Best RT to target in FA

I'm concerned from stuff Nix and Gailey have said, that they want to take a "let's see what we've got" attitude to our OL now.

I think Fitzy is making the line look better than it is, and we lack quality depth.

What RT would you most like to see the Bills make a play for in FA?

That's what most good QBs do.

Frankly, I think getting a QUALITY TE (one who can block AND catch) in there would do just as much. Far too long we've been living with the legacy of Greggggg's H-back TEs who can't do one or the other.

Kevin Boss would do a lot more for the line / offense than another RT plug-n-play.

Edited by UConn James

And how'd that Free Agent right tackle work out last year? If you get one, he needs to be top tier, otherwise it’s a waste of time and only delays real progress.

There's this huge space between "top tier" and "bottom tier," filled with a lot of upgrades for our basically low-talent team. Even if we could get Langston Walker, the right tackle back again (instead of the disaster known as Langston Walker, left tacke, it would have been a solid improvement.

There's this huge space between "top tier" and "bottom tier," filled with a lot of upgrades for our basically low-talent team. Even if we could get Langston Walker, the right tackle back again (instead of the disaster known as Langston Walker, left tacke, it would have been a solid improvement.

A free agent RT would be a great signing because IMHO, it frees you up to draft a RD#2 player at another position. I could see Clabo or Yanda letting us pick Defensive players like so (from DraftTek Simulator, unedited results of changing RT from P2 to P9):

1-Robert Quinn OLB34 North Carolina

2-Adrian Clayborn DE34 Iowa

3-Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

4-Sione Fua DT34 Stanford

4-Josh Bynes ILB Auburn

5-Pat Devlin QB Delaware

6-Mario Butler CB Georgia Tech

7-Deunta Williams SS North Carolina

I think that it did help the bills this past year being able to pick 1st from the waiver wire on some of these guys like Urbick, Rinhaart, and Pears......and I think they like all these guys.

I DONT want to see them take a OT in the 2nd round anymore.....not based off what I saw in these guys at the end of the year. Would rather see them take a flyer on a 2nd defensive player like a DT.

Please bring in a servicable guy good enough to push Pears to backup.....keep Wood at center....start Urbik at RG......and get a decent TE that can both block and take advantage of the underneath stuff.

A free agent RT would be a great signing because IMHO, it frees you up to draft a RD#2 player at another position. I could see Clabo or Yanda letting us pick Defensive players like so (from DraftTek Simulator, unedited results of changing RT from P2 to P9):

1-Robert Quinn OLB34 North Carolina

2-Adrian Clayborn DE34 Iowa

3-Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

4-Sione Fua DT34 Stanford

4-Josh Bynes ILB Auburn

5-Pat Devlin QB Delaware

6-Mario Butler CB Georgia Tech

7-Deunta Williams SS North Carolina

That's the 1st mock that ive seen Clayborn as a 2nd round pick, but maybe

Unless they league and the player's union agree on collective bargaining agreement before the draft, they will have to go into the draft without being able to what holes they have to fill.

That being said, I'd love to see the Bills get one of the better right tackles and blocking/catching tight ends in free agency.

Regardless of when F.A. actually happens, I think it will happen, so I don't think we should alter our approach to the draft too much to compensate for a later F.A. period. I guess what I mean by this is that we know there will be, within a pretty clear range, X amount of F.A.'s at specific positions. We can look at this eventual group and say, if we need to upgrade this year at RT, TE, NT, DE, ILB, FS, CB and we know F.A. is strong in these areas, and we know the draft is heavy in these other areas, then we target the strenghts of each area. In this case, I'd say F.A. TE, RT, LB, and NT is either or - that is one position where knowing if you can land Miami's NT, for instance, might change your draft board - and the draft we go for DE, ILB, and secondary - mostly Defense, with a QB in there somewhere.

Right after I read what I just wrote it occured to me - such a clear plan in the draft never happens just like you say; there will be some offensive guy fall, or some OLB, or some position that is just too good, talent wise, to pass up, and you just can't plan for that. My suggestion is just a general way to look at F.A. and the draft this year, with room to react/adapt.

