How good are you at sports!!!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I am some what athletic. Played hockey, football, & Baseball..some @ college level. Still play hockey in a league & lift weights. Kids & wife take up most of my time now. Once my son is involved in sports I will devote time coaching. Wish I persued baseball more.. had 3 solid pitches, 2 seem fastball in upper 80's in HS. I thought I would be better in Hockey.. wrong! LOL!

i'm actually pretty good at most sports, hockey being my best...i could have played div 3, but i went for academics instead at a div 1 school...it crossed my mind to try out for D-I as a walk on, but then intelligence (i am 5'9 150) got the better of me...i would have been killed...

but i will play anything, almost any sport, because i love getting outside and running around...i have too much energy to sit on my ass all day...

161095[/snapback]

I play basketball twice a week with the same 10-15 guys. I'm the oldest guy out there and it shows (boy does it show!), it's a great sweat, though the knee kills.

Interesting point. I ran the Boston Marathon in 2001 at age 50. They print the first 14,000 finishers in a book. I was the eighth name from the end. What a burner!

Above average.  I have started at anything I have ever played, but other than baseball never really been close to the best on any team.  I have a cannon for an arm (even with a torn rotator and cart.) so usually pitched, played short or third.  Fielding was a little weak. 

Decent shooter and ball handler in hoops.  Not good enough to beat folks one on one but smart enough to play team ball.

My golf game has gone from a 20 handicap last year to about a 13 right now.  If I can learn to putt less than 40 per round this should be mid-single digits.  Rarely loose and will usually step my game up to the level of competition.

Played some tennis, again better than a lot of folks worse than others. 

Just an okay lacrosse player. 

Played FB and safety in football at almost every level.  Not fast but quick.  I was usually the smallest guy, but again since I knew how to block, pick up blitzes and catch, I got to start.  It's amazing how many people cannot really fathom how to block who play football. 

Wrestled a couple years in highschool.  Got varsity letter, best year was 12-5, the other year I was 7-5.  So again, a little better than average. 

I guess overall I can hold my own at most sports against anyone except the best players.

161032[/snapback]

I know how you feel about the golf. I am a 15 handicapper, shot a 93 the other day with 46 putts! If I could ever get the putts down, I would be a pretty decent golfer. I 3 putt way too much, sometimes 4 putt, and almost never 1 putt or make a putt of any real length.

Frustrating, but I know where I need to practice...

i'm proud to say that I'm the Ryan Leaf of Hogging. Tried my hand at it, but was not very committed to it.

161126[/snapback]

I'm the Billy Joe Hobert of Hogging. Never really thought I'd actually do it, was around the game several times, and when I finally got thrown in, I was like a deer in headlights.

I played football, soccer and track in HS. Was never great but always loved to compete. Did a lot of backpacking (hey if hunting is a sport so is backpacking). Used to get dropped off with a pack, geodesic survey maps and a compass in Allegheny Nat. Forest and once did about a hundred miles of the Appalachian trail in Vermont - nine days in the Green mountains.

Later, I was a baseball coach for my kids. Still later I played slow pitch softball until I got optic neuritus and could not track the ball accurately. I kept playing (even after being dx'ed with MS) until a bad hopper broke my nose. :)

Now most of my sports are spectator sports. :lol:

Never beat myself up for not being the best, as long as I was trying my best.

I took up dirt bike riding a year ago at the age of 30. I dislocated my shoulder on my fourth ride and it was a miracle that I was able to deploy with my unit that got called up five weeks later. I was sweating it big time, but ended up pulling it off. Just got a new CRF 250 R and she is one bad ass biotch.

Other than that I play in a beer ball softball league.

I know how you feel about the golf. I am a 15 handicapper, shot a 93 the other day with 46 putts!  If I could ever get the putts down, I would be a pretty decent golfer.  I 3 putt way too much, sometimes 4 putt, and almost never 1 putt or make a putt of any real length.

Frustrating, but I know where I need to practice...

