Text: Wanny meets with Bills Defensive Staff

JoeF

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little lost myself. I can't see him taking anything less than DC, but the way the article goes, he is here because there is an opening for a LB coach, which doesn't make sense.

they are saying they aren't sure what his role would be. My guess is they are considering a change at DC, but don't want to dump Edwards without someone to replace him. But I don't know. I think it is looking more like they are going to try to talk him into a smaller job he doesn't want, and he ends up somewhere else.

Ron Rivera was the Defensive Coordinator in Chicago. They were quite good under him. For some reason, he had a falling out there, and he came to San Diego as the "Linebackers Coach" under Wade Phillips. That appeared to be a step backwards. When Phillips left for Dallas, Rivera assumed the DC role. He is now a head coach in Carolina...so it is not completely unheard of....

Official via Twitter:

AdamSchefter One more job down. @SDchargersdude Greg Manusky is the Chargers new defensive coordinator.

But would he have play calling control over Edwards? My guess is no.

I would say definitely yes! What would the point of bringing him be if we arent going to let him do his, or even A job?

He comes in as AHC, Edwards keeps his DC "title", and everything on the D side of the ball goes through Wanny. Just like our Offense, the OC, and Chan. A lot of HCs who specialize in one side of the ball have play calling control on that side, even if they have a "coordinator". Id expect the same here.

That way, Chan lets his guy Edwards save face and not technically demote him in title(something every HC is reluctant to do because it then makes it more difficult to hire Coordinators in the future if need be). And we bring in a new/real leader of the D.

I dont get all of these other scenarios?

Edited by DrDankenstein

I would say definitely yes! What would the point of bringing him be if we arent going to let him do his, or even A job?

He comes in as AHC, Edwards keeps his DC "title", and everything on the D side of the ball goes through Wanny. Just like our Offense, the OC, and Chan. A lot of HCs who specialize in one side of the ball have play calling control on that side, even if they have a "coordinator". Id expect the same here.

That way, Chan lets his guy Edwards save face and not technically demote him in title(something every HC is reluctant to do because it then makes it more difficult to hire Coordinators in the future if need be). And we bring in a new/real leader of the D.

I dont get all of these other scenarios?

Not sure why we need to let Edwards save face. Why keep him?

I hope he does come here. He's proven, talented and has historically worked well with our Head Coach. Those are some monster advantages right there. He's a much better Pro coach than a college one. He's also a better coordinator than a Head coach.

We have a number of other advantages as well. We're early in the head coaches career here (meaning that he's less likely to be fired in a year or two) in a rebuilding phase no less so expectations are low. We've already started the rebuild and have bottomed out so there's nowhere to go but up. Every positive defensive gain will be attributed to him. We're not devoid of talent either. (Although we are poor in the LB ranks and have no depth)

That's a lot of positives in our favor.

What is lame is that he can't just come take it over. That he has to deal w/ Edwards and his staff. If he wants to that's fine...but those people IMO should be working with him (should he come to buffalo) not the other way around. Basically I'm saying...if Wanny wants to come he should be the man. Plain and simple. Anything else is lame. What he'll be subordinate to some 1 year DC that had the worst Buffalo D of my life? That literally looked nonsensical at times? Hogwash.

Gregg Williams' first year was worse......despite what he claimed when he came here

It sounds like from the article that Chan still isn't ready to get rid of Edwards. Wannstead wont take anything less than DC. The Bills should give it to him, but I don't think they will which stinks.

if he comes here it will in a position of assistant HC in charge of defense.

if he comes here it will in a position of assistant HC in charge of defense.

Assistant Head coach is perfect as a position and a very good title. It leaves him room to add value and or influnce to the discussions with in the team as a whole. Lotta freedom probably in this case to find strengths.

Edwards just did not have the personnel depth on the D line this year. And heck we struggled with our LBs early on too. Consider him a rookie for us and give him another season please.

I think these three could have some great synergy going into this off season.

Our defense needs help the most so i am sure they are all going to be working on it.

I do not mind what they title him or how much they pay him...well. But i hope we would all be glad to give him a twirl.

Any updates about who else he IS talking to?

Edited by 3rdand12

The interesting thing is that Gailey was very supportive of his staff in his year end PC, but now they are looking at a fairly high-profile guy to come in and coach the defense. Interesting. Maybe Buddy Nix woke up from his nap? ;)

At least it's not like Donahoe, who hired a "defensive genius" as his head coach, and then turned around and hired a defensive consultant to fix the defense. :doh:

It would seem our odds of landing Wannstedt are improving.

