Girl uses gun to committ suicide at an Austin High School...

boyst

You had all those deaths in your high school?

Not everyone was from my high school but they were all high school age either from my high school or from the neighborhood. The one that seemed to happen every year between Halloween and Christmas was someone dying from hypothermia one year we had two like a week apart- I think it was more common because kids drank outside, would get hammered and then try to sleep it off in a garage or a porch or a car so they wouldn't go home drunk and get a beating.

The whole post was sobering, for lack of a better word, and these two stuck out to me in particular

...People today feel they have the right to make whatever comment they want to get their "lulz." ...

I think this is a product of our increasingly narcissistic society that makes us think the rest of the world gives a **** about our opinions. I'm sure the TMZ generation that has made the obsession with celebrity more of a reality than the fantasy it has been up until recently, plays a part. That's one of the things I like about this board, we gather to share our hot air amongst a willing audience, many of whom are happy to tell us to !@#$ off. It's done a world of good for my mental health, and I no longer feel the need to bombard those around me with political opinions.

...The meteoric rise in depression rates can't just be physical. It just can't...

"Clinical Depression" is one of the biggest shams of the modern era. Many highly educated professionals peddle this b.s. with no idea that it's bunk b/c their high priced educations support this junk science in full.

I had a friend in HS who suffered from severe depression. He hated school but believed it was necessary for his future, loved women but was a louse with chicks, had a terrible home life due to an overbearing step-father, and a pretty morbid outlook for the future. They gave him electro shock therapy, which didn't seem to do much. Although once he learned how to attract women, got his career on track, and married a quality woman, all his clinical depression magically dissipated.

My theory is, a very few people have chemical imbalances that create depression. The overwhelming majority of "clinically depressed" just need to get their life or point of view straight.

Edited by Rob's House

I don't remember any suicides what I remember is Deaths by the following- alcohol poisoning, alcohol related car crashes, alcohol related hypothermia, drownings in the Niagara river, Broken neck in the diving pool, Train track deaths (hit by train,found beaten to death, found stabbed to death) and a couple of falling deaths (abandoned Kobackers, grain mill) causeway between river-walk and Niagara street- it's possible we had some suicides because I remember a couple of quiet girls who suddenly stopped coming to school and never came back but if it was a suicide no one said anything and sadly I don't remember anyone asking.

Well if I had known you during high school, I probably would have killed myself. :devil:

My theory is, a very few people have chemical imbalances that create depression. The overwhelming majority of "clinically depressed" just need to get their life or point of view straight.

+1

So is this the "well-informed" sort of opinion, or the "pulled out of your ass" kind?

Because you're both obviously idiots, and don't know what you're talking about.

I don't think you've done the research necessary to call this a "theory," nor do I think you know at all what you're talking about.

Regardless, I think MDs who write scripts for antidepressants without having the patient go through some sort of talk therapy (like cognitive behavioral therapy) are absolute quacks.

I wasn't my intention to say that depression is not a physical condition. Wasn't worded properly. I wrote that I don't think it can just/entirely be a rise in congenital hard-wired depression. It's the machinations of society and environmental experience (everything is part nature, part nuture, will you not concede that, Tom?). The little snarks that are so common these days, the overwhelming bad news, etc. that get in, bounce around and mess with what had been 'good enough' wiring.

I may regret this analogy, but, societal input would be like a computer virus that invades, attaches code, attacks software and perhaps shuts down the cooling fan.

The whole post was sobering, for lack of a better word, and these two stuck out to me in particular

I think this is a product of our increasingly narcissistic society that makes us think the rest of the world gives a **** about our opinions. I'm sure the TMZ generation that has made the obsession with celebrity more of a reality than the fantasy it has been up until recently, plays a part. That's one of the things I like about this board, we gather to share our hot air amongst a willing audience, many of whom are happy to tell us to !@#$ off. It's done a world of good for my mental health, and I no longer feel the need to bombard those around me with political opinions.

"Clinical Depression" is one of the biggest shams of the modern era. Many highly educated professionals peddle this b.s. with no idea that it's bunk b/c their high priced educations support this junk science in full.

I had a friend in HS who suffered from severe depression. He hated school but believed it was necessary for his future, loved women but was a louse with chicks, had a terrible home life due to an overbearing step-father, and a pretty morbid outlook for the future. They gave him electro shock therapy, which didn't seem to do much. Although once he learned how to attract women, got his career on track, and married a quality woman, all his clinical depression magically dissipated.

How did this guy go from severe depression, complete with electro shock therapy to a successful person and chick magnet?

Chicks usually don't dig severely depressed guys who went thru shock therapy.

