Should Heads Roll if we don't make the Playoffs?

Glory Bound

Quite some time ago I had a frustrating few weeks while trying to negotiate a deal with my business. Finally, I had enuf. I scheduled one last meeting & walked into my opponent's office (for lack of a better term) & started the conversation like this, "I'm not one to leave ultimatums, but..." Well, he immediately interrupted me at that point & said, "Sometimes ultimatums can be a good thing...at least you know where the other person stands. Where sir do you stand this day?" Well guess what?..we struck a deal that day! My question is this, I know it's a different situation, but should Ralph leave an ultimatum with our current GM & coaching staff? "Make the playoffs in 2011 fellas, or most of you are gone." Would this approach up their game, or be counter productive? Opinions please....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite some time ago I had a frustrating few weeks while trying to negotiate a deal with my business. Finally, I had enuf. I scheduled one last meeting & walked into my opponent's office (for lack of a better term) & started the conversation like this, "I'm not one to leave ultimatums, but..." Well, he immediately interrupted me at that point & said, "Sometimes ultimatums can be a good thing...at least you know where the other person stands. Where sir do you stand this day?" Well guess what?..we struck a deal that day! My question is this, I know it's a different situation, but should Ralph leave an ultimatum with our current GM & coaching staff? "Make the playoffs in 2011 fellas, or most of you are gone." Would this approach up their game, or be counter productive? Opinions please....

The goal should be World Championship. Anything less is unacceptable. It's permissable to take 3 years to approach that goal, 5 years to achieve it, if a plan is in place and consistent improvement by whatever metrics are agreed to is seen. If we don't see the playoffs in 3 years something's wrong.

I would rather not see the playoffs next year (esp. given how strong our division is) but see solid improvement in attitude and competitiveness and RUN DEFENSE (excuse me while I exercise my peeve) and winning, than be a team like the Seahawks in the playoffs b'cuz they play in a weak division and get blown off the field once they take a step into the dance.

But our goal should not be "make the playoffs". Our goal should be World Championship.

No way. We've had too much of that over the last decade. Make a plan and stick with it

Keeping in mind the current "win now" attitude that has swept the NFL in recent years, isn't the Win/Loss record indicative as to whether the "plan" is working or not? And if not, why not clean house? How many quick turnarounds have we seen in the last 5 or 7 years? It can happen...& should happen, when GM's & coaches have the proper plan.

The goal should be World Championship. Anything less is unacceptable. It's permissable to take 3 years to approach that goal, 5 years to achieve it, if a plan is in place and consistent improvement by whatever metrics are agreed to is seen. If we don't see the playoffs in 3 years something's wrong.

I would rather not see the playoffs next year (esp. given how strong our division is) but see solid improvement in attitude and competitiveness and RUN DEFENSE (excuse me while I exercise my peeve) and winning, than be a team like the Seahawks in the playoffs b'cuz they play in a weak division and get blown off the field once they take a step into the dance.

But our goal should not be "make the playoffs". Our goal should be World Championship.

You are correct, but I think most head coaches have a 5-tiered goal (1) Make the playoffs, (2) Win the division, (3) Acquire home-field advantage thoughout the playoffs, (4) Win the conference championship game & play in the SB, & (5)Win the SB. I think it would be a little unrealistic for Ralph to say, "Win the Superbowl, or heads will roll."

The Bills have 0.00000001% chance of making the playoffs in 2011.

We seem to do this heads rolling thing every 36 months. It's been very successful, don't you think?

Maybe 'cause he hasn't left the ultimatum beforehand. Also, I'm not with you on your percentage. I think it's at least 0.00000002%

I agree the goal should be win the Super Bowl and it should be clearly stated each day. However, you don't necessarily fire people and blow things up if that goal isn't reached every day. Because, IMO, someone at the top has to temper that goal against the harsh light of realistic expectations. You then make the necessary changes each off season to address the reality of what occurred to once again achieve the goal. For example, we needed more coaching brains on the defense.. so you bring in DW. You don't have to blow the defense up; but you do have to realize there's a problem and address it. Now after a certain time, when your changes just aren't resulting in progress; then yeah you blow it up. IMO, 2 years is not enough time.

I disagree about not waning to make the playoffs next year, for 2 reasons: (1) you never know what may happen (ala the Jets last year backing in to the playoffs and then before you know it they're in the Championship game) and (2) the experience, confidence, and motivation if gives the players is invaluable. So, I'll take a blowout loss in the playoffs any day over just missing them. Also, yeah Seattle got blown out against the Bears, but that was in the divisional round; they beat the defending SB champs the week before. But, now tey all have confidence in the coaching staff, they're motivated to get back there again, and when/if they do they'll have this year's experience to draw upon to better handle the pressure.

