Bellichek's arrogance costs the Patriots again

LasBillzz

You know what Lebron said about karma last week...well it sure looked like the Cheatriots* could have used a speed receiver to stretch the field against the Jets. Deion Branch is NOT that guy... the Jets could sit down in coverage because they had few worries about the long ball from Brady. Say what you will about Randy Moss and yes he is a pathetic jerk, but he always showed up in the playoffs. Also obvious was the lack of pressure on Sanchez by NE...Richard Seymour was likewise tossed aside by the All Knowing Genius...yes draft choices are nice, but no one can guarantee those picks will be game changers like these two. What's that about a bird in hand, Billy boy?

You know what Lebron said about karma last week...well it sure looked like the Cheatriots* could have used a speed receiver to stretch the field against the Jets. Deion Branch is NOT that guy... the Jets could sit down in coverage because they had few worries about the long ball from Brady. Say what you will about Randy Moss and yes he is a pathetic jerk, but he always showed up in the playoffs. Also obvious was the lack of pressure on Sanchez by NE...Richard Seymour was likewise tossed aside by the All Knowing Genius...yes draft choices are nice, but no one can guarantee those picks will be game changers like these two. What's that about a bird in hand, Billy boy?

The Bolded part is so true. The odds of getting a richard seymour type player with the #17 pick are very slim. Seymour when healthy is probably one of if not the single most dominant defensive linemen in football. Sanchez like most other qb's is a good qb when not faced with pressure, when you can get after him though he tends to be easily rattled, and is cutler esque in his poor decision making.

As soon as the game was over I thought to myself, "The Patriots could have really used Moss' help in that game."

No doubt about it. They had no to go deep to. Jets just clogged the short and intermediate routes, which also helps contain the run. But letting Moss go may have been Kraft's doing.

2 other big mistakes from that game:

1. benching Welker for the 1st possession. You take your 2nd most important player on offense and essentially embaress him before the game. Pats had also won the trash talking contest due to him, and now you take away that team psychological advantage too. Would Brady have thrown that same pick if Welker were on the field? I seriously doubt things would have gone the exact way;

2. giving Chung the freedom to call a fake punt at his sole discretion.

Meh....coulda shoulda woulda. Seymour injured his back at the end of 2008. He'd had knee surgery that cost him the first 3rd of the season.

I can't blame the Pats for taking what looked like a value deal for a fading player. The Pats had a better D in 2009 (5th) than 2008 or this year (8th)

Deion Branch was invisible, and Brady had several long overthrows. If someone had hauled one of those in, game changer right there.

I think benching Welker sent a message to the Jets, "we think we can voluntarily hold out our top receiver and still beat ya"

No matter what Brady and Billy boy say, I think it was a diminishment to the Pats' build-up to the game. Pats don't need no steenkin' build up.

Now that's arrogance.

Edited by Hopeful

As soon as the game was over I thought to myself, "The Patriots could have really used Moss' help in that game."

Moss woudn't have done squat in that game. COME ON MAN! Moss was there when the Jets beat them during the regular season. He had 2 catches for 38 yards........ LOL!

Edited by Azucho98

Early in his career yes. But in four playoff games with NE, he only had 12 catches for 142 yards and one TD. And he basically quit halfway through last year's loss to Baltimore.

Reavis still would have shut him down yesterday.

Imagine how much better off Pats would have been if Moss occupied their best DB yesterday? Moss still put points on the board against Revis.

Ehh I kinda agree. Moss at his best takes pressure off receivers, and it opens up all the short crossing routes that NE Loves to run. Moss became more or less a decoy with the Pats, and was disinterested. He bounced around 3 teams within the matter of just a few weeks. He might've helped, but its tough to say cause the Randy Moss of 2010 was not the Randy Moss of 2007.

It's spelled Belichick. :rolleyes::worthy:

Anyway clearly Belichick has been exposed as a cheater....He has a career 14-3 career playoff record before 2007, and he is 2-3 post "Spy Gate". I'm pretty sure Belichick also cheated on his wife starting in 2004. And "Tommy Boy" Brady picked up that trait well from his Sith Lord.

Dad always said the 3 things you don't want to be in life are a: Liar, Cheater, & Stealer. Belichick seems to fit that MO.

Edited by BiggieScooby

Ehh I kinda agree. Moss at his best takes pressure off receivers, and it opens up all the short crossing routes that NE Loves to run. Moss became more or less a decoy with the Pats, and was disinterested. He bounced around 3 teams within the matter of just a few weeks. He might've helped, but its tough to say cause the Randy Moss of 2010 was not the Randy Moss of 2007.

Thing is everyone is praising Pats for having such a short leash with players ... basically "one and done" in terms of screw up or complaints. But I think the hallmark of great personel management is keeping the malcontents productive. If Revis had been on Pats he would have been traded before the season. And where would Jets be w/o Revis right now?

What the heck happened to Meyo in that game? He looked like a world-beater for awhile and don't even remember hearing his name. Stat sheet shows 3 tackles and 3 assists but for all I know he didn't even suit up.

Imagine finishing the season 15-3 and being told you were arrogant for following your model. One that has had you in superbowl contention for a decade.

They lost a game, and people talk like they aren't the team everybody is gunning for anymore. Everyone gives the patriots there best shots every week and they consistently win. I think people are overstepping the significance of one game.

Early in his career yes. But in four playoff games with NE, he only had 12 catches for 142 yards and one TD. And he basically quit halfway through last year's loss to Baltimore.

Reavis still would have shut him down yesterday.

Maybe....but the underneath stuff to Welker would have been more effective had the Jets had to account for Moss.

Maybe the Pats* have a hard time winning in the playoffs because they aren't cheating anymore? They got steamrolled in the playoffs last year by the Ravens at home when they were on a 12 game winning streak at home in the playoffs and suddenly they can't win games at home anymore?

They were juggernauts in the regular season this year but suddenly once you get into the post season they aren't this team that always finds a way to pull it out? Its possible to win in the regular season behind a great QB but it takes a great team and a great D to win in the playoffs and when you are stripped of an advantage you once have you aren't going to be as good.

Yet when they were cheating they always seemed to win at home and make these second half comebacks. Suddenly they can't magically find ways to win games after they get caught cheating?

Cost them again? Last I checked he had 3 SB rings...Not to mention he won those without Moss and lost with Moss.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I think this loss is overrated - as PFT points out, this was a rebuilding year for the pats and they still went 15-3.

I think in our last 3 years rebuilding we've won 15 games. Hell, we lost 3 in September.

I'll link the article below but essentially talks about the early major injuries, and huge number of rookies playing. I'm not chalking this one up to Tom being done or belichek being arrogant. Unfortunately this team has another 5-6 years in their run, and more if they find a qb of TE future towards the end of that.

And for all those saying Brady played like a 6th rounder? Sorry but what does that make fitz then? If he put up that game against a jets D in the playoffs he would be our savior. They lost by 7 points.

This thread just screams desperation. Are we really making fun of them for not winning the superbowl in 5 years when we haven't even been to the postseason in 10? Or beat them over those 5?

It just makes me sad to be a bills fan when all we've got left is to laugh at the cool kids while we sit in the corner by ourselves.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/18/upgrading-line-play-tops-patriots-offseason-priorities/

Edited by NoSaint

What the heck happened to Meyo in that game? He looked like a world-beater for awhile and don't even remember hearing his name. Stat sheet shows 3 tackles and 3 assists but for all I know he didn't even suit up.

Meyo was the player who tucked Shone Greene into bed. On the Jets last touchdown run.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I think this loss is overrated - as PFT points out, this was a rebuilding year for the pats and they still went 15-3.

I think in our last 3 years rebuilding we've won 15 games. Hell, we lost 3 in September.

This thread just screams desperation. Are we really making fun of them for not winning the superbowl in 5 years when we haven't even been to the postseason in 10? Or beat them over those 5?

It just makes me sad to be a bills fan when all we've got left is to laugh at the cool kids while we sit in the corner by ourselves.

All too true. But remember, it's mostly frustration and and some schadenfreud speaking. It's also made all the worse because we've struggled for so long, that many who'll still spend the effort to post are those who's passions still run hot (and negatively hot at this point)

The Patriots lost because the Jets outplayed them. It had nothing to do with Moss. As a matter of fact, having Moss played into what the defense wants- not because Moss is a jerk, but because of the way the Patriots are built. When they had Moss, Brady held the ball and waited for him to go deep. After they cut him, the offense started producing. For the patriots to be efficient, Brady has to be able to unload the ball almost when he finishes his drop back- the Jets took away the short passing game and made him hold the ball. It is football, they are humans- stuff happens. There is a reason New England beat out the Jets for the division, just like there is a reason they lost to the Jets on Sunday.

Moss might have helped but he's not very good in the playoffs.

He has averaged about 40 yards per game in his last 7 playoff games including 3 games under 20 yards.

Chances are he gets blanketed by Revis and pouts.

I'd like to think Belichick is making bad moves but I think letting go of vets is a stong suit for Belichick.

Their biggest problem as I see it is that they had several years where they didn't draft all that well. They had a very good draft last year though.