Codero Howard to Start At Right Tackle...

BillsPhan

Don't knock Cordaro Howard off just yet. The guy filled in pretty well for Bell, Wood and Green. Sure I'd love for us to throw money at some big name guys. But this is the Bills we're talking about ...so forget about it. Give Howard a try before you get your knickers in a bunch.

Another unknown free agent steps in to start on the Bills offensive line this Sunday against the Ravens.

Linky:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article225040.ece

Look out NFL, here comes Codero Howard, who was so highly thought of coming out of Georgia Tech that nobody drafted him - including the Bills, last April. Of course, Chan Gailey did recruit him, so of course Gailey knows more then anyone else in the NFL about him, so of course he will do just fine at RT against the Ravens defense. :wallbash:

I wonder if Buddy Nix knows that he is allowed to draft starting caliber offensive linemen. Take the 49ers as a case in point. They drafted Anthony Davis out of Rutgers with their first round choice just a few picks after Nix took Spiller. In fact, they even traded up to be in the position to draft him! Oh my God, what a strange idea that would be for Nix, who takes about 10 seconds to have his choices sprinted up to the podium as if he is jumping for joy to choose small college players like Terrel Troup and Arthur Moats, that no other team is even thinking about drafting that round!! NFL teams trade up - giving up those valuable extra picks, to target one player???? Nix would never dream of that, based on his performance last April.

But I digress.

So the 49ers move up to draft Anthony Davis, who was just sitting there available for Nix to draft ahead of them, and what happens?? Take a look at the 49ers depth chart today - Davis is their starting right tackle!!!! :doh: Amazing, I'm sure Nix never thought that could happen, that's why he waited until the 4th round to draft Eddy Wang. No way could Davis ever start right away for his Buffalo Bills, Nix must have thought.

So now we will all have Cordero Howard to watch struggle against the Baltimore Ravens monster defense, while Cornell Green recovers from his "mystery injury", and at the same time, Anthony Davis continues to start as he has from day one at RT for the 49ers, gaining experience and earning his first round money.

And Buddy Nix is a "football guy", who believes you build through the draft?? :w00t::bag:

Did you forget about the last time an undrafted free agent started out at RT for us?

He then transformed into a Pro-Bowl caliber LT...

Then you all ran him outta town! :wallbash:

Normally, you don't pick a RT in the 1st round...

Someone forgot to remind Tom Donahoe of that when he selected Mike Williams with the 5th pick in round 1.

Another unknown free agent steps in to start on the Bills offensive line this Sunday against the Ravens.

Linky:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article225040.ece

Look out NFL, here comes Codero Howard, who was so highly thought of coming out of Georgia Tech that nobody drafted him - including the Bills, last April. Of course, Chan Gailey did recruit him, so of course Gailey knows more then anyone else in the NFL about him, so of course he will do just fine at RT against the Ravens defense. :wallbash:

I wonder if Buddy Nix knows that he is allowed to draft starting caliber offensive linemen. Take the 49ers as a case in point. They drafted Anthony Davis out of Rutgers with their first round choice just a few picks after Nix took Spiller. In fact, they even traded up to be in the position to draft him! Oh my God, what a strange idea that would be for Nix, who takes about 10 seconds to have his choices sprinted up to the podium as if he is jumping for joy to choose small college players like Terrel Troup and Arthur Moats, that no other team is even thinking about drafting that round!! NFL teams trade up - giving up those valuable extra picks, to target one player???? Nix would never dream of that, based on his performance last April.

But I digress.

So the 49ers move up to draft Anthony Davis, who was just sitting there available for Nix to draft ahead of them, and what happens?? Take a look at the 49ers depth chart today - Davis is their starting right tackle!!!! :doh: Amazing, I'm sure Nix never thought that could happen, that's why he waited until the 4th round to draft Eddy Wang. No way could Davis ever start right away for his Buffalo Bills, Nix must have thought.

So now we will all have Cordero Howard to watch struggle against the Baltimore Ravens monster defense, while Cornell Green recovers from his "mystery injury", and at the same time, Anthony Davis continues to start as he has from day one at RT for the 49ers, gaining experience and earning his first round money.

And Buddy Nix is a "football guy", who believes you build through the draft?? :w00t::bag:

No way I trade up to get Davis. Glad Buddy felt the same.

