9/11 First responders Bill

I havent seen this posted here so i apologize if it is. I was just watching the Dailey Show and Jon Stewert had some 9/11 first responders on the show and they were shown clips of republican senators explaining why they were blocking a bill to give these first responders health coverage. Essentially it boiled down to taxes and not working between christmas and new years. The only news network to give the attention this story deserves was a 22 min segment on Aljaserria (sp)

Now I dont consider myself to be very political but i love this country and everything it stands for. I would be the person going to ground zero, i would do whatever i could to help our nation and its citizens.it's just the right thing to do. But after watching that segment tonight I am absolutly ashamed of our lawmakers and the people we elect to represent us. Sometimes its not about doing whats best for your party but doing what is best for your citizens. I cannot believe what is happening in congress right now. I simply cant understand it. I'm not even mad, I'm just extremly disappointed. It just makes you question these "moral" men who have christan values and make sure everyone knows it in their campaign. I can not think of a better time for our elected officials, the people that the world sees as the United States Government, to do the RIGHT THING.

I'm just so disappointed. I hope I'm not alone here.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bill is not attached to any-other bill (Thus not having any-other political agenda attached to it) and they passed it in the House. This bill is being held up by just two votes in the Senate and watching the repeat of the Daily Show has me really pissed off. And to top this off the money is being paid for by closing a corporate tax loop hoole so the money is accounted for.

Its not a political issue just do the right thing. This issue just furthers my perception that you have to be a real low life piece of **** to want to get into politics.

This really pisses me off. You need to email/write your senator (especially if they happen to be a Republican in this case) and give them a piece of your mind. Its insane they would block such an important/no brainer piece of legislation all because of taxes. What pissed me off more was that Mike Huckabee didn't even really seem to know what was going on in regard to the bill, he didn't realize that it was no longer attached to another bill. He also was more concerned with telling why this is so personal to him and backing fox news than he was saying he would do something about it. This is infuriating.

AHHH...the republicans don't want to work between now and Christmas? Wow..nearly 10% of the friggin workforce is unemployed, we are scheduled for a huge tax increase in a few days if you don't get your "rich get richer" tax bill doesn't pass, American soldiers are being killed daily and you basxtards are mad you don't get home to bake your freakin cookies? Get to freakin work.

The Bill is not attached to any-other bill (Thus not having any-other political agenda attached to it) and they passed it in the House. This bill is being held up by just two votes in the Senate and watching the repeat of the Daily Show has me really pissed off. And to top this off the money is being paid for by closing a corporate tax loop hoole so the money is accounted for.

Its not a political issue just do the right thing. This issue just furthers my perception that you have to be a real low life piece of **** to want to get into politics.

I am actually planning to write to a senator this weekend. The only reason i havent yet is it is exam week for me. I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

I want to encourage everyone here to write in to the their representatives about this. Because this is downright wrong on every front if you ask me.

AHHH...the republicans don't want to work between now and Christmas? Wow..nearly 10% of the friggin workforce is unemployed, we are scheduled for a huge tax increase in a few days if you don't get your "rich get richer" tax bill doesn't pass, American soldiers are being killed daily and you basxtards are mad you don't get home to bake your freakin cookies? Get to freakin work.

Not to mention it doesn't take long to decide not to be an idiot and just get this bill passed, block everything else you want but get this passed already. I love how my Missouri senators don't even provide an email address, they just have a contact form to fill out. I filled it out but guarantee I won't hear anything until after Xmass.

A) Dont get ANY of your "politics" from the Daily Show.

B) Dont listen to the spin ANY news network is giving you on this issue.

C) If you think BOTH parties arent playing political games with this and any every other action that they are taking, youre not following rules A + B. BOTH sides of the aisle dont walk off the floor to take a piss without some kind of political motive behind it.

C) If you think BOTH parties arent playing political games with this and any every other action that they are taking, youre not following rules A + B. BOTH sides of the aisle dont walk off the floor to take a piss without some kind of political motive behind it.

