Count the empty seats!

Vinny4sum

According to this article it sounds like they are not even close to selling out and have trouble the rest of the year.

Would be nice to hear more chears for the Bills on the road!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c3599b/article/bengals-sellout-streak-might-end-at-57-jags-given-extension?module=HP_headlines

According to this article it sounds like they are not even close to selling out and have trouble the rest of the year.

http://www.nfl.com/n...le=HP_headlines

I'd go to this game (I live outside Louisville, KY) this weekend but my wife's best friend decided to get remarried this weekend and we're off

to attend. With the Bengals crashing to earth and the Bills being "who we thought they were", that there's not much interest in the game isn't very surprising.

And yet no one suggests the Bengals or Bucs move to L.A. Ponderous.

PTR

This to me is what makes the talk of the bills moving unrealistic to me... we've been terrible for 11 years and still sell out regularly. The chargers routinely challenge for their division title and can't sell out. The jags tarp seats to ensure sell outs. The bills are not in terrible or even bad economic standing. Yes the city may leave something to be desired but the fans don't and ultimately no owner new or otherwise would move this team

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c3599b/article/bengals-sellout-streak-might-end-at-57-jags-given-extension?module=HP_headlines

The NFL is pricing middle income fans out of the game ... even in this awful economic mess ticket prices keep going up and players demand higher salaries and more and more.

Having lived in Cincinnati for the past 3 of 4 years I can tell you that there fans are not nearly as loyal as ours. Last year when they made the playoffs they barely sold out the playoff game. As I recall tickets were still available two days before the game. On a side note, Marvin Lewis is an awful coach. How he won coach of the year last year is beyond me. He is one of the longest tenured coachs in the NFL (third or fourth most tenured). Any other city would have thrown him to the curb a long time ago.

Lot's of empty seats all over the league this year...so Buffalo does not look so bad in that regard. I think even Tampa had only 44,000 last weekend on a beautiful day and they are a division title contender.

Good! That is one thing wonderful about what is happening to the economy... People are finally getting wise to the highway robbery.

The NFL is pricing middle income fans out of the game ... even in this awful economic mess ticket prices keep going up and players demand higher salaries and more and more.

It is only gonna stop when we THE FANS (collectively) stop worshipping these clowns!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Does this really surprise any one with the economy in the toilet ( i'll keep all political comments for another blog) & with 2 teams that are not having a very productive season .

Fans can't afford to blow money on something they can't get any thing out of !!

Having lived in Cincinnati for the past 3 of 4 years I can tell you that their fans are not nearly as loyal as ours. Last year when they made the playoffs they barely sold out the playoff game. As I recall tickets were still available two days before the game. On a side note, Marvin Lewis is an awful coach. How he won coach of the year last year is beyond me. He is one of the longest tenured coachs in the NFL (third or fourth most tenured). Any other city would have thrown him to the curb a long time ago.

I agree with you on these fans being weak for the most part. I moved here a little over 2 years ago and I was shocked to see they could not sell tickets last year when they were in the playoff hunt and beating everyone in the AFC North. The main reason why they do eventuallyu sell out is usually because a local corporation buys the remainder of the tickets at a discount.

The only thing I will give them is that the tickets are generally more expensive than they are in B-Lo.

That playoff game last year was an absolute joke. The fans all dumped their tickets the night before the game because "it was going to be too cold" so I ended up getting 3rd level 40yd line tickets on stubhub for $22 per ticket for a PLAYOFF game! By the 3rd quarter i was at the 50 yard line 8 rows up from the Jets bench because a couple on their way out thought it was too cold and gave me their tickets..

For a number of reasons, greed among them, I think the NFL has peaked. Anyone who has young kids (up to, say, age 30)knows they just aren't as interested in football as kids were 20, 30, 40 years ago. Sure, there are exceptions. But it appears to me that the days of being "America's Game" are passing away. That's a factor in the owners push for a new bargaining formula.

Not that the game itself will fade into oblivion -- that won't happen. But I believe it will settle in the way MLB has, where the TV ratings for the recent World Series (a fun one too) were less than Dancing With The Stars. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It would mean the game returns to the days of the 50s, 60s and 70s, where the money was way less but the game seemed more fun and belonged more to the rabid fans.

After a whopping 8% average ticket price increase in 2008, the NFL had its highest attendance ever. The avg ticket was $72.20. It's now $76.67. That's no significant change.

