Why is Gailey keeping Edwards?

PS 56

Doesn't it seem odd that the lack of talent on D became so much more pronounced AFTER Edwards took over?

:unsure:

The players that Fewell had were at least drafted for the defense he was running. Edwards was asked to run a 3-4 without the right personel. When they adjusted and used more 4-3 fronts they improved some, at least for a short stretch. The Bills were really hurting at LB this year. Other than Poz, none of the LBs that finished the season were starters in the first game.

That said, I think most would agree that Fewell did an outstanding job and that Edwards has a long way to go to get to Fewell's level as a DC.

I just don't see Chan dumping Edwards and I sure don't see Ralph paying for a big name DC.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense was just awful this year. Yes, Schobel was missing but our problems were deeper than that. Despite the poor showing Gailey is keeping Edwards as the Defensive coordinator. Why? :wallbash:

Because Ralph is CHEAP when it comes to paying coaches. No other possible explanation.

The players that Fewell had were at least drafted for the defense he was running. Edwards was asked to run a 3-4 without the right personel. When they adjusted and used more 4-3 fronts they improved some, at least for a short stretch. The Bills were really hurting at LB this year. Other than Poz, none of the LBs that finished the season were starters in the first game.

That said, I think most would agree that Fewell did an outstanding job and that Edwards has a long way to go to get to Fewell's level as a DC.

I just don't see Chan dumping Edwards and I sure don't see Ralph paying for a big name DC.

Right. I hope after drafting 2 players in top 3 last year, and probably the same this year, the D improves.

They did seem to improve for a short time after switching/adjusting to 4-3, not sure what happened after that.

IMO, Chan really messed up in the first place by:

1. Not hiring an actual O.C., and calling the plays himself, which compounds the following:

2. Bringing in an inexperienced selection for D.C.

3. Forcing the switch to a system no body could coach/play.

4. Not sticking with a D scheme.

1. Chans' offensive scheme/playcalling, along with Fitz's execution were the only thing that made this seasons games watchable.

2. Edwards was a pretty experienced coach, coaching a 3-4 defense for Miami.

3. The free agents brought in with the better 3-4 experience all happened to end up on IR. ((Edwards, Davis, Torbor)

4. They had to adapt to the injury situation, and what they thought the strengths of their personel on the field were.

Edited by marsadale

Who knows. Surely Gailey and Nix couldn't have liked how their defense played this year. The frustrating part, though, is not knowing what Nix and Gailey are thinking. Are they saying to themselves, "we knew we weren't going to be able to afford to get so and so, so we're going to have to bring in more players and hope he gets them more prepared this year." Or, are they saying, "Edwards didn't have the right players, but he had the right system in place, coached it properly, was prepared, was not out-coached - the problem is players - and we can fix that."

We want this Defense to be great (at least, I do). We don't want our coach to be saying or thinking, "we aren't going to be the best, but at least we should be average, or a little better". Wanting this team to be the best, we want to believe that Nix and Gailey thought about all the kinds of defenses, and the experienced coaches, and then decided, Edwards knows his stuff, and he is up and coming, and he'll be the best defensive coordinator this league has seen yet.

I think that is really the question here - do they believe he will be the best, and bring this unit to the top, or are they merely settling? Because, as much as talent is a factor, there were a lot of times this season when, during games, our guys looked out of place and caught totally off guard. If a coach is scheming right, and preparing the players right - shouldn't they look like they are doing everything right and they are just falling a little short because they aren't fast enough, or strong enough? But our guys looked totally off out there at times. As much as talent does have a factor in things, these guys are all still pro's, and they should, with the right coaching and scheme, be able to look better than they did this year.

I don't understand it - I hope if he's still our coordinator next year that the players looked more prepared, because we are going up against a real master coach in New England, and I'm sick of him looking two steps ahead of us every year. And the Jets aren't going to outsmart us - they're just going to run it down our throats until we can stop 'em.

I think talent trumps scheme. How much can you do with these slappers? John Fox is a great D coordinator, too, but he couldn't make his bunch play well. Let's get a legitimate NFL roster before we worry too much about the coordinators.

Yea, as a result of his mismanagement of our roster filled with Pro Bowl-caliber defensive players, Edwards MUST go.

If we don't have good coordinators/coaches how will we know when the Bills have a legitimate NFL team? This is a chicken/egg question I think. Shouldn't you hire good coaches/coordinators to get the most out of your roster while at the same time building up that roster?

Beerball is right.

Look, this defense was pretty decent last year. Yeah they lost Schobel, but come on---that is not a legitimate explanation for what happened to this defense.

It will take 50 years for this organization tot draft or otherwise assemble a highly talented defensive roster. Whereas they could quickly pick up a much better DC than Edwards.

This math is very easy to understand.

Anyway, Gailey won't fire Edwards because it would make him look really stupid--especially after he picked and subsequently fired the LAST Edwards on this team.

Our defense was just awful this year. Yes, Schobel was missing but our problems were deeper than that. Despite the poor showing Gailey is keeping Edwards as the Defensive coordinator. Why? :wallbash:

I'm not sure it's fair to throw him under the bus when the most obvious problem was talent, not scheme.

Let's think this out logically. Could it be lack of talent? If they build the D-Line and get some LBs and keep the secondary intact, and if they get the right personel in here for 3-4 D, then we'll know for sure. I totally believe right now it's due to the lack of talent and right players to run the 3-4 D. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on Edwards. Let's give the coaches some talent before we through them under the bus people...