I agree with you fully on all points. The reason i referenced the daily show was those clips with the first responders. It absolutly broke my heart

:doh:

This isn't even as much politics as it is merely just doing the right thing. Senate Republicans vowed to filibuster any legislation introduced in the Senate until a settlement is reached on the Bush tax cuts and federal funding. Even a bill that would provide necessary health care for 9/11 first responders who are fuggin DIEING from all the crap they inhaled at ground zero. I don't care what political afilitation you have, if you have a heart and a spine you can see what is wrong with that.

:doh:

This isn't even as much politics as it is merely just doing the right thing. Senate Republicans vowed to filibuster any legislation introduced in the Senate until a settlement is reached on the Bush tax cuts and federal funding. Even a bill that would provide necessary health care for 9/11 first responders who are fuggin DIEING from all the crap they inhaled at ground zero. I don't care what political afilitation you have, if you have a heart and a spine you can see what is wrong with that.

Its got nothing to do with "heart or spine." The Zadroga Bill....just like the tax cut bill...just like the appropriations bill....just like the DREAM ACT vote....just like the DADT vote.......just like the vote on the START treaty...were all delayed and pushed back to after the Election and to the very, very end of the congressional session just so that the Democrats currently running the show can cry "victim" and point to the "big bad Republicans" who "are saying NO!!! becuase they dont care about innocent poor people, 9/11 first responders, inncoent immigrant children, the gays, the poor cute animals, and Santa Claus."

Its a classic demonization tactic. Politics 101. And essentially they are playing you like a fiddle and youre falling for it.

The fact is, if it goes to the next session, the bill (or something very similar) will pass before the weather warms. its been almost ten years since 9/11. I dont think another month or two just to make sure all the 'i's are dotted and 't's crossed in this very crititcal bill is going to make a difference.

If it doesnt pass by March, you can call me out on it.

Edited by RkFast

Its got nothing to do with "heart or spine." The Zadroga Bill....just like the tax cut bill...just like the appropriations bill....just like the DREAM ACT vote....just like the DADT vote.......just like the vote on the START treaty...were all delayed and pushed back to after the Election and to the very, very end of the congressional session just so that the Democrats currently running the show can cry "victim" and point to the "big bad Republicans" who "are saying NO!!!" becuase they "dont care about innocent poor people, 9/11 first responders, inncoent immigrant children, the gays, the animals, and Santa Claus."

Its a classic demonization tactic. Politics 101. And essentially they are playing you like a fiddle and youre falling for it.

Push back or not...who cares? They have work to do and ought to get it done, Christmas or no Christmas.

Its got nothing to do with "heart or spine." The Zadroga Bill....just like the tax cut bill...just like the appropriations bill....just like the DREAM ACT vote....just like the DADT vote.......just like the vote on the START treaty...were all delayed and pushed back to after the Election and to the very, very end of the congressional session just so that the Democrats currently running the show can cry "victim" and point to the "big bad Republicans" who "are saying NO!!! becuase they dont care about innocent poor people, 9/11 first responders, inncoent immigrant children, the gays, the poor cute animals, and Santa Claus."

The fact is, if it goes to the next session, the bill (or something very similar) will pass before the weather warms. its been almost ten years since 9/11. I dont think another month or two just to make sure all the 'i's are dotted and 't's crossed in this very crititcal bill is going to make a difference.

If it doesnt pass by March, you can call me out on it.

With all due respect, are you not using talking points and media spin in your statements above? You're stating that Congress needs another month or two to make sure al lthe i's and t's are dotted. But, in fact, the Bill was first introduced on Feb. 4, 2009. It's undergone quite a bit of discussion and revision since that time. But, how much longer is needed to verify the contents the bill? This bill isn't being rushed to passage; it's been tossed around Congress for nearly 2 years.

There are certainly politics at play here - on both sides. I agree, nothing in Washington gets done without serious political undertones. However, this is a fairly straightforward Bill (as far as congressional bills go). Help first responders that are now sick and pay for it by closing a corporate tax loop hole.

You state it'll get passed in the next couple of months, so what's the rush. To that I pose 2 questions: How do you tell someone that's dieing now to wait 2 months for proper health care? What's going to change in the Bill in the next 2 months that makes it more palatable for passage?

Normally I don't like to blame one party over the other; but in this case, it's entirely the Republican party that's preventing this thing from coming to the floor. I think it reasonable they get the fair share of the blame for this one.

But, how much longer is needed to verify the contents the bill? This bill isn't being rushed to passage; it's been tossed around Congress for nearly 2 years.

FAIL on the last sentence of your post considering the Democrats had majorities in BOTH houses the past two years.

FAIL on the last sentence of your post considering the Democrats had majorities in BOTH houses the past two years.

And as the Democrats have shown time and time again, having the majority means little. For various reasons, the Republicans are able to obtain voting unison much more readily and frequently than the Democrats. So, if 1, 2, or 3 democrats don't vote on party lines; then their majority means little. And how many times over the last 2 years has their been 100% Democrat backing on a bill. Hence, this bill, like all the others, needs at least a couple of Republican votes. In this instance, they're getting none.

Majorities yes, but not a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, where the 111th Congress set a new records for filibusters - over 100 times and counting. Easy to say Democrats control both houses, but with the rules of procedure the minority has the power to bring things to a halt in the Senate when they want.

Edited by The Avenger

Its not really a political issue in my opinion. Wither its the Democrats or the Republicans it just comes down to get this thing passed and do the right thing. Its politics but does every single thing have to be some sort of bargaining chip?

ANSWER: YES.

And I say that with no joy.

Edited by RkFast

Holy crap. THIS coming from YOU???

Can anyone step away from their ranting for a second to let me know how many people are to be covered by this $7.4 billion dollar fund?

p.s. Jon Stewart must be so relieved to have the Republicans in charge of the House. I'm sure even he was starting to wear thin on Sarah Palin jokes.

http://thomas.loc.go...z?c111:H.R.847:

It closes a tax loophole on foreign owned corporations doing business in the US. Essentially evening the playing field a bit between them and US owned corporations. Probably the reason the Republicans are voting against the bill is because the Chamber of Commerce opposes it.

Thanks, but that didn't really answer my question (and much like a member of Congress, I really don't want to read the whole bill). Let's have another bill to debate taxes on foreign corporations. I was just wondering where the proposed $7.4 billion was going, if in fact that number actually means anything.

As long as the media itself keeps doing stupid stuff, The Daily Show will never run out of material.

Especially since the Daily Show has become just another stupid media outlet.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.847:

It closes a tax loophole on foreign owned corporations doing business in the US. Essentially evening the playing field a bit between them and US owned corporations. Probably the reason the Republicans are voting against the bill is because the Chamber of Commerce opposes it.

As long as the media itself keeps doing stupid stuff, The Daily Show will never run out of material.

Tax loophole? What the !@#$ are you talking about now, monkey? There's no tax loophole closed in that bill.

Good Lord, what a stupid bill. Get this, the guy building the "Ground Zero Mosque" is eligible for coverage under the provisions of this bill. :lol:

Sry, I could not find any articles on it, I gave you the best I had.

So in other words, you are upset about Republicans blocking a bill despite having no idea what the bill is really about, other than some vague "9-11 First Responders" reference?

So in other words, you are upset about Republicans blocking a bill despite having no idea what the bill is really about, other than some vague "9-11 First Responders" reference?

Yes, basically it is the same logic that he and PBills apply to making their arguments. They see that their political masters and pundits criticize something from across the aisle, they don't consider the other sides argument but rather the spin from their masters, and then accept it as fact without thinking it through.