The Bills have 0.00000001% chance of making the playoffs in 2011.

We seem to do this heads rolling thing every 36 months. It's been very successful, don't you think?

It's not the hiring and firing that's wrong but the individuals they choose for their most important roles. This franchise's track record filling their GM and HC positions remain among the worst in the NFL, thus necessitating the next GM and/or HC hire. At this point, only the Raiders and their senile owner make more moves and get less from them.

Buffalo is averaging a little over 6 wins per campaign for a decade, which indicates they repeatedly hire individuals who cannot develop a cogent plan. And organizationally, it seems the executives in Buffalo are frequently overruled by those in Grosse Point Shores, MI. Continuity is a nice buzz word, but there is a bad and good kind, espeically their front office types like Overdorf and Modrak who cannot be fired no matter what.

Edited by BillsVet

this is dumb. lets say for arguments sake that the bills go 10-6 and miss the playoffs. it has happend before and given the strength of our division and conference totally possible. so if this happends he should turn over our coaching and gm staff in only their second year after such improvement. amazing

AGREED!

Keeping in mind the current "win now" attitude that has swept the NFL in recent years, isn't the Win/Loss record indicative as to whether the "plan" is working or not? And if not, why not clean house? How many quick turnarounds have we seen in the last 5 or 7 years? It can happen...& should happen, when GM's & coaches have the proper plan.

yeah happends all the time at 1 bills drive. over a decade playoff drought and how many head coaches. christ its like you have never paid attention to this team or the league. those turnovers only exist when good teams have bad years. over a decade(half a generation) of bade football doesnt count as a bad year

You are correct, but I think most head coaches have a 5-tiered goal (1) Make the playoffs, (2) Win the division, (3) Acquire home-field advantage thoughout the playoffs, (4) Win the conference championship game & play in the SB, & (5)Win the SB. I think it would be a little unrealistic for Ralph to say, "Win the Superbowl, or heads will roll."

Maybe 'cause he hasn't left the ultimatum beforehand. Also, I'm not with you on your percentage. I think it's at least 0.00000002%

yes but realistically in sport you look at a goal, then how to get there. the goal isnt to make the playoffs, playoffs are the first step. taking that step isnt a goal necassarily, it is just something you do, and you continue to track progress as you strive for the end goal, super bowl. as soon as a franchise sees a consistant lack of progress then you think about turning over staff

:lol:

A 4-12 Team in the 2nd year of a TOTAL rebuild, with a million holes still to fill and a questionable QB situation...I'd say you should be thanking the GM and Coaches for hanging around this mess... Ultimatums? Not quite yet... B-)

Expectations should be low until year 4 of the rebuild. We're only now just entering year 2. Basically like building a college program, they need a few years to get all of their players on the team.

It's one thing to be looking for positive forward movement and improvement (which we have been making, even if it's not as quickly as some posters would like). But to say "If we dont make the playoffs in year 2, we're clearing house again" is just ridiculous.

You struck a deal with an "opponent", that's not apples to apples. Ralph's GM and coaching staff are on his team. If you walked into your opponents office and said "If I don't do as good of a job as you, then I'll fire all my employees", that might be a closer analogy.

You struck a deal with an "opponent", that's not apples to apples. Ralph's GM and coaching staff are on his team. If you walked into your opponents office and said "If I don't do as good of a job as you, then I'll fire all my employees", that might be a closer analogy.

I said, "for lack of a better term". Things are always a little edgy during the negotiating process...then once the deal was struck, we were BFF's.

Just trying to figure out the proper way to light a fire with this current staff. Gailey looks like a male librarian with his glasses continually peering at his play sheet...Jauron was Mr. Smug... I'm ready for some emotion from the top dogs. Maybe Wanny can bring it.

If Ralph said by 2012 to 2013 yes but unrealistic we can right this sinking defense ship that quikcly unless the response to Ralph is "Well sire we can do 2011 however ya better open up that wallet"

If Ralph said by 2012 to 2013 yes but unrealistic we can right this sinking defense ship that quikcly unless the response to Ralph is "Well sire we can do 2011 however ya better open up that wallet"

Not sure the wallet thing works either...i.e. Dan Snyder I like your point though...perhaps 2011 shouldn't be the deadline yr. But can we endure another losing year?

this team has no expectations...we can't make any predictions especially before free agency and the draft. if we have a draft similar to the one we had last year we will be right back at the top of the draft next season. by this i mean that we have no players coming into next season making a difference on this team.