For a number of reasons, greed among them, I think the NFL has peaked. Anyone who has young kids (up to, say, age 30)knows they just aren't as interested in football as kids were 20, 30, 40 years ago. Sure, there are exceptions. But it appears to me that the days of being "America's Game" are passing away. That's a factor in the owners push for a new bargaining formula.

30 or 40 years ago, kids were far more interested in baseball than the NFL.

Not that the game itself will fade into oblivion -- that won't happen. But I believe it will settle in the way MLB has, where the TV ratings for the recent World Series (a fun one too) were less than Dancing With The Stars. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It would mean the game returns to the days of the 50s, 60s and 70s, where the money was way less but the game seemed more fun and belonged more to the rabid fans.

That...will never happen, unless the NFL starts playing 162 games per year.

PTR

There is a good reason why you don't here speculation about those two teams moving as opposed to the Bills. Their owners are not 92 yrs old and indicating that the team will be auctioned to the highest bidder. Those other teams also play all their home games at their home location, as opposed to the Bills who already have sold off some of their home games for more money.

Like the Detroit game the remaining home games at the Ralph will have plenty of vacant seats. The Pittsburgh game at the Ralph will probably have more Steeler fans than Bills' fans.

Edited by JohnC

The following players would like to thank the fans for their monetary support:

Evans, Lee WR $9,002,600

Stroud, Marcus $6,502,080

McKelvin, Leodis $6,243,330

Maybin, Aaron $3,450,000

Kelsay, Chris $3,600,000

Ayodele, Akin $2,756,240

Thank you fans for helping us feed our families. We hope you you got your money's worth. Please keep buying tickets!

I do feel better when other teams don't sell out as it does reduce the likelyhood of the Bills moving. The problem is LA. The market is so large and the potential to make money there so great that all bets are off. Could the Vikes end up in LA, absolutely, Jags also. The Browns moved once and no one can deny the loyalty they received back in the day. I know that LA fans aren't die hards and have proven that they wouldn't support a couple of NFL teams now but...new stadium and hype would ensure that any owner there would make a ton of money. Even if it is just for first 10-15 years. The vikes are the prime example, new stadium for the twins/gophers and hockey then nothing for the NFL so they threaten to move.

I don't follow it that closely in terms of local elections but I think there is a real threat of them moving first. After 10-15 years the hype will be gone and the stadium a little tired and the owner will announce a move back to Minneapolis/St. Paul

What's ponderous about it?

Those teams have stable ownership that's not on the verge of dying and selling the team to the highest bidder.

Wilson could make a bunch of moves to ensure the team stays after his death, but he refuses to do it. That makes the Bills prime candidates to move after his death. Maybe there's a back-door deal in the works, but I simply cant imagine anyone investing $800 million for a team that cant sell out every game with one of the lowest avg ticket prices in the league.

Obviously there's teams in all sports with attendance and performance issues and the Bills have both. See the link that shows the Bills are 28th in average home attendance so far this year and it aint going to get any better. This team is in big trouble on all fronts. BTW, the Bucs are 31st and CIN 16th. While there's countless talk on the web of the Bills leaving, there's practically no talk about either CIN or TB possibly leaving. There's nothing to ponder here.

You've been on the board long enough. I'm surprised you'd make a comment like this.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

PTR

Sorry, check that. The Bills are 24th in avg home attendance. Still not good and the people on this thread seem to think we have good attendance. We dont.

What's ponderous about it?

Those teams have stable ownership that's not on the verge of dying and selling the team to the highest bidder.

Wilson could make a bunch of moves to ensure the team stays after his death, but he refuses to do it. That makes the Bills prime candidates to move after his death. Maybe there's a back-door deal in the works, but I simply cant imagine anyone investing $800 million for a team that cant sell out every game with one of the lowest avg ticket prices in the league.

Obviously there's teams in all sports with attendance and performance issues and the Bills have both. See the link that shows the Bills are 28th in average home attendance so far this year and it aint going to get any better. This team is in big trouble on all fronts. BTW, the Bucs are 31st and CIN 16th. While there's countless talk on the web of the Bills leaving, there's practically no talk about either CIN or TB possibly leaving. There's nothing to ponder here.

You've been on the board long enough. I'm surprised you'd make a comment like this.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct