Spiller to have only small role

BeastMode54

3 out of the last 9 (Modrak's first draft was 2002), but who's counting? The saddest thing is that they seem to have recently come to the conclusion that Lynch is actually a starting-caliber, quality back (which he is). Ugh.

Well, they have taken 4 WRs in the top 100 during Modrak's time here, and only 2 of them are still in the NFL.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills pick in 2005 was the #20 spot. Dallas took DeMarcus Ware with their own pick. Not only that, but we sent 2nd and 5th round picks in the Losman trade up. There was no 3rd rounder involved.

Facts suck.

All of that was from memory, so you'll have to excuse my precision, or lack thereof. Going back and actually looking up the stats, Rodgers went #24 and Ware was selected #11. Point remains, Aaron Rodgers would have fallen to our pick and Green Bay most likely would've selected Losman the year prior (which was why we were determined to move ahead of them). This organization's best bet is to stand pat. Screw moving up and sacrificing 2nd and 3rd round picks to do so!!

Not for nothing, but Aaron Rodgers was a high 1st round pick (#1 if I remember right) and barely sniffed the field until year 4.

Are we Green Bay? No. Is Rodgers a RB? No. Do we suck right now? Yes......but it's not like Gailey said he wasn't going to play at all...olr that we don;t have 2 pretty good other RB's right now....Everyone needs to chill...in a couple of years when we are relevant again you will be all be loving Spiller...

Rodgers is a QB! Rb transition is the easiest from college to the NFL. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Newsflash - CJ Spiller wasn't drafted by Gailey and Nix

He was drafted by the old senile coot that sits in his owner's box and whines that the Bills aren't exciting enough.

We've changed regimes umpteen times and yet still seem to make ill-advised first round RB choices.

There is a reason why no coaching talent even takes a sniff at Buffalo. Why would you join a franchise where the owner is going to make picks for you?

Remember Dwayne Wright the 4th round flier Ralph leaned on the scouts to make? Why with the knowlege that Ralp forced the hand on a 4th rounder do we not understand what is going on here?

I said it when we drafted him and I will say it again.

This was a terrible pick for the Buffalo Bills. Even if he was playing great right now, it was still a back pick.

We desperately needed OL help and one of the best OL in the draft was sitting there for us (Bulaga), but we decided to draft a scat back.

Bulaga was suited for RT or perhaps OG and the scouts/GMs knew it. RTs are easier to get, but of course we don't have one of those. We could have traded back and drafted Bulaga while picking up an extra #2. Instead, we drafted a gadget player who plays a position at which we were deep.

Spiller will have a few dynamic TDs. I am sure of this. People will watch the replays, look at stats, and say he is "good." And they will be correct too, but "good" doesn't cut it after more than a decade of losing game after game. We need a foundation.

Bulaga was suited for RT or perhaps OG and the scouts/GMs knew it. RTs are easier to get, but of course we don't have one of those. We could have traded back and drafted Bulaga while picking up an extra #2. Instead, we drafted a gadget player who plays a position at which we were deep.

Spiller will have a few dynamic TDs. I am sure of this. People will watch the replays, look at stats, and say he is "good." And they will be correct too, but "good" doesn't cut it after more than a decade of losing game after game. We need a foundation.

Excellent GMs are not afraid to draft at a position of strength. The idea in doing so is that the new talent is something special and will be able to play right away. Therefore, it makes the existing talent already on the roster expendable, so it can be moved via trade to address an area of weakness (it's obvious that the Bills certainly have those) with a proven player and more effectively than by reaching in the draft on a project. It is in this last part that the Bills failed to execute. They are apparently either concerned that Spiller is not an every down back, overestimated the market value of Lynch, or just don't get what I just wrote and that they might seriously consider doing more than waiting for good luck to happen.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills