Im Confused about the Shawn Merriman signing

JPicc2114

Sorry, I still don't understand the Bills decision. It makes no sense. Shawn Merriman is done people.. I can't believe none of you realize this.

Ok. So you're the the nations top sports therapist and physical trainer along with being a well-respected MD. You have fully inspected Shawn Merriman and his injury, and the above comments are your professional prognosis.

Good. I just wanted to make sure I understood things clearly.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low risk , high reward. BTW the contract is incentive-laden.

Or maybe it's high risk, low reward. If the Bills don't plan like Merriman is not going to be available to play, then the risk is high(er); and, given the way he has played recently, even if he gets on the field, he stands (pun intended) a good chance of being little more than a JAG. BTW the contract had guaranteed money.

I liked Merriman's interview style. If he is nothing more than assistant OLB coach its still not a bad move.

Yes... the interview style is extremely important. Good for at least 200 tackles and 20 sacks in the first 8 games alone. And, sure, the Bills could use another OLB coach... one to the tune of $2.5M (highest paid asst. on the Bills) that has played about 4 full NFL seasons. :D

Actually... with the CBA up in the air, what were the Bills options at OLB? As I understand, it was an incentive loaded deal and not much guaranteed money, if any. If he pans out, great, if he doesn't, cut him. If he gets hurt... whip up an injury settlement.

It's a low risk high reward deal. If you think Merriman was a bad deal, take a look at Kelsay's deal. Yeah, Kelsay stays healthy and plays... the downside... he's part of that defense that is ranked 32 against the run... and defending the run is supposedly his strength.

Yeah--it turns out the two hour physical was much more important, unfortunately. And it didn't have to be limited to 2 hours. Merriman wansn't going anywhere.

This guy was the poster child for steroid body burnout. He'd done nothing for a year or more. This screamed for a more thorough exam than the "two hour" formality that he got. You think the team doctors were going to tell Buddy, who was dead set on bringing this kid here, "in his current shape, he's likely to injure himself the minute he steps onto the field"?

This should have been the most grueling physical evaluation imaginable, pushing him to extremes--a provocative test. Simple due diligence. That clearly wasn't done. It cannot be argued otherwise.

First of all, do you really think that in the age of sports agents and contract negotiations and covering your own ass, Merriman was going to allow himself to be subjected to a "most grueling physical evaluation imaginable?" The naivety of some fans is ridiculous. Merriman was always going to get the same standard physical that everyone else gets when being brought it. If the team or it's doctors had tried something different I am sure Merriman would have made a big stink about it and how he was being treated differently. To imply that the doctor's would ignore something that would have suggested he would have re-injured himself in practice just to make Buddy Nix happy is absurd. If he was so dead set on bringing him here then he would have just signed him no matter what information the physical produced anyway. Furthermore, at the cost of 2.5 million there is hardly any risk involved at all when you compare it to some of the contracts that players agree to.

and to Mr. Negative:

You obviously don't like the signing and subsequent resigning. Why don't you just state as much and move on with your life. Why waste your time asking others what they think and crusading around TSW for others to join with you? For what it is worth, I don't like the signing particularly either, but I have faith that even in his dumbest moments Buddy Nix has a far better grasp on evaluating talent than me or anybody else on here that decides they want to play virtual GM. <_<

Or maybe it's high risk, low reward. If the Bills don't plan like Merriman is not going to be available to play, then the risk is high(er); and, given the way he has played recently, even if he gets on the field, he stands (pun intended) a good chance of being little more than a JAG. BTW the contract had guaranteed money.

BTW, all contracts have SOME guaranteed money. Otherwise nobody would sign them.

We are taking a small chance with Merriman and I for one think it is well worth it! Look I know he has not been the same since he is off the juice and whatever but, what if he plays somewhat like he used too? We need help period! and he's a big name that brings excitement. You cant always say "what if he gets hurt", Its football! anyone at anytime can get hurt! He might convince some other FA's to come to Buffalo, I dont know about you guys but, Im tired of being the joke of the East and thinking back to the good old days. Its time to get back on top! and I feel its a good start.

They took a chance. It cost them very little relatively. Now they're taking another. It may not work out. Meh.

2 chances on one guy who was disposed of by a team that knew him very well.

If they really tested/challenged him at all, he clearly would have failed the physical. Would you have advocated for still picking him up? Your logic would dictate "yes" ("second chance" to work with our medical team for a few months, right?).

He is just asking what most common sense people are thinking. It is a big risk, especially considering how thin our linebacking corps is now that Poz is a free agent.

Is this the same Poz that usually gets hurt every season...

That is one of the reasons Merriman came at a bargain basement price.

If he is injured we haven't invested much. If he plays like a pro bowler, it's a steal of a deal.

If they really tested/challenged him at all, he clearly would have failed the physical. Would you have advocated for still picking him up? Your logic would dictate "yes" ("second chance" to work with our medical team for a few months, right?).

Like I said, they're taking a chance. Worst case scenario is that Merriman never plays another down (and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.) Then we've lost some $. Are you complaining that Ralph is spending $ now? Or are you saying we should have picked up someone else?

I'm just sick of nutcases on this board complaining about how everything we do is wrong, without suggesting any alternatives.

Edited by Captain Caveman

It all changed when he got hurt AGAIN in PRACTICE... how the hell is he supposed to ever survive in games anymore.

i know. Merriman is the first NFL player in history to get hurt in practice. What were the Bills thinking?

Now you are arguing logic with someone while trying to argue a fictitious point of view? Here are the facts guy:

He passed the team physical. He was signed. He re-aggravated an injury and was put on IR. Now he has re-signed with the team. You can play what if until you are blue in the face and it changes nothing.