161134[/snapback]

What really sad was I used to shoot mid 90's and 32-35 putt. But the rest of the game sucked. Now I get the rest of the game going and my putting has dived bigtime. I used to average 240 driving with an occasional bomb, but a lot of times scattered. I now average a lot closer to 270-280 on the drives and hit 10-12 fairways out of 14 driveable holes. This sure makes approach shots a lot easier.

I played football, soccer and track in HS. Was never great but always loved to compete. Did a lot of backpacking (hey if hunting is a sport so is backpacking). Used to get dropped off with a pack, geodesic survey maps and a compass in Allegheny Nat. Forest and once did about a hundred miles of the Appalachian trail in Vermont - nine days in the Green mountains.

Later, I was a baseball coach for my kids. Still later I played slow pitch softball until I got optic neuritus and could not track the ball accurately. I kept playing (even after being dx'ed with MS) until a bad hopper broke my nose.  :)

Now most of my sports are spectator sports.  :lol:

Never beat myself up for not being the best, as long as I was trying my best.

161138[/snapback]

on the MS, do you use one of the big 4 drugs? My wife was diagnosed last year and uses Copaxone, daily sticks but she thinks its helping.

At 31, Still play hockey in 2 competitive leagues and for an adult travel team. It's inline (ice is mucho expensive in Atlanta), but I enjoy the competition and social aspect. I wish you could hit in inline, because it takes away a big part of my game :)

Most of the guys I play with are from the north (Canada, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Buffalo, Michigan) so the level of play is actually quite good with several ex-junior/college and one ex-pro player.

Still an avid weightlifter although my shoulder has been limiting my gym time. Man...I turned 30 and it was like hitting a wall. All the little injuries that used to be gone in a week or two now turn into long drawn out nagging pains.

Golf....I have my days. Depends on who I'm playing with and the amount of beer in the cooler.

As I get older(age 35) and my available freetime dwindles, I have decide which sports I want to play or stop playing. I have grown up playing sports. My friendships and my relationship with my father hinges on sports (not comepletely, but to a large degree).

My dilemma, is that I am not that good at most of them. As a huge sports fan, it is difficult to admit, but it is true. I currently play ice hockey in a mens league. I do ok in a "B" level league, but I am playing in Florida. I have been playing golf for 10 years now and I just can't get better (I try and try- do all types of reading, take lessons) it helps but I still suck. I do excell in softball, but i haven't played in a few years because my friends aren't interested. Growing up, I was very competitive in baseball. I did ok in football and basketball. 

My wife heather and I just had our first baby a month ago (time and money are limited) and I am trying plan what sports I can afford to do and which sports make me feel good about myself. Golf just seems to destroy my self esteem. I am trying to find a sport I can play and be really good at on an extreamly limited time schedule. My question to you is, how do you react to not being good at a sport? Do you accept your limitations and simply enjoy the game? Must you be great at your sport to continue playing it? Does being a bad player crush you, like it does me? For those  of you in my shoes, how do you handle it?

I think I will start playing softball again, but I also think about fishing because how can you be bad at fishing??? Just someone who wishes they could walk the walk like they talk the talk about sports. Doug in Clearwater.

160953[/snapback]

Try bowling. I'm just about the same age as you, and I use bowling not only for fitness, but a means of socialization.

I love my league.

You oculd also weight-lift and run

As I get older(age 35) and my available freetime dwindles, I have decide which sports I want to play or stop playing. I have grown up playing sports. My friendships and my relationship with my father hinges on sports (not comepletely, but to a large degree).

My dilemma, is that I am not that good at most of them. As a huge sports fan, it is difficult to admit, but it is true. I currently play ice hockey in a mens league. I do ok in a "B" level league, but I am playing in Florida. I have been playing golf for 10 years now and I just can't get better (I try and try- do all types of reading, take lessons) it helps but I still suck. I do excell in softball, but i haven't played in a few years because my friends aren't interested. Growing up, I was very competitive in baseball. I did ok in football and basketball. 

My wife heather and I just had our first baby a month ago (time and money are limited) and I am trying plan what sports I can afford to do and which sports make me feel good about myself. Golf just seems to destroy my self esteem. I am trying to find a sport I can play and be really good at on an extreamly limited time schedule. My question to you is, how do you react to not being good at a sport? Do you accept your limitations and simply enjoy the game? Must you be great at your sport to continue playing it? Does being a bad player crush you, like it does me? For those  of you in my shoes, how do you handle it?

I think I will start playing softball again, but I also think about fishing because how can you be bad at fishing??? Just someone who wishes they could walk the walk like they talk the talk about sports. Doug in Clearwater.

160953[/snapback]

I played Division-I baseball in college. Played mostly 2B and some SS. Couldn't hit very well in college though.

Was a very good high school baseball player, and decent enough at football (WR). Lucky enough to play in the PA state final four in baseball twice (lost both), and played in two state championship games in 3 Rivers Stadium in football. Although, the first one, we won, I was only a freshman and didn't play. Just to dress was awesome though. All freshman could dress if they wanted. The second I played (nothing thrown to me) so I'm kinda blessed I guess.

Gave up baseball now, but still play some adult hockey here in VA once in a while!

I'm now a high school football coach (D coordinator) and baseball coach!

I enjoy alpine skiing. I have been skiing since I was 6 years old, about 30 years know. It really isn't that expensive, It is just a matter of finding the time in an ever so short winter. Since you live in a warm climate, I guess it is out of the question... Unless you plan a trip once or twice a year... Then again it might get expensive (maybe not so much as a Disney World vacation, though?).

Here in the flat Mid-West (been here for 12 years) it gets tough... Lots of small hills though... (Being near Chicago, I prefer, Galena, IL (Chestnut)... Even though it is 3 hours away. The Lodging is on the Hill (500' vertical) and they always have snow since they are on a bluff along the Mississippi River and can make as much as the cold permits). My kids are both 6 and 2. I started my 6 year old boy when he was 3 and just started my daughter this year... Kids USUALLY SKI FREE under 6 or so (depending on the area). It really works great if you can get them skiing independently during the free ages. It is a great family sport, picnics, etc... Great winter activity.

Anybody else out there that loves to ski and has a young family? I strongly encourage you to look into these training devices from AppleRise Sports. They work great... You can usually tote a kid, as soon as the start walking, down any hill you are comfortable with... SLIDE TIME IS THE KEY!!!

AppleRise

Right now my son is independently holding a nice wedge down idermediate hills while I tote my daughter along my side with the Ski-Bar. The two most valuable things ever invented are:

Ski-Bar

and, Lift

Use the lift for effortless "hoisting" of the kid after a fall or while seating them on a chair lift.

It is such a wonderful family activity. If you have two strong skiers in your family, the quicker you can progress the kids. My wife holds her own down most of the intermediate hills yet, prefers me to use the bar.

Thanks to these new devices, skiing has really become a great family sport with little kids... And they (the kids) think it is a blast!

Here are some of last years pictures (At Chestnut) with my son. This year's pictures will have my daughter gracing them on hill!

Feb 2004 Photo Album

Think SNOW!

Basketball - I completely suck. I'm Mr. Airball!

Golf - I've never played.

Soccer - Never had interest in any sport you can't touch the ball with your hands.

Which leads me to Football and Baseball.

Football, I've only played in flag and street tackle organized leagues. When I was in school (and in better shape), I was told by several coaches that if my head was on right, I could have become an All American Linebacker in College because of my knowledge of the game at such a young age, and pure talent I have shown in the leagues and Tourney's I participated in. Unfortunately I had a loose screw and didn't want to listen to anyone as a kid. :)

I played in many baseball leagues and made all stars three times as a 3rd baseman. Now that i'm not in the shape anymore to play football like I used to, I feel I can still play baseball pretty well.