Three MAJOR concerns about new policies at The Ralph

Flutie Flakes

Thank you for posting this as I was planning on doing it this morning.

Paul Bouchard is the keeper of the "Batavia Party Zone" sign and his step daughter Bailey and her friends along with her mom and Paul were sitting two rows in front of us and were what originally prompted my blog on this subject. Bailey could not have expressed what occurred at the opener any better. :thumbsup:

I love this site! Thank you all for the support. GO BILLS!

Now the question is: Do the Bills do anything about all of this?

My guess is "no".

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said ... well said

I just do not get this no standing rule ... Good or bad it is q part of the fan experience.

Next up will be cheering too loud bc it might hurt the kids' ears and make them scared. Its a NFL football game not the opera, some people need to understand that. This is not a problem unique to Buffalo either.

ah yes, the old stand vs sit debate, just like every other season...

personally i believe that you pay for your seat, not a spot to stand. there are plenty of appropriate times to jump/stand up, but it shouldn't be a prolonged or fulltime thing. in that case you are just being a self-centered, narcissistic dick to everyone behind you. and frankly, its not like the Bills have given us anything to be that excited about anyways. big plays, sure stand on up. but otherwise, dont make everyone else have to figure out a way to see the game around you.

i should also note that for 20 years, my father and i were the loudest, most rabid fans in our section. we screamed our butts off back when the stadium was known as the "house of noise" and the refs were throwing flags for the crowd being too loud. but we also had respect for the other people around us as well. that's probably why there was never any security problems where we say, and also why everyone around us knows each other outside of the games like family.

it IS possible to have a fun, crazy time and not be a dick about it. think about others around you.

Edited by DrDankenstein

when we go 3-out multiple times and the opponents are driving down the field slowly, do you really have to stand? It's not like theres anything exciting going on down there that you're gonna miss if you sit. If you want to stand, go back a little ways so those who want to sit in the seats they paid for can enjoy the game just like you are.

when we go 3-out multiple times and the opponents are driving down the field slowly, do you really have to stand? It's not like theres anything exciting going on down there that you're gonna miss if you sit. If you want to stand, go back a little ways so those who want to sit in the seats they paid for can enjoy the game just like you are.

Ahhh but you see, that's when you have to stand, scream, beat on the seats, blast the vuvuzelas (if they were allowed). 12th man stuff.

Ahhh but you see, that's when you have to stand, scream, beat on the seats, blast the vuvuzelas (if they were allowed). 12th man stuff.

lol

"If I'm not standing, how is Trent going to be able to toss a no-look, over his should pass out of bounds before he gets sacked for a 15 yard loss?!?!"

lol

"If I'm not standing, how is Trent going to be able to toss a no-look, over his should pass out of bounds before he gets sacked for a 15 yard loss?!?!"

yes, when your offense is on the field you have to be as loud as humanly possible to make it so the defenders can't hear the audibles and the snap count, right??

What has happened is that fans now need to get obliterated before the game to have any fun because the team is BORING!! The parking lots are people 18-30 years old, getting smashed. Ralph can solve some of these issues by putting a good team on the field - then fans might want to be semi-conscious for the game.

The standing rule? Yeah, I get why older fans/kids don't like people standing. But football has changed - it's turning more and more into a rock concert type of experience. Nobody sits at rock concerts, even if there are seats. It now is at the point, like it or not, where standing throughout the game is expected.

It's all about the money. It's that simple - every decision the NFL makes is, at it's root, a money decision. That is why the "game" that so many of us have grown up loving is becoming less and less enjoyable - contract disputes, liscencing, cost of games - I read an interesting line the other day, it went something like this: "These athletes (football players) don't get nearly as worked up over a loss as the fans do. It's a passionate thing to the fans; the fans live football year round, think it, talk it, live for it - to some degree or other - and these players see it as a job (most of them). They come in to work, get their checks, go to work, play the game on sunday, win or lose they go back to their lives." It's all we have, but I think there will come a time when the fans get pushed too far and - maybe it'll be like WWF Wrestling by then - so mindless it doesn't matter, I don't know...

It's all about the money. It's that simple - every decision the NFL makes is, at it's root, a money decision. That is why the "game" that so many of us have grown up loving is becoming less and less enjoyable - contract disputes, liscencing, cost of games - I read an interesting line the other day, it went something like this: "These athletes (football players) don't get nearly as worked up over a loss as the fans do. It's a passionate thing to the fans; the fans live football year round, think it, talk it, live for it - to some degree or other - and these players see it as a job (most of them). They come in to work, get their checks, go to work, play the game on sunday, win or lose they go back to their lives." It's all we have, but I think there will come a time when the fans get pushed too far and - maybe it'll be like WWF Wrestling by then - so mindless it doesn't matter, I don't know...

which is why I stand by my statement that the second Buffalo were to ever lose the Bills, I would be partly relieved because I'd never have to watch an NFL game again. I'd stick to only college ball, where football is football and the players care about their team.

be on the lookout for a piece i'm writing on Kenny's tailgate. the first (short) version was just filed to my editors. i'm still in the midst of completing a much longer and extensive version into what's happening.

jw

That's great to hear! We need every possible help we can get to stop the NFL from killing tailgating.

here's the link to the full piece.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=11657262

jw

I guess the new fan code of conduct must have worked well at the Ralph this past game because there was no article listing the arrests, ejections, etc. in the news this week! Could you ask Scotty B. Why not?

I guess the new fan code of conduct must have worked well at the Ralph this past game because there was no article listing the arrests, ejections, etc. in the news this week! Could you ask Scotty B. Why not?

There were 4 DWI arrests and 76 traffic tickets....

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/police-courts/police-blotter/article188871.ece

Regarding the Batavia Party Zone issue -

When I watched the KC game Sunday night, I noticed only one "fan" small banner on the lower stadium wall. Perhaps the NFL did put in a new regulation prohibiting banners in that portion of the stadium. It's the only portion that's seen during game action, as opposed to a special shot. Maybe some NFL pencil pusher decided that it therefore constituted "free advertising" and decided to prohibit it league wide.

I usually have some groups of people behind me (sec. 126) complaining about people standing for inordinate amounts of time. Not about me of course (too buzzed and tired to stand all game anyway, even if i wanted too) and i do see their point. No one is complaining about getting on their feet during defensive 3rd downs or td runs, just dont stand the whole game; there's no point

I usually have some groups of people behind me (sec. 126) complaining about people standing for inordinate amounts of time. Not about me of course (too buzzed and tired to stand all game anyway, even if i wanted too) and i do see their point. No one is complaining about getting on their feet during defensive 3rd downs or td runs, just dont stand the whole game; there's no point

That about sums it up. Simply put, don't be a dick. For every dude that wants to stand the whole time, there's a guy that doesn't. If someone stands for a while, let it slide. If someone tells you to sit down? That's cool too. Enjoy the game, drink a few beers, and just don't be a dick. Find a common ground with your section and relax.

As far as the new regulations go. Meh. Again, for every person that wants to funnel whiskey in the lot there's someone who wants to drink a nice cup of hot cocoa in a fuzzy cardigan. If you want to do the former, just go up a block and park at a private lot. If you've got your panties in wad and that type of thing bothers you? Lighten up a bit and just let 'em have fun (unless they barf all over you, then you can punch them in the face).

Edit.. if you happen to be seated behind Patriots fans, the proper thing to do in that situation is pour beer on them. If you're in front of Patriots fans, you should stand the whole time regardless of age or medical condition. If you happen to be next to one, it's your choice. Pick something good.

Edited by mcjeff215

here's the link to the full piece.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=11657262

jw

Thanks for getting the NFL to confirm that they intend to sanitize the game experience. (Goodell's final solution?) Heard alot of kvetching on Boston sports radio today by fans who were told at Gillette Stadium Sunday that they weren't allowed to stand while cheering.

Tom Brady complained about fans leaving their game early. Seems to me that if you make the price of tickets so high & crackdown on exhuberant behavior, then you end up with prima donna prissypants who would rather beat traffic than stick around for an entire game.

Clearly the league doesn't give a crap about alienating the long-time loyal fans.

Edit.. if you happen to be seated behind Patriots fans, the proper thing to do in that situation is pour beer on them. If you're in front of Patriots fans, you should stand the whole time regardless of age or medical condition. If you happen to be next to one, it's your choice. Pick something good.

:thumbsup:

Did the bills ever call Paul about the sign?

I saw Paul this morning for coffee and he has been contacted by someone from the Bills organization along with a sportswriter from the Buffalo News. He will be calling the guy from the Bills back on Monday as they have been playing phone tag.

Hopefully they will come to their senses about the hanging of signs in the stadium. If they are concerned about their content, they can simply view them, put some sort of permanent seal that marks them as an approved sign by the Buffalo Bills and Ralph Wilson Stadium and allow them to be hung. Paul's "Batavia Party Zone" sign hangs in a spot that does not cover any of the graphics along the wall.

When I hear back from Paul this week, I will post up the update.