I'm Gaining Interest in Blaine Gabbert

I wish the Bills weren't picking at 3. Too many good choices, too many needs, too few picks to fill them. And then there are the talented players who don't fill the Bills biggest needs, but who would be great additions. Anywhere but #3.

Blaine Gabbert's in that category, in my view.

Defense is our biggest need. And Dareus is an enticing pick. I like Cameron Jordan, too, but not that high. Ditto Quinn. But if not Dareus at #3 -- and if that's too high for Jordan or Quinn -- then what? Take a flyer on Newton?

I'd rather have Gabbert.

Did you read this month's Sporting News? He was originally a pro-style quarterback -- he only switched to the spread at Missouri. And he's worked with a quarterback coach who has helped groom Bradford, Stafford, and Matt Ryan, and that coach feels Gabbert is cut from the same cloth.

But again...is he worth it at #3? Are we patient enough to let him develop under Fitz? Or will he win the starting job? Are we willing to accept modest defensive upgrades in rounds 2-7, instead of a potential stud in round 1?

For once, that #9 overall pick we're used to from recent years sounds like the better position.

i'm gaining interest in robert quinn:-)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday Blitz "Blaine Gabbert, Missouri quarterback. He took over the interview room and was the best interview among all the quarterbacks."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-3902.html

Where was the production last season? Only 16 touchdowns in an inferior conference? Spread offense? How well did Brian Brohm translate to the NFL from the spread?

He may say that he'll out work everybody, but that means nothing when you have no pocket presence under pressure and you're afraid of the blitz. He looks like a wimp, sounds like a wimp, plays like a wimp and has a wimpy name (not his fault obviously). If you have to tell people how good you are then you probably suck.

If you really wanted to prepare yourself as a future NFL quarterback and you've been groomed your whole life to be an NFL quarterback , then you wouldn't have chickened out and picked an inferior college running the spread offense.

His best selling point seems to be that he was recruited by Harbaugh. It's obviously not his play on the field because you never hear about that. He's Todd Marinovich 2.0.

You'd have to get your head examined if you bet on a guy who has never proven he can throw a TD pass by dropping back, facing a pass rush and throwing a TD to someone that wasn't you first read. But hey, he's got the hair, the look, the size…so he's got to be a franchise QB! I'll be laughing at the team that picks this guy.

From that National Football Post article…

"Gabbert seemed like a natural leader, but he was so polished that one scout wondered how much of his presentation was the result of an interview coach."

This kid's nothing more than a marketing pitch. He's not a franchise quarterback. Blaine Gabbert, just the name alone SCREAMS bust. He'll be the worst QB taken in the first three rounds of this draft.

Edited by 1billsfan

Where was the production last season? Only 16 touchdowns in an inferior conference? Spread offense? How well did Brian Brohm translate to the NFL from the spread?

He may say that he'll out work everybody, but that means nothing when you have no pocket presence under pressure and you're afraid of the blitz. He looks like a wimp, sounds like a wimp, plays like a wimp and has a wimpy name (not his fault obviously). If you have to tell people how good you are then you probably suck.

If you really wanted to prepare yourself as a future NFL quarterback and you've been groomed your whole life to be an NFL quarterback , then you wouldn't have chickened out and picked an inferior college running the spread offense.

His best selling point seems to be that he was recruited by Harbaugh. It's obviously not his play on the field because you never hear about that. He's Todd Marinovich 2.0.

You'd have to get your head examined if you bet on a guy who has never proven he can throw a TD pass by dropping back, facing a pass rush and throwing a TD to someone that wasn't you first read. But hey, he's got the hair, the look, the size…so he's got to be a franchise QB! I'll be laughing at the team that picks this guy.

From that National Football Post article…

"Gabbert seemed like a natural leader, but he was so polished that one scout wondered how much of his presentation was the result of an interview coach."

This kid's nothing more than a marketing pitch. He's not a franchise quarterback. Blaine Gabbert, just the name alone SCREAMS bust. He'll be the worst QB taken in the first three rounds of this draft.

The same could be said for alot of players

Personally without the benefit of hindisght i dont see a franchise QB in this draft. (They are so so so rare)

BTW saying his name screams bust is quite possibly the dumbest argument ive heard for not drafting someone but thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

The same could be said for alot of players

Personally without the benefit of hindisght i dont see a franchise QB in this draft. (They are so so so rare)

BTW saying his name screams bust is quite possibly the dumbest argument ive heard for not drafting someone but thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

C'mon man you have to admit, the name doesn't exactly inspire greatness now does it...LOL

Obviously it's not really the name, but the Todd Marinovich/Brian Brohm factors that gives me the creeps.

It will take two to three years for this guy to get ready to be at the starting level for an NFL offense, then another two or three years of experience to see if he can be a playoff caliber starter. That's five years before you know what you got. I'll pass thank you.

Edited by 1billsfan

Have you studied the draftable players well enough so that you won't be surprised at who is drafted in the 1st round anymore, doc?

No, history has shown you that it is much better to rely on hack third tier scouting combines such as "BLESTO" to tell you about guys you've never seen take a snap in a college game doc.

No, history has shown you that it is much better to rely on hack third tier scouting combines such as "BLESTO" to tell you about guys you've never seen take a snap in a college game doc.

Good point...if only any of that were true. But hey, at least you'd heard of Leinart before he was drafted, so that's something.

C'mon man you have to admit, the name doesn't exactly inspire greatness now does it...LOL

Obviously it's not really the name, but the Todd Marinovich/Brian Brohm factors that gives me the creeps.

