How good are you at sports!!!!!

As I get older(age 35) and my available freetime dwindles, I have decide which sports I want to play or stop playing. I have grown up playing sports. My friendships and my relationship with my father hinges on sports (not comepletely, but to a large degree).

My dilemma, is that I am not that good at most of them. As a huge sports fan, it is difficult to admit, but it is true. I currently play ice hockey in a mens league. I do ok in a "B" level league, but I am playing in Florida. I have been playing golf for 10 years now and I just can't get better (I try and try- do all types of reading, take lessons) it helps but I still suck. I do excell in softball, but i haven't played in a few years because my friends aren't interested. Growing up, I was very competitive in baseball. I did ok in football and basketball.

My wife heather and I just had our first baby a month ago (time and money are limited) and I am trying plan what sports I can afford to do and which sports make me feel good about myself. Golf just seems to destroy my self esteem. I am trying to find a sport I can play and be really good at on an extreamly limited time schedule. My question to you is, how do you react to not being good at a sport? Do you accept your limitations and simply enjoy the game? Must you be great at your sport to continue playing it? Does being a bad player crush you, like it does me? For those of you in my shoes, how do you handle it?

I think I will start playing softball again, but I also think about fishing because how can you be bad at fishing??? Just someone who wishes they could walk the walk like they talk the talk about sports. Doug in Clearwater.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"m 33 with 2 kids and havent had time nor the energy to play in any organized leagues. I used to play softball, basketball and sandlot football. Of course with age, the bumps and bruises take much longer to heal now. Also play golf but like you, I just cant seem to get any better and my swing (screwed up) is now in my head.

Sometime next year, I'm going to start hunting with my father, we used to fish together when I was a kid but stopped once I went to college and never re-started.

I used to play some slow pitch softball. I was a passable first baseman. Our shotstop was the size of an NFL linebacker with a canon for an arm and he was the one usually throwing me the ball. I missed the catch once with the sun directly in my eyes. The ball careened off my glove, hurt my right shoulder, then hit me in the jaw. Yow! I moved and there's no league now that fits my lifestyle. I'm also a good bit older.

If there were any tennis players around this small town, I would still be playing tennis. I'm pretty good, with a hard serve (for an amateur) and I can make all the shots.

I'm crap at most sports. I gave up golf when i was 19, I was always too slow for soccer, i can't pick out the ball in cricket or baseball cos I hate wearing glasses when I play sports, Tennis is just a game where you whack it hard and hope it stays in for me, I can't skate... I could go on.

I AM a good Lineman. O or D, but probably maily O. I am strong, explosive from my stance, not fast, but fine for the UK, I know how to play the positions on the line... I'm no superstar nor could I try out for NFLE, but I do OK. I'll stop when I'm injured badly enough or when I have kids (i'll probably coach)... Between that and working out thats plenty sports for me

I haven't played organized sports since highschool. In highschool I played football and spent the offseason in a boxing gym working out. I was in great shape and could run the 40 in 4.2 back then. I would love to play college football now, but just don't have the size for it.

I played Jr hockey for the Soo Greyhounds back in the day. I also played Jr lacrosse for the Oshawa Green Gaels.

I still play Sr hockey in a very competitive league. I no longer play lacrosse. I golf a ton and am down to a 4 handicap. I throw darts in a houseleague. I play squash a couple times a week to stay in shape and to burn off the beer I consume while throwing darts.

I'm 37 and in pretty good shape. I get told I look 27. I used to be a great football player, I sometimes sound like Al Bundy ("Scored 4 TD's in one game!!!").

I am not very good at sports anymore. ACL ruptured at a field near a RWS parking lot in 90 (we played drunken tackle football in the snow waiting for traffic to die down after a Bills game). Busted that knee up again while skiing 4 years ago.

In good shape, but not very flexible any more, nor adventurous enough to try anything.

I'm great at Fantasy Football though.

I still play basketball twice a week during the winter and softball during the summer.

I'm average at both sports and played in HS along with football.

