Cam Newton Media Day???

symbiant

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's 9 minutes of the workout. Really unimpressed as he showed nothing we haven't already seen.

youtube.com/watch?v=S3peFT53pI0

What'd you expect from this drill? It shows NOTHING. This is exactly what Mayocks talking about. You can watch this sht all u want. That UConn backup QB threw a great ball. So what? Who gives a hoot. Mayock only cares about game films. That shows EVERYTHING, so why waste your time on this GARBAGE? We all know he can stand around in a tshirt and shorts and throw the ball to moving targets. Who can't?

I think it would be easier to name the colleges that actually run a Pro offense, and that ask their QB to make Pro type reads and progressions...

I dont know ANY.

anyone?

Stanford.

The workouts/combine evaluation help the guys who may be borderline physically for the league. A QB with a purportedly weak arm or slow feet could benefit from a great workout in front of scouts and media. A guy like Newton, on the other hand, doesn't have much to gain from events like this since his physical skills aren't really in question.

The most important evaluations for Cam will be the coach interviews.

There were questions about whether Newton could take snaps from center, make NFL style drops (3, 5, 7 steps) and still throw the ball accurately. Yesterday he showed he could. That was something that wasn't a definite leading in to his demonstration yesterday.

Nix and Gailey absolutely LOVE this guy as an NFL prospect and potential franchise quarterback after all the tape they watched

Trent Edwards?

I thought the point was that you pointed to the combine as something not to be missed. paraphrasing..."I suppose you'll ignore what he does at the combine too?"

nice backpedal though

edit...to quote: "Guess you'll be skipping the combine stuff too, huh?"

???

You're making this way too complicated. I don't really care about the combine--if your draft team is basing their top picks on that then your team probably sucks. But the combine is the only major NFL event between SB and Draft.

They guy knocks a workout because there are "no defenders". Of course there aren't--just as there are none in the combine--it's a live workout. Playing against "defenders" is obviously no the goal of these demos--a concept which seemed to surprise and disappoint this poster.

So I says to the guy.....I says "guess you'll be skipping the combine stuff too, huh?"---because, you know, there's also "no defenders".

Stanford.

Who runs a pro style offense? Lets see:

Stanford, Notre Dame ran one when Clausen was there. Florida will run a pro style offense (watch out for BOTH John Brantley and freshman Jeff Driskel in Weis's offense !!). Washington University ran one with Jake Locker. USC used to run one when Sarkisian was there. Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Iowa, Wisconsin, Boston College, Rutgers, Arkansas, and I would say that Penn State and Pitt run a lot of pro style formations and plays. I can keep on going.

What'd you expect from this drill? It shows NOTHING. This is exactly what Mayocks talking about. You can watch this sht all u want. That UConn backup QB threw a great ball. So what? Who gives a hoot. Mayock only cares about game films. That shows EVERYTHING, so why waste your time on this GARBAGE? We all know he can stand around in a tshirt and shorts and throw the ball to moving targets. Who can't?

To be fair, Dilfer said he changed his mind after watching a week of game film on Newton, not after just the media day. Then said after the scouts get through watching the game films they would start coming around, too. Not sure that is true.

Personally, I was skeptical when I first started hearing about the hype earlier in the season, and then started DVRing the Auburn games. I watched about the last seven. And got more and more impressed each week. The Championship game was easily his worst game of the season, and they still won and he still looked good for the most part.

He was a great high school player, beat out the best high school player in the nation the year before him for the backup role to Tebow, then transferred to Blinn where he was 11-1, then undefeated at Auburn. It's pretty impressive.

Now let's go draft Dareus or Bowers or Fairley!!

It seems like you really hate Cam like REALLY HATE Cam. Did he eat your last piece of cake or pie? Have you ever met him? Relax doggy.. And for the record Mike Maylock said Rashard Mendenhall would be better than Chris Johnson. Anybody can be wrong with this draft stuff. It's a gamble on anybody, hell I liked Ryan Leaf over Manning and I'm not the only one. Now look who's in jail and who's playing for Superbowls...

REALLY?????? The myth of Fitzy's passing inaccuracy has officially grown to epic proportions.

Right...The myth that he has a 57.8 career completion % in 36 NFL Starts...Totally made up...

It is what it is...There was 26 NFL QB's with a higher Completion % than Fitz in 2010...Does Comp % tell the whole story? Of coarse not...Is it a myth that Fitz has never had a 60% Completion % in any of his NFL Seasons? Nope...Not a myth...It's a fact... B-)

Is that you Mike Mayock? Remember what you said about me, that I'd be good, that I'd be a star.

Signed, Robert Ayers

Saying you like Mayock over the likes of Kiper and McShay is just preferring the lesser of two evils. Anyone with time to waste can go and compile a list of of studs and busts they missed on.

Not true. There are many people on this board, that have said Cam Newton is inaccurate and does not have an NFL throwing motion.

