Eagles to Start Vick

truth on hold

As someone who supported Vick coming here, it sickens me to hear that Eagles have changed their mind and are starting him over a healthy Kolb.

To get a pro bowler for a mere $1 million or two still in his prime was an absolute steal.

Our QB problems would have been solved by now ... and we'd have the luxury of totally focusing on other areas of need.

Mostly incentives, which means only if hes playing and performing does he get paid.

Vick will make $5.25M this year. He got a $1.5M roster bonus already, and has a $3.75M salary. If they want to re-sign him after the season, it will cost them a pretty penny.

Perhaps his morals slipped a bit but a piece of human garbage? There's far worst people in this world, he's made a big turn around for himself and is proving he can stay out of trouble. Vick isn't the best human being in the world, he's not trash though. Until he messes up again and shows otherwise I'll foot for him. People deserve a second chance in my mind.

I can't agree with Reid's choice but he's the big guy, he's going to make the call in which he feels is best for his team. Vick looked great and brings a lot of things to the table that Kolb can't, they obviously see something in Kolb and he deserves a legit chance to show if he can prove himself.

I think he deserves another chance to prove himself but when you're trying to win games now, I guess that's not a business risk you can take, trying to be fair.

Edited by Bom Trady

Mike,

I'm an animal lover. Had several pets of all kinds growing up ... dogs, cats, rabbits, ducks, turtles, fish, etc. Have had one most of my adult life too. I thought it was absolutely horrible what he did, and I felt awful for the innocent dogs. Ive seen the victim of a forced pit bull fighting, and it's very sad.

But all I can say is the apology speech he made was the most heart felt and honest I've ever seen from an athlete. It was totally ad libbed, not being written by speech writer or lawyer. Im sure it was against the advice of his attorney. I think he was truly sorry for his actions. After that he paid his well earned dues behind bars. Based on that, I was willing to forgive the guy.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Mostly incentives, which means only if hes playing and performing does he get paid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

"The first year of the deal is for $1.6 million with the second-year option worth $5.2 million, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Vick can also earn an additional $3 million in incentives over the two years of the contract, sources told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli."

That's not the Michael Vick that went to jail... Somebody totally reworked him and succeeded...

Whatever became of the Shooting at his Birthday Party, last June?

He said he left before it happened but the security cameras contradict that. Of course the LAWYA says Michael was miles away. (swear up & down)

It seems that even being near a crime scene would violate the terms of his return to the NFL. Even if the NFL is buying the story, Vick's still hanging around with same people as before.

Should he even be playing?

The more film a team has on Vick, the less effective Vick becomes. The Eagles will learn the lesson the Falcons did.

I wasn't a big fan of Vick to Buffalo. Not due to his personal transgressions, but that once you figure him out, he's very one-dimensional. The Lions had about a half a game of Vick to study. Vick hadn't played any meanigful, consistent down after down football in over two years.

Now teams have an entire game of Vick to watch. Things will be different.

Just like Seattle. Everyone was saying how awesome Seattle was after Week 1. That's because there was no film on Carroll or any of his assistants, and preseason is all vanilla packages and coverages.

Denver had a week to study his game, and made the adjustments.

This time next week, Philly fans will be waiting in line for the Kolbwagon or in full panic.

Edited by dpberr

Guest dog14787

As someone who supported Vick coming here, it sickens me to hear that Eagles have changed their mind and are starting him over a healthy Kolb.

To get a pro bowler for a mere $1 million or two still in his prime was an absolute steal.

Our QB problems would have been solved by now ... and we'd have the luxury of totally focusing on other areas of need.

It does bother me to Joe,

what kind of team would we have had if we kept TO(can't believe I'm saying that) and brought Mike Vick in, OMG, can you imagine what we could be watching right now with the Bills.

Not to mention the friggin media frenzy

what kind of team would we have had if we kept TO(can't believe I'm saying that) and brought Mike Vick in, OMG, can you imagine what we could be watching right now with the Bills.