I don't think the O line is at all at the top of the To Do list. Nixley has made it clear that they think they have a pretty good line right now, including the right side. And they've also made it clear that the defense is their biggest worry. The addition of a "Maybe" player to the line, the WRs, the RBs, and even QB in the top two or three rounds seems to me to be highly unlikely (they might pick a couple later on). So far, they haven't done anything too foolish since Nix and Gailey arrived so I'd be highly surprised if they didn't spend their top picks on D.

I think it's important to remember the oft-mentioned ' Curse of Pete Gogolak ' - short of doing a Whammy Weenie dance on Welligton Mara's grave, the only way I see to break said curse is to sign a Cornell grad off the NY Giants' roster...

Kevin Boothe

Boothe, a Cornell alumnus...Has played in 49 regular season games with 16 starts and in 5 postseason games...Has seen action at both guard positions and right tackle...In 2009, played in all 16 games with 2 starts...In 2008, played in all 16 regular season games and the NFC Divisional Playoff game vs. Philadelphia...Saw action at right tackle in place of Kareem McKenzie due to injuries vs. Seattle (10/5), vs. Baltimore (11/16) and at Dallas (12/14)…Played the entire 2nd half at right tackle in the season finale at Minnesota (12/28)...Saw action at right tackle for a few plays in the 2nd quarter of the NFC Divisional Playoff Game vs. Philadelphia (1/11) when McKenzie left the game.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!! B-)

The OL situation reminds me a bit of what the Bills had back in 1998. Remember to start the season off, when RJ was taking all of those sacks, Mauck had the lineman go on a strike, where they refused to talk to the press. When RJ went down with an injury and Flutie was inserted -- suddenly the line was no longer a problem.

The same thing happened last year once Fitz became the starter. In the middle part of the season when they were all healthy, the OL actually played pretty well. Funny how a QB capable of reading a defense and making quick decisions can make an OL look so much better!

I will say, however, that the rash of injuries late in the year did reveal a pronounced lack of depth. I believe that the coaches like Bell and believe that he will be even better with a full off-season to get healthy. They look to be in good shape with Levitre, Wood and some combination of Hangartner/Urbick inside. From what I have heard, they really seem to like Pears at RT and believe that he was a nice, low profile pickup. Clearly, they could stand to add some depth -- and certainly an upgrade at either tackle position would be nice. Just do not be overly upset, when the team decides to stick with what they have and add just a few more low profile players for depth.

You are probably right about what they Will do. We will need depth and definition the right side as wood likely goes to center. We have rotational depth when we grab a starting RT in FA. Pears and rhinehart and Hangman and Wrotto. Just put some stong run taclke over ther for a season and leats see how much better our whole offense looks. I think Fitz may have made them look above themselves, but on the other side i think the fellows coming off injuries got a better and quicker path up to speed.

By the way what are we doing with Mr. Wang?

And how'd that Free Agent right tackle work out last year? If you get one, he needs to be top tier, otherwise it’s a waste of time and only delays real progress.

How about replacing Top Tier with "a good football player". I would love to see a good RT in free agency who is better than what we have, and forces the young guys to step up or sit. The problem with Green is that he wasn't a very good football player in 2010. Maybe he never was and he was evaluated badly, maybe he was and had a bad year. But it isn't because he wasn't top tier, but instead because he just stunk it up. I think getting difference makers in the draft and role players in free agency is a good model, and I hope we find a good RT to throw into the mix if one is available.

I think that it did help the bills this past year being able to pick 1st from the waiver wire on some of these guys like Urbick, Rinhaart, and Pears......and I think they like all these guys.

I DONT want to see them take a OT in the 2nd round anymore.....not based off what I saw in these guys at the end of the year. Would rather see them take a flyer on a 2nd defensive player like a DT.

Please bring in a servicable guy good enough to push Pears to backup.....keep Wood at center....start Urbik at RG......and get a decent TE that can both block and take advantage of the underneath stuff.

i think listening to Nix and Galiey you can pencil in reinhart as our new RG they seem to love the guy.

the thing about urbic is why the hell would a team give up on their third round pick before he even finished his first season IMO something is very wrong there.