Best 2 round mock draft scenario i've seen.

I just don't see any desirable QBs being around when we use our second pick. Too many teams need QBs. Not saying we need to draft one with the third pick overall, but I would like to see us draft the best defensive player and then trade up in the first to grab one of the 2nd tier QBs (Newton or Gabbert would be best case in that scenario). Let Fitz play and continue to play unless he gives Gailey a reason to start our new QB.

4 QBs gone in the first 10 pics

Edited by beggar13

I just don't see any desirable QBs being around when we use our second pick. Too many teams need QBs. Not saying we need to draft one with the third pick overall, but I would like to see us draft the best defensive player and then trade up in the first to grab one of the 2nd tier QBs (Newton or Gabbert would be best case in that scenario). Let Fitz play and continue to play unless he gives Gailey a reason to start our new QB.

I agree, would love to get Gabbert in the second round. Check out these highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW69HWngSdk

I'd prefer Newton and I think after the National Championship many others will be in love with him too. I wouldn't mind this draft, but I really want Newton. A Newton and Heyward draft might be better IMO.

Newton and then Heyward would be the ideal top 2 picks for me.

I just don't see Heyward being there for us in Rd2 though.

Locker = garbage. He is not going in the first 3 round now matter what Todd McShay says.

He crumbles under pressure, and is only consistent at losing. (Then you hear, but the Washington team around him isn't very good. Then the question is why is Locker an exception to the other untalented players on that team.)

Plus Bleacher Report is the E Entertainment of an already questionable field of Sports Reporting.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I think Locker would be a reach at the top of the 2nd. I know that his team was bad around

him, but he failed to elevate them at all and he was flat out horrible in some games. In

two games against Nebraska (a regular season and a bowl game) he was a combined *get this*

9-36 1TD and 2INTs

That is just BAD.

Now, also let's put to rest his "great athleticism". Not that very many running QBs excel

in the NFL, but Locker wasn't a great runner either - at least he didn't put up great rushing

totals (except for a 110 yard game against a poor USC team).

Cam Newton doesn't excite me much at the 3rd pick. He had a decent completion percentage, but he

did most of his damage running - and that rarely translates to success in the NFL. I know that

Mike Vick has had a very good year and he is a "runner", but he miraculously learned to be a good

passer this year. Before Vick, the last really good "running" QB that I can remember having

success in the NFL was Steve Young.

Look at Vince Young. I am not saying that Newton will necessarily lack the leadership skills that

Young is missing (though we don't know), but Young was also a GREAT runner in college and NFL teams

have really stifled that.

I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 4th on Locker. I'd be ticked if we used a 2nd on him.

I just don't see any desirable QBs being around when we use our second pick.

Agreed and Agreed.

IF we are getting a QB this year, it should be a Blue Chip and will have to be at #3. If we dont pick a QB in the first, then we dont pick one at all. Unless Newton or Mallett slip to the 2nd round, but I doubt they last the top 15.

Locker is garbage. The next Losman. At best.

I agree, would love to get Gabbert in the second round. Check out these highlights.

youtube.com/watch?v=XW69HWngSdk

Uh, in the example mock, we passed up Fairley and Dareus for Gabbert. In Round 1.

I'll take Gabbert in Round 2, but I want me some D.

Newton and then Heyward would be the ideal top 2 picks for me.

I just don't see Heyward being there for us in Rd2 though.

couldnt agree anymore we have a high second we could probably trade back into the 1st with that and our first 4th round pick on the trade value chart its pretty even heywards projected around the 25-30 range I think hes a great fit for our d then again idk how bad we wanna give up a draft pick. I guess i didnt think about how bad i shouldve wanted seattle to lose in that game... damn

and ps gabbert has bust written all over him. great physical specimine but looks like a white jamarcus russel newton luck or bust if its not one of those 2 or mallett for great value i dont want them then we go all defense oline depth and wideout. I dont get how draft experts have him above mallet sure he throws for 300 yds a game but hes attempting 50-60 passes.. hes not nor should he be our guy

First, Newton is not a 2nd tier QB and will probably be gone in the top 10-15 if not earlier.

Second, last time we traded back into the first to get the first 2nd tier QB, it ended up being JP Losman.

If anything, we'd most likely have to do what the posters above suggested. Take a QB at #3, and then the best DL available when we trade back in.

QB at #3 or none at all!!

