Do you immunize your children?

Beerball

Maybe they got autism from silicone in her breast milk.

+1 I don't know how somebody who got famous for taking off her clothes and showing her fake boobs is now a health care expert. (God, I hate those fake things!)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. Empirically, even with the liberal definition of autism, it seems like it's getting worse every year. Take Alzheimer's disease. Prior to its diagnosis as a clinical entity and not just "uncle Frank being weird," it hasn't exploded to the degree autism seemingly has.

I looked more closely at this (it's what I do) and the consensus is that it is just the opposite.

..."The 2009 World Alzheimer Report, released by Alzheimer's Disease International, a nonprofit federation of 71 national Alzheimer organizations, estimates that the global prevalence of dementia, predicted to be more than 35 million in 2010, will almost double every 20 years to 65.7 million in 2030 and 115.4 million in 2050."

Global Prevalence of Alzheimer's Disease Set to Double Every 20 Years

..."It should also be noted that all of this research, while supporting the hypothesis that the rise in autism diagnoses is not due to a true increase in the incidence but rather is due to a broadening of the definition and increased surveillance, does not rule out a small genuine increase in the true incidence. A small real increase can be hiding in the data. There is no evidence upon which we can conclude, however, that true autism rates are increasing."

The Increase in Autism Diagnoses: Two Hypotheses

It's not like this is going to matter at all to the anti-immunization crowd. I'll bet their rebuttal is "But it's not the vaccine, it's the mercury IN the vaccine, so this study doesn't matter!"

really??? by that logic, if there was **** in the air that "made you autistic", they'd tell you not to breathe???? really??? nobody is that dumb...are they?

Yes.

I love when a conversation like this takes place and then a few posts later the original idea is proven.

..."It should also be noted that all of this research, while supporting the hypothesis that the rise in autism diagnoses is not due to a true increase in the incidence but rather is due to a broadening of the definition and increased surveillance, does not rule out a small genuine increase in the true incidence. A small real increase can be hiding in the data. There is no evidence upon which we can conclude, however, that true autism rates are increasing."

The Increase in Autism Diagnoses: Two Hypotheses

The definition has definitely broadened. By DSM II criteria (in effect in 1974, when I was in kindergarten), I was nowhere near being considered autistic. By the DSM IV, as a four-year old I exhibited:

(I)(A)1. marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction

(I)(A)2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level

(I)(A)4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity ( note: in the description, it gives the following as examples: not actively participating in simple social play or games, preferring solitary activities, or involving others in activities only as tools or "mechanical" aids )

(I)(B)2. in individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others

(I)(B)4. lack of varied, spontaneous make-believe play or social imitative play appropriate to developmental level

(I)©1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus

(II)(A) [Delays or abnormal functioning in] social interaction

So by today's standards, I would have been considered an autistic four year old.

The definition has definitely broadened. By DSM II criteria (in effect in 1974, when I was in kindergarten), I was nowhere near being considered autistic. By the DSM IV, as a four-year old I exhibited:

So by today's standards, I would have been considered an autistic four year old.

How many letter "T's" have been posted in this thread, Raymond?

:lol:

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

I like money.

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

lol, That still remains one of the funniest first 15 min of a film I've ever seen...

"I'm unna f**k ALL uuu bitches!!" -redneck high school football player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSROlfR7WTo

"IF" scenario...If your kids are immunized and mine are not. How are my kids going to give yours a disease? If that happens then the vaccine failed and therefore shouldn't have been marketed to the public in the first place.

Like I said i'm all for immunization if it's safe. I'm not saying all vaccines aren't, but some of them are not, yet they're pushed by the Government (who greatly profits from them).

Vaccines are not perfect, but that does not mean they are not worth it. A few still get infected when vaccinated. They are more likely to do so if exposed to people who are actually sick.

Babies too young to be vaccinated are also put at risk by fewer vaccinated people.

Are we approaching herd immunity thresholds in our country? If not, what is the big deal?

In some areas of the country, yes. About ten years ago affluent parts of San Diego had vaccination rates on par with third-world African countries...and comparable measles and mumps epidemics.