Season ticket base dropped by over 11,000

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense. With the onfield performance and the general economic pessimism facing the entire country, just not WNY, that number does not surprise me. It is hard for a lot of families to justify the expense of season tickets when there is much uncertainty surrounding their jobs, etc.

The TO factor? Ridiculous. I would say higher ticket prices, terrible economy and a continually bad losing team. I'm hearing people say the gameday experience has gone downhill as well. Still sold 43,925 season tickets. Not too bad. Attendance across the entire NFL is expected to be at its lowest total since the mid-90's. I think more people are investing in big screen HD TV's and Sunday Ticket. Used to be able to do both now it's one or the other. If the Bills were a playoff team, it wouldn't be a discussion, they'd easily sell 55,000 season tickets.

I didn't see it posted here.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article183166.ece

The only thing surprising is that it didn't drop even further. When you figure in the following facts:

1. The economy sucks everywhere.

2. The Bills have sucked for over a decade.

3. The Bills made no "exciting" pickups during the offseason to give it a shot in the arm (like T.O. last season).

4. Even though it might (hopefully) turn out to be a good move in the long term, the signing of the current Head Coach and GM did nothing at all to excite anyone, in fact it probably cost the team ticket sales.

5. Did I say the team has sucked for over a decade?

Economy. People are spending their money a lot more carefully and looking for value. As to the value part, we've lost a lot of players, have new but not exciting coaches, are not predicted to be doing very well...so I think we should not be surprised.

That being said, I think we will pick up on the single game tickets as we win some games. I suspect we'll have more than our share of sell-outs...if we win.

What matters more is actual game day attendance. If the games sell out, or come close, the season ticket figures mean nothing.

Game day attendance is down league wide, and has been the topic of popular sports radio shows like Colin Cow-turd and Jim Rome. Basically they said the economy sucks, the ticket prices keep going up, and the gameday experience is simply better at home on a 60 inch LCD 1080p TV where you can eat whatever you want, drink as much as you want, and not have to worry about some guy behind you yelling profanities every other play or puking on you.

Some valid points. 1080p has changed everything...its almost like you are on the field the picture is so clear. Clearly the NFL needs to come up with something special for the in-stadium people that can't be had on TV. They bandied about having something like NASCAR where you hear the pitcrews and driver talking. Said they should have the playcalls and coaches talking to each other being heard by the fans, even if it was on a 5 or 10 second delay. Sounds cool, but the I wonder if the owners would go for it?

Another factor is, overall, a really crappy home schedule with the Jags, Lions and Browns. The Steelers is an automatic sellout as they travel well.

The divisional games should sell well, as should the Steelers and Browns because of regional interest. The Jags and Lions could be really poorly attended.

All the reasons stated above make sense... (economy, no marquee players, no play offs, blah blah blah) but I am curious - do the BILLS advertise in Western/Central NY and Southern Ontario? You might argue that the Bills already have a known presence, etc but...

I was in Miami/Fort Lauderdale this past weekend and the Dolphins are advertising everywhere; even @ the beach they had planes pulling aerial advertisements pushing ticket sales.

The divisional games should sell well, as should the Steelers and Browns because of regional interest. The Jags and Lions could be really poorly attended.

Ya think? Colombus Day weather sure is great in WNY. :thumbsup:

I am thinking that if Spiller breaks a long one or 2, this game will sell out, but who knows?

...The Jags and Lions could be really poorly attended.

I was very close to not renewing and decided to do it at the last minute. I have been able to scalp my tix to the Fins and Steelers games for OK $ but not near the demand as in previous years but, IMO, it is a reflection on the economy. But I will be attending the Lions and Jax games. Initially, I picked the Lions because I wanted to have a decent chance to see a win. But I used that same logic when I selected the Browns game last year. :wallbash:

I don't know (he says with more than a hint of sarcasm), based on the power rankings the Jags and Lions are poised to become juggernauts! :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, as one earlier poster noted, selling more that 40K season tickets is not too shabby given the economy and the team's recent history of mediocrity.

Also, IF the Bills start strong out of the gate, individual ticket sales for even the Jags and Lions should do well.

Yet the Miami game is sold out with tickets going for $100+ on StubHub. Bills fans are just being cautious. If the Bills look good they will show up in droves. If they are 2-1 coming into the Jets game people will be climbing the fences to get back into RWS.

PTR

With all due respect to some of you who brought up the economy, do you really think that if the Bills were coming off a 10-6 season last year and we won at least one playoff game that there would be any (ANY) hesitation by these fans to buy the crap out of those tickets and sellout the whole season?

...this is definitely NOT one of those scenarios where "its the economy, stupid!".

Yet the Miami game is sold out with tickets going for $100+ on StubHub. Bills fans are just being cautious. If the Bills look good they will show up in droves. If they are 2-1 coming into the Jets game people will be climbing the fences to get back into RWS.

PTR

I agree. Most Bills fans who did not buy seasons this year are looking for a reason to buy tickets. If the Bills can give them one, a seat at the Ralph could be a hard thing to come by mid to late season.

Makes sense. With the onfield performance and the general economic pessimism facing the entire country, just not WNY, that number does not surprise me. It is hard for a lot of families to justify the expense of season tickets when there is much uncertainty surrounding their jobs, etc.

economic pessimism "REALITY" facing "EXISTING IN" the entire country, just not WNY,

Every team is going to lose money this year. No NFL team is going to make money in this nightmare of an economy. Not this year. Not with the middle class essentially tapped out financially or unemployed.

Be happy that the Bills will weather the storm better than some of their counterparts, regardless of on the field performance.