I'm Gaining Interest in Blaine Gabbert

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaine Gabbert went from a nothing player to an elite QB with hard work just like Clay did.

Gabby has been personally tutored in a prostyle offense since he was 15 so his spread style offense is just an added bonus to revive the K-Gun offense and should be our first pick in the draft.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-02-28/made-for-this-blaine-gabbert-has-spent-years-preparing-for-the-nfl

Fantastic article - thanks! :thumbsup:

I don't see a whole lot of concern about Gabbert's footwork, nor the style of offense he ran at Mizzou, and he hasn't always played from the shotgun either...

I'm pretty sure if the Bills don't take him, the 49ers will...

While coaching at Stanford, Jim Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert, who was considered the best pro-style quarterback coming out of high school at the time. Apparently, he actually does have a decent amount of experience and skill under center.

(link)

GABBERT

Fantastic article - thanks! :thumbsup:

I don't see a whole lot of concern about Gabbert's footwork, nor the style of offense he ran at Mizzou, and he hasn't always played from the shotgun either...

youtube.com/watch?v=HRAgJ_3Xbo8

I'm pretty sure if the Bills don't take him, the 49ers will...

While coaching at Stanford, Jim Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert, who was considered the best pro-style quarterback coming out of high school at the time. Apparently, he actually does have a decent amount of experience and skill under center.

(link)

GABBERT

A youtube clip of his first high school TD pass? Please tell me you're joking.

DE at #3 and take Ponder early 2nd round. He has thrived in the pro offense and is a good decision maker. He would rate much higher had he had a defense that could win with 30 points on the board every game...

I don't think Ponder would rate higher. He has the same problem suffered by Chase Daniel (record setting QB who preceded Blaine Gabbert at Mizzou).

Ponder doesn't "look the way you want your QB to look". He is relatively short (6'2"? 6'3"?) and light compared to a 6'6" Mallet, Newton, or Kaepernick or 6'5" Gabbert.

Daniel went undrafted despite a stellar college career at MO and is now backing up Brees in NO. Since Brees is only 6'0" (maybe-if he's been sleeping on a board), apparently Daniel's 6'1" height doesn't preclude him as a QB to the Saints. A number of other recent "HOF" QB (Kurt Warner - 6'2" and maybe 220 lbs if he's eaten 3 cheeseburgers recently) are relatively short and light.

But when the NFL is drafting, tall and sturdy is "in". Gailey mentioned size specifically when discussing Fitz, that Fitz isn't a big guy who can take a season of punishment, he's "pretty beat up" by the last few games of the season. (Sez I, so why not get him a better OL and a studly TE so he's less beat up then, Nailey?)

Zulu you miss my point. Dareus & Edwards can coexist on the field, Gabbert & Fitz can't. How about we trim some fat and let go of our most notible bust Maybin. Like Maybin, Gabbert seems to have a lot of question marks considering his high draft stock.

I guess I miss this point too. Fitz is under contract for only 1 more year. Gabbert is known to need time to adjust to a "pro-style" offense.

He "got the flick" and settled in well backing up Chase Daniel at Mizzou his first year. By all accounts he "knows what he doesn't know" and would be focused on what he could learn.

I'm not saying this is what I personally want (I personally want us to draft a great big mean SOB DL followed by a big fast mean SOB LB), but I don't see how Gabbert and Fitz would be incompatible.

I do see potential for trouble with expecting someone like Newton to "watch and learn" when he clearly wants the spotlight and (putting the best spin on it) left Florida for JC rather than back up Tebow.

Ditto someone like Vince Young or Carson Palmer or Alex Smith who (whatever else you think of them) clearly want to start in the NFL, period, and would likely not be focus and settle in as #2.

Edited by Hopeful

Here's what's being overlooked in this entire discussion. Gailey is a BIG fan of cerebral quarterbacks. It comes up in almost every discussion about the position. He needs a guy who can read the defense, see the right thing and throw the ball where it should go based on a set of defined criteria. I don't care of any of the rookie QB's have a howitzer for an arm, if they're not the brightest, they're not going to be considered.

Since there aren't a lot of youtube videos of Gabbert, you can see some of throws he can make in this highlight video of Danario Alexander in 2009 (Gabbert's Sophmore year, first year as a starter).......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDP19DFQjk

On a side note, I really wish we had of used a 7th round pick on Alexander last year. Even with all the knee surgeries, he's still a beast. Better than both AJ Green and Julio Jones IMO.

Edited by Stl Bills

This board makes me chuckle sometimes. For years the bills were thoroughly mediocre, going 7-9 over and over again. People then complained that it hurt our draft prospects because we picked just a bit too late to get truly elite talent.

Now the Bills finally bottom out and have the 3rd pick, where they will be able to nab almost any elite player they want, and people still complain like the OP is here. Posters left and right clamoring for them to trade down.

It's almost as if people are fans of complaining more than they are fans of the team.