This is what we call a textbook case of being a "lemming".

Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act

what we're left with is a debate about a funding mechanism. The way the bill is currently shaped, Democrats pay for the health costs for 9/11 heroes by closing tax loopholes for foreign businesses that do business in the United States. This has drawn the ire of Republicans and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which has demanded the loopholes remain in place.

Collins, in effect, has told Gillibrand and other Dems that the bill can pass if they pay for it some other way, and yesterday, talks for an alternative funding mechanism appeared to be progressing. Details are a little sketchy, but the new plan would apparently include new visa fees and a 2% fee on some procurement contracts.

link

some Shep Smith outrage

more extensive Shep on huffpo

ShepHuffpo

Yes, basically it is the same logic that he and PBills apply to making their arguments. They see that their political masters and pundits criticize something from across the aisle, they don't consider the other sides argument but rather the spin from their masters, and then accept it as fact without thinking it through.

This is what we call a textbook case of being a "lemming".

really douche bag... are you for blocking this bill?

Oh by the way, there was no DNC statement or talking point sent out for me to call you a douche bag.. did that all on my own.

Edited by pBills

really douche bag... are you for blocking this bill?

Oh by the way, there was no DNC statement or talking point sent out for me to call you a douche bag.. did that all on my own.

I don't know enough about this bill to have an informed opinion, lemming.

Tax loophole? What the !@#$ are you talking about now, monkey? There's no tax loophole closed in that bill.

Good Lord, what a stupid bill. Get this, the guy building the "Ground Zero Mosque" is eligible for coverage under the provisions of this bill. :lol:

From a cost summary:

"Under current law, certain payments (principally dividends, interest, and royalties) made by US-based entities to a parent company based overseas are subject to a 30 percent withholding tax. That requirement customarily is reduced or eliminated when the payment is made to a country with which the US has a tax treaty. Companies with parents based in tax haven countries are able to effectively bypass the withholding tax by routing payments through an affiliate in a tax treaty country, which then transfers the funds to the parent company. The provision would limit this practice by retaining the withholding tax on certain deductible payments (principally interest and royalties) to a foreign-based affiliate unless the tax would be reduced under a treaty if the payment were made directly to the company’s parent corporation." full text

What am I missing?

"The WTC program (as created by the bill) will provide: (1) medical monitoring and treatment benefits to eligible emergency responders and recovery and cleanup workers who responded to the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, and (2) initial health evaluation, monitoring, and treatment benefits to residents and other building occupants and area workers who were directly impacted and adversely affected by such attacks." (again, from the summary)

I don't know much about the guy building the Ground Zero Mosque, but I'd assume he can prove that he was directly and adversely impacted by the attack (as defined in the bill). If so, yes, he should be eligible for coverage.

From a cost summary:

"Under current law, certain payments (principally dividends, interest, and royalties) made by US-based entities to a parent company based overseas are subject to a 30 percent withholding tax. That requirement customarily is reduced or eliminated when the payment is made to a country with which the US has a tax treaty. Companies with parents based in tax haven countries are able to effectively bypass the withholding tax by routing payments through an affiliate in a tax treaty country, which then transfers the funds to the parent company. The provision would limit this practice by retaining the withholding tax on certain deductible payments (principally interest and royalties) to a foreign-based affiliate unless the tax would be reduced under a treaty if the payment were made directly to the company’s parent corporation." full text

What am I missing?

"The WTC program (as created by the bill) will provide: (1) medical monitoring and treatment benefits to eligible emergency responders and recovery and cleanup workers who responded to the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, and (2) initial health evaluation, monitoring, and treatment benefits to residents and other building occupants and area workers who were directly impacted and adversely affected by such attacks." (again, from the summary)

I don't know much about the guy building the Ground Zero Mosque, but I'd assume he can prove that he was directly and adversely impacted by the attack (as defined in the bill). If so, yes, he should be eligible for coverage.

Much needed and deserved.