Falcons RT - Tyson Clabo

Interesting.....

"One of the better right tackles in the league is a free agent and Jason La Confora of the NFL Network has reported the Falcons don’t plan on slapping the franchise tag on Clabo.

Guards Harvey Dahl and Justin Blalock are also free agents. The Falcons should lock up the less expensive guys and look elsewhere for a new right tackle."

Interesting.....

"One of the better right tackles in the league is a free agent and Jason La Confora of the NFL Network has reported the Falcons don’t plan on slapping the franchise tag on Clabo.

Guards Harvey Dahl and Justin Blalock are also free agents. The Falcons should lock up the less expensive guys and look elsewhere for a new right tackle."

Why do we need a RT? We already have Erik Pears.

- EP

Never watched this guy specifically, but the Falcons have a very good, run oriented OL. I really liked Blalock in coming out of Texas and he has become a very good G. I this guy is as good as Lacomfora reports, then I would like to see him brought it. Our RT situation is terrible. I do feel we are going to have a very good shot at Sherrod in the draft who would make a solid RT, although I am hoping Phil Taylor falls and we can add him.

Never watched this guy specifically, but the Falcons have a very good, run oriented OL. I really liked Blalock in coming out of Texas and he has become a very good G. I this guy is as good as Lacomfora reports, then I would like to see him brought it. Our RT situation is terrible. I do feel we are going to have a very good shot at Sherrod in the draft who would make a solid RT, although I am hoping Phil Taylor falls and we can add him.

The beauty of it is - you could get both clabo and Sherrod! Although it'll probably be a little harder to get a vet to sign with a high drafted rookie.

In the end - I just think the holes at RT, safety, and TE can be filled with vets while dine and linebacker can be rookies. The way free agency and the draft look lend themselves to this approach I think.

If we chase clabo, sign whitner/otogwe/whoever, and a mid to upper level vet TE, and draft Quinn and the best second round lineman (one of the 34 ends should fall some)? Or dareus and the best second round LB... Not bad shape. Probably not playoffss but competitive and likely 8-8ish depending on injuries and bounces.

Edited by NoSaint

The beauty of it is - you could get both clabo and Sherrod! Although it'll probably be a little harder to get a vet to sign with a high drafted rookie.

In the end - I just think the holes at RT, safety, and TE can be filled with vets while dine and linebacker can be rookies. The way free agency and the draft look lend themselves to this approach I think.

If we chase clabo, sign whitner/otogwe/whoever, and a mid to upper level vet TE, and draft Quinn and the best second round lineman (one of the 34 ends should fall some)? Or dareus and the best second round LB... Not bad shape. Probably not playoffss but competitive and likely 8-8ish depending on injuries and bounces.

Or draft cam newton and the bpa front 7 in the 2nd and 3rd

NO CHANCE PHIL TAYLOR IS AVAILABLE TO US IN R2 - NONE

Of course the Falcons didn't franchise Clabo. If they had, he'd be getting paid the average of the top-5 Left Tackles. The franchise player designation doesn't separate right or left tackles, it uses the highest paid OTs to determine the dollar figure. No team is stupid enough to pay a RT top-5 money, even for a year.

Clabo is a top RT, and getting him in FA would be a HUGE signing for this team.

Of course the Falcons didn't franchise Clabo. If they had, he'd be getting paid the average of the top-5 Left Tackles. The franchise player designation doesn't separate right or left tackles, it uses the highest paid OTs to determine the dollar figure. No team is stupid enough to pay a RT top-5 money, even for a year.

Clabo is a top RT, and getting him in FA would be a HUGE signing for this team.

Actually the franchise tag just lumps all O-linemen together. The fact that Logan Mankins was franchised by New England makes him the rare guard making left tackle money. I guess that tells you what a great player he is.

As for Clabo, as I was fading into sleep last night I was watching the NFL Network. I was watching (I think it's called) "Sounds of the Game," and they had Steelers DE Aaron Smith miked up.

The Steelers happened to be playing the Atlanta Falcons and Smith was lined up against Clabo.

I saw probably about 7-8 snaps between the two. Obviously Smith is a 5-technique just trying to hold the point and Clabo did get some guard help trying to root Smith out of the way but you could see that Clabo was a nasty, physical, and fundamentally sound player. He is the classic mauler at right tackle.

What about willie Colon from the steelers?? PFT says he might be shopping for a new team soon. Plus, his name fits the theme of the line.

Our pro scout, Doug Whaley, should have a solid evaluation on him because of his former Steeler affiliation. Getting that OL upgraded and adding depth will certainly be a good step forward.

SIGN HIM!!!!

We need stop screwing around with projects and cast offs at lineman. We did the right thing and got Wood and Levitre who will hopefully continue to get better. Wood moving to his natural position at center could be a REALLY good thing. I never understood why the Bills were always drafting guys who played one position all their life and then we ask them to do something different at the NFL level.

Without question we need at least one soild known performer to add to this line. RT is a huge need. Not to mention I'm still not sold on Bell being the answer at LT. I know he was injured 2 years ago but what has this kid done in the last 3 years? Really? Just a personal feeling but I feel that the subjective praise is almost entirely from the Jason Peters haters that want this guy to make them forget that we were paying good RT money for a probowl level LT and he left because of it.

Why do we need a RT? We already have Erik Pears.

- EP

Too funny! Clabo should be our #1 FA, Pears could be good but I'm tired of backups being made starters for us. After that NT Paul Soliai should be our #2 priority. These two guys would turn our lines into tops in the league instead the shambles that they have been.

Too funny! Clabo should be our #1 FA, Pears could be good but I'm tired of backups being made starters for us. After that NT Paul Soliai should be our #2 priority. These two guys would turn our lines into tops in the league instead the shambles that they have been.

Clabo I'm with you, but I would not break the bank on Soliai. He had a decent year (his first decent year of four years in the league) but was hardly dominant. The Fish's D gave up boatloads of yards on the ground. If the price were right, okay. But I would not sink mega dollars into this guy.