Dog,

I think Vick is a complete scum bag for what he did! That being said he paid his debt and it is time to move on..... And Yes it would be a high powered offense with a lot of scoring... Imagine If we had a pas rushing LB too, but I digress we are who we thought we were...

The guy is a piece of human garbage. I don't care how good of a QB he might be.

I'd rather the Bills lose every game then start signing the bottom of the human barrel.

ditto on that...it'd be like selling your soul to the devil....and it's not like he's ever been more than an average QB...get some more game film on him and he'll crash back to Earth

Perhaps his morals slipped a bit but a piece of human garbage? There's far worst people in this world, he's made a big turn around for himself and is proving he can stay out of trouble. Vick isn't the best human being in the world, he's not trash though. Until he messes up again and shows otherwise I'll foot for him. People deserve a second chance in my mind.

I can't agree with Reid's choice but he's the big guy, he's going to make the call in which he feels is best for his team. Vick looked great and brings a lot of things to the table that Kolb can't, they obviously see something in Kolb and he deserves a legit chance to show if he can prove himself.

I think he deserves another chance to prove himself but when you're trying to win games now, I guess that's not a business risk you can take, trying to be fair.

He's a sex offender and also spent 6 years torturing and killing dogs, some of which were taken off the streets...their families never knew what happened to them. His favorite phrase seems to be "It's unfortunate this happened to me." That's something said by someone who believes himself to be a victim, not someone who's remorseful in the least and that's the biggest issue as far as I'm concerned...his lack of genuine remorse.

Whatever became of the Shooting at his Birthday Party, last June?

He said he left before it happened but the security cameras contradict that. Of course the LAWYA says Michael was miles away. (swear up & down)

It seems that even being near a crime scene would violate the terms of his return to the NFL. Even if the NFL is buying the story, Vick's still hanging around with same people as before.

Should he even be playing?

No, he shouldn't be but Goodell is coddling him since he came back to the league, the same commissioner who was supposed to be tough on the troublemakers. Guess Goodell just wants to pretend that allowing this convicted felon back in the league wasn't as stupid an idea that many of us knew it would be.

Vick is not a good human being based on his body of work, but he can do some good things on a football field if he's utilized correctly. We've all worked with plenty of jerks. The Eagles have obviously decided that Vick's history doesn't disrupt the team enough not to take that gamble, and he's obviously reconciled with them enough to win their confidence on the field.

Guest dog14787

Dog,

I think Vick is a complete scum bag for what he did! That being said he paid his debt and it is time to move on..... And Yes it would be a high powered offense with a lot of scoring... Imagine If we had a pas rushing LB too, but I digress we are who we thought we were...

and you know GR8 My biggest beef with TO was dissing Trent Edwards, to me that was something you just don't do to your starter,but turns out TO was correct,

Gailey/Nix probably came in here thinking the same thing, TO is going to cause problems,

When in truth TO probably just wanted a QB that would throw him the damn ball, I mean that is all TO ever wants, and can you blame him.

Edited by dog14787

HAHAHAHA! I KNEW IT...WHO TOLD YOU MICHEAL VICK WAS A GREAT QB...WHO TOLD YOU HE'D BE BACK TO FORM...I F*CKING TOLD ALL YOU...HAHAHAHA!... If it makes some of you lames ass*s feel better to say "aww he's a piece of trash" or "he's a sex offender" or "he's a dog killer" or "he's still a felon" please say whatever you need to because your perfect, you never did anything wrong your whole life...If you can't notice **** NEWS FLASH *** NOBODY GIVES A SH*T . Mike apologized, he did his time and lost everything after all that to comeback and still play at a higher level is awesome. What you say negative about him makes him a better player and person. So please keep saying that sh*t it only makes him better its great motivation. Damn only if he was a bill we wouldn't look so got damn sorry...id take him over every qb we have on the roster and freaking practice squad. Mike had something to prove to everyone and he's gonna piss all the haters off with his great play...MARK IT DOWN!

