/ TE but was hoping for FA.

I am more extreme on my thinking and feel the ilb this draft is a key pick. I think you might have nailed "big".

C'mon Dareus. Be there at 3! Newton is going to Carolina in my mind.

I do agree we are building the foundations for awhile yet, next year we should work the offensive side.

even if we don't agree on all points,

good post Dan

First of all...if I were Buddy Nix, my short-term goal would not be to be competitive in the AFC East next season. I would focus primarily on making immediate improvements to our defensive front seven and our offensive line. Start rebuilding through the trenches, and then add skill area players who will take the Bills to the next level (playoffs). Besides spending 1 or maybe 2 picks on the offensive line, and 1 late round pick in the secondary, I would draft defense, defense, and more defense. We need a 3-4 DE to replace Stroud, and we need multiple linebackers. No QB's, no WR's, and no RB's.

You act like finding a franchise QB is like flipping a switch. "Ok, now I want one, so I'm going to get one. I built the trenches, now I'm ready for a QB."

You build thru the lines. If we draft Cam in the third spot it will not be in our best interests. Get a great O line and Jackson and Spiller will be great. Get a great D line and we will get the ball more to let the O operate. This is not rocket guys. Its smash mouth sport. DO IT.

You act like finding a franchise QB is like flipping a switch. "Ok, now I want one, so I'm going to get one. I built the trenches, now I'm ready for a QB."

Fair enough....then who do you propose is the "franchise quarterback" in this draft, and what would be your plan if you were Buddy Nix?

Wanny is a 3-4 coach by the way.

Wannstedt has been a 4-3 guy since entering the NFL. He'll be tasked with coaching the ILB's, who both function much differently than a MLB.

The defense and offense need serious help at the marquee positions, OT and DE/DT. Dareus would be the guy who could work in both a 4-3 and 3-4, but he'll be long gone. I get the impression Buddy wants out of 3 because the prospects don't line up with Buffalo's significant needs. If they want a 5 technique, it's not good value at 3.

You build thru the lines. If we draft Cam in the third spot it will not be in our best interests. Get a great O line and Jackson and Spiller will be great. Get a great D line and we will get the ball more to let the O operate. This is not rocket guys. Its smash mouth sport. DO IT.

And that can still be done with the rest of our picks this year and next plus FA. A franchise QB is acquired with one pick, usually a top pick.