Shawn Nelson suspended for 4 games

ACor58

just received the v-text. No additional details.

NFL Statement: Shawn Nelson has been suspended without pay for the team’s first four games of the 2010 regular season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. Nelson’s suspension begins on September 4. He will be eligible to return to the Bills’ active roster on October 4 following the team’s game vs. Jets. Nelson is eligible to participate in all preseason practices and games.

about a minute ago · Comment ·LikeUnlike

Write a comment....

Got it from where else but facebook....

One wonders whether his fall to the 4th round was due, in part, to his drug use.

Again, substance abuse program requires 2 positive tests for suspension. The first puts you in the program. You should never have a first positive test because you know when the test occurs. Once in the program, testing occurs randomly. The second positive test gets you a 4 game suspension.

This means Nelson likely tested positive when he reported to camp last year or at the combine. There is also a reasonable suspicion standard, but that generally requires legal imbroglio (getting pulled over while smoking a blunt, for example, even if no drug charges are filed).

If the NFL really wants the guys to stop using drugs they should hand out mandatory 16 game suspensions, which in theory could carry over to another season.

On a side note, the only thing that former 49er Eric Johnson is doing right now is Jessica Simpson so he is available.

Or a WR depending on how those injuries shake out.

Good call. The non-druggie Nelson looks very solid and it appears that his injury isn't as bad as anticipated. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/8/18/...-ankle-is-a-lot

Being an SJCI grad, I'd love to see Naaman make the roster but I'm not holding my breath. Chad Jackson is a physical specimen and the catch he had last night on the sidelines was pretty solid. It should be interesting to see who they keep.

I have a feeling the Bills knew this was coming and that was one of the reasons they were really working Stupar in. I know that Nelson is not as good a blocker and they definitely need help there, but the guy has the speed, size and hands to be a great receiving TE. That is if he can stay off the drugs. It's sad to see someone throw their life and career away. I hope he can straighten himself out.

is it safe to say that last yr was the worst yr ever for this Bills franchise?? if they wouldve just fired Jauron and co we could have been 1 yr closer. now we are set so far back with bums like Mayhem (ahahahahah!! what a loser and what a dork for nicknaming himself) and now Nelson!

darn you ralph! darn u

is it safe to say that last yr was the worst yr ever for this Bills franchise?? if they wouldve just fired Jauron and co we could have been 1 yr closer. now we are set so far back with bums like Mayhem (ahahahahah!! what a loser and what a dork for nicknaming himself) and now Nelson!

darn you ralph! darn u

probably not even in the top 10.

Welcome to the league Mr. Stupar...

I have a feeling that Stupar may not give up that starting spot very easily now that he will have it. He has impressed me and is easily the better blocker too. I still really like Nelsons potential as a recieving threat, but Stupar seems to be having an all around strong camp...