Thank You to all the VICK bashers out there you guys are the bestest and I mean that! :thumbsup:

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

ditto on that...it'd be like selling your soul to the devil....and it's not like he's ever been more than an average QB...get some more game film on him and he'll crash back to Earth

He's a sex offender and also spent 6 years torturing and killing dogs, some of which were taken off the streets...their families never knew what happened to them. His favorite phrase seems to be "It's unfortunate this happened to me." That's something said by someone who believes himself to be a victim, not someone who's remorseful in the least and that's the biggest issue as far as I'm concerned...his lack of genuine remorse.

No, he shouldn't be but Goodell is coddling him since he came back to the league, the same commissioner who was supposed to be tough on the troublemakers. Guess Goodell just wants to pretend that allowing this convicted felon back in the league wasn't as stupid an idea that many of us knew it would be.

WOW every time Vick is mention you have so much negativity to say! Are you heaven sent or something let me guess you never brought harm to a living thing! The guy made dumb decision !@#$ let it go. I have never seen a person so relentless to judge another. If Vick was on this team you would secretly !@#$ing love it especially if he brought wins to the table. Face the facts as others have and get the hell over it the guy paid his debts! And did you also mention he was a sex offender?? We are talkin about your man crush Vick still not Big Ben..

I'd rather the Bills lose every game then start signing the bottom of the human barrel.

Looks like you will be getting your wish. Enjoy the season...

I wanted Vick last year absolutely. the NFL is not a bunch of choirboys, these are nasty guys by and large. you don't wanna know what half of these guys are doing in their spare time, believe me.

:thumbsup:

HAHAHAHA! I KNEW IT...WHO TOLD YOU MICHEAL VICK WAS A GREAT QB...WHO TOLD YOU HE'D BE BACK TO FORM...I F*CKING TOLD ALL YOU...HAHAHAHA!... If it makes some of you lames ass*s feel better to say "aww he's a piece of trash" or "he's a sex offender" or "he's a dog killer" or "he's still a felon" please say whatever you need to because your perfect, you never did anything wrong your whole life...If you can't notice **** NEWS FLASH *** NOBODY GIVES A SH*T . Mike apologized, he did his time and lost everything after all that to comeback and still play at a higher level is awesome. What you say negative about him makes him a better player and person. So please keep saying that sh*t it only makes him better its great motivation. Damn only if he was a bill we wouldn't look so got damn sorry...id take him over every qb we have on the roster and freaking practice squad. Mike had something to prove to everyone and he's gonna piss all the haters off with his great play...MARK IT DOWN!

Thank You to all the VICK bashers out there you guys are the bestest and I mean that! :thumbsup:

Wow. This really says A LOT about you. What, did you get banned once? Shouldn't be long till it happens again. And just so you know, I'm sure most of have done things wrong but I'm pretty sure most of us haven't tortured animals. It's despicable. And so is your love for him. go have his baby.

I'm sorry but if you read the accounts of what actually went on it was much more than just "dog fighting". Witnesses have stated that Vick drowned dogs, shot others to death and some were beaten to death with a shovel. These are acts of outright cruelty not some misguided sporting event. The type of stuff usually reserved for Hollywood "B" movies. What type of individual drowns a dog?

He may have apologized and served his time but the fact remains that he eagerly participated in that cruelty and I believe that he'd still be doing it if he wasn't caught.

No thanks, I don't want to win that badly.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I'm sorry but if you read the accounts of what actually went on it was much more than just "dog fighting". Witnesses have stated that Vick drowned dogs, shot others to death and some were beaten to death with a shovel. These are acts of outright cruelty not some misguided sporting event. The type of stuff usually reserved for Hollywood "B" movies. What type of individual drowns a dog?

He may have apologized and served his time but the fact remains that he eagerly participated in that cruelty and I believe that he'd still be doing it if he wasn't caught.

No thanks, I don't want to win that badly.

+1

He did his time and deserves another chance at life and, as far as I'm concerned, football as well. However, paying the price does not make one a good person, it only means you've been punished. And deserving another chance to do right doesn't obligate me to hope the best for you.

Vick is human excrement. He's fun to watch on TV, and that's all he has going for him. He can go to hell and die for all I care.

Edited by Rob's House

Your right. Not exactly how I would have put it and I fear your accurate message will be lost in the delivery. Not going after talent like Vick is exactly why we have stunk for so long. No he isn't squeaky clean but the guy is a difference maker.

I used to bang it like a drum in another forum that you don't make your team better by not paying players and letting your best people go!!! We give away probowlers and stars to other teams for draft picks. Our front office couldn't pick a booger. We constantly miss in the draft and get people like Trent Edwards, Donte Whitner, Aaron Maybin, Poz. Guys that are no better than backups, average starters or can't even stay healthy enough to stay on the field. Those are just the guys that play(ed) for us. Don't get me started on the Mike Williams and John McCargos!!!!

That's right I called out Poz. Sorry the fan favorite "hope" is so over hyped it is ridiculous. London Fletcher the guy he replaced is still better than Poz and Fletcher CAN STAY HEALTHY! If people have forgotten we actually traded UP in the draft to get Poz. What a waste of resources.

Marv Levy was NOT a good GM but he did say something smart. "Sometimes the best free agents you can sign are your own." Our OL is like babys being mauled by tigers and our DL has no more ferocity than new born kittens. LBs? Can't stay healthy and are ill suited to play the 3 - 4 in pass coverage.

What's sickening are his career stats.

If that sickens you you should be in the hospital from looking at Edwards stats!!!

QBs that were drafted that are considered the elite (currently, and in no particular order except for Peyton and Mcnabb)

Peyton Manning

Donovan McNabb (Eagles career)

Phillip Rivers

Ben Rothlisberger

Carson Palmer

Bom Trady ( I like that one... saw it somewhere on this board)

Eli Manning (Even though his stats are barely better than JP's, and I don't personally think he is very good)

Matt Hasselbeck

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Notice something about that list? If you guessed all playoff teams you'd be right.

You seem to have left these guys off of the list

Drew Brees

Brad Johnson

Kurt Warner

Brett Favre

Notice something about this list? They were all free agents or traded. What else do you notice about this list? They all won superbowls. The list is considerably longer if we remove the superbowl winner restriction.

Edited by PDaDdy

Mike Vick is a successful and competent NFL QB. VASTLY better than anything we've had recently. I don't understand the vitriol and the lack of forgiveness that I've seen towards him. There are many individuals in the NFL who have done way worse and essentially are given a free pass. Just because it involves dogs? I don't get it. Well maybe it's because I'm a cat person.

Especially given the cost to acquire him I would have taken him an a NY second. He'll be way more expensive now, but I'd still take him next year while looking for/grooming a long term replacement. Especially since our OL isn't so hot, he'll make them look better.

Vick apologists ironically like to call others "self-righteous" all the while pretending they care more about human life than others...always quick to say that driving drunk is worse because it hurts HUMANS - why haven't I seen more venom from them directed at Braylan Edwards?

re: football - weird move. Why did they trade McNabb if they want to win now? Makes no sense. All because he played well for a half against a prevent D, and a Lions team that gave up 30pts/game last year. Kolb coming back against a bad defense on the road would've been perfect too. Something tells me when he comes back it'll be against a sick D at home so the lovable Philly fans can boo him after 1 series.

Mike,

I'm an animal lover. Had several pets of all kinds growing up ... dogs, cats, rabbits, ducks, turtles, fish, etc. Have had one most of my adult life too. I thought it was absolutely horrible what he did, and I felt awful for the innocent dogs. Ive seen the victim of a forced pit bull fighting, and it's very sad.

