Schopp's flawed logic regarding James Starks and C.J Spiller

I understand the argument on why not to pick a RB high in the draft but Schopp loves to beat this dead horse unnecessarily.

Schopp's logic today on why we should not have drafted C.J Spiller was by referencing Green Bay's running attack (who has one of the worst running games in the league btw) and James Starks (undrafted?) who has had one good game in the NFL.

This logic is almost as bad as the posters who start threads on why we should have kept Marshawn Lynch soon after the Saints game on Saturday.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the argument on why not to pick a RB high in the draft but Schopp loves to beat this dead horse unnecessarily.

Schopp's logic today on why we should not have drafted C.J Spiller was by referencing Green Bay's running attack (who has one of the worst running games in the league btw) and James Starks (undrafted?) who has had one good game in the NFL.

This logic is almost as bad as the posters who start threads on why we should have kept Marshawn Lynch soon after the Saints game on Saturday.

Sorry for the rant.

Take all of Spiller's rookie year and compare it with the handful of games that Starks has played for Green Bay. I would say he has a point. It was a terrible pick. The best running back on this team was an un-drafted guy. Why waste a top ten pick on a running back? Especially when that running back was not touted as an all around running back coming out of college.

Take all of Spiller's rookie year and compare it with the handful of games that Starks has played for Green Bay. I would say he has a point. It was a terrible pick. The best running back on this team was an un-drafted guy. Why waste a top ten pick on a running back? Especially when that running back was not touted as an all around running back coming out of college.

I agree that taking a RB last year was not the best idea but Schoop using James Starks as the example is so flawed. That's my beef.

I agree that taking a RB last year was not the best idea but Schoop using James Starks as the example is so flawed. That's my beef.

It's not flawed.

As I said since the draft, even before it, the NFL has changed in the past 10 years and has resulted in RBs being devalued. Gone are the days of one RB carrying the load for a team. Gone are the days of teams being able to win a championship with just a stout D and super star RB. As a result, good teams are less likely to tie up valuable cap space on one super star RB and instead look to find more value by signing two cheaper backs to shoulder the load.

RBs have the quickest learning curve of any position in the NFL, meaning they're able to come right in and contribute. They also have one of the shortest shelf lives of any position, meaning you have to get the most out of them for as long as you can and be able to (financially) throw them away and move onto the next one. That means NOT wasting high draft picks on RBs.

This team has spent 5 high draft picks on RBs in the past decade. That's a problem. It shows that this organization as a whole, and Buddy Nix in particular, are clueless.

It's not flawed.

As I said since the draft, even before it, the NFL has changed in the past 10 years and has resulted in RBs being devalued. Gone are the days of one RB carrying the load for a team. Gone are the days of teams being able to win a championship with just a stout D and super star RB. As a result, good teams are less likely to tie up valuable cap space on one super star RB and instead look to find more value by signing two cheaper backs to shoulder the load.

RBs have the quickest learning curve of any position in the NFL, meaning they're able to come right in and contribute. They also have one of the shortest shelf lives of any position, meaning you have to get the most out of them for as long as you can and be able to (financially) throw them away and move onto the next one. That means NOT wasting high draft picks on RBs.

This team has spent 5 high draft picks on RBs in the past decade. That's a problem. It shows that this organization as a whole, and Buddy Nix in particular, are clueless.

Its flawed when you make a point with a player that has NO BODY OF WORK IN THE NFL - James Starks. You really grasp for straws when you make comparisons to players that only have been in the league for 1 or 2 years.

A valid argument would be Terrell Davis or even Fred Jackson as a few examples.

Sorry for the rant.

Basically, the people who defended the Spiller pick just need to shut the hell up right now. It's OK to be wrong, but seriously, there was no defense for that pick.

Nothing against CJ Spiller. He may very well have been the best athlete in the draft. That all is irrelevant.

It ALWAYS comes down to this: YOU DON'T NEED TO USE A FIRST ROUND PICK ON A RB.

EVER

The Bills have drafted 3 with their first pick in the past 7 years. That is utterly outrageous.

Yet.....some felt a need to defend the pick because Spiller is just so unbelievably spectacular. Forget the fact that the top two rushers in the NFL in 2009 played for non-playoff teams. One even played for the worst team in the league(Steven Jackson).

Remember this phrase: Running backs are a dime-a-dozen.

