Don't Sleep on Locker

Bangarang

Yeah, yeah, yeah people want to say he's innaccurate but the kid didn't even have a QB coach at Washington until his Junior year.

It's believed that his accuracy issues stem from having footwork problems. He's been working with a QB coach leading up to the draft to work on his work.

Here he is at the combine talking about what he hopes to accomplish and what he's been working. He seems humble, well spoken, and hard working. He has great arm strength, freakish speed for a QB, and is a natural leader. His only issue is accuracy and decision making which can be worked on. Bottom line is that he'd be a steal at 34 (if he makes it there) given his potential. He's worked in a pro style offense and doesn't have any baggage or off the field issues.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e77291/Locker-d-and-loaded

Edited by Bangarang

Yeah, yeah, yeah people want to say he's innaccurate but the kid didn't even have a QB coach at Washington until his Junior year.

It's believed that his accuracy issues stem from having footwork problems. He's been working with a QB coach leading up to the draft to work on his work.

Here he is at the combine talking about what he hopes to accomplish and what he's been working. He seems humble, well spoken, and hard working. He has great arm strength, freakish speed for a QB, and is a natural leader. His only issue is accuracy and decision making which can be worked on. Bottom line is that he'd be a steal at 34 (if he makes it there) given his potential. He's worked in a pro style offense and doesn't have any baggage or off the field issues.

I am intrigued by Locker, if he is available in round 2. I think that accuracy can be improved a bit, but I'm not

sure if he can improve decision making that much. I think a QB can kind of "get it" or not when it comes to

reading defenses and making quick decisions. If it could be learned (to a significant degree), then I think

Rob Johnson and JP Losman would have become good QBs because they were reasonably intelligent and

worked hard by most accounts that I've seen.

I would feel better about picking him up in the 3rd round, saving the first 2 rounds for the defense. Locker has the eerily similar feel to JP(rocket arm quick feet), and it's hard to want to go down that road again, no matter your stance on who was to blame for JP Losman's failure to develop. (I blamed 3 parts coaching, 1 part JP)

Locker is the next JP Losman. Same exact game, same exact talents, same exact weaknesses.

No thanks. Waste of a pick. Either there is a "Franchise" guy worthy of #3, or keep Fitz.

+ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000 :thumbsup:

if it was just footwork you would think he would have some semblance of improvement shown when he did the skills challenges and couldnt hit the broadside of a barn in shorts.

also, i would not qualify his speed as freakish. its good for a scrambler, but when i hear freakish i think mike vick once in a generation, and he is like more then a full tenth (probably closer to 2/10) of a second slower is my bet.

I would have no issue with Locker at No. 34 overall, but I don't think he'll be there. Too physically talented; somebody will grab him in the 1st I'd wager.

if it was just footwork you would think he would have some semblance of improvement shown when he did the skills challenges and couldnt hit the broadside of a barn in shorts.

also, i would not qualify his speed as freakish. its good for a scrambler, but when i hear freakish i think mike vick once in a generation, and he is like more then a full tenth (probably closer to 2/10) of a second slower is my bet.

I don't know, I remember his trainer at Washington claiming he'd timed Locker as fast as 4.3 in the 40...that's pretty freakish in my opinion.

You say the only knocks against him are accuracy and decision making? Sounds like those are the two most important attributes to a QB.

its like taking a runningback that cant run in the first round! oh willis....

seriously though, i cant think of two bigger things to ask about a qb - does the ball get to where it should be. well, theres a good chance he will choose the wrong spot, and when he chooses the right one, theres a good chance it misses. no thanks.

I personally believe that Lockers accuracy issues stem from the same place that yours and mine come from. We just don’t have the God given ability and neither does he. No ammount of coaching can fix your natural ability.

Locker is undraftable at this point. Any team that takes him before the 6th round is reaching big time. I wouldn’t even think about him until then, and he likely still wouldn't be the BPA on my board.

Locker is the next JP Losman. Same exact game, same exact talents, same exact weaknesses.

No thanks. Waste of a pick. Either there is a "Franchise" guy worthy of #3, or keep Fitz.

+1

According to Mort, he's the next Steve Young :rolleyes:

So 2 years with a QB coach and his performance actually decreased significantly in his senior year?

Only problems are accuracy and decision making? That's Ralph's franchise QB.

I personally believe that Lockers accuracy issues stem from the same place that yours and mine come from. We just don’t have the God given ability and neither does he. No ammount of coaching can fix your natural ability.

Locker is undraftable at this point. Any team that takes him before the 6th round is reaching big time. I wouldn’t even think about him until then, and he likely still wouldn't be the BPA on my board.

If I'm a coach I wouldn't waste my time trying to correct his flaws. He's the quintessenial coach killer.

Locker ruined his NFL career by wanting to be a baseball player despite being a talented football player.

He then did a Drew Henson by flip flopping between the two, but never dedicating himself to football 100%.

For as many Locker to the NFL stories you see, you'll see just as many about him as a player in the Anaheim system.

I'd pass on him solely because I don't think his heart or mind is 100% for football.

Yup. I was gonna say to just pass on J.P. Locker.

I personally believe that Lockers accuracy issues stem from the same place that yours and mine come from. We just don't have the God given ability and neither does he. No ammount of coaching can fix your natural ability.

Locker is undraftable at this point. Any team that takes him before the 6th round is reaching big time. I wouldn't even think about him until then, and he likely still wouldn't be the BPA on my board.

I love your point, Thoner.

There have been plenty of QBs who had bad fundamentals but who still threw the ball accurately.

No young quarterback is taught to sling the ball, or throw off the back foot, or throw the ball without setting their feet first.

Every young quarterback would like to emulate Peyton Manning who has flawless mechanics.

But there are also guys like Brett Favre or Dan Marino whose natural gifts enabled them to ignore conventional fundamentals and still throw the ball exceedingly well.

It could very well be that Locker's accuracy problems are NOT coach-correctable and that even though he has great measurable skills, that he doesn't possess the great innate skills that make a truly great quarterback.

If he was so gifted as some say, wouldn't he have performed much better than he has in spite of his so-called natural talent?

In my mind as an amateur observer of football, I wouldn't spend a draft pick on Locker…even though some team will.

I know what you are getting at, the guy is an athlete and last year was considered a possible #1 pick. Getting him later in the draft sounds like a "deal". But there is a reason why he is dropping...he's all hype. It's great to have speed and athleticism, but without talent it's pretty useless at the QB position. Accuracy and decision making are the 2 most important things I wan't in a QB, those are not the things we should be hoping we can fix later. I always hear people talking about trying to "fix" QB's problems at the next level, I almost never hear about it succeeding...The Bills aren't the type of team that can gamble on a guy that looks bad before he even gets here. Trent Edwards was another QB that was supposed to be "great" and was just stuck on a bad team...

I would feel better about picking him up in the 3rd round, saving the first 2 rounds for the defense. Locker has the eerily similar feel to JP(rocket arm quick feet), and it's hard to want to go down that road again, no matter your stance on who was to blame for JP Losman's failure to develop. (I blamed 3 parts coaching, 1 part JP)

And I thought JP was another Rob Johnson...I think we've had enough of them for now...

Edited by Turbosrrgood