A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) I can't put it into words, but there is something I like about George Edwards as the Bills DC. Sounds weird, no? I guess I respect the fact that he has been able to somehow keep games close with so little talent.

2) It is time to say thank you and goodbye to Rian Lindell. If not now, certainly before next season begins.

3) I am actually impressed by the Bills receiving corps. Seriously impressed.

4) Fitz is worthy of pages of discussion; I really am impressed by him. The accuracy issues will always linger, and this is really what seperates him from a Tom Brady. Think about it.....they are both smart and neither has a "great" arm. I guess my overall feeling is that if it was OK to draft Spiller when we were completely OK at running back, it's more than OK to draft Ryan Mallett if he is there when we select.

5) George Wilson stepped up and actually took control of this football game. He made key tackles and a beautiful pick. Kudos to him for a great performance!!!

6) It's been a while since I have seen someone improve as much as Stevie Johnson. He was dropping passes galore and has morphed into a perfect compliment to Evans. In the credit where it's due department, he was an absolutely great draft selection.

7) I respect those who were hoping for the #1 pick, but it really feels great when the Bills win a football game. I mean.....why are we here?

8) For those who want to ditch Hangartner and put Wood at OC, please allow me to float out the possibility that Hangartner might be the better player of the 2.

9) GREAT to see Troup and Carrington get some time. Imagine if they can improve at 1/2 the rate of Stevie Johnson? :)

10) Sorry if this sounds pompous, but if anyone really thinks that Jauron is even fractionally as good as Gailey (w/l record notwithstanding), you really need to brush up on football.

11) Congrats to Bills Fans, the greatest fans of any team in any sport!!!

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

1) I can't put it into words, but there is something I like about George Edwards as the Bills DC. Sounds weird, no? I guess I respect the fact that he has been able to somehow keep games close with so little talent.

2) It is time to say thank you and goodbye to Rian Lindell. If not now, certainly before next season begins.

4) Fitz is worthy of pages of discussion; I really am impressed by him. The accuracy issues will always linger, and this is really what seperates him from a Tom Brady. Think about it.....they are both smart and neither has a "great" arm. I guess my overall feeling is that if it was OK to draft Spiller when we were completely OK at running back, it's more than OK to draft Ryan Mallett if he is there when we select.

5) George Wilson stepped up and actually took control of this football game. He made key tackles and a beautiful pick. Kudos to him for a great performance!!!

6) It's been a while since I have seen someone improve as much as Stevie Johnson. He was dropping passes galore and has morphed into a perfect compliment to Evans. In the credit where it's due department, he was an absolutely great draft selection.

7) I respect those who were hoping for the #1 pick, but it really feels great when the Bills win a football game. I mean.....why are we here?

8) For those who want to ditch Hangartner and put Wood at OC, please allow me to float out the possibility that Hangartner might be the better player of the 2.

9) GREAT to see Troup and Carrington get some time. Imagine if they can improve at 1/2 the rate of Stevie Johnson? :)

10) Sorry if this sounds pompous, but if anyone really thinks that Jauron is even fractionally as good as Gailey (w/l record notwithstanding), you really need to brush up on football.

Without a doubt the defense has improved. They seem to be playing a four linemen alignment a good bit and that plays more to the strength of the current players we have.

In regards to Lindell, no doubt he has struggled recently, but way too early to reasonably say his days are numbered.

The WR corps may be our strongest positional unit on the team. Evans, Johnson, Nelson, Parrish, Jones and Easley. Easley was having the best camp out of all the rooks, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him turnout into a gamer. I think it is safe to say Parrish has already played his last day as a Bill. I'm excited about this group.

Fitz has been the heart and soul of this team. The team and the fans are all behind him and I don't believe he has hit his ceiling yet. I believe this is his first full year as a starter, certainly his first behind this offensive system and hopefully he can improve on his consistency in regards to his accuracy. Oh and he is one resilient person, I thought he was dead in the water after the second pick and he still continued to fire the ball in there. Great stuff.

I saw something in Stevie Johnson his rookie year. He was a playmaker with Kentucky, he was a playmaker in preseason in his rookie year, and when thrust into the NFL at the end of his rookie year he somehow found a way to catch TD's. The fact that Jauron didn't play him at all last year doesn't speak to Johnson's ability but more so of Jauron's ineptitude. He drops a few passes, but in my view the criticism he was receiving for dropping those passes was way overblown. All he does is catch TD's. He is the #1 WR of this team. IF the Bills were smart (hmmm) they would lock him up RIGHT NOW, before they end up paying him more than what they are willing to pay.

In regards to Hangartner, no way no how will I say he is better than Woods (and yes I know he whiffed on that sack) but Hangartner is a keeper. The only area I believe we need to address on the line is RT.

And yes, it was nice to see Troup and Carrington out there. I was surprised to see how big Carrington looked out there.

Marv Levy's stint as a GM or whatever you want to call his role was a disaster. He was the person who advocated for the hiring of Jauron. Not only was he not very good as a HC but the thought of giving him more authority in personnel and drafting decisions set back this franchise by years. The Maybin pick, when there were so many other appealing prospects, was beyond being bewildering.

The shame of the owner's turn to a familiar face to help with the franchise after the Donahoe era is that if he would have picked the right GM at that point this franchise would be so much more advanced instead of being in the intial stage of a rebuild.

Marv Levy's stint as a GM or whatever you want to call his role was a disaster. He was the person who advocated for the hiring of Jauron. Not only was he not very good as a HC but the thought of giving him more authority in personnel and drafting decisions set back this franchise by years. The Maybin pick, when there were so many other appealing prospects, was beyond being bewildering.

The shame of the owner's turn to a familiar face to help with the franchise after the Donahoe era is that if he would have picked the right GM at that point this franchise would be so much more advanced instead of being in the intial stage of a rebuild.

I couldn't agree more.

This team turned the instant Fitz took over. The offense completely believes in him. You won't get that from any rookie. While he has his inaccurate moments, he has excellent arm strength. The WRs...not sure if they are that good...but Fitz sure makes them look good.

Fitz even does the impossible in making the line look good. He helps with their assignments at the LOS (like all the great QBs do). He helps by getting the ball out fast. And he helps by staying in the pocket for the most part (which gives the O-line confidence that they know where he is).

On Lindell, that was his first miss under 40 yards in 31 straight tries. The PAT last week was maybe a touch of a low kick but it was blocked. They don't need to start searching for a kicker just yet. And it's not like he's shanking gimmes. That was a gusty day at times yesterday and he missed one kick. BFD.

And yes, it was nice to see Troup and Carrington out there. I was surprised to see how big Carrington looked out there.

I agree. I did a double take to make sure I saw the correct number when I saw him standing there.

Let's hope he gets a bunch more playing time the rest of the year. If that happens, it is safe to say that the coaches feel he has earned it.

Edited by webtoe

Bill I always enjoy your post game posts. I am not so sure that we should be ready to give up on Lindell.Perhaps he is in a mini-slump but the guy has been money in the bank until recently. Good Kickers are not a dime a dozen.

Agree on Troupe and Carrington. I don't think the Bills need to "throw" the rest of their season but they do need younger guys to learn and step up.

What about Maybin? I guess he gets one more off-season to prove himself but it seems as though it will be hard for him to miss the distinction of total bust. Sad to think that the guy may be cut next year without really playing in any meaningful way at all - Even though Mike Williams is arguably the biggest bust in Bills history - he played.

You don't give up on kickers too quickly. They go through slumps like any athlete. Besides you won't find anyone better right now. Lindell has been one of the best Bills kickers. If this season has taught us anything is to show a little patience.

PTR

While he has his inaccurate moments, he has excellent arm strength.

With all of the respect on earth, I am going to strongly disagree with the bolded.

Fitz has a good enough arm to make most throws. He also has the coordination to adjust his body and step into passes that he needs to really air out. I am NOT complaining about Fitz's arm, but to characterize it as "excellent" is very far from true....again, imo.

When I think of "excellent" arm strngth, names such as Marino, Bledsoe, Bert Jones, and Elway come to mind. Perhaps we are speaking on different terms. ;)

Btw, I don't think for a second that a qb needs a hall of fame arm to be good, or even great.

1. I am not convinced yet about Edwards adequacy as a DC. Yesterday's performance of the D was good but then again I will like it tested against a more consistent O than the Bengals'. In the vein of constantly looking to upgrade talent, will the FO be willing to dump Edwards if Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis or John Fox become available ?

2. Too early to get rid of him. Maybe he is sliding but he is so far proven himself in the Ralph and also in clutch situations. Lets give him the rest of the season esp now that the weather is turning.