Eddy Wang was a 5th rounder.

UDFA or not, I hope Howard plays so well that I never see Cornell Green again. I suspect that if Howard makes it in the NFL it will be at guard.

ed wang - 5th round

a davis - not good, and possibly not worth trading other valuable pics for.

49ers record? 1 win better than the bills in a far weaker division.

so whats your point again? oh ya - Chan is playing a guy he is familiar with. Well, boy, that worked out real bad for Pete Carroll and Mike WIlliams in Seattle... oh wait a minute. Maybe players and coaches know eachother and how to push buttons better then us fans ore the media realizes.

in the end - this is a dumb post, im sorry....

Don't be...

Cordaro will get his ass kicked for a while. But that's fine with me cause at least he'll learn and get better. Cornell Green? Please... He's prolly already looking forward to his retirement years and spending more time with his family. Might as well give Howard more xp and see what the fellow can do. Let him suck wind and level up. We need to find out what our young guys can do. We already know what our old guys can't do.

So the 49ers move up to draft Anthony Davis, who was just sitting there available for Nix to draft ahead of them, and what happens?? Take a look at the 49ers depth chart today - Davis is their starting right tackle!!!! :doh:

Yeah, that's what I want at #9, to draft a right tackle and pay him $5 mill a year. If Davis turns out to be an RT, he will be considered a failure at that draft position.

:doh: is right.

How many games did he play at LT. Answer = 0.

When he was drafted there were doubts that he was athletic enough to convert to LT.

I believe he was a RT for a left handed QB in college. Also, whether he was played at LT or not is a different story. Your post seemed to indicate that we picked a guard with that high a pick. And I am saying that is not the case - he was picked to play LT for the Bills but was gradually demoted and let go when we started realizing the guy just plain sucked no matter the position.

Sweet Jesus, another 'wahhhmbulance' thread... :rolleyes:

You should be HAPPY that Cordero Howard is moving up the starting RT. Cornell Green is, er...um...'not very good' is about as nicely as I can put it - and, btw, Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent too. So was Pat Williams, London Fletcher, etc.

Lots of NFL greats were undrafted - give the guy a chance.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

15 and 5 baby!!!!! B-)

Right. Howard has some ability and may be the type of player who can grow his skills at the next level. These types of later round and undrafted players who improve while transitioning to the pro level are what all successful teams find and develop. Its all about how they project at the next level and it is often impossible to predict. Howard may well still be here when (if) the Bills finally get to turn things around.

Don't look at the Bills' 2002 draft. You might cry.

Mike Williams was a RT who was protecting Chris Sims (southpaw) blind side at Texas. He was projected as

playing RT initially and then switch to LT. Despite some encouraging games in his first two years with the Bills, he seemed lazy and began his rapid decent to a first round bust.

Blast the Bills brass all you want, but he was widely held around the league as a top talent coming out of Texas........

Look, this season is over. All that is left is to treat it like one long preseason and evaluate people. If Gailey liked this guy enough to recruit him in college then why not take a look now. What have the Bills got to lose. What's the downside. that he sucks? We have that in abundance already so what's a little more. What's the potential upside? That the kid can play at least well enough to be a depth player in the future.

Short answer, nothing to lose and everything to gain.

As others have said, just call it the 2010 pre-season slate of 20 games. Ironic the team didn't mention Green's injury, just that he'd be out indefinitely. It's probably a means to protect themselves from looking worse for wasting 9M dollars on a journeyman former Raider who wasn't re-signed.

Cordaro Howard is playing because they've got no one else plain and simple. If he doesn't draw attention to himself and plays better than Green, great. But when you look at the OL, they've got issues at, in this order, LT, RT, and C going into 2011. I don't think Howard could be any worse than Green and besides, offensive genius Gailey recruited him to GT.

Cordaro Howard is playing because they've got no one else plain and simple. If he doesn't draw attention to himself and plays better than Green, great. But when you look at the OL, they've got issues at, in this order, LT, RT, and C going into 2011. I don't think Howard could be any worse than Green and besides, offensive genius Gailey recruited him to GT.

Pretty much. I love hangartner as a back up, but we need a dominant center back there. Bell is improving, but i don't think he will improve enough this season to be an nfl starter, though I would like to try him at RT.