Did anyone here, say over age 35, know anyone to committ suicide in school (a classmate)?

I knew someone who did, but he was out of HS.

In the early 70's I was in high school in Cheektowaga. A kid from our school maybe 15 hung himself in a wooded area in Williamsville off Main st. He was a victim of EXTREME bullying which I can be quite sure led to that.

Edited by MarkyMannn

Thoughts, behavior, and environment effects brain neurotransmitters

brain neurotransmitters effect thoughts, behavior and how you view your environment.

I question the effectiveness of talk therapy unless there was traumatic abuse and even then I think it's value long term is overrated- we are social being and most people need to interact with people they care about to be healthy, paying for that interaction is less healthy than paying for sex IMO. I do think for psychological trauma the use of Propranolol and scripted talk therapy holds promise.

For the average guy I'd suggest getting an antidepressant and checking your vitamin D level. While you were waiting to get to therapeutic levels I'd make you walk on a treadmill at a conversational pace and play Call of Duty or Halo at the same time and then go tanning. At the same relative time I'd have you make a list of things you hate about your life- job, relationships, family, friends, place where you live, how you look, or whatever - then start making small changes.

So is this the "well-informed" sort of opinion, or the "pulled out of your ass" kind?

Because you're both obviously idiots, and don't know what you're talking about.

I suppose it's a variation of a "pulled out of your ass" kind, in that I didn't read a bunch of journals written by pompous self-aggrandized douche bags who are "experts" of the softest of sciences who major in the theory of whatever !@#$s theory most applies to their preconcieved notions. However, I didn't just pull it out of thin air. I used one anecdote to illustrate the point, but I've had plenty of diagnosis from the masters of the mind, sat through enough psych classes, read enough, and thought enough to form my own opinion on the legitimacy of the "science" and my belief is that most (i.e. more than half) of those diagnosed with "clinical depression" are depressed about conditions in their life. Seeing as how this is the first time you've seen fit to call me an idiot, despite that being your m.o., I'm guessing that I struck a nerve. No offense Tom, my dad hides behind the "depression" excuse and pops prozac to artificially alter his mood. I just choose what I think about.

How did this guy go from severe depression, complete with electro shock therapy to a successful person and chick magnet?

I wouldn't say he ever became a chick magnet, but got to the point where he was socially savvy enough to lead a normal healthy social life. And it was a gradual process, it didn't happen overnight.

I also don't get all this "grief counseling" when someone in school dies. I was in 7th grade and one of my classmates rode his minibike out into the street and got killed. No grief counseling, they just announced it the next day. Like my parents said, get used to it. Some people die way too young.

Suicides are publicized a lot more know. I knew a volunteer fireman in the early 80s. He said that a lot of the attempted and successful suicide calls he went on never made the media.

Exactly... My uncle was a Cheektowaga cop... He had many stories years ago, especially with the young... He responded one time to a teen that tried a shotgun to his face... He was still breathing and had a towel over his face... Pretty gruesome!

Heck... My parents were going to a wedding in the early 1980s when they got rear-ended stopped at a light in West Seneca.. By a drunk... The cops hauled him away... The cops never frisked him and when they got to jail they discovered he had a small handgun on him! He was too blitzed to remember he had it on him... Thank GOD! What a mess that would have been on the street or in the police cruiser. Later we heard... A couple months go on, the guy came home one day and just blew his brains out. Sure he was an older fella back then.. But still.

You would be surprised! There is always the Randle P. McMurphy character out there!

Rob's House has spoken...

I normally don't like to get involved in discussions like this but i feel the need to jump in this time.

Clinical depression which i personally deal with can come and go. I had an extremely happy childhood, great parents lots of friends a girlfriend, loved my high school ect.

When i went to college and my girlfriend broke up with me it really set it off for me. I couldnt get out of bed, couldnt concentrate couldn't eat. For weeks i was like that. It was beyond being sad. If you've never had it or your not a doctor then you don't understand it. Hell i dont understand it sometimes. A year of talk therapy and 2 years of meds (which I'm off now) I'm better but i still have days where i wake up and say ****, today is going to suck. There is no reason for it, I'm just numb the whole day. people ask me whats wrong and i dont have an answer. I've gotten alot better at dealing with it but it was very difficult to do so and took a long time. It's sorta like having two voices in your head. One is telling you that your worthless, can't do anything right and your a failure. The other voice (which I've learned how to use) tells you to calm down and relax, that you're fine and just over-thinking.

I was lucky, I had people there that cared enough to get me help and supported me the whole way. I thank the good lord for that every day, but some people just don't get that. And that sucks and unfortunately the only way out for those individuals and this girl (that they see) is suicide.