How good are you at sports!!!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played organized sports since highschool.  In highschool I played football and spent the offseason in a boxing gym working out.  I was in great shape and could run the 40 in 4.2 back then.  I would love to play college football now, but just don't have the size for it.

160985[/snapback]

4.2?

Not to be a prick but unless you run a low 10 second 100 you don't run a 4.2. In fact Deon Sanders set the record at the combine running a 4.29. Anything in that range is world class speed, if you truly got it then congrats.

Most football/track coaches don't know how to take accurate 40 times, and unless its done electronically odds are the times are bogus. Consider this, like I said Deon Sanders has the fastest 40 in combine history at 4.29. What does he run in the 100? 10.26. Sanders could have been a borderline Olympian. So if you are faster then prime time I recommend you start training for the Olympics.

4.2?

Not to be a prick but unless you run a low 10 second 100 you don't run a 4.2. In fact Deon Sanders set the record at the combine running a 4.29.  Anything in that range is world class speed, if you truly got it then congrats.

Most football/track coaches don't know how to take accurate 40 times, and unless its done electronically odds are the times are bogus.  Consider this, like I said Deon Sanders has the fastest 40 in combine history at 4.29. What does he run in the 100? 10.26. Sanders could have been a borderline Olympian. So if you are faster then prime time I recommend you start training for the Olympics.

161297[/snapback]

All of that assumes a constant speed throughout 100. Not doubting you, just saying...

in my better days i was a jack of all trades, master of none. i could compete with anyone and hold my own,not necessarily always victorious, but very very very rarely would i look idiotic in the process. and i have competed against some big timers, from ex-cuse hoops players in a weekly game we used to have, to other former nfl players in pcik up games and junior football games. my goal was to always be competent, not good, just to play correctly and effectively., i never had the size to competitively past middle school age, but in rec leagues etc, i am always able to hold my own ground.

Or the 'extra pass', as Dean Smith would say.  It works every time, but you don't score.  Can't have that.

161263[/snapback]

Basketball is the most beautiful game in the world when it is played correctly, and the ugliest when it is not. (This is why I generally hate the NBA.) There's no better feeling in sports than playing hoops with a bunch of guys who like to pass, set picks, move without the ball, and create the proper spacing on the floor. (Ever throw a backdoor pass, or receive one, in a pickup game? That's when you know you're playing with people who know the game.) And there are few worse feelings in sports than playing hoops with a bunch of guys who want to do everything themselves.

in my  better days i was a jack of all trades, master of none.  i could compete with anyone and hold my own,not necessarily always victorious, but very very very rarely would i look idiotic in the process.  and i have competed against some big timers, from ex-cuse hoops players in a weekly game we used to have, to other former nfl players in pcik up games and junior football games.  my goal was to always be competent, not good, just to play correctly and effectively.,  i never had the size to competitively past middle school age, but in rec leagues etc, i am always able to hold my own ground.

161314[/snapback]

wow. You used the words "I", "jack", and "master" all in the same sentence and kept the post clean. Bravo.

Soccer was my sport, I played at Canisuis, we were only D-III but it was very competitive. Played one year of All-Navy. Also many year of slow pitch softball in Navy. But alas, the knees went and 4 surgeries later my active sports career is over. I coach high school soccer, carry a 17 handicap for golf and had been playing in a C league for adult hockey....stopped playing hockey at 13 (that checking hurt) and picked it up again at 36. So now at 44 i wish the body could more, god i remember the days of 160lbs and quick (225lbs now) I still think in my mind I could do alot but you have to adjust with time.

on the MS, do you use one of the big 4 drugs?  My wife was diagnosed last year and uses Copaxone, daily sticks but she thinks its helping.

161142[/snapback]

Copaxone - daily - for about threee years now. You get used to skin popping. :doh:

Only one remission in ten years.

I used betaseron for a couple years but it had too many side effects.

If you (or your wife) want to talk about it, PM me.

I play basketball twice a week with the same 10-15 guys.  I'm the oldest guy out there and it shows (boy does it show!), it's a great sweat, though the knee kills.

Interesting point.  I ran the Boston Marathon in 2001 at age 50.  They print the first 14,000 finishers in a book.  I was the eighth name from the end. What a burner!

161127[/snapback]

Dude, that's awesome.

4.2?

Not to be a prick but unless you run a low 10 second 100 you don't run a 4.2. In fact Deon Sanders set the record at the combine running a 4.29.  Anything in that range is world class speed, if you truly got it then congrats.

Most football/track coaches don't know how to take accurate 40 times, and unless its done electronically odds are the times are bogus.  Consider this, like I said Deon Sanders has the fastest 40 in combine history at 4.29. What does he run in the 100? 10.26. Sanders could have been a borderline Olympian. So if you are faster then prime time I recommend you start training for the Olympics.

161297[/snapback]

I've heard conflicting stories on Deion's 40 times. Some say he ran a 4.29, others say it was a 4.19. Either way, it was blazing fast! The best 40 I ever ran was a 4.5, and I was a sprinter/hurdler for my track team! Running a 4.29 or a 4.19 is oustanding. I also heard that Herschel Walker supposedly ran a 4.2 once.

In any event, with a 10.29 100 time, he wouldn't be able to compete at the Olympics. People have run that slow, but usually due to weather conditions or something like that. In optimum conditions, expect the top sprinters to run in the 9.9-9.8 range.

All of that assumes a constant speed throughout 100. Not doubting you, just saying...