But when it comes to the most important position and most difficult to fill, QUARTERBACK , the Buffalo Bills haven't drafted one with their first selection in any draft since 1960. Almost a full quarter of their first overall picks since 1960 have been running backs, but only one QB, their first ever selection Richie Lucas of Penn State.

When it comes to the draft, it does matter which positions you address in round one. It's just a fact.

+1

The Spiller pick was absolutely idiotic for a team with these holes.

I'd honestly rather than LaGarrette Blount (undrafted), who is a 250 pound inside mauler. Way better for pros that CJ's "out-run 'em to the outside" high school play.

I think he read the James Starks thread on this board because several of us made the same point.

Certainly wouldn't be the first time we've done WGR's work for them. :D And, it wouldn't be the first time Schopp demonstrated his utter lack of football knowledge. :lol:

But wait, the last time I busted their balls, one of them tried to flame me, 26-pages and 4 PMs later(of course I still have all of them) = hysterical! :lol: :lol:

Too funny if they come back here again, and Epic Fail again!

Certainly wouldn't be the first time we've done WGR's work for them. :D And, it wouldn't be the first time Schopp demonstrated his utter lack of football knowledge. :lol:

But wait, the last time I busted their balls, one of them tried to flame me, 26-pages and 4 PMs later(of course I still have all of them) = hysterical! :lol: :lol:

Too funny if they come back here again, and Epic Fail again!

That would be hilarious. You should send them to me. No seriously man...send 'em.

They drafted him not just for this season, but future one's as well. I think some of us fans are being way too myopic about what the draft is. Would Spiller having a more impactful year been welcomed? Yes. If he had a great year this year and did nothing else in his career would people be happy? No. It's a marathon not a sprint in spite of the prevailing sentiments of today's immediate gratification society. Spiller is twenty two or three years old. It's not a Maybin situation where we never saw his talent displayed in preseason or regular season. Spiller did show some good things. Let time tell the tale instead of saying it was a wasted pick. Nobody on the board at that point was rated higher than Spiller. It was the right decision to make. And they should make that decision this season as well. They need elite athletes all over the place and Spiller is that. He has a good chance of paying off in the long run.

+1

The Spiller pick was absolutely idiotic for a team with these holes.

I'd honestly rather than LaGarrette Blount (undrafted), who is a 250 pound inside mauler. Way better for pros that CJ's "out-run 'em to the outside" high school play.

Watch the last several games. Spiller was running between the tackles. LaGarette Blount's running style will wear him out three or four years from now just like

Marion Barber's. When Spiller is doing well I hope all of you who were saying these things don't say you knew it all along. LoL

If Schopp was 1/2 as smart as he thought he was, he'd be a mole on Colin Cowherd's ***!

But, yes, we all know Spiller had a lousy year. However, that doesn't mean he'll never play to his potential. Look at Darren McFadden this year, being his 3rd year. It's too early to compare Starks to CJ.

The main difference so far, is Starks has played out of GB's desperation, but CJ's play was relegated behind FJ and ML.

Edited by Kettle Creek Football

If Schopp was 1/2 as smart as he thought he was, he'd be a mole on Colin Cowherd's ***!

But, yes, we all know Spiller had a lousy year. However, that doesn't mean he'll never play to his potential. Look at Darren McFadden this year, being his 3rd year. It's too early to compare Starks to CJ.

The main difference so far, is Starks has played out of GB's desperation, but CJ's play was relegated behind FJ and ML.

The bolded part is very important in keeping perspective as well.

Basically, the people who defended the Spiller pick just need to shut the hell up right now. It's OK to be wrong, but seriously, there was no defense for that pick.

Nothing against CJ Spiller. He may very well have been the best athlete in the draft. That all is irrelevant.

It ALWAYS comes down to this: YOU DON'T NEED TO USE A FIRST ROUND PICK ON A RB.

EVER

The Bills have drafted 3 with their first pick in the past 7 years. That is utterly outrageous.

Yet.....some felt a need to defend the pick because Spiller is just so unbelievably spectacular. Forget the fact that the top two rushers in the NFL in 2009 played for non-playoff teams. One even played for the worst team in the league(Steven Jackson).

Remember this phrase: Running backs are a dime-a-dozen.

But when it comes to the most important position and most difficult to fill, QUARTERBACK , the Buffalo Bills haven't drafted one with their first selection in any draft since 1960. Almost a full quarter of their first overall picks since 1960 have been running backs, but only one QB, their first ever selection Richie Lucas of Penn State.