But all I can say is the apology speech he made was the most heart felt and honest I've ever seen from an athlete. It was totally ad libbed, not being written by speech writer or lawyer. Im sure it was against the advice of his attorney. I think he was truly sorry for his actions. After that he paid his well earned dues behind bars. Based on that, I was willing to forgive the guy.

it's a little hard to believe that someone who killed dogs basically for fun, changed who he is after getting caught. i'd keep an open mind if i ever met him, but i don't miss the fact i don't have to try and root for him. rooting so hard for for guys who make million and don't care about you is silly enough when you think about it, so i'd prefer to do so with guys i at least think are decent human beings.

Vick apologists ironically like to call others "self-righteous" all the while pretending they care more about human life than others...always quick to say that driving drunk is worse because it hurts HUMANS - why haven't I seen more venom from them directed at Braylan Edwards?

Yes the haters are self righteous. Remember what the "good book" says? "No one is above forgiveness." Remember that part? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give me the tired line about how you don't believe his apology or he wasn't sincere. That is a BS cop out and YOU KNOW IT! All it is is a loop hole in your moral self righteousness that allows you to sit on your thrown of judgment and scream about what everyone is doing wrong but not actually having to forgive anyone.

Anyhow lumping people together is never a good way to go. But the people that feel human life is more important like myself are not out picketing drunk drivers either. Braylon Edwards is an idiot. Donte Stallworth is a murderer. You don't have to scream it from a mountain top and take days off from work to go picket when you see something you don't like. There needs to be a measure of public outcry but most don't take it to the wacko extreme of some that can't get past mistakes, BAD mistakes, that people make and can't shut up about it, move on and forgive after a guy has lost everything and is just trying to go back to work and live his life.

Moral argument aside, this move really surprises me. Eagles have spent several seasons setting Kolb up to be McNabb's successor and have paid him pretty well to be a backup under the pretense that he's being "groomed." Now they trade their future Pro Bowl QB away so that they can finally get some return on investment from Kolb, and they give him 10 passes before pulling the plug on the whole thing? Really?

Personally, I'm not convinced that Kolb is a franchise QB, but Philly has consistently maintained that he was. To throw that away at this point is baffling. Add on the fact that Vick has an incentive-laden contract and if he continues to start, then he will hit his escalators win or lose and Philly will return to paying two guys starting QB type salaries.

I don't get it.

Edited by MattyT

Yes the haters are self righteous. Remember what the "good book" says? "No one is above forgiveness." Remember that part? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give me the tired line about how you don't believe his apology or he wasn't sincere. That is a BS cop out and YOU KNOW IT! All it is is a loop hole in your moral self righteousness that allows you to sit on your thrown of judgment and scream about what everyone is doing wrong but not actually having to forgive anyone.

Anyhow lumping people together is never a good way to go. But the people that feel human life is more important like myself are not out picketing drunk drivers either. Braylon Edwards is an idiot. Donte Stallworth is a murderer. You don't have to scream it from a mountain top and take days off from work to go picket when you see something you don't like. There needs to be a measure of public outcry but most don't take it to the wacko extreme of some that can't get past mistakes, BAD mistakes, that people make and can't shut up about it, move on and forgive after a guy has lost everything and is just trying to go back to work and live his life.

I don't take days of and picket either. Excellent straw-man about a tiny % of people you see on tv.

I just know "morally superior", "self-righteous" and all these neat catch-phrases were used in the other thread. Yet yesterday and today I don't hear anyone in the Vick camp (either in the media or on message boards) lashing out at Edwards - it's pretty obvious their claim about valuing humans more than the "tree huggers" is just something they pull out of their @ss to make a fictitious point for argument's sake.

Mike Francessa (who does not share your opinion of Mr. Vick) appears to be on his own in blasting Edwards today for a solid hour+.