It will take two to three years for this guy to get ready to be at the starting level for an NFL offense, then another two or three years of experience to see if he can be a playoff caliber starter. That's five years before you know what you got. I'll pass thank you.

His name could be Tinkerbell i don't care as long he can play football :nana:

I think Gabbert will be a fine pro, middle of the round QB, Similar to E. Manning solid starter, can win you games but not hall of fame talent and i think he can be that his second year. Kid is smart and a good athlete, with the right coach hell be just fine

I think Gabbert will be a fine pro, middle of the round QB, Similar to E. Manning solid starter, can win you games but not hall of fame talent and i think he can be that his second year. Kid is smart and a good athlete, with the right coach hell be just fine

He is a better athlete and will be a better pro, more like Steve Young. Although Young and Eli both only won one super bowl but that is one more than us, so I'll take him.

Good point...if only any of that were true. But hey, at least you'd heard of Leinart before he was drafted, so that's something.

Oh, that's right--you saw all sorts of JPL games when he was a junior at Tulane--isn't that how the story went? I forgot that part.

Gabbert's arm is a rocket. He will "wow" on his pro day. I just want to see him under center taking 5 and 7 step drops. I've been a Mizzou fan my whole life, im very excited for this guy.

I heard he crumbles at the first sign of a pass rush, that he's not tough and that he is and always has been a catch and throw spread QB who always threw to the first read. Was this the case?

Is there any video of this guy dropping back make a read, looking off the primary receiver and throwing the ball for a TD? Because until there's any video of this guy doing real NFL QB type work, I give him the "most likely to be the biggest bust of this draft" award.

Brian Brohm came out of the spread program and could NEVER adjust to playing QB in the NFL. The I hear that Gabbert gets major jitters when he's being blitzed. Yikes, remember Losman's pocket presence!? The Bills will hopefully stay clear of him. He's shown nothing to warrant the top ten kind of press he's been getting.

Edited by 1billsfan

That's good because "Blaine" and "Tinkerbell" are not really that far apart.

I read some where that Harbaugh was recruiting Gabbert over Luck as he felt Gabbert was the better prospect. If thats the case, if you're Gabbert how do you choose Missouri over Stanford???? Unless he didn't want to redshirt like Luck did. Gabbert seems to have jumped up the boards out of no where suddenly. I believe thats because of all the question marks with all of the QB draft choices this year. For what it's worth I also read an article somewhere that "next year" will the mega QB draft. Where have we heard that before???? Supposedly Luck will not even be the 1st QB taken. It's all smoke and mirrors, and everyone has an oppinion. I just hope we don't end up with the next Mike Williams.

i have no idea, but wasnt trent edwards the last qb at stanford, where he had something like 8 wins during his 3 years as the starter. stanford was awful for a while. mizzou was the better choice at the time. it was not until harbough that that program turned

I heard he crumbles at the first sign of a pass rush, that he's not tough and that he is and always has been a catch and throw spread QB who always threw to the first read. Was this the case?

Is there any video of this guy dropping back make a read, looking off the primary receiver and throwing the ball for a TD? Because until there's any video of this guy doing real NFL QB type work, I give him the "most likely to be the biggest bust of this draft" award.

Brian Brohm came out of the spread program and could NEVER adjust to playing QB in the NFL. The I hear that Gabbert gets major jitters when he's being blitzed. Yikes, remember Losman's pocket presence!? The Bills will hopefully stay clear of him. He's shown nothing to warrant the top ten kind of press he's been getting.

I don't think you have a clue.. he has great scrambling ability when the pocket breaks down. You can see that by his rushing stats. He had god awful receivers and still led Mizzou to 10 wins. Imagine if he had Jeremy Maclin and Denario Alexander at the same time, he would have chucked it around pretty effectivly. When your top receiver is T.J. Moe.. a converted high school QB, it's obvious his weapons weren't the greatest.

Oh, that's right--you saw all sorts of JPL games when he was a junior at Tulane--isn't that how the story went? I forgot that part.

Forgot, misremembered, conveniently ignored...call it what you like today. You've misrembered lots of stuff, like how I "conceded" that the players didn't get more money after the 2006 CBA, when I said nothing of the sort. And it seems you've conveniently ignored my post proving that the players got more money (than they were already going to get) before the ink was even dry.

Again as I told you, I first heard about JP prior to his senior season when BLESTO rated him the top player going into the 2003 season. I made it a point to remember his name because I had never heard of him before, yet here he was as BLESTO's top overall pick (right or wrong, it doesn't matter). And when ESPN showed a Tulane game, I caught it just to see him. So you see, I knew who he was, and read draft reports saying he was a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. Just because you didn't, it doesn't mean that others were as clueless.

But as I alluded to, you heard a lot (of hype) about Leinart and probably even saw a bunch of his games. So much so that you thought the Bills were fools for passing on him in the draft. Where'd that get you?

You are bashing Gabbert pretty good off things you "heard". I've watched the guy plan a ton of times and he's legit. He's got the arm, mobility, athleticism. He was recruited to a pro-style offense and they recently converted to the spread, so yeah he's played in the pro offense.

One of his best skills is actually reading defenses down the field and hitting guys on deep comebacks or out routes, one of the most difficult things to do as a QB. He can run, but yeah, at this point a blitz rush right up the middle cripples him. He can take a hit and is a tough kid, but you would need to build a solid line in front of him for him to be effective. He's not Drew Bledsoe, but he's also not Michael Vick.

All I'm saying is before you bash the guy actually watch him play. He might suprise you.