3. Agree. Except for Evans, the entire crop is a bunch of 'nobodys' (shudder). Talk about maximizing talent !!

4. Agree. Fitzy has brought excitement back to the O. Granted Gailey may have a lot to do with the O success but the players are doing well. Having said that, if a stud QB is available in the next draft we take him. The pressure to start him soon will be off and he can learn in the next 1-2 years behind Fitzy. But the strategy for the next draft becomes a bit simpler as the pressure to take a QB is reduced and we can go BPA (as long as we don't carry it too far)

12. Always

1. I am not convinced yet about Edwards adequacy as a DC. Yesterday's performance of the D was good but then again I will like it tested against a more consistent O than the Bengals'. In the vein of constantly looking to upgrade talent, will the FO be willing to dump Edwards if Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis or John Fox become available ?

For what it's worth, Mark Kelso said before the game that he thought the defense was finally starting to "get it" when it comes to the 3-4. It didn't appear that way in the first half, but it sounded like they were at least getting some pressure on Palmer. If this defense keeps improving over the rest of the season, I'd see no reason to replace Edwards.

For what it's worth, Mark Kelso said before the game that he thought the defense was finally starting to "get it" when it comes to the 3-4. It didn't appear that way in the first half, but it sounded like they were at least getting some pressure on Palmer. If this defense keeps improving over the rest of the season, I'd see no reason to replace Edwards.

Everyone is talking up Fitz today, but I feel the game changed when the defense stopped them at the end of the first half. They then blanked them the rest of the game. They were just as responsible for the win as Fitz :thumbsup:

I suppose we need to give Edwards some more time considering he is a rookie DC. And the mid season adjustment was a good indication of the willingness to change if things aren't working (e.g. atrocious run D in the first few games). Again, it will be interesting to see what the FO does if the D shows continued improvement but a top flight proven (ex) DC becomes available.

With all of the respect on earth, I am going to strongly disagree with the bolded.

Fitz has a good enough arm to make most throws. He also has the coordination to adjust his body and step into passes that he needs to really air out. I am NOT complaining about Fitz's arm, but to characterize it as "excellent" is very far from true....again, imo.

When I think of "excellent" arm strngth, names such as Marino, Bledsoe, Bert Jones, and Elway come to mind. Perhaps we are speaking on different terms. ;)

Btw, I don't think for a second that a qb needs a hall of fame arm to be good, or even great.

We are probably just using different vocabulary. Fitz has a strong arm, and I'd say it's one of the better arms in terms of strength (can throw off his back foot and on the run and a deep out) with authority.

No, it's not in the elite of Elway/Jeff George.

Either way, his arm strength is at least not a question. And his accuracy may not be great but it's also not awful. Looking at the stats, he's a little below average but unless your looking for Drew Brees's 70% completion rate, his 60% is not far off the pack of QBs at 62-3...based on a 30ish attempts per game, you're talking about less than 1 completion fewer per game than the likes of Rothlisberger/Ryan/Vick. It's a weak spot but hardly the end of the world.

I suppose we need to give Edwards some more time considering he is a rookie DC. And the mid season adjustment was a good indication of the willingness to change if things aren't working (e.g. atrocious run D in the first few games). Again, it will be interesting to see what the FO does if the D shows continued improvement but a top flight proven (ex) DC becomes available.

This.

I was on the bandwagon a few weeks ago to consider whether or not the DC should be replaced, but like Gailey, we have to give this staff some time. If the players start to get it and show enough improvement (read: putting up a whale of an effort against the elite teams they play...NE, Pit, NYJ), then we can consider keeping Edwards around.

When you're unit is improving, THAT'S when you want the continuity in the coaching staff. If the defense takes steps backwards and gets rolled by those elite teams, then they may want to think about bringing in someone else to run the show.

Some comments about your comments:

I agree with you about the receivers being the strongest unit. It worries me a little that a year ago everyone was saying the same thing about the secondary.

I hope we haven't seen the last of Parrish. He's proven, guys like Easley while looked promising ,needs to do mre first before I'm ready to give up on Roscoe.

Fitz is still only in his fifth year, that's young in QB years

Agree about extending Johnson.

Agree about adding a RT. The other area the Bills O-line does still seem to struggle is run blocking. Maybe too much practice time was spent on improving the pass blocking, seem they need to work more on run blocking and show more improvement there. Or maybe they still need to make some changes ot get guysa thta can do both?