161306[/snapback]

Many athletes with 4.2 speed can train in that consistency over 100 meters. My point was that a 4.2 40 is incredibly rare yet a bunch of high school football coaches have these kids believe they actually run that fast.

Another fact to further prove how amazing a 4.2 40 is. Ben Johnson was widely recognized as one of the fastest starters in Olympic history. In the 1988 Seoul Olympics Johnson ran a world record 9.79 100 meter dash. The time was disallowed shortly after when he tested positive for steroids. You know how fast he ran the first 40 yards in for that race? 4.26

I play basketball twice a week with the same 10-15 guys.  I'm the oldest guy out there and it shows (boy does it show!), it's a great sweat, though the knee kills.

Interesting point.  I ran the Boston Marathon in 2001 at age 50.  They print the first 14,000 finishers in a book.  I was the eighth name from the end. What a burner!

161127[/snapback]

Dude, that's awesome.

161345[/snapback]

That sure is. Way to go!!!!

I played football until I realized that everyone else was bigger than 5'6" and I realized that was out, I enjoy golf, but on Long Island there is way too much waiting around to play 9 holes for 4 hours, it's just not worth taking that much time out of the day.

Now my biggest sport is skiing, I am a professional ski instructor (I'm certified level II), Although I am in semi retirement as I havent been working at my resort (Mount Snow VT) in 5 years. I still maintain my cert level and hope to go back to teaching when the kids get older and less dependant.

As Exhiled In Illinois stated, it's a great sport for families, It can get expensive, but what other sport can the whole family do together as a group? I find even when the kids go off in one direction and explore, my wife and I will take our daughter and go another way, we will meet up at the end of the day and swap stories. My sons 18 and 16 are still trying to finally topple the old man (44), but I still have an edge on the race course and on the all mountain tour. Although they may on occasion get to the bottom first, It's usually reckless behavior that gets em there.

I've heard conflicting stories on Deion's 40 times.  Some say he ran a 4.29, others say it was a 4.19.  Either way, it was blazing fast!  The best 40 I ever ran was a 4.5, and I was a sprinter/hurdler for my track team!  Running a 4.29 or a 4.19 is oustanding.  I also heard that Herschel Walker supposedly ran a 4.2 once.

In any event, with a 10.29 100 time, he wouldn't be able to compete at the Olympics.  People have run that slow, but usually due to weather conditions or something like that.  In optimum conditions, expect the top sprinters to run in the 9.9-9.8 range.

161347[/snapback]

I meant to say he had borderline Olympic speed, but your right about 100 meter times. As for the conflicting reports its because he ran the 4.19 at his personal workouts at Florida State. Optimal conditions/wind aided etc. The 4.29 was run at the NFL combine and is still the fastest time ever recorded for that event.

I played high school football and basketball....and was a walk on at a Div III college as a Offensive/Defensive linemen.....

I got hurt and before I could get it back together athletically my priorities had changed so I dove into the military (Air Force) where I did play in organized sports (mostly football)

My wife was also athletically gifted....before she met me she had been a very good softball player (got looked at for scholarships) and she was a wrestler by the time she met me.....not too long therafter her priorities also changed

And of course those priorities are children.....I now have a son that is much better athletically then I was at his age and a daughter who is gifted in other ways......we now put our energy into them.

One piece of advice I always give my son....

- Make sure whatever you do that you get your education

- Take advantage of the physical skills that you are going to have....because they dont last

I played football until I realized that everyone else was bigger than 5'6" and I realized that was out, I enjoy golf, but  on Long Island there is way too much waiting around to play 9 holes for 4 hours, it's just not worth taking that much time out of the day.

Now my biggest sport is skiing, I am a professional ski instructor (I'm certified level II), Although I am in semi retirement as I havent been working at my resort (Mount Snow VT) in 5 years. I still maintain my cert level and hope to go back to teaching when the kids get older and less dependant.

As Exhiled In Illinois stated, it's a great sport for families, It can get expensive, but what other sport can the whole family do together as a group? I find even when the kids go off in one direction and explore, my wife and I will take our daughter and go another way, we will meet up at the end of the day and swap stories.  My sons 18 and 16 are still trying to finally topple the old man (44), but I still have an edge on the race course and on the all mountain tour. Although they may on occasion get to the bottom first, It's usually reckless behavior that gets em there.

161362[/snapback]

That's awesome Guffalo! That is exactly what I meant. Like you said, it can get a little expensive but, considering that you are using a multi-million dollar facility for 8 hours... Weigh in all the other intangibles, it is a great way to spend the winter months with the family.

If I was a little closer to some bigger hills (500' +) I 'd think think about pursuing a career. With my job, there is always a chance that it will go back to be seasonal, that would be great now that I am more financially stable. Go figure? I REALLY, REALLY, just wish I was a few hours closer to bigger hills. Anyway, it is a great learning enviro here for my kids...

The ski-bar thingy is the greatest idea that they ever came up with for getting very young kids innvolved. I have skiied my son all over resorts since he was three... Always felt comfortable getting him down any kind of slope! It really gets them innvolved, sliding, riding the chair without fear, and makes them feel accomplished and confident... It takes all the negative learning out of it... I still remember wallowing with the old plate bindings (man the snow would jam up on those bastards!), runaway straps and what not!

With ski technology (shapes, ect...) kids/beginners got it easy today! :(

Skiing is such a wonderful skill. BTW, I like the Yukon Cornelius avatar!

If you are ever in the area (WNY, NorthEast... What not, drop me a line/PM... My sister lives in Enosburg, VT... Outside Jay... I sometimes take some time off to be up there.).

I really, really need to get out of Illinois... :doh: