9/11 First responders Bill

To some extent your post is a very strong argument against the compensation fund. To hear the critics tell it, it's as if people were just thrown into the steaming toxic cauldron without any precaution taken by the officials. But for anyone who was actually on site knows that that wasn't the case.

As for long lasting effects, nobody knows what they are at this time. But if you believe in the theory that real effects manifest themselves from anecdotal evidence, I can tell you that in the 9+ years since I've worked in the immediate area of the hole, knowing the hundreds of people who were among those running for their lives including a 5-month pregnant woman, me being back at work on the first day that civilians were allowed back downtown - I do not know of a single person who has exhibited any respiratory or other ailments that can be attributed to the attack. I'm not saying that everyone is in the clear, but you would figure if there was evidence, you would definitely see some kind of a pattern among downtown workers & residents emerge within 9 years to start questioning the environment of the area during and after the collapse.

But I am fairly certain that once the fund is available, then symptoms will miraculously appear for the general population.

I could very much agree with both of those statements.

To think that firefighters, who are issued full face respirators as part of their gear and trained to use them and use them routinely in their job, would not use PPE and have respiratory problems seems nonsensical. All I can say from being there is that the stress and unique circumstances of working on the pile were unlike what most people experience in normal circumstances; therefore, I can live with some measure of "understanding". So, I don't completely disagree with the compensation fund either.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When do the millions of innocent victims of Chromium-6 poisoning get compensated?

I'm sure I have symptoms. I just don't know what they are yet, but I've got 'em.

"At least 74 million Americans in 42 states drink chromium-polluted tap water, much of it likely in the form of cancer-causing hexavalent chromium," the Environmental Working Group says in its report. "Given the scope of exposure and the magnitude of the potential risk, the EPA should move expeditiously to establish a legal limit for the chemical in tap water and require water utilities to test for it."

When do the millions of innocent victims of Chromium-6 poisoning get compensated?

I'm sure I have symptoms. I just don't know what they are yet, but I've got 'em.

"At least 74 million Americans in 42 states drink chromium-polluted tap water, much of it likely in the form of cancer-causing hexavalent chromium," the Environmental Working Group says in its report. "Given the scope of exposure and the magnitude of the potential risk, the EPA should move expeditiously to establish a legal limit for the chemical in tap water and require water utilities to test for it."

Chromium diluted in drinking water? That's called "homeopathic medicine".

But...but...but...but...Kevin Trudeau told me that I can buy these pads that go in my shoes and it will soak out all of these toxins, so I am not worried. The Gov should pay that guy to come up with the solutions and buy those little pads!

... and about that "tax loophole" The reason the loophole exists in the first place is that the tax on foreign companies is punitive, so legislature agreed to a workaround that basically equalizes taxes that multinationals pay across the world. If US raises its tax rates on foreign companies, that simply raises their cost of doing business in the US. They can respond in two ways, accept lower profits or reduce their US-based operations.

Another win for the progressives who can't do basic math.

You're going to have to dumb that down a little further. That means JOB LOSS.

This "bill" and the surrounding hoopla are the absolute example of everything that is wrong with American politics.

Soldier on, liberal morons.

You're going to have to dumb that down a little further. That means JOB LOSS.

This "bill" and the surrounding hoopla are the absolute example of everything that is wrong with American politics.

Soldier on, liberal morons.

Well, that would have to be more bad on Bush then. 911 happened on Bush's watch. This is more fallout from that.

Everyone knows that jobs have only been saved or created during President BO's reign.

So, yes, perhaps just the first responders working the pile get all the attention. But, there's no doubt every resident and visitor in lower Manhattan on that morning suffered and quite possibly have long term health affects. Is it good to help all of them with their medical bills? I don't know the answer. But, I have no problem with trying. Again, will there be individuals trying to abuse this and gain unfairly from it - yes. But that, IMO, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to help the many, many people that have legitimate problems and need assistance.

I don't think anyone has argued against providing some benefit for those people who were working on the recovery at the site. But the question remains, how exactly are we proposing to spend $7.4 billion? That used to be kind of a big number before Obama started tossing ten-figure logs on every fire in sight.