we are #4 for miserable sport cities

brenty

Anyone who lives in Buffalo would disagree. Fans in Buffalo love their sports and their support is unwavering. We sit in the cold, wind and rain, snow to cheer for our team. I see people in Bills gear and Sabres gear we just nod and smile. We have a connection that runs deep. Buffalo Sports are the best in the country IMO and screw anyone who says otherwise. I love Buffalo and I love our sports teams

To not include Cleveland in top 5 is crazy.

I know, how on earth is Cleveland not up there? They would probably be my number 1 with Buffalo in 2nd. I checked the rest of the top 10 and even though the Phillies won the world series a couple of years ago I was surprised to see that Philadelphia wasn't in the top 10 somewhere. The Eagles were basically the team of the last decade that most closely resembled us in the 90s.

If you read how they decide how they determined the most miserable teams, it makes sense. It's not going for sheer futility, it's how many times you get into the post-season and/or the championship game, then choke. It's the teams "where fans have been exposed to teams good enough to get their hopes up, only to let them down in the end."

We’re not defining sports misery as sheer futility. The Chicago Cubs going over a century without a championship; the Los Angeles Clippers turning in two winning seasons since 1985 – everyone knows about that stuff. We’re going for something else. Sports lore is filled with tales of the near-miss: the Brooklyn Dodgers reaching the World Series six times between 1947 and 1956 only to lose to the Yankees in five of them; the Buffalo Bills losing four straight Super Bowls in the ’90s; the New York Rangers and Atlanta Braves coming close countless times before falling short of a championship. We decided to add it all up and create a sports heartbreak index to identify where fans have been exposed to teams good enough to get their hopes up, only to let them down in the end.

We scored each city on the number of times one of its teams has lost in the postseason, adjusting the misery points to give the most weight to losing in the final round (World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Final, Stanley Cup Final) and doling out progressively fewer points for losing earlier playoff rounds. We also factored in the number of years since each city’s last title (31 for Seattle), and the ratio of each city’s cumulative seasons to championships won (Atlanta, for instance, has compiled 153 MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL seasons while winning one championship, the 1995 Braves). And to keep the playing field even, we limited the contenders to cities with at least 75 cumulative seasons in the four major sports leagues.

This same list gets published and posted every year. It's been circulating since April '09.

2010 article:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/12/seattle-atlanta-phoenix-buffalo-business-sports-miserable-sports-cities.html

2009 article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2009/04/13/daily29.html

Same list. Seattle, Atlanta, Phoenix, Buffalo.

Someone needs to win a championship so this list can be updated...

Edited by DrDankenstein

We're not defining sports misery as sheer futility. The Chicago Cubs going over a century without a championship; the Los Angeles Clippers turning in two winning seasons since 1985 everyone knows about that stuff. We're going for something else. Sports lore is filled with tales of the near-miss: the Brooklyn Dodgers reaching the World Series six times between 1947 and 1956 only to lose to the Yankees in five of them; the Buffalo Bills losing four straight Super Bowls in the '90s; the New York Rangers and Atlanta Braves coming close countless times before falling short of a championship. We decided to add it all up and create a sports heartbreak index to identify where fans have been exposed to teams good enough to get their hopes up, only to let them down in the end.

We scored each city on the number of times one of its teams has lost in the postseason, adjusting the misery points to give the most weight to losing in the final round (World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Final, Stanley Cup Final) and doling out progressively fewer points for losing earlier playoff rounds. We also factored in the number of years since each city's last title (31 for Seattle), and the ratio of each city's cumulative seasons to championships won (Atlanta, for instance, has compiled 153 MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL seasons while winning one championship, the 1995 Braves). And to keep the playing field even, we limited the contenders to cities with at least 75 cumulative seasons in the four major sports leagues.

With this criteria, we're right up there.

51-3, only to lose Wide Right..

Super defense to win 10-7, only to be blown out by Hogs..

Batman/Fog Game, OT thriller!, Parent..

End Montana's HOF career in championship style, fumble away to 31-13..

Comeback to end all comebacks/2 straight road playoff wins, destroyed 52-17..

NO GOAL!

Music City Debacle

Damn, how are we so far down the list?:blink:

With this criteria, we're right up there.

51-3, only to lose Wide Right..

Super defense to win 10-7, only to be blown out by Hogs..

Batman/Fog Game, OT thriller!, Parent..

End Montana's HOF career in championship style, fumble away to 31-13..

Comeback to end all comebacks/2 straight road playoff wins, destroyed 52-17..

NO GOAL!

Music City Debacle

Damn, how are we so far down the list?:blink:

Some list. Although, according to the article, the loss to Carolina a few years ago doesn't count as much, but for the fact that pretty much every defenseman on the team went down to injury that postseason, I think that team wins the cup.

Some list. Although, according to the article, the loss to Carolina a few years ago doesn't count as much, but for the fact that pretty much every defenseman on the team went down to injury that postseason, I think that team wins the cup.

That was a heart-breaker, especially leading going into the 3rd period..

Don't share your belief we'd have won the Cup though, due to our defensive losses.. As for Cups we were worthy of but didn't participate, I'd go with '80 and the era of the Islanders. I truely feel we were the 2nd best team in the NHL at the time..

Agreed- that was our year and proved we are snakebitten.