Edited by DrDankenstein

There are some serious reaches in that mock. I know that having a solid QB is important, but not so important as to pass up quality players at other positions, which we so desparately need.

couldnt agree anymore we have a high second we could probably trade back into the 1st with that and our first 4th round pick on the trade value chart its pretty even heywards projected around the 25-30 range I think hes a great fit for our d then again idk how bad we wanna give up a draft pick. I guess i didnt think about how bad i shouldve wanted seattle to lose in that game... damn

and ps gabbert has bust written all over him. great physical specimine but looks like a white jamarcus russel newton luck or bust if its not one of those 2 or mallett for great value i dont want them then we go all defense oline depth and wideout. I dont get how draft experts have him above mallet sure he throws for 300 yds a game but hes attempting 50-60 passes.. hes not nor should he be our guy

How is Gabbert the white jamarcus russel? I think that sounds more like Mallet. Mallet has the biggest arm in the draft although Gabbert isn't far behind but its Mallet who tries to throw the ball as hard as he can on every throw....that sounds like Jamarcus. Also Mallet is just as big as Jamarcus and just as slow while Gabbert can make plays with his feet and will run somewhere in the 4.5 range at the combine. Not to mention the thing that made Jamarcus Russell the player he was was the fact he had the intelligence of bag of rocks and the motivation of stoner. I've def changed my mind after this year but....Luck is by far the best QB in this draft but Blaine Gabbert is the clear cut number 2. Newton is a project, Mallet is Drew Bledsoe v2.0 and Locker is just garbage.

How is Gabbert the white jamarcus russel? I think that sounds more like Mallet. Mallet has the biggest arm in the draft although Gabbert isn't far behind but its Mallet who tries to throw the ball as hard as he can on every throw....that sounds like Jamarcus. Also Mallet is just as big as Jamarcus and just as slow while Gabbert can make plays with his feet and will run somewhere in the 4.5 range at the combine. Not to mention the thing that made Jamarcus Russell the player he was was the fact he had the intelligence of bag of rocks and the motivation of stoner. I've def changed my mind after this year but....Luck is by far the best QB in this draft but Blaine Gabbert is the clear cut number 2. Newton is a project, Mallet is Drew Bledsoe v2.0 and Locker is just garbage.

[/quote

Interesting that you mentioned Bledsoe. I am not saying Mallett at 3 but if he turned out to have career like Bledsoe would that be a bad thing. Number 3 dr aft picks come with some pretty high expectations. I threw Jimbo's numbers as a point of comparison, I would take Kelly over Bledsoe any day but the number are fairly similar.

New England Patriots (19932001)

Buffalo Bills (20022004)

Dallas Cowboys (20052006)

Career highlights and awards

4× Pro Bowl selection (1994, 1996, 1997, 2002)

Super Bowl champion (XXXVI)

Second-team All-America (1992)

1992 Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year

Other Accomplishments

Career NFL statistics as of 2006

TD-INT 251-206

Yards 44,611

QB Rating 77.1

College: University of Miami

NFL Draft: 1983 / Round: 1 / Pick: 14

Debuted in 1986 for the Buffalo Bills

Last played in 1996 for the Buffalo Bills

Career history

Houston Gamblers (USFL) (1984-1985)

Buffalo Bills (1986-1996)

Career highlights and awards

4× Pro Bowl selection (1987, 1990, 1991, 1992)

1× First-team All-Pro selection (1991)

2× Second-team All-Pro selection (1990, 1992)

2× USFL All-League Team (1984, 1985)

1984 USFL MVP

1984 USFL Rookie of the Year

1985 USFL Most Outstanding Quarterback

USFL All-Time Team

Bills Career Passing Yards Leader with 35,467

Buffalo Bills #12 Retired

84.4% QB Rating

Edited by agardin

Is Mallet Jamarcus 2.0 or Bledsoe 2.0? Big effing difference.

Honestly, Bledsoe in his prime was not a bad quarterback. Not a great one, but a good one.

I've not seen Gabbert enough, but is there no Mizzou homerism in this one? I mean that you've probably seen him and rooted for him too much to hold an objective opinion - not that he is not good, per se.

Doesn't it give eveyone pause to see that Locker is now being talked about as not even a tird round pick. he would have been in the discussion as first overall with Bradford had he come out last year. Brohm may have gone first overall and fell to the second round and probably out of the NFL. Is it hard to believe that Luck may be well lucky to be in a good system at Stanford against weak Pac10 defenses? I know everyone thinks the Bills need to take a shot at getting the franchise QB. But...

KC made the playoffs drafting defense and by signing a FA QB who didn't even play in college. The Jets are SB contenders with arguably the second worst QB in the playoffs.

I hope Denver passes on Peterson, we trade out of 3 to some team that wants him, pick up an extra second, and then go DE, LB, DT, followed by Locker in the top of the third round. Follow that up with a Center, one or two TE's(no slow white duses from the Big 12 please), and a couple more LB's.