When people have tried to dispute that nonsense, it would be meant by stubborn opposition.

After that publicity event, no one can realistically refute that Cam Newton is accurate passer with an NFL quality arm.

Its other stuff, that the hater parade can go after now.

Not true. There are many people on this board, that have said Cam Newton is inaccurate and does not have an NFL throwing motion. When people have tried to dispute that nonsense, it would be meant by stubborn opposition.

After that publicity event, no one can realistically refute that Cam Newton is accurate passer with an NFL quality arm.

Its other stuff, that the hater parade can go after now.

I don't get why anyone would say this. He showed all season and in yesterday's workout that he has a classic over-the-shoulder delivery. That's about as "NFL" as it gets. I remember hearing thoughts about his slow wind-up but that's a non-starter because it's just his longer arms giving that illusion AND his ball speed is such that it doesn't matter; the ball gets there on time.

People will come up with all sorts of reasons to knock the guy between now and the draft and perhaps some of those knocks will be warranted but the knocks on his throwing motion can be tossed out right now.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't get why anyone would say this. He showed all season and in yesterday's workout that he has a classic over-the-shoulder delivery. That's about as "NFL" as it gets. I remember hearing thoughts about his slow wind-up but that's a non-starter because it's just his longer arms giving that illusion AND his ball speed is such that it doesn't matter; the ball gets there on time.

People will come up with all sorts of reasons to knock the guy between now and the draft and perhaps some of those knocks will be warranted but the knocks on his throwing motion can be tossed out right now.

GO BILLS!!!

pssst, they say that because he doesn't have he skin tone they may be accustomed to when it comes to QBs. :devil:

I think it would be easier to name the colleges that actually run a Pro offense, and that ask their QB to make Pro type reads and progressions...

I dont know ANY.

anyone?

Ryan Mallet. Routinely lined up under centre and was trusted to audiblize at the LOS (BTW I would not pick kim #3 either). And I disagree with the notion that you can coach vision into a QB. There are plenty of first round QBs who are/were physically gifted and who were willing to learn but could not. The reason? - You don't learn this. It is inate, it is either there or it is not, and unfortunately it is 50% of the successful QB equation. If it was just a matter of coaching/learning don't you think a bright boy like Trent would have figured it out a long time ago? Joe Montana was not 1/10th the athlete Cam Newton is but he was a decent athlete with fabulous vision an an inate understanding of how live action on a football field is likely to develop.

It's funny that those of us who actually watched him play a lot are on board, while most of the naysayers, when pressed, admit to having only seen him play in the National Championship and maaaybe another game.

Even as an Auburn fan, I was not a fan of Newton in the beginning of the year. I wanted Mallett or Luck for the Bills. But after watching him perform magic week after week, by the 7th game I was a believer. Watching how he finished through the year made me a definite believer.

I personally feel the Bills should go Defense at #3 (and the rest of the draft). But if we must draft a QB, it's Cam or no one, IMO.

I pretty much agree with this point...I saw at least 5-6 Auburn Games this year and no question that Kid has some major WOW-factor...I think he's going to be a hard worker and his attitude seems to be a can-do-type...The jump from the Offense he was running at Auburn to what he'll be doing in the NFL a couple years from now is like jumping over the Grand Canyon...Bills Fans are going to have to be patient...And using the #3 overall Pick and asking for patience will be tough...But I'm not going to bet against Newton...He's definitely a rare talent...The questions are going to be what exactly he's got between the ears, and is he willing and ready to be the hardest working Man on the Team... B-)

To be fair, Dilfer said he changed his mind after watching a week of game film on Newton, not after just the media day. Then said after the scouts get through watching the game films they would start coming around, too. Not sure that is true.

Personally, I was skeptical when I first started hearing about the hype earlier in the season, and then started DVRing the Auburn games. I watched about the last seven. And got more and more impressed each week. The Championship game was easily his worst game of the season, and they still won and he still looked good for the most part.

He was a great high school player, beat out the best high school player in the nation the year before him for the backup role to Tebow, then transferred to Blinn where he was 11-1, then undefeated at Auburn. It's pretty impressive.

Now let's go draft Dareus or Bowers or Fairley!!

Theres no WAY anyone can change their mind in favor of Newton after watching game film, because he doesn't show anything. He doesn't have the mentality to play this position at the next level. He clearly doesnt know how to read defenses and he clearly looks to run before he throws when things start breaking down.

You guys can drool over his arm strength all you want, but he doesnt know how to play QB at the NFL level. Only time will tell but WHEN he fails, I'm gonna come back and basically laugh at all the jokers that liked this guy.

What happens if we pass on Cam, and Luck isn't on the board when we draft next year? How many more years of losing will that equal out to? If the Bills believe he is the one, they have to take Newton. After all the draft misses, we have to get this one right! Doesn't matter what Dilfer or Mayock thinks, only the Bills front office.