Leinart benched

Estro

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/26/matt-leinart-benched-for-saturday-could-be-done-in-arizona/

If the rumor about being shipped to Seattle is true, it would just be further proof that Pete Carroll is not a quality NFL head coach. With Seattle's combo of weak talent and poor coaching (I have no confidence in Carroll as an NFL head man) they're my darkhorse pick to have the leagues worst record.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind us passing on Leinart in the draft, but I would have preferred we got Ngata instead of Whitner.

That being said...it does make me feel a little bit better that we didn't waste a pick on this guy. At least (it looks like) Whitner will be here this year.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Maybe if Seattle trades for Leinart, we can get that Losman kid. He seems to be playing well in the preseason.

Only kidding.

Yeah, mostly about the playing well part. The guy is just not NFL material. When you watch J.P, at least for me, it makes me appreciate Trent a lot more.

I didn't mind us passing on Leinart in the draft, but I would have preferred we got Ngata instead of Whitner.

That being said...it does make me feel a little bit better that we didn't waste a pick on this guy. At least (it looks like) Whitner will be here this year.

They could have had both Ngata and Whitner if they would have played their cards right...

Wow... now there, my friends, is an example of the dangers of picking QBs in the first round!

Know what else is a danger of picking a QB in the first round? The chance of turning your franchise around from a consistent loser, to a consistent winner.

But yeah, since there is a chance you can bust, I'd just go ahead and not ever pick a QB. Who needs em.

They could have had both Ngata and Whitner if they would have played their cards right...

Ahhhh, you're talking about the old trade-down-get-Ngata-and-possibly-trade-up-slightly-and-get-Whitner trick!

...yeah, that just would have made Marv's head hurt a little too much, soooooo no. :D (EDIT - Even if people don't like the tebow pick by the broncos I do respect - as you probably do, too - the wheeling and dealing they did to do it...way beyond our FO)

Regardless of how good he would be for us now, as a Bill, I think I could forgive about 13 bad picks the Bills have made if we just would have gotten Ngata.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I laugh at Pete Carroll's secret plan to reconstitute the USC Trojans team in Seattle.

I feel for Arizona fans. They have all that weaponry on the field, legitimate contenders and it all lives or dies on Senor Hottub and Shotgun Arm.

Does anybody remember the Cardinals/Bears game from four years ago? Leinart was spectacular that game. I thought for sure he was going to be an all-pro after that game. It was only his second career starts against one of the best defenses in the league he went 24-for-42 for 232 yards, 2 TD's, and no INT's. He finished the season with 11 TD's, 12 INT's, and over 2,500 yards passing. With such a promising start, how did he get to where he's being replaced by...Derek Anderson??

Know what else is a danger of picking a QB in the first round? The chance of turning your franchise around from a consistent loser, to a consistent winner.

But yeah, since there is a chance you can bust, I'd just go ahead and not ever pick a QB. Who needs em.

Read this article. Roughly 10 of the 35 first-round QBs taken between 1990 and 2006 have been successful in the NFL. Based on that list, I estimate 7 of those 10 were/are "franchise" QBs: McNair, Manning (arguably both), Palmer, Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers. I would say the jury is still out on those taken since 2006 - Ryan and Flacco have been solid so far, Stafford seems OK, but Sanchez was seriously overrated last year.

Moreover, in the last decade, despite 26 first-round QBs having been taken in that period, there have been a total of 12 pro-bowl berths for that group and none has been first-team (note this does not include Peyton Manning and Steve McNair who were drafted in the '90s). You might argue that Palmer, in his prime, deserved a first-team pro bowl berth and Rodgers might get one eventually (maybe Rivers).

But if you simply want a serviceable QB in the first round (don't know why you'd waste a first-round pick on a serviceable QB, but...) there were a few others - but there also were a large number of busts.

Edited by MaineMoxie

Read this article. Roughly 10 of the 35 first-round QBs taken between 1990 and 2006 have been successful in the NFL. Based on that list, I estimate 7 of those 10 were/are "franchise" QBs: McNair, Manning (arguably both), Palmer, Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers. I would say the jury is still out on those taken since 2006 - Ryan and Flacco have been solid so far, Stafford seems OK, but Sanchez was seriously overrated last year.

Moreover, in the last decade, despite 26 first-round QBs having been taken in that period, there have been a total of 12 pro-bowl berths for that group and none has been first-team (note this does not include Peyton Manning and Steve McNair who were drafted in the '90s). You might argue that Palmer, in his prime, deserved a first-team pro bowl berth and Rodgers might get one eventually (maybe Rivers).

But if you simply want a serviceable QB in the first round (don't know why you'd waste a first-round pick on a serviceable QB, but...) there were a few others - but there also were a large number of busts.

Sanchez and Stafford has basically identical years last year. How can you say one is okay but the other is overrated??

might want to check those stats

Sanchez and Stafford did have very simuilar stats last yr

Qb Rating

Stafford 61

Sanchez 63

TD passes

Stafford 13 (plus 2 rushing)

Sanchez 12 (plus 3 rushing)

Both had 20 INTS

Both had a 53% completion percentage.

Not much difference besides the fact that Sanchez benefited from playing on a good team and Stafford takes the heat for playing on a crappy one.