Ralph's thoughts on the CBA, the team, the draft

Beerball

Sounds like Wilson is anything but satisfied with the play of Ryan Fitzpatrick which is good to hear.

My hopes are Cam Newton will continue to impress and be a Buffalo Bill one day soon.

Thanks ball of Beer

Cam has already done too much

He will go #1 overall to Carolina - or some other team willing to make a blockbuster deal

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the trajectory of events very clearly. Wilson sat in the owner's box of this Ravens-Jax game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199708310rav.htm .

Wilson was reportedly blown away by Johnson's performance. Not to say that Butler wasn't a fan too, but Wilson was in all probability the driving force.

Why would Wilson have been in the Modell's owner's box on opening day of 1997, with the Bills opening at home three hours earlier? Especially since Wilson disapproved of Modell moving the Browns to Baltimore?

Edited by Doc

So the thread is now about taking a QB, Newton, at #3. The Bills absolutely HAVE to hit with this pick, this year. This can not be another miss. It just cant be. Given that, do you take Newton #3? No. They can't. It has too much risk. They have to make the safer, surer, DL pick. They just have to.

Edited by Chas56

And if Gabbert doesn't pan out, is it Ralph's fault?

So you're saying Wilson, playing pro personnel director, caught that Jags-Ravens game to start the 1997 season, kept it in his memory bank for 6 months, and then told John Butler "do what it takes to get this guy?" Highly unlikely.

Doc, you're wasting your time. When Wilson compared his newly signed, high priced expected "franchise" QB to be to a Monet, he was simply stating that he had made ALL the pro personnel decisions connected to the deal. Butler (and Polian before him) were mere figure heads in the organization. Didn't you know that RW was responsible for drafting Kelly, Bruce, TT, and Andre as well as orchestrating the deal to bring C Bennett into the fold? In fact, RW has made ALL the personnel decisions since 1960. Coaches, scouts, GMs, or ANY other front office personnel were simply there to bounce ideas off of and deflect any criticism.

GO BILLS!!!

Here is Ralph's most recent quote: "I think it will take two or three years to have a playoff team -- and that's if we get a quarterback." This past October, he said the same thing. If you'll look back a few years, he said it then too. What kind of leader make that kind of statement (in any type of organization)? In the 2012 presidential election, sit back and see if any of the candidates say the following: "If elected, you will start seeing serious progress and change, in two to three years".

I think what Ralph MEANT to say was, it will take two or three more rebuilding attempts to have a playoff team.

The only way the Bills make the playoffs is for New England and Belichick to parts ways, Brady to retire and the NFL

to add 4 more teams to the playoffs.

I know what an idiot. Just think what that does to the confidence of the team as a whole and Fitz in particular. It also lowers everyones expectations, and sends a message to the coaching staff they have the luxury of years to become a winner. He thinks he's being cool and honest, when he's just being an ass.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Guys, he is telling the truth instead of "koolaid speak".

What Ralph says to the press isn't going to make the coaching staff slack off, that is just nonsense.

I would rather he tell the truth than blow smoke up my ass.

I do think though, that taking a shot at Fitz was below the belt.

"2 or 3" years is shorthand for STFU and put up with us in thecoming season.

It means we can waste a first rounder on a luxury pick

It means we can ignore obvious critical weaknesses on the offensive and defensive lines through draft, Free agency and trade.

It means we can fail to move aggressively to keep quality players.

It means we can be capricious in changing our defensive scheme without the players to carry it out.

Ah...2 or 3 years again.

I remember the trajectory of events very clearly. Wilson sat in the owner's box of this Ravens-Jax game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199708310rav.htm .

Wilson was reportedly blown away by Johnson's performance. Not to say that Butler wasn't a fan too, but Wilson was in all probability the driving force.

That doesn't pass the smell test dave. Why would Ralph randomly attend a Jags-Ravens game when the Bill sopened their own season not 3 hours earlier?

Here is Ralph's most recent quote: "I think it will take two or three years to have a playoff team -- and that's if we get a quarterback." This past October, he said the same thing. If you'll look back a few years, he said it then too. What kind of leader make that kind of statement (in any type of organization)? In the 2012 presidential election, sit back and see if any of the candidates say the following: "If elected, you will start seeing serious progress and change, in two to three years".

How long has he been saying that? Just a way of him saying "I am not spending the money to become a contender". I bet it isn't going to take 2-3 years for him to make millions of dollars from the Bills Fans hard earned money. It sure the heck isn't any wonder why players don't want to come here. Would you sign a 3 or 4 year contract when the owner is pretty much saying you won't be a playoff team? He along with Al Davis, have separated themselves from the rest of the league, even Dan Snyder, as the worst two owners in the NFL.

How long has he been saying that? Just a way of him saying "I am not spending the money to become a contender". I bet it isn't going to take 2-3 years for him to make millions of dollars from the Bills Fans hard earned money. It sure the heck isn't any wonder why players don't want to come here. Would you sign a 3 or 4 year contract when the owner is pretty much saying you won't be a playoff team? He along with Al Davis, have separated themselves from the rest of the league, even Dan Snyder, as the worst two owners in the NFL.

His quotes seemed very inspiring. :ph34r:

Sounds like Wilson is anything but satisfied with the play of Ryan Fitzpatrick which is good to hear.

My hopes are Cam Newton will continue to impress and be a Buffalo Bill one day soon.

Thanks ball of Beer

It's not gonna be Cam Newton. I know for a fact right now they want Peterson at 3. That could change though come April...

That doesn't pass the smell test dave. Why would Ralph randomly attend a Jags-Ravens game when the Bill sopened their own season not 3 hours earlier?

You know, I think I'm misremembering slightly. As I plumb my memory further, I think the story is that he was in Florida at the time and watched the game with the Jax owner (Wayne Weaver). He was reportedly blown away by Johnson's performance. Regardless, he did watch the game and was deeply impressed, and this was reported around the time of the trade. I can't remember if it was the News or whoever, but I'm pretty certain that this happened. To be fair to Wilson, Johnson did have a spectacular game that day.

You know, I think I'm misremembering slightly. As I plumb my memory further, I think the story is that he was in Florida at the time and watched the game with the Jax owner (Wayne Weaver). He was reportedly blown away by Johnson's performance. Regardless, he did watch the game and was deeply impressed, and this was reported around the time of the trade. I can't remember if it was the News or whoever, but I'm pretty certain that this happened. To be fair to Wilson, Johnson did have a spectacular game that day.

One thing that I remember very specifically is that Jim Kelly called that game for CBS -- his first professional broadcast. Perhaps, Jimbo liked what he saw and whispered in Ralph's ear? Like RJ or not, he was VERY good in that game against the Ravens, and if that was your only real chance to see him play in a live game scenario, it is hard to fault anyone for coming back with a less than stellar report on him. Remember, he even exhibited toughness, coming back in the game after having been knocked out with a high ankle sprain. I wish the interpretation of that would have been that he was injury prone, instead.

So the thread is now about taking a QB, Newton, at #3. The Bills absolutely HAVE to hit with this pick, this year. This can not be another miss. It just cant be. Given that, do you take Newton #3? No. They can't. It has too much risk. They have to make the safer, surer, DL pick. They just have to.

What makes any of the DL a "safer,surer pick" ?

With the 3rd overall pick in the draft, teams need to find a franchise player. There is always a level of risk involved, but you also have to consider the possible reward. A franchise QB means a hell of a lot more to a franchise over a 10yr period than a DT. Unless you can have a 100% guaranteed "can't miss" DT with HOF potential, the Bills almost have to go QB with their pick.

I think there are enough question marks about Fairley, Dareus and Bowers that it will almost force Buffalo's hand to go QB unless Newton is already off the board (which I am starting to think is very likely) and they are not sold on Gabbert.

Edited by Maddog69

Geez, why would the Bills owner be in Florida when his team is opening the season in Buffalo?