Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad when compared to Rosanna and Africa... I can tolerate it.

On the Poco front, did you know that the late Phil Hartman designed the album cover for the band's Legend release?

Legend

Bit of trivia: Cameron Crowe went on tour with Poco as a journalist in his mid teens and based the movie Almost Famous on the experience.

Bit of trivia: Cameron Crowe went on tour with Poco as a journalist in his mid teens and based the movie Almost Famous on the experience.

I thought it was amalgamation of tours with Led Zeppelin & Allmans? Can't see anyone in Poco proclaiming to be a rock god...

I thought it was amalgamation of tours with Led Zeppelin & Allmans? Can't see anyone in Poco proclaiming to be a rock god...

That's true to an extent, but I read Poco was the main one on which Stillwater was based.

Rock Gods I would think not. I'd never even heard of them before that movie.

Edited by Rob's House

Hotel California, I assume.

I heard an Eagles song today and thought about this being a totally bogus point. The poster said that the Eagles had one great song and then lived off that the rest of their careers.

Their Greatest Hits is, last I checked, the largest selling album of all time........And, that came out before Hotel California!

I heard an Eagles song today and thought about this being a totally bogus point. The poster said that the Eagles had one great song and then lived off that the rest of their careers.

Their Greatest Hits is, last I checked, the largest selling album of all time........And, that came out before Hotel California!

Exactly... I think it goes up to 1975... HC was 1977 or so and then they broke up in 1979 after The Long Run LP.

The Eagles really created a whole genre as as much as Nirvana was to grunge, IMO

I understand that Bon Jovi is being considered for induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I think this is a very bad sign for humanity.

Bon Jovi is so lame, it's hard for me to even think about it in the right perspective.

Inevitably, I think about the vastness of the universe. I imagine thousands of civilizations of intelligent life on distant isolated planets that have come and gone long ago. I imagine that in each of these civilizations, there was a turning point in their history when their evolutionary relevance began to wane. And that for each there was a period of decline, during which there were many tell-tale signs of the impending unavoidable extinction. I think that if an anthropoligist could observe and compare the histories of all these doomed civilizations, they could pinpoint in each one a definitive "Bon Jovi" moment which marked the critical point of no return.

Exactly... I think it goes up to 1975... HC was 1977 or so and then they broke up in 1979 after The Long Run LP.

The Eagles really created a whole genre as as much as Nirvana was to grunge, IMO

You are 100% correct on everything you said! I think of Hotel California as the end of their run - they only put one more album out after that (and I like the song The Long Run, but not really much else on that album).

I understand that Bon Jovi is being considered for induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I think this is a very bad sign for humanity.

Bon Jovi is so lame, it's hard for me to even think about it in the right perspective.

Inevitably, I think about the vastness of the universe. I imagine thousands of civilizations of intelligent life on distant isolated planets that have come and gone long ago. I imagine that in each of these civilizations, there was a turning point in their history when their evolutionary relevance began to wane. And that for each there was a period of decline, during which there were many tell-tale signs of the impending unavoidable extinction. I think that if an anthropoligist could observe and compare the histories of all these doomed civilizations, they could pinpoint in each one a definitive "Bon Jovi" moment which marked the critical point of no return.

This is great! And, the worst thing is I guarantee that they get in the HOF. There are only so many bands that really should be in that thing, but they have to keep inducting 5 or so every year.

I just remind myself that this is the Hall of Fame and being famous does not equal being good. If this was an induction into the Hall of Artists Who's Music was Commonly Considered to be Well-Received by a Majority of Critics then I might have an objection ;)

Did you get around to playing that song that goes "You're the best...around! Never gonna let 'em keep ya down..."

That's in the top 10 cheesiest of all time. It does make for a very effective montage however.

As I've said numerous times on this board . . . I love that movie!!

I also find Gringo's sig to be slightly disturbing . . . :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to a lot of the JamOn channel on the XM. And if there's an overrated bleating group of pedestrian musicians whose endless droning can get me to change the station every time they come on, it would be Widespread Panic. I don't get what so many people love about a bunch of marginally talented, uninspired musicians going through the motions while turning 5 minute blues standards into 15 minute long fuzzfests.

Boring!

I've been listening to a lot of the JamOn channel on the XM. And if there's an overrated bleating group of pedestrian musicians whose endless droning can get me to change the station every time they come on, it would be Widespread Panic. I don't get what so many people love about a bunch of marginally talented, uninspired musicians going through the motions while turning 5 minute blues standards into 15 minute long fuzzfests.

Boring!