I'd stick with basketball if you enjoy it. I find it much more "fun" in the sense that I go to get away from the wife, get rid of some stress and get some excercise. I like to compete as well, but not to the level where it's all I'm playing for.

My experience with softball is that no matter who you play with, people end up taking it WAY to serious.

Hey Doug, you probably know my answer already but here goes. I would reccommend going down to one of the local softball complexes in your area, go the main office and tell them you're interested in getting on a softball team. They probably have a list for you to sign that would include your phone number. Believe me, someone will call you and ask you to play. There are always teams looking for someone that is willing to commit to showing up every week. When I first moved to Florida, I didn't know very many people and no one played softball that I knew. I went to a complex, signed up and had a call within a week. I've been playing all 4-10 weeks seasons for the last 8 years several nights a week. It costs very little to play, except for the extracurricular activities, ie beer/bar. Golf is just too expensive sometimes and if you suck, like I do, well, it's just not worth the aggrevation. You're good at softball, from what I remember playing with you in a few leagues, and it's somthing fun to do. Get into that, you will be amazed how many guys will end up asking you to play other nights if you show that you're committed. Hope that helps. Talk to you soon. Good Luck

Above average. I have started at anything I have ever played, but other than baseball never really been close to the best on any team. I have a cannon for an arm (even with a torn rotator and cart.) so usually pitched, played short or third. Fielding was a little weak.

Decent shooter and ball handler in hoops. Not good enough to beat folks one on one but smart enough to play team ball.

My golf game has gone from a 20 handicap last year to about a 13 right now. If I can learn to putt less than 40 per round this should be mid-single digits. Rarely loose and will usually step my game up to the level of competition.

Played some tennis, again better than a lot of folks worse than others.

Just an okay lacrosse player.

Played FB and safety in football at almost every level. Not fast but quick. I was usually the smallest guy, but again since I knew how to block, pick up blitzes and catch, I got to start. It's amazing how many people cannot really fathom how to block who play football.

Wrestled a couple years in highschool. Got varsity letter, best year was 12-5, the other year I was 7-5. So again, a little better than average.

I guess overall I can hold my own at most sports against anyone except the best players.

I'm 43 and have been playing in a 6 team Friday night hockey league for the past 2 years, after not playing since I was a teen. The age range is from mid 20's to early 50's. The best player played Canadian junior hockey. If we ranked the players as A,B, or C, I would be a C player. I know I'll never be as good as the A players, so I just try to improve myself as best I can, and try to overcome my physical limitations by playing smarter; better positioning, anticipating plays, and learning little tricks by watching the other players. The good thing is that everyone else recognizes that we're not all A players, and if we get beat on a play, they realize at least we tried our best.

My stamina has left me since I entered the IT field :) , so I can't run around nearly as long as I used to and I don't work out anymore but I'm still a real good QB in football (Can still throw hard and accuratelly, long of @ 54 yards) and still a good outside shooter in basketball. My WR/LB days are certainly behind me though...

i'm actually pretty good at most sports, hockey being my best...i could have played div 3, but i went for academics instead at a div 1 school...it crossed my mind to try out for D-I as a walk on, but then intelligence (i am 5'9 150) got the better of me...i would have been killed...

but i will play anything, almost any sport, because i love getting outside and running around...i have too much energy to sit on my ass all day...

I could only do a few things well. I had a decent and accurate arm, a very good three-point shot, an uncannily tricky overhand serve in volleyball, and a good, flat, line-drive swing in baseball. The problem was that I was short (growing up), skinny (until I hit my thirties), weak, and slow. So I could never be the all-around athlete I wanted to be, but in the context of a team game I was able to use my intelligence and knowledge of the game to mask my weaknesses and amplify my strengths. It helped to have teammates who knew my strengths -- if I played pickup hoops with a group of strangers, I might not score a point. But when I played with people who knew me and could set screens and see me cutting backdoor, I was likely as not to be the leading scorer.

I enjoy team sports much more than individual pursuits precisely because the team concept allows me to play to my strengths, whereas individual sports just expose my weaknesses. That's also why I enjoy golfing in a scramble format rather than head-to-head.