The most annoying Christmas song is....

Just Jack

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could find a way to download/link an incredible Christmas tune by The Three Bings...song is called "We Three Bings". It is a spot on parity of Bing Crosby, imitating Jim Morrison, to the tune of We Three Kings, as played by the Doors. It is brilliant. It is on a Christmas comp, now very hard to find, called "Blame It On Christmas Vol. 1" This is a great Christmas comp, of all kinds of eclectica Christmas music. Pick it up, if you are into that kind of thing, it is terrific!

You can hear the first 29 seconds, on this Amazon listing (it is track #15)...not the best part of the song, the intro, but I promise you, if you hear the whole thing, you will be amazed... "Swingin' Manger" is pretty cool too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0000012S8/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_015?ie=UTF8&track=015&disc=001

Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas" has got to be up there as one of the worst ever...awful song...Pauly should be ashamed of himself...but props to Bulgaria for recognizing a turd when they hear it!

I hate "Wonderful Christmas Time" (Paul McCartney), "Hey Santa" (Wilson-Phillips) and "Blue Christmas" (Elvis)

I just got back from a Christmas concert and they sang "Hip Hop Reindeer".

Dunno that song, but it sounds pretty bad.

Interestingly enough, there is a new hip-hop Christmas song used for a current Target ad that is fairly amusing. It is Toy Jackpot by the fabulously named Blackalicious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSyWYD8a-kk

I hate "Wonderful Christmas Time" (Paul McCartney), "Hey Santa" (Wilson-Phillips) and "Blue Christmas" (Elvis)

Agree on all three. Blue Christmas is one I forgot. Doesn't he also sing that horrible Here Comes Santa Claus?

I'll turn the dial on the Beach Boys and the Eagles ones, too, but they are not as bad as these three.

The program I work for re-aired a segment that has relevance to what bart-shan said yesterday, talking about the golden era of holiday tunes, and how they all seem to come from this specific, pre-rock time period:

http://www.wbez.org/episode-segments/tribute-william-studwell-christmas-carol-historian

Just thought I'd share.

Yeah, another vote for Wham.

And not to hijack, but I had an interesting conversation with my wife last week about Christmas songs (actually, only one of us thought it was interesting I think). My point was that Christmas music (excluding religious hymn-types) is an interesting genre because it is comprised of mainly a static group of songs that get played every year. It is very difficult for "new" Christmas songs to break into the rotation of classics. Every tacky Walmart Christmas Collection CD seems to pick from the same 20-30 songs. And I might be exaggerating a little, but it seems like every one of those songs was written between 1930 and 1960.

I'm no music expert, but maybe the advent of Rock & Roll caused this. Maybe Christmas music just meshes better with the Mel Tormes and Bing Crosbys of the world. It's just strange that, for a long time (1930s-40s) new Christmas songs were being written every year and they have stuck around for decades. But I could count one on hand the number of original Christmas songs written in the past quarter century that have managed to elbow their way into the rotation. Weird.

(By the way, if you made it to this sentence, that's about 150 words more than my wife did before she unpaused Oprah and wondered why she married me).

Yeah, another vote for Wham.

And not to hijack, but I had an interesting conversation with my wife last week about Christmas songs (actually, only one of us thought it was interesting I think). My point was that Christmas music (excluding religious hymn-types) is an interesting genre because it is comprised of mainly a static group of songs that get played every year. It is very difficult for "new" Christmas songs to break into the rotation of classics. Every tacky Walmart Christmas Collection CD seems to pick from the same 20-30 songs. And I might be exaggerating a little, but it seems like every one of those songs was written between 1930 and 1960.

I'm no music expert, but maybe the advent of Rock & Roll caused this. Maybe Christmas music just meshes better with the Mel Tormes and Bing Crosbys of the world. It's just strange that, for a long time (1930s-40s) new Christmas songs were being written every year and they have stuck around for decades. But I could count one on hand the number of original Christmas songs written in the past quarter century that have managed to elbow their way into the rotation. Weird.

(By the way, if you made it to this sentence, that's about 150 words more than my wife did before she unpaused Oprah and wondered why she married me).

This is such a great post. The way you bookended it with the thoughts of your wife is hilarious!

From the rock era: From the past decade, the only song that is now considered a Christmas song that I really love is the Goo Goo Dolls' Better Days.

From the past 30 years, the only two that I can think of that are original that I love are Do they Know It's Christmas by Band Aid, and Christmas is the Time to say I Love You by Billy Squier.

And, maybe the only other rock one that I love ever is Run Rudolph Run by Chuck Berry, covered by Keef and many others.

However, there are a lot of reworkings of old songs into rock versions that I love: The whole Phil Spector Christmas Album (highlighted by the Ronette's Sleigh Ride), Bruce, Mellencamp's I saw Santa, Moody Blues What Child is This, and I could go on and on.

And almost anything TSO has done is great. Which is a combo of original and reworking of classics.

And one song that puts all of it together - old song, new lyrics, old crooner, rocker is Little Drummer Boy with Bing and Bowie. Love that!

Is there any good christmas song that isn't at least 40-50 years old? I'm just estimating with that number, but every song coming to mind right now that I like is very old. I tend to like the religious ones a bit more, so that could easily be influencing this observation.

Is there any good christmas song that isn't at least 40-50 years old? I'm just estimating with that number, but every song coming to mind right now that I like is very old. I tend to like the religious ones a bit more, so that could easily be influencing this observation.

Yes, see the post above yours. :rolleyes:

Yes, see the post above yours. :rolleyes:

Oops, missed the 3rd page before posting. Anyway, I think those posts pretty much back up what I was thinking. Most of the more recent stuff that you mentioned seemed to all be covers/re-workings of those original classics. I've heard plenty of them, but at the end of the day, pretty much everyone is still going to associate those songs with the original versions.

Oops, missed the 3rd page before posting. Anyway, I think those posts pretty much back up what I was thinking. Most of the more recent stuff that you mentioned seemed to all be covers/re-workings of those original classics. I've heard plenty of them, but at the end of the day, pretty much everyone is still going to associate those songs with the original versions.

Yup, I agree. Except for TSO, which is a mix, I think I can count on one hand songs that I consider very good to great that were written in the last 55 years........And, I do like the religious ones more myself, too. I have been looking for years for a straight up version of Silent Night, like you would hear at Midnight Mass, and have yet to find it. They all do their own twist on that. And, oddly, O Holy Night, they almost always do straight up. I can find 1000 great versions of that.

Here is one my buddy, Bruce wrote, performing it live, with his wife, Kelly. Great lyric...live performance, sorry not the best audio...a song about spending Christmas with your spouces' christian family..."Oklahoma Christmas"

:P