Edited by BuffOrange

Moral argument aside, this move really surprises me. Eagles have spent several seasons setting Kolb up to be McNabb's successor and have paid him pretty well to be a backup under the pretense that he's being "groomed." Now they trade their future Pro Bowl QB away so that they can finally get some return on investment from Kolb, and they give him 10 passes before pulling the plug on the whole thing? Really?

Personally, I'm not convinced that Kolb is a franchise QB, but Philly has consistently maintained that he was. To throw that away at this point is baffling. Add on the fact that Vick has an incentive-laden contract and if he continues to start, then he will hit his escalators win or lose and Philly will return to paying two guys starting QB type salaries.

I don't get it.

The answer is that obvious. Despite the haters judgmental cries Vick is that good. He was a probowler before he lost it all and he didn't even dedicate himself and study to do it. NOW you have an incredibly gifted game changing athlete who has apparently started turning his life around and dedicating himself to his work. That is a dangerous combination.

I don't take days of and picket either. Excellent straw-man about a tiny % of people you see on tv.

I just know "morally superior", "self-righteous" and all these neat catch-phrases were used in the other thread. Yet yesterday and today I don't hear anyone in the Vick camp (either in the media or on message boards) lashing out at Edwards - it's pretty obvious their claim about valuing humans more than the "tree huggers" is just something they pull out of their @ss to make a fictitious point for argument's sake.

Mike Francessa (who does not share your opinion of Mr. Vick) appears to be on his own in blasting Edwards today for a solid hour+.

You know why those catch phrases are neat?....Because they hit the nail on the head ;) Unlike you.....many people don't feel the need to lash out. I don't lash out at drunk drivers, I don't lash out at reformed dog killers, I don't lash out at many people at all. You are not making any sense when it comes to how people should act in support of their beliefs. Whether they chose to take action vocally of physically isn't a true measure of their resolve. Some people can have incredibly strong opinions but have learned to keep them to themselves and stop whining about what they think everyone else has done wrong.

Are you complaining that not enough people are calling Edwards an idiot if they value human life, which he did not take, to a dogs? I don't get it. This thread was about the Eagles decided to make the starter going forward.

Edited by PDaDdy

You know why those catch phrases are neat?....Because they hit the nail on the head ;) Unlike you.....many people don't feel the need to lash out. I don't lash out at drunk drivers, I don't lash out at reformed dog killers, I don't lash out at many people at all. You are not making any sense when it comes to how people should act in support of their beliefs. Whether they chose to take action vocally of physically isn't a true measure of their resolve. Some people can have incredibly strong opinions but have learned to keep them to themselves and stop whining about what they think everyone else has done wrong.

You don't lash out at drunk drivers or *reformed* dog killers; but instead whine about those that express disgust at dog killers and drunk drivers. How noble of you and your impeccable biblical resolve. Awesome.

You don't lash out at drunk drivers or *reformed* dog killers; but instead whine about those that express disgust at dog killers and drunk drivers. How noble of you and your impeccable biblical resolve. Awesome.

Meta-whining if you will. Whining about whiners. Get over it. He screwed up. He was a piece of dog crap for his actions. He sincerely apologized. He lost the millions of dollars that he had. Served his jail time and wants to go back to work. Get over it!!!!! It is your crowd that won't let it go.

We are here talking football and how a really effective and gifted athlete could help this team and you losers keep whining about how he screwed up a few years ago. Let it go!!!!! You clowns don't seem to understand that moving on and accepting his apology do not condone his actions in the past. He has been punished, quite severely in fact.

How long would you continue to punish him? Until he is too old to play football? *sheesh* Quit yer bitching.

Hey buddy, I'm throwing a party at my house when Vick breaks his leg or tears his ACL. I want you to be my guest of honor! But you have to have a college degree to get in the door....is that going to be a problem? :lol: