Spiller to have only small role

BeastMode54

so why even bring it up.

spiller = bust shouldnt even be in the same sentence.

are you off your meds?

no, I didn't mean to refer to Spiller as a bust. His explosiveness in the preseason showed that he has unbelievable skill. I'm referring to out other draft picks. On paper, they look awful, and they haven't done much at all in two games and preseason. The biggest surprise was UNdrafted David Nelson

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Jahvid Best at blitz pick-ups?

Also, this is exactly the opposite of what Chan said before the first game. He said Spiller is our starting RB week 1. Now the same week that he says we need a spark he says we'll bring CJ along slowly. But I thought CJ was out spark? I like Chan, but he already seems to be in damage control in week 3 of the season, and his play calling doesn't look much better than the previous regimes.

So it looks like the Lions are a better run organization because they have figured out how to get their rookie RB in on the action and we can't. Oi. The Lions.

This is absolutely the most frustrating thing. Spiller and Best are very similar players, but obviously Buffalo is so amazingly inept that we can't get any production from a talent like CJ.

Seriously...I swear I'm not one just looking to dump on Gailey and Nix...But this is a complete joke...They could have used that Pick to Trade down and stockpile Picks...And please for the love of God don't give me the the bull about how it takes two teams to Trade and blah, blah, blah...They had that card up there in record time...They did not even try...And now we have a 3rd string RB and Kick Returner for the #9 overall Pick...

This Franchise is...Well...Nevermind... :censored:

"We just need to get him going on a little slower pace than throwing him in there from the get-go."

Maybe he means at the training table buffet--he's worried about weight gain. A smaller "roll", perhaps.

Otherwise, this makes no sense--we draft him so he may be "electrifying" 3 years from now, maybe?

This is weird.

Trent threw a bunch of "screens," or so they were called, in reality they were just passes to the flat, to Spiller the last couple weeks.

A smart coach would probably say how many carries each back is going to get, what downs they'll get them. A stupid coach would probably say Spiller wasn't going to be a big part of the game, then get him out there and change the gameplan...

Since they already lost Sunday's game, I guess we can rule out the theory about Chan just posturing.

And this doesn't have anything to do with Spiller, but just a quick point on those discussing the Lions with envy. If there is any sign for optimism about a potential return to power for the Bills w/ our degenerate owner still calling the shots, its the Lions. Ford is an owner bred from the same cloth as Wilson. He is a bit younger, but the generational similarities (and the consequent similarities in business management) are quite clear. The Lions finally figured out what is needed to build a team and seem to have been going about their business in doing so the past couple of years. Johnson, Stafford, Pettigrew, Best are all great young players and will be the foundation for that franchise for years to come. Let us hope the same comes true for our Bills.

Can I get an AMEN!

The troubling part about this is they've invested a high pick for a guy who's become a situational player, and one that plays the position which most seamlessly transitions from college to the pros. Gailey was supposed to have found a place for him in this offense, and 2 games in the 9th overall pick has all of 16 touches through 2 games. That's not good enough.

Gailey needs to find a way to get this guy involved, or this becomes a HC problem and not a RB one.

The troubling part about this is they've invested a high pick for a guy who's become a situational player, and one that plays the position which most seamlessly transitions from college to the pros. Gailey was supposed to have found a place for him in this offense, and 2 games in the 9th overall pick has all of 16 touches through 2 games. That's not good enough.

Gailey needs to find a way to get this guy involved, or this becomes a HC problem and not a RB one.

Well...A HC and a GM problem...But I get what you're say for sure... B-)

Really? Really? Now we are mad at the Spiller pick? We sure are a fickle bunch. Preseason we are worshipping him. Two games in to an incompetent offense and we are ready to have him carpool with Maybin?

If the more experienced Marshawn and Freddie can pick up some of the slack while our offense pulls it together, this kid is still going to have an amazing future for us. It isn't quite like Carson Palmer sitting as a rookie, and RBs need to play, but if his load is a little lighter until our offensive line is doing a better job blocking and our passing game is getting rid of the 8 guys in the box, he will be fine.

Everyone is trying to see us as the 0-16 Lions and feeling the pain of two losses (Green Bay was likely to be one of our 5 losses even if we were a miracle 11-5), but I see a few more similarities to the Titans team that started 0-6 last year. I don't think we will go on that kind of run, I don't think we have any Vince Young on our team, and I don't think Spiller compares to Chris Johnson yet.

But also keep in mind Chris Johnson last year during the 0-6 start was under 100 yards in four of the first five, including games of 34 yards and 57 yard. And in the first six games he only carried 20 or more times once.

Bring on the gloom so I can say I told you so, but I think it is very likely Spiller still has a solid year, and we end up with the 5-6 wins most people expected going in to the season.

My one real hope is we see Brohm play, because we know with 100% certainty that we don't want Trent or Fitz as our QB next year, and while it is unlikely we want Brohm, it would be nice to find out. But right now he has to outperform Trent in practice to move in to the #2 spot, and that is difficult, because Trent is very effective at practice speed against the pressure that our second string defense brings. I just hope he gets a shot later in the season that is more than last year's 60 minute audition.

Theory: Since Buddy and Chan know their team stinks, they are in a sense "red shirting" Spiller this year. They'll use Freddie and Lynch and save Spiller's legs for future years.

You red shirt in college because you only have so many years of eligibility. You don't red shirt in the pros - in fact, quite the opposite. The only way you get better is by playing pro ball at a pro levels and that means getting reps against real competitors in real games. Absolutely insane to think that red shirting would get you anything at the pro level.

Then again, maybe C.J., being a rookie, is having problems picking up a blitzing player ..... and God knows, we need all of the help available to protect the QB.

This assumes that the other team actually needs to blitz to get to the QB.

Cornell Green and Meredith (who comes in and plays LT for 5 plays per game and immediately gives up sack) allow most teams to rush three.

I said it when we drafted him and I will say it again.

This was a terrible pick for the Buffalo Bills. Even if he was playing great right now, it was still a back pick.

We desperately needed OL help and one of the best OL in the draft was sitting there for us (Bulaga), but we decided to draft a scat back. We could have taken McCluster in Rd3 and been better off at the position.

Bulaga; Clausen; McCluster - This would have been a much better and smarter draft than Spiller, Troupe, Carrington, none of which are contributing.

Care to elaborate how McCluster, who was taken at #36 overall by KC (round 2 before we picked), would have lasted to our pick in round 3?

This makes me absolutely sick!!!! Why did we draft him then? Why not Bulaga or trade down. If he's so explosive, why not stick him in there. Our drafting is awful. I didn't think it could get worse after Jauron, but it might. It's waaaay to warly to call anyone a bust, but two of our draftees are D-II players! One is a DE then converted to ILB!!!! I wanna jump. Someone pull me back in or shove me off quick!

per rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, coach Chan Gailey now concedes that C.J. Spiller won't play a major offensive role in the short-term.

"He's still going to make a lot of big plays for us in the future," Gailey said. "We just need to get him going on a little slower pace than throwing him in there from the get-go." Spiller is "not sure" if he will player a bigger role this week than last, when he carried the ball just once. Expect him to be used as a situational player with more of an impact in the passing game

Is Best being brought along at a slower pace? Are any of the other 39 rookies starting in the NFL? This just shows me they wasted the #9 pick on a utility player that we will be overpaying for years to come.

Seriously...I swear I'm not one just looking to dump on Gailey and Nix...But this is a complete joke...They could have used that Pick to Trade down and stockpile Picks...And please for the love of God don't give me the the bull about how it takes two teams to Trade and blah, blah, blah...They had that card up there in record time...They did not even try...And now we have a 3rd string RB and Kick Returner for the #9 overall Pick...

This Franchise is...Well...Nevermind... :censored:

:thumbsup: