Im Confused about the Shawn Merriman signing

JPicc2114

Why did the Bills spend 2.5 millon per year on a guy that probably will get hurt in pre-season?

What has he done in the last 3 years except prove that he can't stay healthy. I don't understand the Bills direction on that decision.

just my opinion. Im sure that 2.5 million could have been better utilized somewhere else.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No the 2.5 million couldn't have. There is tons of money to go around.

Nix and Merriman clearly have some kind of relationship and I liked Merriman's interview style. If he is nothing more than assistant OLB coach its still not a bad move.

The Bills lose nothing but our taking a long, long, long, long shot that Merriman can play at high level again (I doubt it though).

Its like throwing a 10 spot on Double 5 in Craps, If the double fever hits you're pretty happy, if it doesn't hit no big deal.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Why did the Bills spend 2.5 millon per year on a guy that probably will get hurt in pre-season?

What has he done in the last 3 years except prove that he can't stay healthy. I don't understand the Bills direction on that decision.

just my opinion. Im sure that 2.5 million could have been better utilized somewhere else.

At last time I heard the Bills were about 25 million under the old cap total. 2.5 million dollars is a drop in the bucket for someone who COULD give us a respectable pass rush with some more added parts. If we were talking 10 years ago, maybe we all go crazy at 2.5 million, but this is seriously like a buck fifty by the current scale. If he lights it up it's a bargain, if not it matters very little.

Let's try and think half full around here for once...

He is just asking what most common sense people are thinking. It is a big risk, especially considering how thin our linebacking corps is now that Poz is a free agent.

What specifically is the specific risk? The Roster spot that he would take?

I don't think his Achilles will get him through the whole season. Cowart- spikes had injured Achilles and rested it for the offseason and both of them didn't last more than 3 games.Sam Cowart didnt last the first series.spikes knew he had a problem and he blew his out in week 3.

4 sacks and 35 tackles in 14 games in the 2009 season which was the first season back from his knee injury...the sack totals would have been good for 2nd on this team.

Damn, that is a SAD stat... guess we need more D!!! :)

He is just asking what most common sense people are thinking. It is a big risk, especially considering how thin our linebacking corps is now that Poz is a free agent.

And he would have been the first to cry about not signing him when he went to another team and was kicking *ss. You can't win with this group. Don't try. $2.5 is reasonable and it is an incentive laden contract. Frankly, I'm going to go with Buddy over Mr. Negative.

just a question..Merriman's been stating that the Buffalo doc's found something wrong with his ankle(or whatever part of his body he hurt)that the doc's in San Diego didn't find...could that be true?..if yes, then does he really have a chance of coming back at near full strength?...just wondering

I would propose that most with common sense would realize that $2.5 million isn't a huge risk, and that there aren't many other options available in free agency. If he ends up injured it's not like he's going to be taking up a roster spot.

Not to mention our doctors and trainers had plenty of time to examine him to determine whether this was likely to carry into next season.

Let me turn this around. Who would you sign?

Buddy Nix reads the board and knew it would piss you off personally.

Buddy 1, Mr negative 0.