NFLPA tells players to boycott draft

I "get" why the union would want the rookies to boycott the draft...

BUT if I were one of these kids who just spent the last 10 years dreaming of and working towards this moment, I wouldnt skip the draft. Especially considering all of the players currently in the union had THEIR chance to enjoy the draft. Its not these kids' fault that this happens to be the year the players and owners decided to act like brats.

+1, IMO.

If these players take the time to picture themselves in the future being asked what it was like to be drafted so high in the first round, their response would have to be along the lines of " well, if you recall, that was the year the NFLPA disbanded and I was coerced into not attending the ceremony..." For which would come the reply:

"damn, sucks to be you....."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linky

The "union formerly known as the NFLPA" has requested that top college prospects not attend the draft, essentially depriving fans the opportunity to see their top draft choices standing next to the commissioner holding up their team's jersey. Does anyone really care all that much about this?

I was hoping to watch Cam Newton shamefully squirming around in his chair (ala Brady Quinn) as he slides into the latter part of the 1st round :devil:

Thoughts?

Yes I do Care about this alot. Think about it for a minute everyone here reading this. You waited you're whole life to get to this point, and you have the former NFLPA telling you not to attend. To not hold your jersey up proudly at your accomplishment. Put yourself in the kids shoes.

I'd say F them and the players who stand in their way. This is supposed to be their day. Not the existing players day. What a bunch of selfish bastards. Tom Brady, Mannings, whomever, get payed plenty, and their suing their respective teams. This is ridiculous and has really pissed me off as a fan if you can't tell by tone. How dare they... I don't see much good coming out of this unless one side humbles themselves to do so.

Trust me, it's not like the NFL isn't paying these guys to play football. They pay them well. It's their job to go out and play whole heartedly for their respective teams. Players like Carson Palmer really piss me off. "I'll retire if I can't be traded" That really pisses me off now. This right of entitlement. I have no say in my job. It's either I show up or get fired. Carson Palmer gets paid to do a job. There are people out there right now who'd die to be in his shoes. If I was Paul Brown, I'd say fine, we can get someone else to play football, and you can sit there for the rest of your life then. But that looks bad on Paul Brown's part...

If I was absolute ruler of the NFL, I'd get some players who want to play football and say the hell with NFLPA or all the existing players. What a bunch of ingrates, seriously...

Bernie Miklasz from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had a pretty good take on this PR move the "former" NFLPA suggested to the draft picks: Bernie's Article. He does bring up a point that was mentioned here: how can a defunct organization dictate what an athlete, who's not a member of the NFL or in a union until he signs on the dotted line, does during the NFL Draft?

I think this was a bad move by the "remnants" of the NFLPA. One or two more bad PR moves like this and I think the support for the players may start to wane.

Bernie Miklasz from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had a pretty good take on this PR move the "former" NFLPA suggested to the draft picks: Bernie's Article. He does bring up a point that was mentioned here: how can a defunct organization dictate what an athlete, who's not a member of the NFL or in a union until he signs on the dotted line, does during the NFL Draft?

I think this was a bad move by the "remnants" of the NFLPA. One or two more bad PR moves like this and I think the support for the players may start to wane.

Totally agree. If what is left of the NFLPA continues to do stupid things like this, the fans will become more and more disgusted with the players.

Telling the rookies to not attend the NFL Draft? Really? What's next? Will they tell the rookies to not answer their phones on draft day too?

the players/drafteees WILL boycott the draft...otherwise be branded scabs and/or looked upon unfavorably by veterans when play resumes.

the only way the draftees attend is if the union calls off their boycott request because of PR backlash.

So, the players are thinking of holding their own party...

link

I would enjoy it if no press, fans or incoming players showed up, but that won't happen.

This (the draft)is one 'event' that's really about the fans. They go, make noise, cheer, jeer and have a rowdy good time. The former NFLPA has really screwed this one up.

Besides the fans the draft is about the incoming players and their families. The former NFLPA has decided to crap on them.

How would you feel if the league came out and said "in light of the controversy surrounding this years player entry draft we have decided to not invite any college players out of respect for their feelings."

So, the players are thinking of holding their own party...

link

I would enjoy it if no press, fans or incoming players showed up, but that won't happen.

This (the draft)is one 'event' that's really about the fans. They go, make noise, cheer, jeer and have a rowdy good time. The former NFLPA has really screwed this one up.

Besides the fans the draft is about the incoming players and their families. The former NFLPA has decided to crap on them.

How would you feel if the league came out and said "in light of the controversy surrounding this years player entry draft we have decided to not invite any college players out of respect for their feelings."

I feel like this is turning into a bitter divorce battle and the role of the kids caught in the middle is played by the incoming collegiate players. I don't think it's fair to them if they are strongly discouraged from attending the draft. Walking on stage for the world to see and to shake hands with the commissioner has turned into a rite of passage for these men. They've worked very hard to get to that point in their careers and it would be a shame if it was taken away or frowned upon by The Union That Is No More ("it ceases to exist!").

Question...if the players do go through with this idiotic maneuver, and attempt to have their own draft party, what network is going to televise it? Whatever network chooses to is going to be in some hot water with the NFL, and will effectively kill any and all chances they have at broadcasting any type of NFL events in the forseeable future. The big networks aren't going to do it, and since a lot of the smaller cable ones are controlled by the big conglomerates, they wont either. Is this going to be on versus or something?

