I'm Gaining Interest in Blaine Gabbert

Good post. Anybody can be a superstar, but more are busts. Can we afford Gabbert being the latter knowing Fitz can get us decent production?

That is, well, i don't even know how to categorize that line of thinking.

Why take Marcell Dareus when Dwan Edwards gets us decent production?

Let's just forgo the draft this year. That way, the Bills can't screw it up and no one can complain.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just forgo the draft this year. That way, the Bills can't screw it up and no one can complain.

Zulu you miss my point. Dareus & Edwards can coexist on the field, Gabbert & Fitz can't. How about we trim some fat and let go of our most notible bust Maybin. Like Maybin, Gabbert seems to have a lot of question marks considering his high draft stock.

Zulu you miss my point. Dareus & Edwards can coexist on the field, Gabbert & Fitz can't. How about we trim some fat and let go of our most notible bust Maybin. Like Maybin, Gabbert seems to have a lot of question marks considering his high draft stock.

Ok then understood. And i completely agree with you about Maybin - he'll get one more training camp and then he will be cut.

As far as Gabbert and the other incoming QBs though, you're right, they all have question marks associated with them. Luck was the only one that didn't. But at some point the bills need an upgrade at QB too, along with many other positions.

We got to go DL after being ranked last against the run. We need large bodies on defense DL probaly 2-3 players as Stroud is gone Carrington and Troupe are unproven Edwards is a vet fill in. We need big inside LB's poz should move outside and Moates should start. Then there's safety, if Whitner is not brought back then what? Defense with all the picks and it could be justified. I think a second round or third round pick in Locker in second or Kapernick third or fourth as development is possible. Levi Brown has arm strenghth, but if Fitz went down season over scenerio would be more interesting if we had a shiney new rookie>

I wish the Bills weren't picking at 3. Too many good choices, too many needs, too few picks to fill them. And then there are the talented players who don't fill the Bills biggest needs, but who would be great additions. Anywhere but #3.

Blaine Gabbert's in that category, in my view.

Defense is our biggest need. And Dareus is an enticing pick. I like Cameron Jordan, too, but not that high. Ditto Quinn. But if not Dareus at #3 -- and if that's too high for Jordan or Quinn -- then what? Take a flyer on Newton?

I'd rather have Gabbert.

Did you read this month's Sporting News? He was originally a pro-style quarterback -- he only switched to the spread at Missouri. And he's worked with a quarterback coach who has helped groom Bradford, Stafford, and Matt Ryan, and that coach feels Gabbert is cut from the same cloth.

But again...is he worth it at #3? Are we patient enough to let him develop under Fitz? Or will he win the starting job? Are we willing to accept modest defensive upgrades in rounds 2-7, instead of a potential stud in round 1?

For once, that #9 overall pick we're used to from recent years sounds like the better position.

It doesn't matter where you pick your player as long as you get them so the higher the better because that gives us top choices in each round. If he could be as good as those guys picking him 3 is not a problem.

I wish the Bills weren't picking at 3. Too many good choices, too many needs, too few picks to fill them. And then there are the talented players who don't fill the Bills biggest needs, but who would be great additions. Anywhere but #3.

Blaine Gabbert's in that category, in my view.

Defense is our biggest need. And Dareus is an enticing pick. I like Cameron Jordan, too, but not that high. Ditto Quinn. But if not Dareus at #3 -- and if that's too high for Jordan or Quinn -- then what? Take a flyer on Newton?

I'd rather have Gabbert.

Did you read this month's Sporting News? He was originally a pro-style quarterback -- he only switched to the spread at Missouri. And he's worked with a quarterback coach who has helped groom Bradford, Stafford, and Matt Ryan, and that coach feels Gabbert is cut from the same cloth.

But again...is he worth it at #3? Are we patient enough to let him develop under Fitz? Or will he win the starting job? Are we willing to accept modest defensive upgrades in rounds 2-7, instead of a potential stud in round 1?

For once, that #9 overall pick we're used to from recent years sounds like the better position.

Gabbert's is growing on me too. I heard that he did not throw an interception or an incompletion at the combine!.

Of couse he did not throw any completions either LOL!