Of course who knows maybe the Bills make a big splash in early off-season...Maybe they switch back to the 4-3 and trade for Haynesworth(a huge chunk of his crazy salary has already been paid by the Redskins) to rotate with Williams and Troup. Carrington and Edwards can play DE along with a rookie.

Doesn't it give eveyone pause to see that Locker is now being talked about as not even a tird round pick. he would have been in the discussion as first overall with Bradford had he come out last year. Brohm may have gone first overall and fell to the second round and probably out of the NFL. Is it hard to believe that Luck may be well lucky to be in a good system at Stanford against weak Pac10 defenses? I know everyone thinks the Bills need to take a shot at getting the franchise QB. But...

KC made the playoffs drafting defense and by signing a FA QB who didn't even play in college. The Jets are SB contenders with arguably the second worst QB in the playoffs.

I hope Denver passes on Peterson, we trade out of 3 to some team that wants him, pick up an extra second, and then go DE, LB, DT, followed by Locker in the top of the third round. Follow that up with a Center, one or two TE's(no slow white duses from the Big 12 please), and a couple more LB's.

Of course who knows maybe the Bills make a big splash in early off-season...Maybe they switch back to the 4-3 and trade for Haynesworth(a huge chunk of his crazy salary has already been paid by the Redskins) to rotate with Williams and Troup. Carrington and Edwards can play DE along with a rookie.

the truth is.

Locker was talked about by non football people as a 1st overall.

Football people gave him a 3rd round grade.

He went back to school to improve his draft status, he failed at that.

Why would the Bills want a player that decides to play for a portion of the game? You can keep Haynesworth.

Edited by Why So Serious?

youtube.com/watch?v=XW69HWngSdk

that is a brilliant release. the guy would have to learn a bunch, but i really like that throwing motion. better than mallet by plenty. no way that guy lasts to the 2nd round. looks a bit rivers-esque.

This mock draft hear is far more likely to happen than what other people believe. The simple situation is that so many team need a QB, lots of teams will reach. When people respond to me by saying no one will want to trade into the #3 spot to get a QB, I say you're crazy. Half the teams picking in the top 12 need a QB, including ourself. However, are QB is servicable and we have so many other hole that if we skipped the position and taded out to gather pick, it makes sense.

Teams will get depserate draft day for QB, the Bills are in a great position to move this pick.

I can live with this - I'm on board with Fairley, but it MUST be defense. I don't know if I'd go with Locker that early, but it's possible they may have to. There seem to be enough QBs out there that the Bills may feel the need to get one while they can.

That said, I'd rather live with Fitz for another year and go heavy on defense.

Is Mallet Jamarcus 2.0 or Bledsoe 2.0? Big effing difference.

Honestly, Bledsoe in his prime was not a bad quarterback. Not a great one, but a good one.

I've not seen Gabbert enough, but is there no Mizzou homerism in this one? I mean that you've probably seen him and rooted for him too much to hold an objective opinion - not that he is not good, per se.

I don't think Mallet is Jamarcus Russel, i don't think any of these QBs are I was just saying if you are going to compare anybody to him it would be Mallet and that's really only from a physical standpoint. Oh and I fully admit that their is homerism, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a good prospect and the second best one IMO. And Bledsoe wasn't a bad QB but I don't want to draft a QB at #3 who is going to turn out to be mediocre. In fact I don't even want to draft Gabbert or any QB, I want Nick Fairley! I was just saying that after Luck, I think he is the second best option at QB.

Edited by Stl Bills

I don't think Mallet is Jamarcus Russel, i don't think any of these QBs are I was just saying if you are going to compare anybody to him it would be Mallet and that's really only from a physical standpoint. Oh and I fully admit that their is homerism, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a good prospect and the second best one IMO. And Bledsoe wasn't a bad QB but I don't want to draft a QB at #3 who is going to turn out to be mediocre. In fact I don't even want to draft Gabbert or any QB, I want Nick Fairley! I was just saying that after Luck, I think he is the second best option at QB.

IMHO, I think people on this board who aren't familiar with him will see just how dominant Fairley is when Auburn plays Oregon in the national championship game. He's this year's version of Suh - disruptive and unblockable with just a single lineman. That said, I get the feeling that he might not get past Denver at pick #2 (they can't stop the run at all and need a d-lineman).

that is a brilliant release. the guy would have to learn a bunch, but i really like that throwing motion. better than mallet by plenty. no way that guy lasts to the 2nd round. looks a bit rivers-esque.

Brillilant release - agreed. My concern is that he seems to be playing exclusively in a spread. Will take a lot of work to develop him into a QB who can take the snap under center. It's not an easy transition.