So guess what? He DIDN'T fail.

Your entire argument is predicated on a hypothetical "tougher" physical that never occurred nor will occur in the future.

between this "logic" argument of yours and the idea that doctor's are just telling Buddy what he wants to hear just sounds like a conspiracy theorist grasping at straws.

If air was money we would all be rich. But it's not. Stop asking what if and get on with your life. :wallbash:

Sorry, I still don't understand the Bills decision. It makes no sense. Shawn Merriman is done people.. I can't believe none of you realize this.

You're forgetting the best player(s) Buffalo sports teams have are their doctors. People said Timmy C wouldn't play again, he does. They said Kevin Everett wouldn't walk again, he does. They saved the hockey player a year or two back when he cut his jugular. This should be minor compared to those. I don't know where he said it, but Merriman said the training staff found what the problem was with the Achilles and he'll be full go come training camp. Now we don't have premier rushers off the edge, or elite shutdown corners, but at least our medical staff is top notch. :beer:

Like I said, they're taking a chance. Worst case scenario is that Merriman never plays another down (and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.) Then we've lost some $. Are you complaining that Ralph is spending $ now? Or are you saying we should have picked up someone else?

I'm just sick of nutcases on this board complaining about how everything we do is wrong, without suggesting any alternatives.

The opportunity to "pick someone else" didn't begin at the time they signed Merriman. They could have also not picked him up. There may be a very large number of guys who could play once and were recently (or not so recently) released.

i know. Merriman is the first NFL player in history to get hurt in practice. What were the Bills thinking?

The subtlety you are missing is that Merriman was already chronically injured. He then was reinjured very soon after his clearance physical, at the beginning of his first practice.

Now you are arguing logic with someone while trying to argue a fictitious point of view? Here are the facts guy:

He passed the team physical. He was signed. He re-aggravated an injury and was put on IR. Now he has re-signed with the team. You can play what if until you are blue in the face and it changes nothing.

So guess what? He DIDN'T fail.

Your entire argument is predicated on a hypothetical "tougher" physical that never occurred nor will occur in the future.

between this "logic" argument of yours and the idea that doctor's are just telling Buddy what he wants to hear just sounds like a conspiracy theorist grasping at straws.

If air was money we would all be rich. But it's not. Stop asking what if and get on with your life. :wallbash:

Wow. Anyway, I don't dispute anything in bold, so not sure what the "fictitious" yammering is about.

Very simply, he fell apart soon after what was clearly by a cursory exam meant to satisfy the GMs desire to put his former pet on the roster. That's hardly a conspiracy--it's just how things are done.

You say he "reaggrevated" an existing injury--how? By doing a simple, non contact position drill. If, as you say, this was a reinjury, then it was likely never fully healed and the same reaggravation would likely have appeared during a rigorous presigning workout and physical.

Why on earth would you not want to go above and beyond the standard exam for a guy with chronic injuries? That is my point. No need to bash your head. It's a simple premise and common sense.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Wow, that is negative.

He is just asking what most common sense people are thinking. It is a big risk, especially considering how thin our linebacking corps is now that Poz is a free agent.

Ahh, the irony.

These the same ones who cleared him before he signed and was subsequesntly (immediately) injured walking around on the field?

Anyway, why did this need a new thread?

Yeah, and the same stupid doctors who intervened in time to bring new hope after a catastrophic injury for Kevin Everett. Who'd want to listen to those idiots?

The opportunity to "pick someone else" didn't begin at the time they signed Merriman. They could have also not picked him up. There may be a very large number of guys who could play once and were recently (or not so recently) released.

The subtlety you are missing is that Merriman was already chronically injured. He then was reinjured very soon after his clearance physical, at the beginning of his first practice.

Wow. Anyway, I don't dispute anything in bold, so not sure what the "fictitious" yammering is about.

Very simply, he fell apart soon after what was clearly by a cursory exam meant to satisfy the GMs desire to put his former pet on the roster. That's hardly a conspiracy--it's just how things are done.

You say he "reaggrevated" an existing injury--how? By doing a simple, non contact position drill. If, as you say, this was a reinjury, then it was likely never fully healed and the same reaggravation would likely have appeared during a rigorous presigning workout and physical.

Why on earth would you not want to go above and beyond the standard exam for a guy with chronic injuries? That is my point. No need to bash your head. It's a simple premise and common sense.

Cuz you cant make tougher standards to select few, its called discrimination, dosnt matter your intent , if you were to be able to pick who would have to pass a tougher test than everyone else, that would be the definition of discrimination. So that means it is against the law, and the NFL standards, that would be why you would not want to go above and beyond the standard exam.

A physical prior to his signing is not going to be as informative as it would be after a full offseason of recuperation and training. There is no doubt that this is a risk signing. Not many other teams were interested in him. If it is determined that he is "impaired" to the point that he won't ever recover to near the point he once was as a player, then the gamble didn't work out. What was lost? Ralph's money? Big deal, he's got plenty stashed away as it stands.

Not to mention Ralphy will be dead soon and he can't take that 2.5 million with him...

Not the same docs.

MEDICAL STAFF aka idiots

Dr. Leslie Bisson Team Orthopedist

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino Team Physician

Dr. Greg Hudecki Team Dentist

Dr. John Marzo Medical Director

Dr. Tom White Team Physician

Andrew Cappuccino, MD '88, a team physician with the Bills, performed emergency spine surgery on Everett at Millard...

All you need is google to find out that Cappuccino did Dwan Edwards' physical and regularly is assigned this task for incoming FAs.