When it comes to the draft, it does matter which positions you address in round one. It's just a fact.

Off the top of my head we have drafted two first round qb's Kelly and Losmam plus traded first round picks for Rob Johnson and Bledsoe.

This comes down to two ideologies.

1- Draft OL and make it a priority. That way, any old scrub can run behind that OL.

2- Draft RB and make it a priority. That was, any old scrub can try and block for that back.

Only one ideology produces in this day and age. Also, (and Im not certain there is any correlation between this or not – but I think I may be onto something) the teams that have good offensive lines tend to have better pass protection, which helps their passing game too!

Now obviously you could find good RBs/OLman in any round, but guess what, no position in the NFL is routinely filled with quality, productive, UNDRAFTED players like the RB position. Its not even close. NO position wears down like a RB does either. The lifespan of a RB is 4-5 years. The days of a RB carring it 350+ times a season are long gone. OLmen can play for 12-15.

Schopp’s logic isn’t flawed, its vastly superior to those in charge at OBD. He is saying any street FA can come in and jog through a truck lane sized hole and rack up the yards, which is essentially what happened last night.

Figure it out Ralph, its not rocket appliances.

Because he isn't going to be used as an "all around running back", and was never drafted to be an "all around running back" and for whatever reason you and the obnoxious nincompoop that is Mike Schopp seem to be judging him by that standard.

Sorry for the rant.

Starks has one more good game than Spiller for peanuts on the dollar.

Jim Kelly and JP Losman come to mind, plus traded 1st round picks for Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe.

Its flawed when you make a point with a player that has NO BODY OF WORK IN THE NFL - James Starks. You really grasp for straws when you make comparisons to players that only have been in the league for 1 or 2 years.

A valid argument would be Terrell Davis or even Fred Jackson as a few examples.

You're missing the point.

The point is that RBs are interchangeable. Even someone with no body of work in the NFL, like Starks, can be effective in the NFL. They can win playoff games for you. It shows not only how much the league has changed in the past 10 years, but how many talented RBs there are. Throw a rock at the combine and you'll hit a dozen.

But it's a passing league now, it's no longer a running league. And what guys like Starks show is that there is a gluttony of talented enough RBs at all levels that you can plug and play. Hence, it's stupid to pick a RB in the first round (or even 2nd) unless he is the missing piece to your Super Bowl team.

You're missing the point.

The point is that RBs are interchangeable. Even someone with no body of work in the NFL, like Starks, can be effective in the NFL. They can win playoff games for you. It shows not only how much the league has changed in the past 10 years, but how many talented RBs there are. Throw a rock at the combine and you'll hit a dozen.

But it's a passing league now, it's no longer a running league. And what guys like Starks show is that there is a gluttony of talented enough RBs at all levels that you can plug and play. Hence, it's stupid to pick a RB in the first round (or even 2nd) unless he is the missing piece to your Super Bowl team.

I'm not missing the point at all. In fact I agree with most of what is said about drafting in the 1st round. I just find that basing arguments off of players that had one decent game and making absolute statements is diluting the argument.

I rather look at the strategy that is being used in the league as the passing game to setup the run game than it being a passing league.

Off the top of my head we have drafted two first round qb's Kelly and Losmam plus traded first round picks for Rob Johnson and Bledsoe.

The top of your head is right. But not since 1960 have they selected one with their first pick in any draft. I believe the count at running back since then is 12.

The immortal Tony Hunter was the Bills first selection in 1983. Not Jim Kelly. That mull-again was the most fortunate bounce in all of Bills history. They PASSED on Jim Kelly once.

Lee Evans was selected with the Bills first round pick, they traded up from the second round to select JP.

When you trade up from a later round using a future pick or trade for a veteran, you are really saying you aren't willing to go all in. It's understandable to be gun shy. But a dozen frickin' RB's and no QB's? REALLY????

With all due respect to the woefully neglected offensive line, the lack of committment to drafting and developing QB's is the most glaring personnel issue for this franchise.

Jim Kelly and JP Losman come to mind, plus traded 1st round picks for Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe.

No, just Richie Lucas. The rest were second choices and hedged bets.

But when you have a meddling 92 year old owner who still thinks the league is RB driven you get that kind of shortsighted, instant gratification/low return approach to draft day.