Criticizing community members for being too negative or too positive is easy. Where do you stand on the SUBSTANCE of the post? If you don't agree with my assessment of the players and their value relative to the #3 pick, explain why and offer a counter argument.

Reading that, I have three reactions:

1) it's nice to have a wealthy family who can get you the best training money can buy (I wonder if one reason he went to Mizzou vs. Stanford is to maintain those relationships?)

2) when Gabbert is quoted saying "nobody will outwork me" it sounds like he has the history to back up his words.

3) I hope somewhere, Fitz is spending his offseason working with similar trainers and QB coaches.

Two caveats:

1) Gabbert chose not to throw at the combine. Anyone know why or how this works (does he throw for individual teams, later on?)

2) As we've seen with several QB, it's one thing to be tutored and look good with your shorts on. It's another to "go live"

Yet if you google Blaine Gabbert and work ethic, there are some conflicting opinions about this. Not sure they are legit.

More like the Brian Brohm of QBs...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630777

"Reading Defenses: Will take time to transition to the NFL because he runs the typical spread offense. Only reads one receiver on many plays, or even half of one side of the field. Stares down receivers and defenders read him easily. Does not look for secondary receivers, tends to take off instead. Fails to see blitzes coming consistently, even when they aren't disguised."

Hey--has JP Losman re-entered the draft? This perfectly describes that out of nowhere 1st round bust.

And on the eighth day, God created Blaine Gabbert, and lo he was not just good, he was awesomeness incarnate…

First, this has to be the most unintended funniest article I've ever read. Second, can this silver-spoon puke stop saying that he's more competitive and works harder than everybody? You didn't compete at the combine and you picked a gimmicky, stat producing offense to play in college. If you felt like you were the best QB in the country and were preparing your whole life for the NFL, why DID you choose the spread offense program?

+1

The author sounds well qualified to comment on the amount of pineapple juice in Blaine's diet.

Yet if you google Blaine Gabbert and work ethic, there are some conflicting opinions about this. Not sure they are legit.

If you google any player in this draft you are going to get conflicting information. The criticism of qbs playing in the spread and questioning their ability to adjust to a more complictated pro system is no doubt valid. But when a system is designed for quick one-two read and throw then it is unfair to say that he can't learn the more sophisticated pro-style. (I'm not suggesting that is what you are saying.) This is where the scouts and decision-makers earn their money. For a long time the organzation has been short-changed by the evaluators.

Hey--has JP Losman re-entered the draft? This perfectly describes that out of nowhere 1st round bust.

Your citing of the Losman scenario is what makes the evaluating of a college qb from a system that doesn't relate very much to the pro-game such an excruciating process. The Bills need a franchise talented qb. They don't have one now. They currently have an adequate qb, at best. Are the talent starved Bills going to take a risk at the longer term developmental position or will they play it safe at a more predictable position?

I prefer that they go for the more impactful qb position if they feel that the talent is there. That's easy for me to say. More and more I am getting the sense that they will play it safe and draft a defensive stalworth and then get their "safer" qb pick in the next round or even later. They might even not address the qb position at all in this draft???

No matter how you look at it it is a tough choice. If Nix/Gailey take the more conservative approach of not wanting to risk a mistake then odds are that they get a defensive player with their first pick. If their mind-set is they are in a position to take a qb with the hope they won't again be in this high drafting posiition then they will take the plunge (especially if the irrascible owner is doing the pushing) take a qb.

Edited by JohnC

Have you studied the draftable players well enough so that you won't be surprised at who is drafted in the 1st round anymore, doc?

Have you studied the draftable players well enough so that you won't be surprised at who is drafted in the 1st round anymore, doc?

Can't you play nice? Do you always have to be the problem child in the playground who is constantly instigating trouble? Why can't you be more like me, cerebral and serene? LOL :devil:

Can't you play nice? Do you always have to be the problem child in the playground who is constantly instigating trouble? Why can't you be more like me, cerebral and serene? LOL :devil:

And here I thought I was. ;)

After Watching Blaine play this year I was impressed but after reading the Sporting News article It's clear that he can play in a prostyle offense and has the work ethic and leadership we are looking for and is the obvious choice for us if he is still there. Hopefully Newton will have a good pro day and get Carolina to pick him instead of Gabbert and Denver has Tebow which leaves Gabbert to us Reviving the K-gun and trips to the superbowl.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-02-28/made-for-this-blaine-gabbert-has-spent-years-preparing-for-the-nfl

After Watching Blaine play this year I was impressed but after reading the Sporting News article It's clear that he can play in a prostyle offense and has the work ethic and leadership we are looking for and is the obvious choice for us if he is still there. Hopefully Newton will have a good pro day and get Carolina to pick him instead of Gabbert and Denver has Tebow which leaves Gabbert to us Reviving the K-gun and trips to the superbowl.

Gabbert seems to me to be a much more finished product than Newton. I would be satisfied with either pick, yet still inclined more toward Gabbert.