Ok then understood. And i completely agree with you about Maybin - he'll get one more training camp and then he will be cut.

As far as Gabbert and the other incoming QBs though, you're right, they all have question marks associated with them. Luck was the only one that didn't. But at some point the bills need an upgrade at QB too, along with many other positions.

I read some where that Harbaugh was recruiting Gabbert over Luck as he felt Gabbert was the better prospect. If thats the case, if you're Gabbert how do you choose Missouri over Stanford???? Unless he didn't want to redshirt like Luck did. Gabbert seems to have jumped up the boards out of no where suddenly. I believe thats because of all the question marks with all of the QB draft choices this year. For what it's worth I also read an article somewhere that "next year" will the mega QB draft. Where have we heard that before???? Supposedly Luck will not even be the 1st QB taken. It's all smoke and mirrors, and everyone has an oppinion. I just hope we don't end up with the next Mike Williams.

GABBERT

Are you going to promote Gabbert with the same zeal you promoted Leach??? :thumbsup:

There is a lot to like about Gabbert. He has good size, a good arm and is accurate. From what I have read about him he has good leadership. If he is available and he is taken the organization can then continue on addressing their many other needs over the next few years. The Bills are drafting from a very high perch. Let's seize the opportunity to get a franchise qb while we are in that lofty draft position and hope that we don't draft that high again for the next number of years.

I'm not against drafting Newton. But comparing Newton and Gabbert, both with distinct styles, Gabbert appears to be a much more polished and pro ready qb.

Are you going to promote Gabbert with the same zeal you promoted Leach??? :thumbsup:

There is a lot to like about Gabbert. He has good size, a good arm and is accurate. From what I have read about him he has good leadership. If he is available and he is taken the organization can then continue on addressing their many other needs over the next few years. The Bills are drafting from a very high perch. Let's seize the opportunity to get a franchise qb while we are in that lofty draft position and hope that we don't draft that high again for the next number of years.

I'm not against drafting Newton. But comparing Newton and Gabbert, both with distinct styles, Gabbert appears to be a much more polished and pro ready qb.

:D

I would, except I think he'll be gone by the time we pick. But if he's not, our first-round pick should most definitely be...

Blaine Gabbert

Blaine Gabbert went from a nothing player to an elite QB with hard work just like Clay did.

Gabby has been personally tutored in a prostyle offense since he was 15 so his spread style offense is just an added bonus to revive the K-Gun offense and should be our first pick in the draft.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-02-28/made-for-this-blaine-gabbert-has-spent-years-preparing-for-the-nfl

Blaine Gabbert went from a nothing player to an elite QB with hard work just like Clay did.

Gabby has been personally tutored in a prostyle offense since he was 15 so his spread style offense is just an added bonus to revive the K-Gun offense and should be our first pick in the draft.

http://aol.sportingn...ing-for-the-nfl

Reading that, I have three reactions:

1) it's nice to have a wealthy family who can get you the best training money can buy (I wonder if one reason he went to Mizzou vs. Stanford is to maintain those relationships?)

2) when Gabbert is quoted saying "nobody will outwork me" it sounds like he has the history to back up his words.

3) I hope somewhere, Fitz is spending his offseason working with similar trainers and QB coaches.

Two caveats:

1) Gabbert chose not to throw at the combine. Anyone know why or how this works (does he throw for individual teams, later on?)

2) As we've seen with several QB, it's one thing to be tutored and look good with your shorts on. It's another to "go live"

Nice. But you can't be serious about taking a QB at #3 that can't complete a five yard pass to a HB coming out of the backfield! :o:devil:

Let's hope the Panthers get Cam Fever. I'll be good with watching his highlights on ESPN and the adoration of the magi as long as Gabbert breaks the curse of the Flutie.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-02-28/made-for-this-blaine-gabbert-has-spent-years-preparing-for-the-nfl

I thought you were going to talk about Dalton. He will lay wood on you if you intercept him. Was actually injured doing so!! I like Dalton's spirit and bravado, but he's the Clay Matthews of QB's LOL

I thought you were going to talk about Dalton. He will lay wood on you if you intercept him. Was actually injured doing so!! I like Dalton's spirit and bravado, but he's the Clay Matthews of QB's LOL

I remember Jim Kelly doing that once and he hurt his throwing shoulder on the tackle. I think The Bills also got in trouble with the League because they didn't disclose the injury during the following week. fuzzy memories here and there

Reading that, I have three reactions:

1) it's nice to have a wealthy family who can get you the best training money can buy (I wonder if one reason he went to Mizzou vs. Stanford is to maintain those relationships?)

