Chargers relocating to LA makes sense

Here is the answer to all of everyones problems.....the Chargers should be the only team considered by the NFL (with the exception of maybe Jacksonville) to relocate to Los Angeles. First of all, California does not need 4 NFL teams because 3 is enough and if they could somehow steal the Vikings from Minnesota like they did the Lakers(by the way they should haved changed the name because there is no lake near LA what so ever that)that would just be horrible for that dedicated fanbase. But seriously the Chargers would only be moving a little over 100 miles north where their dedicated fans could still see the games in a brand new stadium. Also by the way, chargers stadium has problems filling up at times even with a playoff caliber team year in and out and PLUS, their stadium was built in the 1960s with no new one thought of being built in sight. But this would be best for everyone in this LA situation especially for keeping our BILLS in Buffalo, except for maybe San Diego.....but screw them anyways because they stole the BRAVES from us!!!

But also maybe Jacksonville because Florida doesnt need 3 teams

<title edited>

Here is the answer to all of everyones problems.....the Chargers should be the only team considered by the NFL (with the exception of maybe Jacksonville) to relocate to Los Angeles. First of all, California does not need 4 NFL teams because 3 is enough and if they could somehow steal the Vikings from Minnesota like they did the Lakers(by the way they should haved changed the name because there is no lake near LA what so ever that)that would just be horrible for that dedicated fanbase. But seriously the Chargers would only be moving a little over 100 miles north where their dedicated fans could still see the games in a brand new stadium. Also by the way, chargers stadium has problems filling up at times even with a playoff caliber team year in and out and PLUS, their stadium was built in the 1960s with no new one thought of being built in sight. But this would be best for everyone in this LA situation especially for keeping our BILLS in Buffalo, except for maybe San Diego.....but screw them anyways because they stole the BRAVES from us!!!

I agree. With all the people in the community willing to step up to keep the Bills here I just don't see them moving not even to Toronto which was just a money grab by Ralph.

I agree. With all the people in the community willing to step up to keep the Bills here I just don't see them moving not even to Toronto which was just a money grab by Ralph.

In an open auction of the bills after Ralph's death, with the team going to the highest bidder regardless of location (these are Ralph's stated wishes), it is hard to imagine the highest bidder seeing Buffalo, New York as the best place to make any kind of a financial return on his $800 million(that's with an M) investment. Just don't see it. There will definately be bids tied to keeping the team in low low revenue WNY (lowest ticket price in the league, empty luxury suites, tiny merchandise sales, none of which can be increased given the poor local economy), but I cannot imagine those bids would be enough to win. Happy to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it.

In an open auction of the bills after Ralph's death, with the team going to the highest bidder regardless of location (these are Ralph's stated wishes), it is hard to imagine the highest bidder seeing Buffalo, New York as the best place to make any kind of a financial return on his $800 million(that's with an M) investment. Just don't see it. There will definately be bids tied to keeping the team in low low revenue WNY (lowest ticket price in the league, empty luxury suites, tiny merchandise sales, none of which can be increased given the poor local economy), but I cannot imagine those bids would be enough to win. Happy to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it.

I doubt you see the Bills fetch 800 mil in an auction. A more realistic number is 650 mil. The Vikings and Rams just sold for 600-650 million dollars each (when you figure that one guy bought the remaining % of the Rams and calculate it as if he had bought the whole team). The Vikings are a much better team in a bigger city (more valuable than Buffalo) and the Rams have a 10 yr old stadium in a much bigger market (more valuable than Buffalo). If you believe that the Bills cant compete because they are a small market team, and factor in that we have been the worst team in the league over the past decade, I will be absolutely astonished if the Bills sell for over 650 Mil. Remember, no new owner is going to negotiate moving the team until after then own the team.

Dont worry guys, I just bought a Mega Millions ticket. I plan on winning the $201 Million dollar jackpot and being a big player in Kellys Ownership group :thumbsup:

Edited by Thoner7

Don’t worry guys, I just bought a Mega Millions ticket. I plan on winning the $201 Million dollar jackpot and being a big player in Kelly’s Ownership group :thumbsup:

I just bought one, too, Thoner, and if I am lucky enough to win as well our combined $402 million would go a long way to...

...wait...

ohhhhhhhh!!!!

:P

Link? <_<

i dont mean to rain on any parades, but as soon as that LA slot is filled Toronto is my bet for the next "hot city" to put a team. Switch out Buffalo and Toronto for San Diego and LA and the differences in your paragraph are marginal at best. Be careful what you argue today, it might come back to haunt you tomorrow.

