The most annoying Christmas song is....

Just Jack

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulgaria has spoken: 'Last Christmas' is the most annoying Christmas song ever

SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) — Bulgarians have named Wham's "Last Christmas" the most annoying Christmas song ever. An advertising agency says nearly 19 percent of the 28,110 votes cast in an online poll named the song.

I agree.

Haha, that song is pretty bad. The good? Does it really get any better than "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"? Come on -- classic!

A couple other tidbits that I didn't realize until recently:

-- "Jingle Bells" isn't a Christmas song, it's likely a Thanksgiving song. Weird.

-- Also, "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow" never mentions any holiday. It could have been written about a March snow storm. Also weird.

SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) — Bulgarians have named Wham's "Last Christmas" the most annoying Christmas song ever. An advertising agency says nearly 19 percent of the 28,110 votes cast in an online poll named the song.

I agree.

Well that's certainly very annoying - there are lots of really annoying X-mas tunes, but I think the most annoying ever must be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dnrosVyamY

Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas" has got to be up there as one of the worst ever...awful song...Pauly should be ashamed of himself...but props to Bulgaria for recognizing a turd when they hear it!

Edited by Buftex

Disagree. The Chrsitmas Shoes is the worst and most annoying Christmas song, and possibly any song, of all time. When I hear that song I seriously want to hurt myself or others.

Is anything more hokey, cliche, sugar sweet, formulaic and an example of bad songwriting than that? It's the musical equivilent of a paint by numbers painting or those tacky big-eyed cherub children figurines you might find advertised in the Sunday grocery coupons........

Disagree. The Chrsitmas Shoes is the worst and most annoying Christmas song, and possibly any song, of all time. When I hear that song I seriously want to hurt myself or others.

Is anything more hokey, cliche, sugar sweet, formulaic and an example of bad songwriting than that? It's the musical equivilent of a paint by numbers painting or those tacky big-eyed cherub children figurines you might find advertised in the Sunday grocery coupons........

+1

I agree.

I think the Mariah Carey song about the Christmas "Chree"[tree] may be the most irritating, but when I read the title of the thread Last Christmas instantly popped into my head.

Yeah, another vote for Wham.

And not to hijack, but I had an interesting conversation with my wife last week about Christmas songs (actually, only one of us thought it was interesting I think). My point was that Christmas music (excluding religious hymn-types) is an interesting genre because it is comprised of mainly a static group of songs that get played every year. It is very difficult for "new" Christmas songs to break into the rotation of classics. Every tacky Walmart Christmas Collection CD seems to pick from the same 20-30 songs. And I might be exaggerating a little, but it seems like every one of those songs was written between 1930 and 1960.

I'm no music expert, but maybe the advent of Rock & Roll caused this. Maybe Christmas music just meshes better with the Mel Tormes and Bing Crosbys of the world. It's just strange that, for a long time (1930s-40s) new Christmas songs were being written every year and they have stuck around for decades. But I could count one on hand the number of original Christmas songs written in the past quarter century that have managed to elbow their way into the rotation. Weird.

(By the way, if you made it to this sentence, that's about 150 words more than my wife did before she unpaused Oprah and wondered why she married me).

Yeah, another vote for Wham.

And not to hijack, but I had an interesting conversation with my wife last week about Christmas songs (actually, only one of us thought it was interesting I think). My point was that Christmas music (excluding religious hymn-types) is an interesting genre because it is comprised of mainly a static group of songs that get played every year. It is very difficult for "new" Christmas songs to break into the rotation of classics. Every tacky Walmart Christmas Collection CD seems to pick from the same 20-30 songs. And I might be exaggerating a little, but it seems like every one of those songs was written between 1930 and 1960.

I'm no music expert, but maybe the advent of Rock & Roll caused this. Maybe Christmas music just meshes better with the Mel Tormes and Bing Crosbys of the world. It's just strange that, for a long time (1930s-40s) new Christmas songs were being written every year and they have stuck around for decades. But I could count one on hand the number of original Christmas songs written in the past quarter century that have managed to elbow their way into the rotation. Weird.

(By the way, if you made it to this sentence, that's about 150 words more than my wife did before she unpaused Oprah and wondered why she married me).

Interesting point. My theory is that everybody wants tradition and nostalgia at Christmas - they want to think back to an idyllic Christamas past whether or not it ever existed. So that means really old traditional carols a la Dickinsian times in London (God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, etc.) or the halcyon days of Bing Crosby (White Christmas - in the 50's it was contemporary).

50 years from now some of our contemporary songs may be considered classics, although I have a really hard time thinking my grandkids are going to fondly sing anything by Band Aid pondering whether starving children in Africa give a rat's a$$ about a comercialized Christian holiday in America......

I hate that damn song.

I agree.

Yet it's the most downloaded Christmas song ever. :ph34r:

Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas" has got to be up there as one of the worst ever...awful song...Pauly should be ashamed of himself...but props to Bulgaria for recognizing a turd when they hear it!

+1

I want to punch my radio when it comes on. It's just "Simply having a wonderful Christmastime" repeated about 220 times. WTF?

Like somebody mentioned above, the words Last Christmas popped in my head when I saw the title.........But, I have my mind so blurred on bad Christmas songs that I thought that that was the McCartney one. You guys mentioned a lot of horrible songs. Another one is that Elton one, whatever that is.

I was driving the other night and wanted to hear Christmas songs, so I put on 102 and 96, and the hit rate for me was about 20%. I had to just turn it to the Lake, where I know I'm going to like at least 75% of the songs, even if they aren't the Christmas songs I wanted.

It's horrible. And I think Paul is beyond shame, these days.

Well that's certainly very annoying - there are lots of really annoying X-mas tunes, but I think the most annoying ever must be...

youtube.com/watch?v=2dnrosVyamY

NOPE...try "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"...I think it is by Ray Stevens.