Im Confused about the Shawn Merriman signing

JPicc2114

You Negative Nancy's do realize that Merriman is only 26 years old right?

Spikes and Cowart ruptured their achilles tendons. My understanding of Merriman's injury is that it was not a rupture. If he can regain flexibility in that area, he should be able to return. Maybe not the best analogy, but Tiny Tim Connolly had concussion syndrome for like 37 years until the Buffalo Docs discovered it was actually something else with similar symptoms.

If it's my team and I can get a "maybe" on a player like Merriman who my Docs say should return to form... you bet I'm rolling those dice for 2.5 mil. When healthy, he has proven to be the type of impact player we're missing.

Edited by shoveldog

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would propose that most with common sense would realize that $2.5 million isn't a huge risk, and that there aren't many other options available in free agency. If he ends up injured it's not like he's going to be taking up a roster spot.

Not to mention our doctors and trainers had plenty of time to examine him to determine whether this was likely to carry into next season.

Let me turn this around. Who would you sign?

These the same ones who cleared him before he signed and was subsequesntly (immediately) injured walking around on the field?

Anyway, why did this need a new thread?

Why did the Bills spend 2.5 millon per year on a guy that probably will get hurt in pre-season?

What has he done in the last 3 years except prove that he can't stay healthy. I don't understand the Bills direction on that decision.

just my opinion. Im sure that 2.5 million could have been better utilized somewhere else.

There are a lot of reasons for criticizing this aggravating organization. What I'm not going to do is criticize Buddy Nix for taking a calculated risk on a former impact player who has had injury issues. If the Merriman experiment doesn't work out then at least he tried. I salute him for taking an out of the box approach in searching for better players.

These the same ones who cleared him before he signed and was subsequesntly (immediately) injured walking around on the field?

Anyway, why did this need a new thread?

Sio you're comparing a two hour physical to working with the guy for 2 months?

Sorry, I still don't understand the Bills decision. It makes no sense. Shawn Merriman is done people.. I can't believe none of you realize this.

So you wanted them to sign who?

I don't think his Achilles will get him through the whole season. Cowart- spikes had injured Achilles and rested it for the offseason and both of them didn't last more than 3 games.Sam Cowart didnt last the first series.spikes knew he had a problem and he blew his out in week 3.

Of course, a few years after his injury TKO is playing and playing well for the 49ers. But don't let that get in the way of a bad argument...

Sio you're comparing a two hour physical to working with the guy for 2 months?

Yeah--it turns out the two hour physical was much more important, unfortunately. And it didn't have to be limited to 2 hours. Merriman wansn't going anywhere.

This guy was the poster child for steroid body burnout. He'd done nothing for a year or more. This screamed for a more thorough exam than the "two hour" formality that he got. You think the team doctors were going to tell Buddy, who was dead set on bringing this kid here, "in his current shape, he's likely to injure himself the minute he steps onto the field"?

This should have been the most grueling physical evaluation imaginable, pushing him to extremes--a provocative test. Simple due diligence. That clearly wasn't done. It cannot be argued otherwise.

Why did the Bills spend 2.5 millon per year on a guy that probably will get hurt in pre-season?

What has he done in the last 3 years except prove that he can't stay healthy. I don't understand the Bills direction on that decision.

just my opinion. Im sure that 2.5 million could have been better utilized somewhere else.

I think that's an excellent question and point to bring up, Mr. Negative. (love that name, but the way.) :thumbsup:

You are obviously 100% right. Merriman has been injury-riddled these past three seasons. But I will give Buddy the benefit of the doubt on this one. Mostly because the guy is still only around 25 or 26 years old. Nix was involved in the Chargers' drafting him so they have a history together. Now Shawne has one more entire off season to finally (hopefully) heal up, and try to get back to where he was before the steroid allegations and injuries screwed his career up in San Diego.

If he gets close to his old level, the Bills will have basically stolen a Pro Bowl pass rushing machine, and when was the last time they pulled off a move like that? If he never plays a down for the Bills and ends up getting cut before next season starts (if next season ever starts of course), the money they spent bringing him in and then re-signing him for will be wasted yes.....but the total amount will end up being half of what they paid T.O. for his one wasted season in Buffalo two years ago. All in all I think it's a creative risk with a reward that would far exceed the money invested if the risk fails.

just a question..Merriman's been stating that the Buffalo doc's found something wrong with his ankle(or whatever part of his body he hurt)that the doc's in San Diego didn't find...could that be true?..if yes, then does he really have a chance of coming back at near full strength?...just wondering

That is what he said, yes. It's probably true. What we don't know, and no one knows, is whether this will make any difference at all, and whether he can return to any kind of form that makes him a valuable player to have on the Bills defense.

One thing I do know, however, is that training staffs can make a difference. I follow the Phoenix Suns pretty closely, and their training staff is highly regarded. Steve Nash swears by them, and he is playing like a young kid still. Grant Hill swears by them and he is guarding the top players every night at 38 years old. Shaq played there a year or two and credited them with all kinds of rejuvenation in his movement and overall health. So they can and do make a difference. We don't know for sure how good the Bills guys are, or whether what they found will help Merriman.

Yeah--it turns out the two hour physical was much more important, unfortunately. And it didn't have to be limited to 2 hours. Merriman wansn't going anywhere.

This guy was the poster child for steroid body burnout. He'd done nothing for a year or more. This screamed for a more thorough exam than the "two hour" formality that he got. You think the team doctors were going to tell Buddy, who was dead set on bringing this kid here, "in his current shape, he's likely to injure himself the minute he steps onto the field"?

This should have been the most grueling physical evaluation imaginable, pushing him to extremes--a provocative test. Simple due diligence. That clearly wasn't done. It cannot be argued otherwise.

They took a chance. It cost them very little relatively. Now they're taking another. It may not work out. Meh.

A physical prior to his signing is not going to be as informative as it would be after a full offseason of recuperation and training. There is no doubt that this is a risk signing. Not many other teams were interested in him. If it is determined that he is "impaired" to the point that he won't ever recover to near the point he once was as a player, then the gamble didn't work out. What was lost? Ralph's money? Big deal, he's got plenty stashed away as it stands.

Low risk , high reward. BTW the contract is incentive-laden.