I was only saying that the chargers would make the most sense to leave

From your perspective The Chargers make the most sense to leave so as to give you peace of mind that this move would then make the Bills less likely to leave. Your logic is flawed when you say it is only 100 miles away, blah blah blah...You can use that same rationale in Buffalo and Toronto...Only 100 miles away, Buffalo's stadium is old, not getting a new one...

The truth is San Diego has been playing here for 50 years and the team has a strong, long time loyal fan base just like Buffalo does.

Dont wish that on San Diego just so Buffalo becomes less likely to leave. It's bad karma and ususally ends up biting you in the ass, because here is what happens if San Diego goes to L.A....The Bils get a new 5-10 year deal in O.P. a few years pass in San Diego...The City gets its sh@t together and are in a position to get a new stadium built and want a team...guess who they go after? Buffalo! At the end of the day, as much as I love Buffalo, San Diego is a way better city-especially for holding Superbowls-It is a proven NFL city and the league will ultimately want a team in the US 8th largest city.

The one city that does not deserve or need a tream is Jacksonville. It should be an absolute no-brainer to move them to LA-but no one wants to admit failure so they will keep them there as they continue to die on the vine.

And for the record-San Diego didnt steal The Braves. The owner traded franchises with The Celtics owner because he wanted to move The Celtics to Florida or California. The league said Hell No, Boston was way to important of an NBA city to let move-So he traded for The Braves-an expansion team and less legendary franchise, they proceeded to sell off all talent, let ticket base decline, and was able to move the team after citing poor support. The league ok'd the move and the rest is history....

Get your facts straight and dont wish ill will on San Diego and its loyal fans because you hope it keeps you from having to worry about the Bills leaving (UNLESS you are hoping for Jacksonville to leave of course-because they should be relocated-Then its OK- But Not San Diego (or Buffalo!)

From your perspective The Chargers make the most sense to leave so as to give you peace of mind that this move would then make the Bills less likely to leave. Your logic is flawed when you say it is only 100 miles away, blah blah blah...You can use that same rationale in Buffalo and Toronto...Only 100 miles away, Buffalo's stadium is old, not getting a new one...

The truth is San Diego has been playing here for 50 years and the team has a strong, long time loyal fan base just like Buffalo does.

Dont wish that on San Diego just so Buffalo becomes less likely to leave. It's bad karma and ususally ends up biting you in the ass, because here is what happens if San Diego goes to L.A....The Bils get a new 5-10 year deal in O.P. a few years pass in San Diego...The City gets its sh@t together and are in a position to get a new stadium built and want a team...guess who they go after? Buffalo! At the end of the day, as much as I love Buffalo, San Diego is a way better city-especially for holding Superbowls-It is a proven NFL city and the league will ultimately want a team in the US 8th largest city.

The one city that does not deserve or need a tream is Jacksonville. It should be an absolute no-brainer to move them to LA-but no one wants to admit failure so they will keep them there as they continue to die on the vine.

And for the record-San Diego didnt steal The Braves. The owner traded franchises with The Celtics owner because he wanted to move The Celtics to Florida or California. The league said Hell No, Boston was way to important of an NBA city to let move-So he traded for The Braves-an expansion team and less legendary franchise, they proceeded to sell off all talent, let ticket base decline, and was able to move the team after citing poor support. The league ok'd the move and the rest is history....

Get your facts straight and dont wish ill will on San Diego and its loyal fans because you hope it keeps you from having to worry about the Bills leaving (UNLESS you are hoping for Jacksonville to leave of course-because they should be relocated-Then its OK- But Not San Diego (or Buffalo!)

Taking this a bit personal?

If its a PROVEN NFL city why does san diego often not sell out its home games even though they are good year in and out?

I keep reading here that Ralph stated that the team would be sold to the highest bidder after his death, but when I do a Google search to try to confirm that, the only news stories I find pre-date the announcement of the existing Toronto deal. As far as I can tell, after the Toronto deal was announced, Ralph hasn't wanted to talk about the issue.

Anybody have a link to a story AFTER the existing Totonto deal was announced where Ralph still says the team will be sold to the highest bidder after his death?

Thanks in advance.

If its a PROVEN NFL city why does san diego often not sell out its home games even though they are good year in and out?

because when you are good year in and year out people get bored until they think you are great. the bills started to have issues with this later in the superbowl runs if i recall correctly. teams fans see on the rise tends to create that buzz/frenzy to get tickets, and in a lot of ways, san diego stalled out for a lot of the last decade. they were good, but i think the public probably got conditioned to "whatever, they are going to go 14-2 and choke" which is a tough spot for ticket sales. until the superbowl is on the table for real, you arent going to get the sellout buzz back.

