Fairley vs Newton

beggar13

Haynesworth anchored some pretty good defenses on a team that went to the playoffs several times. I'd be thrilled if the Bills got an Albert Haynesworth.

Well I would NEVER want Haynesworth on the Bills.

Maybe my perception is colored by that all-time cheap shot (by Fairley, not Haynesworth) when he ran full speed into the Georgia QB from behind and speared him in the lower back...seconds after the ball had been thrown. That was the game in which he was called for 3 personal fouls.

If I knew Fairley could be disciplined to not play like a thug, I'd be all for drafting him. He's a great player.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have watched on and off. Fairley pretty much dominates the line of scrimmage. He is strong enough to play in the NFL this weekend if he needed to. Love to see him picked, but I don't think he'll slip past Carolina or Denver after tonight's performance.

If I knew Fairley could be disciplined to not play like a thug, I'd be all for drafting him. He's a great player.

If there is an equivalent or close DT that doesn't have those concerns, than yes, I'd prefer the other guy. But I'm not ready to pass on that guy who just beat a double team and slammed the RB for a loss over a few PFs. And I do think that can be coached out of most guys at the pro level. No way to know if he's one of those guys.

Right - and a guy can't help from the sideline if he's suspended ala Albert, or someone takes out there knees as revenge. There sacks become meaningless if they get a personal foul a play later. He's a stud no doubt, but that aggression needs to be better managed. I think the auburn line has illustrated a coaching issue with this regard. I hope it can be coached out of him.

I think I have to agree with you there. They don't play to the whistle they play well through the whistle, they don't stop at the boundaries, they hit through the boundaries, definitely coached. Refs are letting them have at it though.

No one said he's terrible, he just looks like a typical run-first college QB who only throws downfield if a guy is wide open (and he badly overthrew the last guy who was five yards behind the defense). Yes, he's very good at it, but people talking like he is some all time great and a sure-fire NFL star is puzzling to say the least.

If you just ignored the running and running plays, as a QB in three quarters he was 18-29 for 234 and 2 TDs (which translates to 24 - 39 for 300+ or so). With 2-3 Tds. In the championship game, and that's ignoring his best trait, his running and scrambling and playmaking. And it's his WORST game.

Fairley will be going #1 overall to Carolina and will no longer be available for the Bills. He probably wont make it past Denver either, if given the chance.

Yeah, I don't undetstand why everyone in this thread is acting like we'll have a choice to make. If the Panthers don't take hin, he is definitely a Bronco. Unless he fails a drug test or gets hurt during the offseason, he's undoubtedly a top two pick.

I think I have to agree with you there. They don't play to the whistle they play well through the whistle, they don't stop at the boundaries, they hit through the boundaries, definitely coached. Refs are letting them have at it though.

It's been all season. it's been interesting to watch as someone that not particularly attached to auburns success or failure. I'm amazed refs haven't cracked down extra as the season went on. I know they've been called a lot but most calls have been on amazingly unmissable dirty plays. Anything borderline they have let go. One game you could here the ref say "do it again and I'm flagging it"

If it's dirty enough to flag next time, flag it this time.... Especially on a team with a rep. Almost as tho the SEC wanted to keep them undefeated and in a title game.

And another auburn 15 yarder to compound the turnover.

And credit Matthews for a huge play.

No one said he's terrible, he just looks like a typical run-first college QB who only throws downfield if a guy is wide open (and he badly overthrew the last guy who was five yards behind the defense). Yes, he's very good at it, but people talking like he is some all time great and a sure-fire NFL star is puzzling to say the least.

He only has like 80 yards rushing with like 244 passing yards with 2 tds and a pick hows that equvalate to a run first qb? Yea he had some over throws but so does Brady and Manning it happens...

If you just ignored the running and running plays, as a QB in three quarters he was 18-29 for 234 and 2 TDs (which translates to 24 - 39 for 300+ or so). With 2-3 Tds. In the championship game, and that's ignoring his best trait, his running and scrambling and playmaking. And it's his WORST game.

I've seen three deep balls where the WR was completely wide open. One for a score, one down to the ten and one badly overthrown. Other than that, he's completed one medium range pass over about 8 yards downfield -- the first TD which was also a wide open WR sitting down in a zone who then ran it in. Every other play he's either looked to run first or dump the ball off and his guys get good RAC against an overmatched defense that can't pressure the QB or maintain coverage.