Beerball is right.

Look, this defense was pretty decent last year. Yeah they lost Schobel, but come on---that is not a legitimate explanation for what happened to this defense.

It will take 50 years for this organization tot draft or otherwise assemble a highly talented defensive roster. Whereas they could quickly pick up a much better DC than Edwards.

This math is very easy to understand.

Anyway, Gailey won't fire Edwards because it would make him look really stupid--especially after he picked and subsequently fired the LAST Edwards on this team.

statistically the d was better under fewell, but it wasn't good. fewell had better personnel for his system and it had been in place for a couple years. but it wasn't good. it was probably never going to be great.

edwards didn't do anything to show he is a keeper. but the personnel was god awful. the secondary played much more man to man and was found wanting.

i'm not saying that i wouldn't rather have mike nolan or wade, but personnel (in relation to the D we're trying to run) is a problem. if we throw a few more real players in at LB and DE and it still isn't working, then it is clearly 'head of edwards' calling time. until then, i'm not sure and you shouldn't be either.

and i think there is no basis at all for saying gailey wouldn't make the move due to his pride.

Let's think this out logically. Could it be lack of talent? If they build the D-Line and get some LBs and keep the secondary intact, and if they get the right personel in here for 3-4 D, then we'll know for sure. I totally believe right now it's due to the lack of talent and right players to run the 3-4 D. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on Edwards. Let's give the coaches some talent before we through them under the bus people...

just read this. could have said +1. instead of reiterating.

statistically the d was better under fewell, but it wasn't good. fewell had better personnel for his system and it had been in place for a couple years. but it wasn't good. it was probably never going to be great.

edwards didn't do anything to show he is a keeper. but the personnel was god awful. the secondary played much more man to man and was found wanting.

i'm not saying that i wouldn't rather have mike nolan or wade, but personnel (in relation to the D we're trying to run) is a problem. if we throw a few more real players in at LB and DE and it still isn't working, then it is clearly 'head of edwards' calling time. until then, i'm not sure and you shouldn't be either.

and i think there is no basis at all for saying gailey wouldn't make the move due to his pride.

just read this. could have said +1. instead of reiterating.

I disagree. It was absolutely the wrong pick by Gailey to bring in Edwards.

This is how the Bills work. They bring in mediocre coach after coach. When they inevitably tank in a year or 2, some call for their heads, the rest say "just give them more time, better players.....etc.". Then after 3 years, they too are claiming the coach sucks and needs to go.

When Ralph finally admitting resigning DJ, he justified it by saying that coaching was not the Bills problem--it was the lack of quality players.

Now his mantra is being spoken by his disciples here.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Because we have no players on defense....could easily replace all the d-line man with the exception of Williams...all the line backers...one safety and no lock down corners. What do you expect without a pass rush or the players to do it. We do have some young promising players in Troup-Carrington-Byrd even McKelvin but the LB situation is among the worst in the league can't cover, can't rush the passer and aren't very good tacklers as well.

WTF? Schobel was "missing" 3 years ago already...

42.5 total his last 4 full seasons....yeah he stunk.

Doesn't it seem odd that the lack of talent on D became so much more pronounced AFTER Edwards took over?

:unsure:

No, it's not odd at all.

They had been (poorly) drafting and signing 4-3 players for years, but the 3-4 requires different types of manimals.

If Gailey keeps Edwards as his defensive coordinator, it will be his undoing. I hate the fact that Bills coaches don't make the necessary moves to improve the coaching staff. Edwards is over his head and has never had great results as a defensive coordinator. There are several bonafide experienced defensive coordinators that he could replace Edwards with, but he doesn't have the balls to do it. This reminds me a lot of when Wade Wilson would not fire his incompetent special teams coach which was Wade's undoing with the Bills several years ago.

I see the same thing happening here. The Bills basically have the same defense they had last year and with Edwards and they got significantly worse this year. I really miss Perry Fewell who is now up for a potential head coaching job.

If Gailey keeps Edwards as his defensive coordinator, it will be his undoing. I hate the fact that Bills coaches don't make the necessary moves to improve the coaching staff. Edwards is over his head and has never had great results as a defensive coordinator. There are several bonafide experienced defensive coordinators that he could replace Edwards with, but he doesn't have the balls to do it. This reminds me a lot of when Wade Wilson would not fire his incompetent special teams coach which was Wade's undoing with the Bills several years ago.

I see the same thing happening here. The Bills basically have the same defense they had last year and with Edwards and they got significantly worse this year. I really miss Perry Fewell who is now up for a potential head coaching job.

Wait and see. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

I thought the Bills D was the same, but careful study of the roster plus response to several posts I made showed me that actually is not true.

If you look up the word scapegoat in the dictionary George Edwards' face would be staring back at you. This guy has been demonized more than Satan himself around here. It's amazing to consider that the same people who rip the Bills for switching to the 3-4 without the proper personnel yet want Edwards canned. Not to mention the fact that he is a first year DC and might, gasp, get better with a year under his belt. Also this is not the same defense as Fewell's, he ran a Cover 2, Edwards runs a 3-4. Totally different. Was he good? No. Are you being overly dramatic? Yes.

And who did Wade Wilson coach?