I keep reading here that Ralph stated that the team would be sold to the highest bidder after his death, but when I do a Google search to try to confirm that, the only news stories I find pre-date the announcement of the existing Toronto deal. As far as I can tell, after the Toronto deal was announced, Ralph hasn't wanted to talk about the issue.

Anybody have a link to a story AFTER the existing Totonto deal was announced where Ralph still says the team will be sold to the highest bidder after his death?

Thanks in advance.

It was never said. I believe it was Jerry Sullivan who alleged that Ralph told him this.

<title edited>

Ah, I love when history is re-written. Not! Our infamous Owner Paul Snyder decided he was done with the Brave, and to pocket a profit, he sold Moses Malone, Bob McAdoo, and then the team for a lousy 6.2 million. Theft? That was Paul Snyder, John Y Brown and Irv Levin who screwed Buffalo, not San Diego.

Buffalo Braves

<title edited>

Why does New York need three teams but Florida not? And California doesn't need four? I don't follow that logic at all...that would like a Vikings fan telling you to just root for the Jets or drive to Cleveland.

I am a huge native Bills fan despite living in San Diego, but I don't get why the Chargers should leave San Diego and how that somehow solidifies the Bills situation.

And despite the current stadium situation (which is all local politics and timing), San Diego is the eighth largest city in the USA and has a 3 million person metro area. Cities in the NFL that are not a 3 million metro area:

St Louis, Tampa, Baltimore, Denver, pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville, Green Bay, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

The real issue here from a logical standpoint is Oakland should not have gotten the Raiders, but we know that is an owner and economics and local politics things, and never defined by what actually makes sense.

So while I hope the Bills stay in Buffalo, your post is pretty silly.

It was never said. I believe it was Jerry Sullivan who alleged that Ralph told him this.

Thanks, Doc.

1. My recent Google search turned up the 6/17/07 "newsletter" link below that cites an interview of Ralph Wilson by Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News for Wilson's statements that (i) the team will be sold after his death, rather than left to his wife or daughters. and (ii) selling a part interest in the team to a Western New Yorker while Ralph lives is "absolutely out."

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2007/06/17/ralph-wilson-says-he-wont-sell-the-bills/

2. The Toronto series plans were announced about 4 months later, in 10/07, per this USA Today article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2007-10-18-toronto-games_N.htm

3. I cannot find any quotes attributed to Wilson after 6/17/07 about what will happen to the team after his death. Based on the Mark Gaughan interview (assuming the 6/17/07 "newsletter" got the quotes right), I have seen no quotes attributed to Wilson about the team being "sold to the highest bidder." Maybe Ralph said that, but if so, I haven't found it. As far as I can tell from Google searching, Ralph merely said that the team would be sold after his death, and everybody just assumes that the sale would be to the highest bidder in an estate sale, because that's how estate sales work.

4. It seems to me like there's another possibility. The Toronto series deal could contain an option for the Toronto people to buy the team upon Ralph's death, at least if he dies while the original or any extension of the Toronto series deal is in force. I am not aware of anything that would prohibit Ralph from conditioning the granting of such an option on the buyers' agreement to always play some specified number or percentage of the team's games in Buffalo (assuming Ralph cares about whether the team stays in Buffalo after his death - - maybe he does, maybe he doesn't). Seems to me like the sales price could be determined by some sort of agreed-upon appraisal mechanism if it wasn't specified in advance.

5. Because the Toronto people could always choose not to exercise such an option (I think I read that Rogers died, and there hasn't been great demand for Toronto game tickets from what I've read), other potential buyers could still be trying to line up for any future estate sale - - NFL franchises don't often become available for purchase.

6. I am NOT saying that such a purchase option exists - - I'm just saying that as far as I can tell, Ralph has never been publicly quoted as saying anything that would be inconsistent with the existence of such a purchase option.

7. If anybody here has a link to any article quoting Wilson as saying anything after 10/07 that would be inconsistent with the existence of an option for the Toronto people to buy the team upon Ralph's death, I'd love to see it.

i dont mean to rain on any parades, but as soon as that LA slot is filled Toronto is my bet for the next "hot city" to put a team. Switch out Buffalo and Toronto for San Diego and LA and the differences in your paragraph are marginal at best. Be careful what you argue today, it might come back to haunt you tomorrow.

Because the Toronto football series has gone so well, right? I get your point & I'd never root for another team to move (except maybe Jac). But SD has been really good for a decade & struggle to sell out. Buf has sucked donkey balls yet gets better crowds.

The Bills aren't going anywhere.