Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

I guess you would have to be rated to be considered overrated....so I'm not sure if Nickelback qualifies......

The Pretenders are probably the most overrated as they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and their breakout hit was a Kinks cover. Some nice songs, but really, was Chrissy Hynde really a more seminal artist than Annie Lennox or even Pat Benetar.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you would have to be rated to be considered overrated....so I'm not sure if Nickelback qualifies......

The Pretenders are probably the most overrated as they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and their breakout hit was a Kinks cover. Some nice songs, but really, was Chrissy Hynde really a more seminal artist than Annie Lennox or even Pat Benetar.

I don't consider Stop Your Sobbing their breakout hit. It was Brass in Pocket.

I don't consider Stop Your Sobbing their breakout hit. It was Brass in Pocket.

I seem to remember Martha Quinn touting the first one. Blah.

Although Brass in Pocket and Chain Gang and some other songs stand up, If you had to throw one act out of the Rock and Roll hall of fame I would throw out the Pretenders.

Although Brass in Pocket and Chain Gang and some other songs stand up, If you had to throw one act out of the Rock and Roll hall of fame I would throw out the Pretenders.

In fairness to The Pretenders, they did lay down Rush Limbaugh's theme music.

I just look at it like Reagan using "Born In The USA" :lol:

Also:

Raygun's campaign wanted to use "Pink Houses" and was flat out told "no" by Mellonhead.

:D

How did he end up using such a far far left liberal's music, anyway?

Same thing with Palin using "Barracuda"... Didn't Heart put an end to it?

About The Boss, I think he tried to stay ambiguous early on...

About The Boss, I think he tried to stay ambiguous early on...

I don't know how early on you are talking, but the Reagan thing is more of a myth as far as I'm concerned. He never mentioned BIUSA:

On September 19, 1984, at a campaign stop in Hammonton, New Jersey, Reagan added the following to his usual stump speech:

"America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside your hearts; it rests in the message of hope in songs so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen. And helping you make those dreams come true is what this job of mine is all about."

So, I saw Bruce at the Aud 5 days later, and distinctly remember him hammering Reagan. I've seen clips of him in Pittsburgh in between the 19th and the 24th, where he plays Johnny 99 and says I wonder if this is Ronny's favorite song........I am a Bruce fanatic, but I think he's totally wrong on Reagan, then and now.

I don't know how early on you are talking, but the Reagan thing is more of a myth as far as I'm concerned. He never mentioned BIUSA:

On September 19, 1984, at a campaign stop in Hammonton, New Jersey, Reagan added the following to his usual stump speech:

"America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside your hearts; it rests in the message of hope in songs so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen. And helping you make those dreams come true is what this job of mine is all about."

So, I saw Bruce at the Aud 5 days later, and distinctly remember him hammering Reagan. I've seen clips of him in Pittsburgh in between the 19th and the 24th, where he plays Johnny 99 and says I wonder if this is Ronny's favorite song........I am a Bruce fanatic, but I think he's totally wrong on Reagan, then and now.

True... We didn't live in a media blitz like today... Most probably didn't hear too much which made it look like he was more in the middle.

Yeah it's wiki, but I remember hearing about this... that it was actually George Will's idea. That makes it funnier... Just after they were rebuffed, Reagan said what he did without officially mentioning Born in the USA. But everyone, especially the Springsteen camp, knew what he meant, and they didnt like him saying it even more because they had just told them no.

In late August 1984, the Born in the U.S.A. album was selling very well, its songs were all over the radio, and the associated tour was drawing considerable press. Springsteen shows at the Capital Centre outside of Washington, D.C. thus attracted even more media attention, in particular from CBS Evening News correspondent Bernard Goldberg, who saw Springsteen as a modern-day Horatio Alger story. Yet more notably, the widely-read conservative columnist George Will, after attending a show, published on September 13, 1984 a piece entitled "A Yankee Doodle Springsteen" in which he praised Springsteen as an exemplar of classic American values. He wrote: "I have not got a clue about Springsteen's politics, if any, but flags get waved at his concerts while he sings songs about hard times. He is no whiner, and the recitation of closed factories and other problems always seems punctuated by a grand, cheerful affirmation: 'Born in the U.S.A.!'"[4] The 1984 presidential campaign was in full stride at the time, and Will had connections to President Ronald Reagan's re-election organization. Will thought that Springsteen might endorse Reagan (not knowing that Springsteen was very much a liberal and thus did not support Reagan at all), and got the notion pushed up to high-level Reagan advisor Michael Deaver's office. Those staffers made inquiries to Springsteen's management which were politely rebuffed.
Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