And if howard somehow blossoms at RT, then great. But as it stands right now, it doesn't look good at either position unless a player steps up.

Pretty much. I love hangartner as a back up, but we need a dominant center back there. Bell is improving, but i don't think he will improve enough this season to be an nfl starter, though I would like to try him at RT.

And if howard somehow blossoms at RT, then great. But as it stands right now, it doesn't look good at either position unless a player steps up.

I think the best possible outcome is that Urbik can step up at guard, Wood can go to center, and Bell can fill in at RT for a year or two until they can afford to draft a replacement. We need to get a good LT in here soon though.

Again, that's the best possible scenario. Realistically, way too many question marks for it to actually work.

Mike Williams was a RT who was protecting Chris Sims (southpaw) blind side at Texas. He was projected as

playing RT initially and then switch to LT. Despite some encouraging games in his first two years with the Bills, he seemed lazy and began his rapid decent to a first round bust.

Blast the Bills brass all you want, but he was widely held around the league as a top talent coming out of Texas........

Was he or was he not a Right Tackle? Did the poster I responded to not say "who does this?" and inquire why a team would do this?

I know Mike Williams was highly touted. I went and covered that Bills draft for a local paper. There wasn't a person in the media room who thought the Bills were making a really bad decision (though it was a point of debate regarding McKinnie vs. Williams).

Another primary point here is that you can't just count on a position switch based on projections (protected a lefty's blind side, ergo he must be able to do the same from the other side). And for as fat and lazy as people call Peters (the guy who actually could play LT), Mike was on another level when it came right down to it.

You would (and should) only ever draft a RT at No.9 or at No.5 if you thought he was going to be an All Pro year-in year-out.

What satifaction do some fans get from seeing the Bills throw a series of marginal players out on the field, as replacements for what are most likely marginally better marginal players?

The new marginal players are younger and still have hope to improve overtime; the same hope that Bills' fans have for the Bills.

Sweet Jesus, another 'wahhhmbulance' thread... :rolleyes:

You should be HAPPY that Cordero Howard is moving up the starting RT. Cornell Green is, er...um...'not very good' is about as nicely as I can put it - and, btw, Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent too. So was Pat Williams, London Fletcher, etc.

Lots of NFL greats were undrafted - give the guy a chance.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

15 and 5 baby!!!!! B-)

OW!!

Darn it, Sen...you HAD to throw the Pat Williams and London Fletcher thing out there, huh?

Really?

Thanks for pointing all that out, Captain Obvious! :rolleyes:

BTW, drafts used to last as many 30 rounds in the 1950s, 20 in the '60's, 17 rounds in the 70's, and 12 rounds as recently as 1992. Jack Kemp was drafted in the 17th round. Johnny Unitas in the 9th. Daryle Lamonica in the 24th.

This subject comes up every now and then, so I've done some looking up previously - you'd be surprised at some of the undrafted stars of the NFL, even with that many rounds. I know I was...

Best undrafted NFL players

Not saying the number off undrafted stars will ever exceed the number drafted ones but, with seven round drafts, we're going to see an increasing number of undrafted gems. (And, as Buddy Nix has stated, it's an 'inexpensive' way to fill out a roster, too!)

If you're going to go back to the sixties, I'm going to have to point out that there were far fewer teams. Plus in the early 60s, there were two competing drafts - the NFL and AFL. The NFL had 14 teams in the mid-1960s, and 20x14 (280) isn't a whole lot different from the number of draft picks in recent years (between 255 and 261 - http://football.about.com/cs/nfldrafthistory/a/nfldraftirrelev.htm ).

The new marginal players are younger and still have hope to improve overtime; the same hope that Bills' fans have for the Bills.

That hope is marginal.

I think it can make the organization (and the other players) look worse than it actually is, and can undercut progress some other young players (players that might actually have hope for a decent career) might be making.

I guess it's not worth arguing over though.

I believe he was a RT for a left handed QB in college. Also, whether he was played at LT or not is a different story. Your post seemed to indicate that we picked a guard with that high a pick. And I am saying that is not the case - he was picked to play LT for the Bills but was gradually demoted and let go when we started realizing the guy just plain sucked no matter the position.

He was a RT in college. He was picked as RT with the thought that he could dominate at RT and eventually move to LT. He never did move to LT. EVER. Did not have the feet or the athletic ability. He was lazy and slow.