Funny you should say that. I have never seen them and barely heard any of their music. I have heard the lead guitarist play and he is actually quite good. I almost went to see them in concert on 10/1 as they were right down the street...but I forgot about it until the afternoon of the concert. As I had no mushrooms or acid, I didn't see the point. Chef is going to see them and I hope he gives us a report.

One thing I will say in their favor: They have a GREAT name. Of course so does The Tragically Hip (it would be better without "The") and I never thought very much of their music.

Boring!

To each his own and I very rarely bash on people for music they like or don't like because I understand that. I don't like what some people like and a lot of people don't like what I like. Having said that I saw them for the first time this weekend. One of the best !@#$ing live shows I've seen. If the music got me up and dancing it says a lot because I don't dance. There's a big difference to listening to something on the radio and seeing it with several thousand other fans who are very into it. I'm real big on the whole jam band thing and having played in a jam band I can appreciate the fact that they can improvise so much. It's funny you hate a 5 minute song that turns into a 15 minute jam, well I'm the other way around. I hate 5 minute songs and prefer a 45 minute long jam from one song to another to another and then back to the original song. One of the things I just found out is they actually write the second set during the intermission. It's based on what they feel the crowd that night would like. That is amazing.

Marginally talented?? What instrument do you play?

Funny you should say that. I have never seen them and barely heard any of their music. I have heard the lead guitarist play and he is actually quite good. I almost went to see them in concert on 10/1 as they were right down the street...but I forgot about it until the afternoon of the concert. As I had no mushrooms or acid, I didn't see the point. Chef is going to see them and I hope he gives us a report.

One thing I will say in their favor: They have a GREAT name. Of course so does The Tragically Hip (it would be better without "The") and I never thought very much of their music.

I gave a report over the weekend. It's here someplace.

Edited by Chef Jim

To each his own and I very rarely bash on people for music they like or don't like because I understand that. I don't like what some people like and a lot of people don't like what I like. Having said that I saw them for the first time this weekend. One of the best !@#$ing live shows I've seen. If the music got me up and dancing it says a lot because I don't dance. There's a big difference to listening to something on the radio and seeing it with several thousand other fans who are very into it. I'm real big on the whole jam band thing and having played in a jam band I can appreciate the fact that they can improvise so much. It's funny you hate a 5 minute song that turns into a 15 minute jam, well I'm the other way around. I hate 5 minute songs and prefer a 45 minute long jam from one song to another to another and then back to the original song. One of the things I just found out is they actually write the second set during the intermission. It's based on what they feel the crowd that night would like. That is amazing.

I gave a report over the weekend. It's here someplace.

Thanks. I'll search.

I don't mind long songs or jam bands; hell my Ipod is loaded with String Cheese Incident, Galactic, Yonder Mountain, Gov't Mule, Keller Williams, Umphrey's McGee and such. But if you're going to play something for 10+ minutes, at least do it with originality, passion or a unique display of skill. Every time I hear the Panic, it always sounds to me like they're just going through the motions. The real reason that I put them in the overrated category (aside from having some fun messing with you:-) is that they are the #2 most frequently played band on my favorite XM channel, yet there's always dozens of other musicians I'd much rather hear. Glad you enjoyed the show though; maybe seeing them up close and live is a far superior experience than always hearing them in my truck.

As for me, I've played the guitar, the mandolin, the harmonica and the congas over the years, none of them with any real skill. But I don't have to be an NFL LB to know that Kelsay is nothing more than a serviceable player.

I don't mind long songs or jam bands; hell my Ipod is loaded with String Cheese Incident, Galactic, Yonder Mountain, Gov't Mule, Keller Williams, Umphrey's McGee and such. But if you're going to play something for 10+ minutes, at least do it with originality, passion or a unique display of skill. Every time I hear the Panic, it always sounds to me like they're just going through the motions. The real reason that I put them in the overrated category (aside from having some fun messing with you:-) is that they are the #2 most frequently played band on my favorite XM channel, yet there's always dozens of other musicians I'd much rather hear. Glad you enjoyed the show though; maybe seeing them up close and live is a far superior experience than always hearing them in my truck.

As for me, I've played the guitar, the mandolin, the harmonica and the congas over the years, none of them with any real skill. But I don't have to be an NFL LB to know that Kelsay is nothing more than a serviceable player.

The reason I asked if you played an instrument was because I have a hard time believing that someone that plays an instrument calls they guys marginal musicians.

I cannot stand Kiss. After reading about people attacking his internet site I remembered how much I cannot stand him. Chaim is a world class a-hole. He make a joke about homosexual rape in prisons - with all that is going on right now, that's pretty stupid.