How far are we from GB? do we need a QB?

Poeticlaw

Only 1 team in the playoffs blew us out twice and that was the Jets.

Green Bay blew us out too but we cannot compare the team that lost to them to where we are now becuase Trent started that game.

Besides needing to bring up our play against the Jets and the Pats we need to build a defense. Good news we had Dave W. to help out with that side of the ball. All we have to do now is get the players to stop the run and get the turnovers. Im am tired of all the qb talk with our first rd pick we need an impact player with our pick.

I will admit I didnt even want Ryan Fitzpatrick signed in the first place I thought he was nothing more then a 3rd stringer at best. But his play this season has one me over completely. Does he turn the ball over sure b ut what QB doesnt especially considering the line he has dealt with. But besides being one of the better stats guy on the last decade he has shown me what i have been waiting to see since Flutie was here a QB who can raise the level of play of his teammates around him. Thats a sign of leadership. His ability to play threw some tough hits. Thats a sign of his toughness. The ability to come back and march the team down the field after trowing a pick or being down by 21 points and playing hard to the last play of the game. Thats a sign of his mental toughness and competiveness. Is he perfect not to most of the fans standards but I like everything he brings to the table and I would like to see what hes capable of starting the season from day 1 of camp and a second year under Gailey.

Do we need a qb yes but our luck in drafting QBS wed be wasting 40mil on a guy whos probably never going to be an nfl qb. Lets draft one in the second round and groom him there and get an impact player with the first rd pick.

I dont believe we are far off. From being competitive. Provided there is no lock out this season I believe we will see a very satisfying year. SB champs unlikely, playoffs could be likely.

Just more of a rant then anything.

Edited by Poeticlaw

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are light years from the Packers, Steelers, Jets, Ravens, etc., etc. because the Bills can't rush the passer and can't stop the run.

Until that is fixed, it doesn't matter if Otto Graham is the QB.

Nor do we have good running, or passing games. Need talent everywhere. When you line up our roster side by side with any of those teams, there's only a small handful of places that the bills player would start. On that packers team they would take Jackson, probably spiller.... Wood? Lee as a 2? Dont think I see any other guys that would start on that team.

The Bills are light years from the Packers, Steelers, Jets, Ravens, etc., etc. because the Bills can't rush the passer and can't stop the run.

GB has so much depth. They lost 6 starters from their opening day roster during the season and then lost Woodson and Driver tonight. Ted Thompson has really stocked that team with outstanding starters and capable depth players. Where the Packers have good depth with later round picks who can fill in, Buffalo goes dumpster diving for UDFA's, street free agents, and guys plucked from practice squads.

GB has so much depth. They lost 6 starters from their opening day roster during the season and then lost Woodson and Driver tonight. Ted Thompson has really stocked that team with outstanding starters and capable depth players. Where the Packers have good depth with later round picks who can fill in, Buffalo goes dumpster diving for UDFA's, street free agents, and guys plucked from practice squads.

Pretty much sums up where we stand.

All we have to do now is get the players to stop the run and get the turnovers. Im am tired of all the qb talk with our first rd pick we need an impact player with our pick. (....)

I dont believe we are far off. From being competitive. Provided there is no lock out this season I believe we will see a very satisfying year.

That's another way of saying "all we have to do is rebuild our DL, improve our secondary, improve our OL and WR core, then maintain and/or add quality depth".

I'd like to see a satisfying year, I think we are a decade away from GB though; in my depressed moments I think it's light years. To be able to lose their best DB and WR and still win...we're at a place where we might be competitive, some days, with some teams, when we have everyone healthy.

That's another way of saying "all we have to do is rebuild our DL, improve our secondary, improve our OL and WR core, then maintain and/or add quality depth".

I'd like to see a satisfying year, I think we are a decade away from GB though; in my depressed moments I think it's light years. To be able to lose their best DB and WR and still win...we're at a place where we might be competitive, some days, with some teams, when we have everyone healthy.

This is all very true. The Bills could take any player at #3 and it will be an instant upgrade over what is currently on the roster. In 2-3 years the Bills my be able to compete consistently. Until then I'll have to settle for the occasional win and close loses.

Over the course of his career, Aaron Rodgers has averaged a stunning 7.9 yards per attempt; and this past season he averaged a commanding 8.3 yards per attempt. In contrast, Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5 yards per attempt, Ryan Fitzpatrick's career average is 6.0, and this past season Fitzpatrick averaged 6.8. There's clearly a very significant gap between the Bills and the Packers with respect to the QB position.

Unfortunately, that's not the only position about which that could be said. As others have pointed out, the Packers have considerably more talent on both sides of the ball than do the Bills.

In order to get up to the level of GB, we need:

- Better QB

- Better WRs

- Better Offensive Line

- Better Defensive Line

- Better Linebackers

- Better Secondary

- Better Coaching

- Better Front Office

That's all. :)

Over the course of his career, Aaron Rodgers has averaged a stunning 7.9 yards per attempt; and this past season he averaged a commanding 8.3 yards per attempt. In contrast, Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5 yards per attempt, Ryan Fitzpatrick's career average is 6.0, and this past season Fitzpatrick averaged 6.8. There's clearly a very significant gap between the Bills and the Packers with respect to the QB position.

Unfortunately, that's not the only position about which that could be said. As others have pointed out, the Packers have considerably more talent on both sides of the ball than do the Bills.

Too be fair, some of that could be due to accuracy, and some of it could be due to offensive scheme.

I just don't get how Bills fans, after watching elite quarterbacks lead their teams, often depleted, to championship after championship still rail against the utterly obvious notion that the Bills need to improve their qb play at all costs.

In order to get up to the level of GB, we need:

- Better QB

- Better WRs

- Better Offensive Line

- Better Defensive Line

- Better Linebackers

- Better Secondary

- Better Coaching

- Better Front Office

That's all. :)

Too be fair, some of that could be due to accuracy, and some of it could be due to offensive scheme.

There is no "scheme" that produces 8.3 ypc.

I just don't get how Bills fans, after watching elite quarterbacks lead their teams, often depleted, to championship after championship still rail against the utterly obvious notion that the Bills need to improve their qb play at all costs.

It's quite something, isn't it?

Only 1 team in the playoffs blew us out twice and that was the Jets.

Green Bay blew us out too but we cannot compare the team that lost to them to where we are now becuase Trent started that game.

Besides needing to bring up our play against the Jets and the Pats we need to build a defense. Good news we had Dave W. to help out with that side of the ball. All we have to do now is get the players to stop the run and get the turnovers. Im am tired of all the qb talk with our first rd pick we need an impact player with our pick.

I will admit I didnt even want Ryan Fitzpatrick signed in the first place I thought he was nothing more then a 3rd stringer at best. But his play this season has one me over completely. Does he turn the ball over sure b ut what QB doesnt especially considering the line he has dealt with. But besides being one of the better stats guy on the last decade he has shown me what i have been waiting to see since Flutie was here a QB who can raise the level of play of his teammates around him. Thats a sign of leadership. His ability to play threw some tough hits. Thats a sign of his toughness. The ability to come back and march the team down the field after trowing a pick or being down by 21 points and playing hard to the last play of the game. Thats a sign of his mental toughness and competiveness. Is he perfect not to most of the fans standards but I like everything he brings to the table and I would like to see what hes capable of starting the season from day 1 of camp and a second year under Gailey.

Do we need a qb yes but our luck in drafting QBS wed be wasting 40mil on a guy whos probably never going to be an nfl qb. Lets draft one in the second round and groom him there and get an impact player with the first rd pick.

I dont believe we are far off. From being competitive. Provided there is no lock out this season I believe we will see a very satisfying year. SB champs unlikely, playoffs could be likely.

Just more of a rant then anything.

What is amazing is that a few years ago the Bills and the Pack were in almost exactly the same position. I do believe that the Bills tried to hire Max but lost out to the better organization.

This...1000%.

Yes, the Bills don't have a Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or Ryan and they could use one badly. But what they need to do even worse is to shore up the defense. Both teams in SB XLV have elite QBs, but they also have elite defenses.

While I still say that Fitz is not an elite QB and probably won't be, I'll stick with him for now until the Bills have the opportunity to get that elite QB. Who knows - Fitz could be the next Trent Dilfer. :flirt:

Bills probably a 4 or 5 win team again next year. Simply do not have the bodies to be any better than that. They are so far away from the big stage and so far from the NFL conversation I bet a chunk of NFL fans don't even realize there still is a franchise there.

The Bills are a Pop-Warner tier II team compared to Green Bay.

The Packers draft Rodgers with their first pick while the Bills give up picks to move up to get Losman.

The Packers draft Clay Matthews with their lower first round pick while the Bills draft Maybin with a higher first round pick.

The Packers draft Raji at DT while the Bills give up a high pick to move into the first round to draft McCargo.

The Packers draft receiver Jordy Nelson in the second round while the Bills drafted James Hardy in the same round.

Ralph Wilson brings back Marv Levy to dismantle his team and then inexplicably replaces him with Brandon, the marketing guru. In Ted Thompson, the Packers have one of the best GMs and personnel men in the game.

The Packers, as have the Steelers, built their team through the draft. Our goofy owner expresses his satisfaction for Tom Modrak, the franchise's top scout. Tom Modrak has presided over the Bills scouting department for the past lost decade.

The Packers had an injury filled season played with numerous fill-ins who did an admirable job. A more healthy Bills' roster was pummeled into submission all season long.

The truth of the matter is that the Bills are closer to being an expansion level team than they are a playoff team. Facing the truth is always better than living a lie.

Edited by JohnC