2) when Gabbert is quoted saying "nobody will outwork me" it sounds like he has the history to back up his words.

3) I hope somewhere, Fitz is spending his offseason working with similar trainers and QB coaches.

Two caveats:

1) Gabbert chose not to throw at the combine. Anyone know why or how this works (does he throw for individual teams, later on?)

2) As we've seen with several QB, it's one thing to be tutored and look good with your shorts on. It's another to "go live"

It could probably have been a way for him to not "hurt" his draft stock. He probably had gotten word from the NFL Draft Advisory Board that he could be a 1st round pick and didn't want to affect that assessment.

He is definitely going to throw at the Missouri Pro-Day with WRs that he is familiar with.

I like Gabbert a lot. People think his spread offense background is a detriment to what he can do in the NFL, but if I recall, Fitzpatrick and the Bills offense revolved heavily around the spread and shotgun formations. If you look at the Patriots offense, they predicate their entire philosophy around the shotgun and short, quick screens to fast WRs. In a lot of ways, Gabbert can be that kind of QB, and, he has one of the quickest Aaron Rodgers-esque releases that I have seen.

The only thing that concerns me about Gabbert, is in footage I have seen of him, when his primary option is covered, he scrambles in the pocket rather than standing strong and looking for other options. He often rolls out, away from his primary option towards other options, and the play almost becomes improvised. In the NFL, he has to trust his pocket, and trust his pre-snap reads.

More like the Brian Brohm of QBs...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630777

"Reading Defenses: Will take time to transition to the NFL because he runs the typical spread offense. Only reads one receiver on many plays, or even half of one side of the field. Stares down receivers and defenders read him easily. Does not look for secondary receivers, tends to take off instead. Fails to see blitzes coming consistently, even when they aren't disguised."

You guys want THIS over a defensive playmaking monster? Seriously? Taking Gabbert sets this team back another 5 years.

More like the Brian Brohm of QBs...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630777

"Reading Defenses: Will take time to transition to the NFL because he runs the typical spread offense. Only reads one receiver on many plays, or even half of one side of the field. Stares down receivers and defenders read him easily. Does not look for secondary receivers, tends to take off instead. Fails to see blitzes coming consistently, even when they aren't disguised."

You guys want THIS over a defensive playmaking monster? Seriously? Taking Gabbert sets this team back another 5 years.

Because he hasn't done it doesn't mean he can't. It also doesn't make him worth the #3 pick.

And on the eighth day, God created Blaine Gabbert, and lo he was not just good, he was awesomeness incarnate…

"What they’ll find is that Gabbert has been preparing for this moment of reckoning since he was just a boy. “This has always been my goal,” he says. “And I would say I’ve worked harder at it than most.”

"He enjoyed riding his bike through their neighborhood with his adoring friends, but sports had been his passion."

"What Gabbert wanted was to compete and win forever."

“He was very advanced, very intense and very focused — you could tell he was headed for some big-time athleticism.”

"Hammer and his staff took a boy who was tight in his hips and hamstrings, lacking core strength and speed, and taught him how to move — to excel at many of the very same things that make millions of dollars of difference every year at the Combine in Indianapolis."

"And then there’s the best part: his mentality, his drive, his focus. Nobody wants this more than Blaine.”

"“I just kept working my tail off"

"“Every time I walk onto a field,” he says, “I hit that switch and turn into a whole different me. Everything I’ve trained for, everything I’ve worked for, comes into play. And I know that it’s all been worth it.”

First, this has to be the most unintended funniest article I've ever read. Second, can this silver-spoon puke stop saying that he's more competitive and works harder than everybody? You didn't compete at the combine and you picked a gimmicky, stat producing offense to play in college. If you felt like you were the best QB in the country and were preparing your whole life for the NFL, why DID you choose the spread offense program?

Edited by 1billsfan