I am off the Fitzpatrick bandwagon

The sentiment of "Brady or bust" is not necessarily as absurd as it might initially appear. If the Bills intended to win a Super Bowl, they almost have to have a franchise-caliber QB.

Opportunities to acquire such players are very rare. If you don't have a franchise quarterback and there's one available, you take him. Period.

Do you know who the all-time leader for interceptions thrown is? Hint: he has won a Superbowl in the past decade, and will be enshrined in Canton some day.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

STATS How many people said he has good stats TD/INT 300 yard passing etc etc etc ... One stat thet counts ... Win and Losses.

PUT THE GAME AWAY not PUT US TO SLEEP!!!!

I will admit that I was wrong on one thing ... He's slightly better than Trent not vice versa.

So if a QB plays lights out and his D and ST blow the game is it still the QBs fault they lost? Just wondering.

PTR

Fitz's stats are indeed solid. But with Gailey as head coach or offensive coordinator, guys like Jay Fielder and Tyler Thigpen also put up some very good stats. The way Gailey does this is with a one read offense: the quarterback knows the throw he's going to make before the ball is snapped, and throws it almost immediately after the snap. It's a good way of making both the quarterback and the offensive line look better than they really are.

Fitz is a solid player, but does not look to be a franchise-caliber quarterback.

Again.....what does a franchise QB supposed to look like...other than being drafted #1 overall?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The sentiment of "Brady or bust" is not necessarily as absurd as it might initially appear. If the Bills intended to win a Super Bowl, they almost have to have a franchise-caliber QB.

Opportunities to acquire such players are very rare. If you don't have a franchise quarterback and there's one available, you take him. Period.

Do franchise QBs come with that word tattooed on their foreheads? This is what I don't understand. Everyone says you have to draft a franchise QB when one is available to you but who guarantees that these players work out? A "franchise" QB at the level of a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady come around once every 6-7 years and sometimes they aren't even the top pick. of course if the Bills could draft Tom Brady they would, but who knows who is going to be the next Tom Brady? McShay? Kiper? You?

Here is what Todd McShay said about JaWalrus Russell, probably the all-time NFL QB bust...

"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

And McShay was just one of the knuckleheads drooling over JaWalrus. All this smoke being blown over Luck makes me very wary, especially since he's not exactly Superman on the football field. How is last year's hype Clausen doing? I'm just saying there is an Andrew Luck every flippin' year. :doh:

PTR

Here's a question - would you rather have Fitz and the chance to draft a rookie QB, or McNabb for 5 years at $78mil? I mean he's a "franchise QB" guy...

Fitz is our guy for the next couple years, IMO.

Edited by Heitz

Here's a question - would you rather have Fitz and the chance to draft a QB, or McNabb for 5 years at $88mil? I mean he's a "franchise QB" guy...

You know it. How many posters were screaming for the Bills to trade for McNabb? Looks like he did Bills fans a favor by refusing to play here.

PTR

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the Quarterback situation in Buffalo. Personally, I have seen enough. I didn't say much because I needed to see 4 or 5 more games in Buffalo. I saw 4 games with the Bengals about 10 with Buffalo.

I am not going to make excuses anymore. This guy reminds me of rookie cop at the firing range that shoots out the water cooler.

I hope he gets better but if he doesn't I still want to see Brian Brohm or draft a new QB.

Should you decide to stick with Brohm, I wish you well!

I guess if you cant B word about this you have to B word about that.

So if a QB plays lights out and his D and ST blow the game is it still the QBs fault they lost? Just wondering.

PTR

Again.....what does a franchise QB supposed to look like...other than being drafted #1 overall?

PTR

I would say they would look something like Mike Vick?

Do you know who the all-time leader for interceptions thrown is? Hint: he has won a Superbowl in the past decade, and will be enshrined in Canton some day.

Assuming you are talking about Favre...he won his Super Bowl in 1996...14 years ago...he actually hasn't even been to a Super Bowl (as a player) in the last decade...just saying!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the Quarterback situation in Buffalo. Personally, I have seen enough. I didn't say much because I needed to see 4 or 5 more games in Buffalo. I saw 4 games with the Bengals about 10 with Buffalo.

I am not going to make excuses anymore. This guy reminds me of rookie cop at the firing range that shoots out the water cooler.

I hope he gets better but if he doesn't I still want to see Brian Brohm or draft a new QB.

Should you decide to stick with Brohm, I wish you well!

Brohm? LMAO. Sometimes I really believe that there must be parallel universes where people like you are watching a totally differnt game than the one I am.

Fitz has thrown a TD in 10 consecutive games.

Dating back to last season's game vs. INdy, Fitz has thrown for 1,800yds, 17td, 7int's in 8 games. And here you are, bringing up Brohm? :unsure:

Do franchise QBs come with that word tattooed on their foreheads? This is what I don't understand. Everyone says you have to draft a franchise QB when one is available to you but who guarantees that these players work out? A "franchise" QB at the level of a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady come around once every 6-7 years and sometimes they aren't even the top pick. of course if the Bills could draft Tom Brady they would, but who knows who is going to be the next Tom Brady? McShay? Kiper? You?

Here is what Todd McShay said about JaWalrus Russell, probably the all-time NFL QB bust...

And McShay was just one of the knuckleheads drooling over JaWalrus. All this smoke being blown over Luck makes me very wary, especially since he's not exactly Superman on the football field. How is last year's hype Clausen doing? I'm just saying there is an Andrew Luck every flippin' year. :doh:

PTR

You're over-generalizing on the Clausen vs. Luck comparison...There is none actually...OK they play the same position...But Luck will enter the NFL with a MUCH higher Grade and a heck of a lot more hype than Clausen could ever dream of. No matter when Luck comes out...There actually is not an Andrew Luck every Year because there is not a QB who most feel will go #1 Overall every Year...In fact a QB has been chosen #1 Overall 13 of the past 25 Years (In no certain order Couch, Bledsoe, Russell, Carr, George, A. Smith, Stafford, Palmer, Vick, Testeverde, Eli Manning, Aikman, and Peyton Manning) so it's about one every other Year...Russell is more of a fair comparison but he definitely did not have the intangibles that Luck is said to have...He did have a stronger arm though...Clausen was never considered a #1 Overall-type QB and certainly not after his Sophomore Year..

I know it may seem like splitting hairs...Just saying... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I can get thinking that you can upgrade at QB talent over Fitz. But how can you be off the bandwagon rooting for this guy? The guy is one of the toughest guys in this league, regardless of position. He is a warrior and he single-handedly made a 1-8 start somewhat interesting. Love the guy and want him on this roster for the rest of his career.

PTR

I generally dislike McShay, but his comments about Jamarcus' workouts make sense when considering his physical talents alone. Even Jamarcus' college coaches stated that he'd need to commit to putting in practice and film study work to make it in the NFL--- which he admittedly never did. Michael Vick didn't work hard in Atlanta, is doing so now in Philly, and it shows. Russell had all the physical tools to succeed in the NFL, but he didn't dedicate himself to it, which was his downfall.

I'm not a Fitz backer, but I'm also not sold on the potential QB's coming out this year. I like Luck and Mallett, but I'm not completely sold on either guy. Luck is a smart kid that disects the defense well and gets the ball out with good velocity, but I like Mallett's arm strength and overall potential. I'd take a chance on Locker, Foles, or Newton if it was 3rd round or later. My preference? Whichever one is the cast off from Philly. I'd rather have Vick, but I think it's more likely that Kolb will be the one traded or released. Hopefully he will be released because he's getting too much money to be a backup in Philly's eyes. If he was signed as a FA then we could use our picks elsewhere. A couple of impact defensive players.

A+ ....GOOD JOB

PTR

One of the easiest mistakes to make--even for professional talent evaluators--is to overvalue a quarterback's physical traits. You want a quarterback who can read defenses, who can see multiple options quickly, who throws the ball accurately, and who has a strong passion for the game of football. I doubt that any of those things could be said about JaMarcus Russell. Consider McShay's quote: "[Russell's] footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands." None of that implies that Russell was particularly impressive on any of the traits I mentioned above.

A franchise quarterback is someone who's very strong on the above-mentioned traits (accuracy, reading defenses, etc.) and who, ideally, can hit his receivers in perfect stride. In answer to your question, that's what a franchise quarterback looks like, at least to me. Obviously there's no guarantee that a guy like that will work out, any more than picking a non-quarterback will give you a guaranteed success either. There's no such thing as a guarantee in the NFL draft.

I think Fitzpatrick has played well.

Not great. Not bad. But well.

He's had two bad games, two ok games, and two great games this year. This last weekend, it was wet and cold, and he still played well enough, imo.

I'll let him finish out the season as the starter. I want to see exactly how that ends up.

PTR

PTR

Lights out? What did Fitz do that soooo impressed you? He's still off target going deep. What were there 3 off target?

What he didn't do

- no balls fell from his hands when he went to pass Yippee!!

- he didn't throw 2 INTs to lose the game Yippee!!

- what happened to the "guy" that threw 300 yds passing? 146 passing yards was he 2nd fewest all season!

He's an average Joe.

Watching Vick last night/this season, it's amazing that it's the same guy, at age 30, who couldn't break 56.5% passing in his first 6 seasons, all with Atlanta. It was mentioned during the game that Reid and co. worked on Vick's mechanics and I'm wondering if the same couldn't be done with Fitz? He's a smart guy who seems like a hard worker.