Maybin's Role Defined

tbonestake

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see his sack dance in the 4th quarter when we are down by 21.

I've been a Maybin "apologist" from the beginning. But I am with you on this one.

I hope, if nothing else, he doesn't do any celebrating unless we're ahead, and it's for a loss of yards.

The guy is only 22, played one full season at the college level, and saw little playing time his first season due to his holdout.

Lets take a step back for a second and look at it like this: If we drafted Maybin this year (same spot) and this was his rookie season, given his preseason play thus far as a "rookie", how does he look?

I would say he looks pretty good for a "rookie" and has some potential. Even if a bulk of his time isn't against starters.

Give the KID some time!!

Agreed. If he hasn't cracked the starting line-up by 2018 then I'll start to think we reached and got busted.

Fair enough but I am not sure we are a team that had the luxury of using 2 years to develop our top picks. Did the previous staff think he was BPA ? If yes, he better make an impact eventually for us. The way we have messed up drafting in the past, we are stuck needing our top picks to contribute very quickly.

Actually, seems as the Bills are the type of team that does have time to develop their players as they are a few years away from contention.

Meh, he is what he is. He was an ill-advised pick by an administration who is no longer here. I have it on good advisement that it was DJ who really wanted him, and DJ is now gone.

The good news is the current admin owes him nothing. The guy either produces or he's gone.

One thing the Bills will likely do with him where he really could be effective, and which they haven't because it's pre-season, is using him on stunts. If The DT inside of him can take up a man, Maybin can use that first step and speed to get inside and at the QB before the OL gets over to him. That way he doesn't need to use his strength or a move, just that burst and speed and ability to go under that he has shown. Obviously you can't do it too often, but he should be able to do very well at that.

He's clearly gotten a lot better, and the Bills are going to use him on passing downs. I would not at all be surprised if a lot of fans change their tune on him by midway through the season.

Wal-Mart? He held out last year and he's still shopping at Wal Mart???

Makes sense to me. He might not get another shot at the brass ring -- he better save his money.

I'm exposing my ignorance here -- but considering how easily Maybin seems to get pushed around by offensive linemen, would it make sense to convert Maybin into a tight end or possibly a safety?

Fair enough but I am not sure we are a team that had the luxury of using 2 years to develop our top picks. Did the previous staff think he was BPA ? If yes, he better make an impact eventually for us. The way we have messed up drafting in the past, we are stuck needing our top picks to contribute very quickly.

You are correct. The problem is that Maybin was not ready for prime time and the Bills took a chance. He was a kid, still is, and we'll be lucky if he is ready to contribute significantly this year. Maybe he will. Maybe Maybin will turn the corner (so to speak) sometime this season. We can only hope. I think he will be a solid edge rusher eventually, and maybe an all down player. However, it was a dumb move to pick such a green prospect last year. The worst thing is, by the time he is a player, he'll be in his contract year.

If we drafted Maybin this year (same spot) and this was his rookie season, given his preseason play thus far as a "rookie", how does he look?

I would say he looks pretty good for a "rookie" and has some potential. Even if a bulk of his time isn't against starters.

So I compare him to this year's first rounder, CJ Spiller. Umm, what was your point again?

I actually think it's just the opposite. The Bills are at least a couple years away from contending, and the guys from the last couple of drafts weren't gonna push this team to the top by this season even if the Bills had the best drafts in the league.

I look at Maybin and I see a guy working hard and doing the best he can. It's not his fault that the Bills drafted him so high. If he fails to produce (which is starting to look likely), it's the Bills FO that people should be disappointed in (again), not Maybin.

Let us not forget Maybin would only be entering the 11th grade had he not declared for the draft early.

We can only hope the growth spurt is around the corner.

I actually think it's just the opposite. The Bills are at least a couple years away from contending, and the guys from the last couple of drafts weren't gonna push this team to the top by this season even if the Bills had the best drafts in the league.

I guarantee you nobody in the Bills organization agrees with that statement.

It's five years.

The guy is only 22, played one full season at the college level, and saw little playing time his first season due to his holdout.

Lets take a step back for a second and look at it like this: If we drafted Maybin this year (same spot) and this was his rookie season, given his preseason play thus far as a "rookie", how does he look?

Give the KID some time!!

Exactly. Everyone take the guy's age into consideration. He came out too early. Let's just consider this his rookie year. This guy has mad potential so let's see what the coaches can do with him. Even if he takes a while to develop he is extremely intrigueing. Give the guy time. After another year or so then u can declare him a bust if you want. Way too early to tell right now.

Let us not forget Maybin would only be entering the 11th grade had he not declared for the draft early.

:w00t: funny

Just think of it this way we got 2 1st round picks this year and one might not be any good (happy we didn't trade up for it) but could be better than that bust we took and cut last year. Does that work for you? I really hope this kid can work out for us, we badly need a pass rush and we will be missing the other Aaron this year.