There are a slew of bands that you can point to that make the Rock and Roll HOF a complete joke, but ABBA has to be at the top of that list.

It just occurred to me:

The White Stripes. Jack Black seems to be everyone's darling, these days. I find his playing to be obnoxious and the songs to be horrendous.

I'm ready to admit this too.

I liked their early stuff and the De Stijl album I thought was awesome. Ever since, they have been on a steady decline. Their sound just gets very stale in my opinion.

Oh, and it's Jack White. I often make the same mistake myself. :D

I'm ready to admit this too.

I liked their early stuff and the De Stijl album I thought was awesome. Ever since, they have been on a steady decline. Their sound just gets very stale in my opinion.

Oh, and it's Jack White. I often make the same mistake myself. :D

:doh::oops:

I knew that.

Thanks

Yeah it's wiki, but I remember hearing about this... that it was actually George Will's idea. That makes it funnier... Just after they were rebuffed, Reagan said what he did without officially mentioning Born in the USA. But everyone, especially the Springsteen camp, knew what he meant, and they didnt like him saying it even more because they had just told them no.

I still don't know why it would be about the song. It was about Bruce, who was as hot of a star as anybody has been since that time in September 1984.

Even when I saw him 5 days later, Bruce didn't mention the song. Just being unwillfully co-opted by a president he didn't agree with.

The myth, in my opinion, is that Reagan mentioned the song. Neither Reagan or Bruce ever did.

I think what becomes the challenge with bands that stay around a long time is their sound becomes just that, their sound and people tend to get bored with it and when you listen to the new album it's "meh, same old same old." I think bands that change producers over the years or are willing to cover other sounds they tend to surprise people with a different sound/concept but when you go out there with the same lineup and production team it's all the same.

Many people dis on the Grateful Dead and I get that because people atribute them to the spacey far out jams that to me are boring and I just skip right past those bits. But if you listen to their full repetoire they are influenced by everything from Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass, Disco (yes disco), Reggae etc so many of their songs have a wide variety of styles so they're not boring.

The Allman Brothers, another great example. They were influenced by the old time bluesmen but they also had their own sound. They were not afraid to cover some blues classics and mix in some of their original stuff. You mix old blues standards like Statsboro Blues and Stormy Monday with originals like Whipping Post and Blue Sky just opens you up for to a wide range of sounds.

I still don't know why it would be about the song. It was about Bruce, who was as hot of a star as anybody has been since that time in September 1984.

Even when I saw him 5 days later, Bruce didn't mention the song. Just being unwillfully co-opted by a president he didn't agree with.

The myth, in my opinion, is that Reagan mentioned the song. Neither Reagan or Bruce ever did.

I could be completely wrong b/c this was before I followed politics, but I thought they played "Born in the USA" at the Republican National Convention.

I think what becomes the challenge with bands that stay around a long time is their sound becomes just that, their sound and people tend to get bored with it and when you listen to the new album it's "meh, same old same old." I think bands that change producers over the years or are willing to cover other sounds they tend to surprise people with a different sound/concept but when you go out there with the same lineup and production team it's all the same.

Nice thing about Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, they're always exploring new things. Even when Satriani's explorations have sucked (his "cool jazz" experiment is definitely not one of my favorites), I still have to appreciate the effort. And Vai...once the lead guitarist of Whitesnake, he's writing classical/pops compositions now. Who'd a thunk it?

I could be completely wrong b/c this was before I followed politics, but I thought they played "Born in the USA" at the Republican National Convention.

I could be wrong, too, but I don't think they did........I'm sure they wanted to, though.