All this conversation about a bunch of spoiled people playing a game . It's a game that has made many rich. Still it's a game. If those greedy people lost it all it would serve them right. They care only about themselfs. Both sides should be ashamed. We the fan are the true loosers in this whole thing. If I told my boss what these union players reps have, I'd be out of a job.

You can see how the players association cares about true fans that watch this stuff every year. F the union!

Yeah, what a bunch of jerks. How dare the locked out and now unpaid players not provide you with free entertainment and the league with free revenue. You are entitled.

Yes I do Care about this alot. Think about it for a minute everyone here reading this. You waited you're whole life to get to this point, and you have the former NFLPA telling you not to attend. To not hold your jersey up proudly at your accomplishment. Put yourself in the kids shoes.

I'd say F them and the players who stand in their way. This is supposed to be their day. Not the existing players day. What a bunch of selfish bastards. Tom Brady, Mannings, whomever, get payed plenty, and their suing their respective teams. This is ridiculous and has really pissed me off as a fan if you can't tell by tone. How dare they... I don't see much good coming out of this unless one side humbles themselves to do so.

Trust me, it's not like the NFL isn't paying these guys to play football. They pay them well. It's their job to go out and play whole heartedly for their respective teams. Players like Carson Palmer really piss me off. "I'll retire if I can't be traded" That really pisses me off now. This right of entitlement. I have no say in my job. It's either I show up or get fired. Carson Palmer gets paid to do a job. There are people out there right now who'd die to be in his shoes. If I was Paul Brown, I'd say fine, we can get someone else to play football, and you can sit there for the rest of your life then. But that looks bad on Paul Brown's part...

If I was absolute ruler of the NFL, I'd get some players who want to play football and say the hell with NFLPA or all the existing players. What a bunch of ingrates, seriously...

Agreed!!! I think it's funny how the NFL stays out of the spotlight and lets the players and owners battle it out.

Question...if the players do go through with this idiotic maneuver, and attempt to have their own draft party, what network is going to televise it? Whatever network chooses to is going to be in some hot water with the NFL, and will effectively kill any and all chances they have at broadcasting any type of NFL events in the forseeable future. The big networks aren't going to do it, and since a lot of the smaller cable ones are controlled by the big conglomerates, they wont either. Is this going to be on versus or something?

HSN and QVC will be in a bidding war that will shame the NFL and push Sham-Wow! into the forgotten past.

This is all about money.

The "Players' Union" will cut a deal that includes a Rookie salary cap as quick as you can say "bank account", when the time is right.

So, any rookie that think's the "union" has his back is in for a rude awakening. IMHO.

Does anyone think for a nanosecond that if there were a strike at a stadium during a normal season that the NFLPA members wouldn't hesitate for a second to cross a picket line?

I didn't think so. Solidarność, my butt.

This is exactly what I was thinking. ESPN's already in bed with the NFL so that's not going to happen. Fox, NBC, and CBS have contracts with the NFL so they wouldn't dare (they've probably got some NASCAR or golf scheduled to air those days anyway). ABC's out too with their connection to ESPN. But hey, they might get some crappy regional sports network to show up. Way to go "NFLPA"! :thumbsup:

Why would you want to watch De Smith and a group of kids watch ESPN?

Why would you want to watch De Smith and a group of kids watch ESPN?

I don't. I'll still watch the NFL network draft coverage as i have the last 4-5 years. I was simply wondering aloud how the players party is going to go down, since i doubt they could find a network to televise it.

I heard recently that Von Miller is one of the players (the only potential draftee) who is planning on suing the owners. If I recall correctly, his beef was specifically related to the proposed amendments to the rookie salary scale.

For some reason....this makes me want him even less. He must have grapefruit sized testicles that 'clank' together when he walks. The guy's not even in the league yet, and he is planning on suing his potential employer?!?!

Von Miller has no case, he has no contract.

He is free to go work where ever he'd like. Lawsuits like this are just a joke. Football at College is NOT A JOB. It falls under extra-curricular activities title.

What a joke, a college student who happened to play football while at college (where his primary reason for being there is to get a "HIGHER EDUCATION") not only expects, but DEMANDS, demands mind you, to be payed for an "EXTRA-CURRICLUAR" activity.

Like I said, what a joke.

I don't. I'll still watch the NFL network draft coverage as i have the last 4-5 years. I was simply wondering aloud how the players party is going to go down, since i doubt they could find a network to televise it.

I phrased the question poorly. I meant why would anyone want to watch people watching ESPN? Obviously, all the draft action will actually be happening in another place that will be televised; and, yes, it's taking the stretch and assuming the former union could get somebody to even put their cocktail party on the air. Still, it would be hilarious if they were watching the NFL Network. :lol:

the only way the draftees attend is if the union calls off their boycott request because of PR backlash.

Almost zero chance of this boycott succeeding.

As the frenzy and excitement and hype for the draft builds (as always), so will the pressure for the union (sham decertified) to crank up this idiotic demand that these kids do their bidding. Public support will zero for D Smith and his gang.