Dallas is pursuing Rob Ryan for their DC position.

Cleveland is rumored to be closing in on Dick Jauron, and San Diego hired Greg Manusky.

How many other teams are looking for defensive coordinators?

I guess Carolina is still in the running?

hard to see any bona fide DC coming to Buffalo when their salary requirements for a quality DC would be more than Chan is getting paid

the only hope is the remaining salary from thier prior employer is big enough to offset the low pay from the Bills

believe it or not but buffalo is his first choice... just got done with college football and all that comes with... If i'm davey.. I would eat up a good paying AHC/Defensive consultant or whatever you want to call it over a strait DC job anyday...but that's me

Where did you hear that? And why would Buffalo be his first choice? Because of Gailey?

Not sure why we need to let Edwards save face. Why keep him?

Why do you think he is "saving face". The guy turn down the DC job at Florida to come to Buffalo. He might actually be well repsected by people who know the game? Edwards was a first year DC and he had the worst front 7 in the NFL to work with. They sucked at stopping the run before he ever got there and on top of that they ask him to switch to a 3-4. Here are your linbebackers - Chris Ellis, Aaron Maybin, Poz, Ellison and Chris Kelsey .. Good Luck Mr. Edwards!! Oh, and your best player Aaron Schobel, he retired. But don't worry we will give you Dwan Edwards, Andra Davis, Troup and Carrington. woo hoo!!

Just maybe Edwards is a bright and talented guy that will learn from Wanstadt?

Look at the Pats*. They lost both coordinators and their GM and they replaced them from within. good organizations grow talent from within, that includes Players, coaches, scouts, and front office.

Can't say I blame Wanny for taking his time and exploring all his options - though my money would still be on him joining the Bills, based on his relationship with Chan Gailey, the loftier title of Ass't HC in Buffalo, the Browns' HC Pat Shurmur's complete lack of experience as a head coach, and the golden opportunity to be part of a stellar turnaround about to occur here in The BuffTown...

19 and 0 baby!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

FEAR THE 'STACHE!!!!! B-)

post-2970-068113400 1295299981_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Can't say I blame Wanny for taking his time and exploring all his options - though my money would still be on him joining the Bills, based on his relationship with Chan Gailey, the loftier title of Ass't HC in Buffalo, the Browns' HC Pat Shurmur's complete lack of experience as a head coach, and the golden opportunity to be part of a stellar turnaround about to occur here in The BuffTown...

19 and 0 baby!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

FEAR THE 'STACHE!!!!! B-)

If the Bills were to get the stache they would have alrady done it. You can bet its Ralph. When has he paid for qualified coaches? Yeah a few times but not a lot.

If the Bills were to get the stache they would have alrady done it. You can bet its Ralph. When has he paid for qualified coaches? Yeah a few times but not a lot.

I couldn't disagree more - if they Bills (i.e., Ralph) didn't want Wannstadt, or were not willing to pay him, they would never have brought him here last week to interview and meet with the entire defensive coaching staff.

The only one holding this up is Wannstache, and I believe he'll he on board very soon. He's just looking at all available opportunities, and maybe even getting a read on other teams coaching staffs. JMO, of course.

Fear the 'stache.

post-2970-068993700 1295309359_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

I couldn't disagree more - if they Bills (i.e., Ralph) didn't want Wannstadt, or were not willing to pay him, they would never have brought him here last week to interview and meet with the entire defensive coaching staff.

The only one holding this up is Wannstache, and I believe he'll he on board very soon. He's just looking at all available opportunities, and mayber even getting a read on other teams coaching staffs. JMO, of course.

Fear the 'stache.

Here's hoping your right and I'm wrong but I think they probably brought him in here gave him a low offer with a big title like asst.head coach and hoped he would take it. I think he lands in Cleveland.

Here's hoping your right and I'm wrong but I think they probably brought him in here gave him a low offer with a big title like asst.head coach and hoped he would take it. I think he lands in Cleveland.

We've been led down the aisle, then left at the altar, by bigger names than Wanny - so your skepticism is certainly understandable.

I just think that he'll come here because

1) Cleveland HC Pat Shurmur is a rookie HC and probably in over his head - a disastrous tenure in Cleveland won't help Wanny's résumé

2) Shurmur's interviewing anyone who'll fly to Cleveland to be pitched (Jauron's also interviewing for the spot)

3) Gailey and Wannstadt already have a good relationship from their time together in Miami

4) The prospects for an amazing turn-around are far better with the Bills - what other team has so much room for improvement???