It was a terrible pick. The best running back on this team was an un-drafted guy. Why waste a top ten pick on a running back? Especially when that running back was not touted as an all around running back coming out of college.

If his next five years are like this first one, you will have a point. But the reason you take a guy like this with a top ten pick is that you think he can do more than the undrafted guys and be a more explosive play maker. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen, but while I hate the first year lack of production, I care much more about what he does in the next few years, not what he does as a rookie in our twelve loss rebuilding low point.

The best left tackle we have had on our team in recent years was an undrafted tight end. Maybe we should not draft tackles and just try to convert undrafted tight ends.

I know I am a little off topic, but I think Spiller hasn't had a fair shake yet. Nobody in Minnesota is complaining that they drafted a running back in the first round.

Well he could have used Arian Foster, Fred Jackson, etc, etc...

So what if he used Starks?...His point overall is rock-solid...I did not understand the Spiller Pick at the time...I still don't get it...We can't forget The Bills already had Lynch and Jackson...It was a mind boggling Pick...Maybe one day Spiller will be the Bills Reggie Bush when we win the SB...But the Jury is SO out on that right now it's not even funny... B-)

Well he could have used Arian Foster, Fred Jackson, etc, etc...

So what if he used Starks?...His point overall is rock-solid...I did not understand the Spiller Pick at the time...I still don't get it...We can't forget The Bills already had Lynch and Jackson...It was a mind boggling Pick...Maybe one day Spiller will be the Bills Reggie Bush when we win the SB...But the Jury is SO out on that right now it's not even funny... B-)

But again the Arian Foster comparison is flawed as well if you used the same perspective as you have judged Spiller. This being production and that it his is first year and all.

Comparisons to players such as Fred Jackson are valid ones.

Determing the success of a pick after one season is rediculous. Talk to me after year 3.

Nobody in Minnesota is complaining that they drafted a running back in the first round.

I think you are proving the opposing point of view here.

Look at one of the most successful first round RB picks of recent history, Adrian Peterson.

With him, the Vikings stunk.

Until they got an elite-level year out of their quarterback, and they were contenders for a championship.

Then, they lose elite-level quarterback play, and look what happens.

Same dominant running back and high-quality offensive line.

Same elite run-stuffing and pass-rushing defensive line.

Utter failure with poor QB play. Funny, huh?

People do not realize that he was not even the featured running back on the team this year. Lets judge him when he gets 18- 25 carries in a game.

The point is he may NEVER get 18-25 carries a game. He's not an every down back. Chan said so himself.

I think you are proving the opposing point of view here.

Look at one of the most successful first round RB picks of recent history, Adrian Peterson.

With him, the Vikings stunk.

Until they got an elite-level year out of their quarterback, and they were contenders for a championship.

Then, they lose elite-level quarterback play, and look what happens.

Same dominant running back and high-quality offensive line.

Same elite run-stuffing and pass-rushing defensive line.

Utter failure with poor QB play. Funny, huh?

This is what I've been saying for over a year now.

Some people won't get it. They watch the NFL and think the game is the same as it was in 1995. Hell, it's not even the same as it was in 2001 let alone the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s.

Let's break it down so it's clear. The NFL is an entertainment venture. The powers that be want to put the most entertaining product on the field each week. And despite the many defensive fanatics out there who love smash mouth football (and I'm one of them), the league knows that offense, not defense, sells tickets. Thus, they changed the very rules of the game to up passing numbers and scoring. This has been a continual trend since the invention of the forward pass.

AP is a great example of this. With him, the Vikings made the playoffs but couldn't get to the Super Bowl. Here is arguably the best RB in the league with a very good (at the time) offensive line and good enough defense. He couldn't do it on his own. Enter Farve and suddenly this team was one play away from a Super Bowl birth.

RBs cannot do it by themselves anymore on offense. It cannot be done. You will never see a "game manager" QB win a Super Bowl again unless they altar the rules once more and give DBs back some of their leverage. Thus, the only people who find solace (or logic) in ever drafting a first round RB, no matter how good he is, are the fans or GMs who don't understand how the game has changed.

BuffaloBillsForever wants to validate the Spiller pick. That's fine. Everyone on this board wants Spiller to be nothing short of amazing. Hell, I'd much rather be wrong about this than be right. I'd much rather watch Spiller explode next year for 3,000 all purpose yards and 20 TDs as he guides the Bills to a Super Bowl win. I hope he does.