And that's all fine and well and they're going to win a championship and he deserves his Heisman Trophy and place on the lists of best seasons by a college quarterback. But to think this style/skill set is vastly different from every other 'dual-threat' college QB from the last 30 years is fantasy. Is he really going to run that QB draw for 20 yards on 3d and 12 and keep the drive going in the NFL? How many times is a team going to let him use his 6'6' 250 to pound into the line for a few yards? I don't think too many if they want a healthy QB (especially if he can't protect the ball any better than that).

I've seen nothing tonight to make me think this guy should be a high draft pick.

Fairley. Newton has missed two easy TD passes, Fairley has been all over the field all game. Not even close. Newton has also had the benefit all season of a very dominant O-line, he won't have that here. No one should take Netwon in the first round, and he should give his Heisman to Luck. That said, I'll be surprised if Fairley is available when we pick.

Edited by RyanC883

He only has like 80 yards rushing with like 244 passing yards with 2 tds and a pick hows that equvalate to a run first qb? Yea he had some over throws but so does Brady and Manning it happens...

Brady and manning? Really?

He has missed a number of big throws. I love his on field play this year but to say he is clearly an NFL talent yet alone utter those names as a reference..... I'll stay away, so as to avoid getting burned by the coming flames.

And I can't let his 22 rushes go unmentioned.

Let's see if he can record a signature win now that it's all tied up.

Edited by NoSaint

Newton has a ways to go if he is going to start in the NFL. First off, he'll get injured right off the bat if he tries to run the ball himself. He was close to getting knocked out of the game on a few occasions tonight. Second, he is pretty much a more elusive version of Tim Tebow. Take that as you will, but he shoudn't go #3 overall. Third, he's got the arm, but I want to see him make those passes when he is contained on every play. The NFL isn't going to let him run outside of the tackles at will. He's going to have to stay in the pocket and make those throws. I'm not sure he can do that yet.

Fairley is the guy, I just doubt he'll fall to the Bills. Which is why I've been saying all along that Luck going back to school hurts the Bills more than it helps the Bills.

You're obviously not waching the second half of the game.

Obviously if you know football you know if you have a lead in the 4th you run more to run time out. Now if you were pertaining to that as he is a run first qb then your correct but if you seen the 1st half you seen his passing skills. Oh and does 65 yards rush even qualify as a running qb?

Brady and manning? Really?

He has missed a number of big throws. I love his on field play this year but to say he is clearly an NFL talent yet alone utter those names as a reference..... I'll stay away, so as to avoid getting burned by the coming flames.

And I can't let his 22 rushes go unmentioned.

Let's see if he can record a signature win now that it's all tied up.

I wasn't comparing him to Brady or Manning thats crazy. What I ment by mentioning them was the fact they overthrow or under throw it happens its football...Its kinda insane to say those two names are off limits in a discussion about quarterbacks, when they are the best at there position. Who am I supposed to use matt stafford and carson palmer?

Oh and he got that signature win...LOL..

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

Newton has a ways to go if he is going to start in the NFL. First off, he'll get injured right off the bat if he tries to run the ball himself. He was close to getting knocked out of the game on a few occasions tonight. Second, he is pretty much a more elusive version of Tim Tebow. Take that as you will, but he shoudn't go #3 overall. Third, he's got the arm, but I want to see him make those passes when he is contained on every play. The NFL isn't going to let him run outside of the tackles at will. He's going to have to stay in the pocket and make those throws. I'm not sure he can do that yet.

Fairley is the guy, I just doubt he'll fall to the Bills. Which is why I've been saying all along that Luck going back to school hurts the Bills more than it helps the Bills.

Belichick would eat Newton alive.

PTR

I want Nick, not Cam. Cam is a project. Nick looks like he could play right away. And he's mean. That's what we need. We've had a team full of nice guys for too long. Based on all the bowl games I saw and who's slotted that high, he's the one I want.

Where is Matthews out of Oregon projected to go? He might be a nice pickup in 2nd or 3rd round.

Edited by reddogblitz