Spiller to have only small role

BeastMode54

This makes me absolutely sick!!!! Why did we draft him then? Why not Bulaga or trade down. If he's so explosive, why not stick him in there. Our drafting is awful. I didn't think it could get worse after Jauron, but it might. It's waaaay to warly to call anyone a bust, but two of our draftees are D-II players! One is a DE then converted to ILB!!!! I wanna jump. Someone pull me back in or shove me off quick!

per rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, coach Chan Gailey now concedes that C.J. Spiller won't play a major offensive role in the short-term.

"He's still going to make a lot of big plays for us in the future," Gailey said. "We just need to get him going on a little slower pace than throwing him in there from the get-go." Spiller is "not sure" if he will player a bigger role this week than last, when he carried the ball just once. Expect him to be used as a situational player with more of an impact in the passing game

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said a long time ago, he needs space to be effective. The "guy who makes plays on his own" and "makes offensive lines better" stuff coming from Nix/Gailey was at best, wishful thinking. He will be used trust me, but it won't be until we have something resembling an offensive line that can give him a fighting chance.

This makes me absolutely sick!!!! Why did we draft him then? Why not Bulaga or trade down. If he's so explosive, why not stick him in there. Our drafting is awful. I didn't think it could get worse after Jauron, but it might. It's waaaay to warly to call anyone a bust, but two of our draftees are D-II players! One is a DE then converted to ILB!!!! I wanna jump. Someone pull me back in or shove me off quick!

per rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, coach Chan Gailey now concedes that C.J. Spiller won't play a major offensive role in the short-term.

"He's still going to make a lot of big plays for us in the future," Gailey said. "We just need to get him going on a little slower pace than throwing him in there from the get-go." Spiller is "not sure" if he will player a bigger role this week than last, when he carried the ball just once. Expect him to be used as a situational player with more of an impact in the passing game

Theory: Since Buddy and Chan know their team stinks, they are in a sense "red shirting" Spiller this year. They'll use Freddie and Lynch and save Spiller's legs for future years.

per rotoworld:

so why even bring it up.

spiller = bust shouldnt even be in the same sentence.

are you off your meds?

You guys don't seem to get it: Marshawn and Freddie are currently better blockers. Spiller had a rough time filling that role, and that's often what rookie backs struggle with the most. Putting him out there makes our play call a little more predictable. When he becomes as good at the blitz pickups as the other two, he'll be getting 15-25 carries I'd bet, and fans can then stop whining and second-guessing the selection.

I said it when we drafted him and I will say it again.

This was a terrible pick for the Buffalo Bills. Even if he was playing great right now, it was still a back pick.

We desperately needed OL help and one of the best OL in the draft was sitting there for us (Bulaga), but we decided to draft a scat back. We could have taken McCluster in Rd3 and been better off at the position.

Bulaga; Clausen; McCluster - This would have been a much better and smarter draft than Spiller, Troupe, Carrington, none of which are contributing.

I think he says this to keep Spiller under wraps and not put undo pressure on him. They're gonna use him alot in the coming weeks i bet. All its going to take is one big run... or catch and run and they will keep him on the field more. It's ridiculous NOT to use him and get him up to speed in the NFL. I'd still use Freddie as the starter though.

You guys don't seem to get it: Marshawn and Freddie are currently better blockers. Spiller had a rough time filling that role, and that's often what rookie backs struggle with the most. Putting him out there makes our play call a little more predictable. When he becomes as good at the blitz pickups as the other two, he'll be getting 15-25 carries I'd bet, and fans can then stop whining and second-guessing the selection.

How is Jahvid Best at blitz pick-ups?

Also, this is exactly the opposite of what Chan said before the first game. He said Spiller is our starting RB week 1. Now the same week that he says we need a spark he says we'll bring CJ along slowly. But I thought CJ was out spark? I like Chan, but he already seems to be in damage control in week 3 of the season, and his play calling doesn't look much better than the previous regimes.

So it looks like the Lions are a better run organization because they have figured out how to get their rookie RB in on the action and we can't. Oi. The Lions.

Maybe it just isn't worth it to converse with suicidal mouth-breathers.

Don't think Spiller was drafted to block. He had a very small role last week and did next to nothing in the opener. If they had Lynch and Jackson and were not going to move either one, why the hell did they draft Spiller 9th? If the OL is so bad, why the hell did they not draft an OL at 9th? If you are rebuilding, where do you start? Offensive line! Consistently bad drafting year after year after year. Not saying Spiller is a bust, he may be great- in a YEAR or TWO. How is it everything the Bills do is wrong? Remember the Seinfeld episode where George did everything the opposite of what his first instinct was? That's what the Bills should have been doing for the last decade.

Edited by kasper13

This was a terrible pick for the Buffalo Bills. Even if he was playing great right now, it was still a back pick.

We desperately needed OL help and one of the best OL in the draft was sitting there for us (Bulaga), but we decided to draft a scat back. We could have taken McCluster in Rd3 and been better off at the position.

Bulaga; Clausen; McCluster - This would have been a much better and smarter draft than Spiller, Troupe, Carrington, none of which are contributing.

really? he rushes 200 yards vs miami. allows trent to make some passes. we blow out miami 35-6

really? he rushes for another 200 yards. allows our d to stay fresh and we win a close one in green bay 28-21

it would still be a bad pick???

hell no!

its not his fault he is not being utilized correctly.

Wasn't McCluster already off the board by the time we drafted in the 3rd round? Could be wrong.

How is Jahvid Best at blitz pick-ups?

Also, this is exactly the opposite of what Chan said before the first game. He said Spiller is our starting RB week 1. Now the same week that he says we need a spark he says we'll bring CJ along slowly. But I thought CJ was out spark? I like Chan, but he already seems to be in damage control in week 3 of the season, and his play calling doesn't look much better than the previous regimes.

So it looks like the Lions are a better run organization because they have figured out how to get their rookie RB in on the action and we can't. Oi. The Lions.

I have no idea, but i do know that they have a healthy and more veteran line in their second season in that offense. Big difference.