Seems it often takes rookies one full year to let the speed of the game come to them. Maybe now are seeing that in Troup and Carrington? It's easier ot play rookies and have them look good when there's a strong tem around the rookie. The Bills don't have the luxury yet so tend to bring them guys along slowly.

One disapointment though so far this year is the play of Byrd.

Without a doubt the defense has improved. They seem to be playing a four linemen alignment a good bit and that plays more to the strength of the current players we have.

In regards to Lindell, no doubt he has struggled recently, but way too early to reasonably say his days are numbered.

The WR corps may be our strongest positional unit on the team. Evans, Johnson, Nelson, Parrish, Jones and Easley. Easley was having the best camp out of all the rooks, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him turnout into a gamer. I think it is safe to say Parrish has already played his last day as a Bill. I'm excited about this group.

Fitz has been the heart and soul of this team. The team and the fans are all behind him and I don't believe he has hit his ceiling yet. I believe this is his first full year as a starter, certainly his first behind this offensive system and hopefully he can improve on his consistency in regards to his accuracy. Oh and he is one resilient person, I thought he was dead in the water after the second pick and he still continued to fire the ball in there. Great stuff.

I saw something in Stevie Johnson his rookie year. He was a playmaker with Kentucky, he was a playmaker in preseason in his rookie year, and when thrust into the NFL at the end of his rookie year he somehow found a way to catch TD's. The fact that Jauron didn't play him at all last year doesn't speak to Johnson's ability but more so of Jauron's ineptitude. He drops a few passes, but in my view the criticism he was receiving for dropping those passes was way overblown. All he does is catch TD's. He is the #1 WR of this team. IF the Bills were smart (hmmm) they would lock him up RIGHT NOW, before they end up paying him more than what they are willing to pay.

In regards to Hangartner, no way no how will I say he is better than Woods (and yes I know he whiffed on that sack) but Hangartner is a keeper. The only area I believe we need to address on the line is RT.

I still think that we could skip the QB in the draft and address other positions. The more Fitzpatrick plays the better he gets.

How long has it been to have 2 300yd games in 1 season?

here's a hint: it sure as hell wasn't trent edwards

good stuff, though i'm on the let's see how lindell finishes out before we lose him.

i also think winning remains important, as it's difficult to change a culture of losing by failing to win.

i must have missed something on roscoe. my thought was that a gailey offense seems to like those playmaker types, and roscoe was becoming an integral part of the offense.

great win, it wasn't on here, so i had the radio on. in figued it was just one of those days in the first half, but it was pretty exciting in the second!

First off, Rian Lindell is the least of the Bills problems, IMO, and in a 2-8 campaign you can "ride out" his slump. I am really starting to believe this team could build around Fitzpatrick, and getting front seven defensive stoppers in the offseason is priority #1. I'd allocate free agency acquisitions and follow that up with the draft being defensive heavy! In regards to Chan Gailey and his staff, the improvements across the board are real, and bode well for 2011 and beyond. This arguably is not too bad for a bargain basement coach, is it?? I actually am in the mode of loving every weekend again, and this alone is the fun one can derive from an up and coming outfit. It is undoubtedly a good time to be a Bills fan again. This is a scrappy, overachieving bunch, and I can support that 100%, now and in the future.

This.

I was on the bandwagon a few weeks ago to consider whether or not the DC should be replaced, but like Gailey, we have to give this staff some time. If the players start to get it and show enough improvement (read: putting up a whale of an effort against the elite teams they play...NE, Pit, NYJ), then we can consider keeping Edwards around.

When you're unit is improving, THAT'S when you want the continuity in the coaching staff. If the defense takes steps backwards and gets rolled by those elite teams, then they may want to think about bringing in someone else to run the show.

I've learned in my years of following football that when a team brings in a new coaching staff it usually takes at least half a season for the players to get comfortable with the offensive and defensive schemes so they can not think so much and "play fast." Usually the defense tends to settle in a couple games before the midway point and the offense a couple games after the midway point, but if you've got an experienced O-line, or a QB like Fitz who can help determine assignments it helps the process. When you've got a defensive coordinator who doesn't settle on a scheme until a few weeks into the season, well, that's where the Bills D is now.

Win or lose (but hopefully wins) it should be fun watching the talent develop on this "talentless" roster.