Initial impressions of the 2010 Buffalo Bills

Simon

> The Bills nickel defense might be the strenght of this team and I think we're going to see a lot of it this year through both design and circumstance. Through design because it puts our best personnel on the field. We know about the depth of the secondary but I give this front office some credit for putting together a very respectable D-Line rotation, even with the loss of their best defender. And through circumstance because with the addition of Andra Davis (another great acquisition) the Bills are relatively stout up the middle, an attribute which generally leads to a lot of 2nd/8. And taking two relatively weak 'backers off the field then replacing them with a good DLineman and a good DB will likely be irresistible to the defensive staff.

> It only took about 4-5 possessions to see the glaring difference in an offense run by an experienced coach. It is already sooooo much more cohesive and sensibly managed than it was all last year. Procedural mistakes are reduced, route combinations are suddenly a weapon again, weaknesses are smartly hidden and strengths better accentuated. Everybody knows their job when they break the huddle and as a result execution is clearly crisper than it was at any time last year. We still can't protect anybody off the edges but I think this staff is going to do a much better job of mitigating that problem than we've seen in a long time.

> This is the first time I've ever got to see CJSpiller in the flow of a "game" and my initial comment was "holy schnikes". I hated the selection because it was just another bluechip pick seemingly wasted on one of the easiest positions to fill, but CJ might shut my yap yet. Great vision, outstanding burst and a fantastic pair of feet. That boy packs on just a few more pounds of muscle and shows he can maintain that focus and freshness over 4 qrtrs and he could be a legitimate game changing player. The kid can really ball.

> The change to a different style of defense and fewer weaknesses in front of him might lead to some very positive things for Donte Whitner. He looks much more comfortable with this unit with improved anticipation, better vision and more opportunities to dish out punishment. Through no fault of his own, he'll never live up to that absurd draft position but I think there's now potential for him to become a factor for the first time in his career.

> The fretting over the WR corps with TO gone might turn out to have been a bit overwrought. Chad Jackson already looks like he might be another very smart maneuver from the front office and more judicious use of Roscoe by a more experienced coach might also be a reasonable expectation at this point. We don't have the edge protection to run a bunch of 4-5 wide but this might turn out to be a surprisingly respectable group of wideouts.

> Both Edwards and Brohm were put in some difficult circumstances at various times tonight and they both handled it better than was to be expected, particularly Brohm. We're not going to ride either of these guys anywhere, but they might both turn out to be serviceable for a couple years while the Bills address more glaring needs.

> Those glaring needs being edge players up front on offense and in the second level on defense. This franchise was in absolutely brutal shape when this administration was assembled in the offseason, but overall I'm starting to feel pretty good about the types of moves the front office had made in just their first year. They couldn't possibly address everything, but it's starting to seem like the things they were able to/chose to address, they may have addressed very well. I don't expect to go .500 this season, but for the first time in about 7 years I'm feeling more positive about the direction this franchise is moving and the manner in which it is going there.

> Please consider this a troll free thread. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
> The Bills nickel defense might be the strenght of this team and I think we're going to see a lot of it this year through both design and circumstance. Through design because it puts our best personnel on the field. We know about the depth of the secondary but I give this front office some credit for putting together a very respectable D-Line rotation, even with the loss of their best defender. And through circumstance because with the addition of Andra Davis (another great acquisition) the Bills are relatively stout up the middle, an attribute which generally leads to a lot of 2nd/8. And taking two relatively weak backers off the field then replacing them with a good DLineman and a good DB

> It only took about 4-5 possessions to see the glaring difference in an offense run by an experienced coach. It is already sooooo much more cohesive and sensibly managed than it was all last year. Procedural mistakes are reduced, route combinations are suddenly a weapon again, weaknesses are smartly hidden and strengths better accentuated. Everybody knows their job when they break the huddle and as a result execution is clearly crisper than it was at any time last year. We still can't protect anybody off the edges but I think this staff is going to do a much better job of mitigating that problem than we've seen in a long time.

> This is the first time I've ever got to see CJSpiller in the flow of a "game" and my initial comment was "holy schnikes". I hated the selection because it was just another bluechip pick seemingly wasted on one of the easiest positions to fill, but CJ might shut my yap yet. Great vision, outstanding burst and a fantastic pair of feet. That boy packs on just a few more pounds of muscle and shows he can maintain that focus and freshness over 4 qrtrs and he could be a legitimate game changing player. The kid can really ball.

> The change to a different style of defense and fewer weaknesses in front of him might lead to some very positive things for Donte Whitner. He looks much more comfortable with this unit with improved anticipation, better vision and more opportunities to dish out punishment. Through no fault of his own, he'll never live up to that absurd draft position but I think there's now potential for him to become a factor for the first time in his career.

> The fretting over the WR corps with TO gone might turn out to have been a bit overwrought. Chad Jackson already looks like he might be another very smart maneuver from the front office and more judicious use of Roscoe by a more experienced coach might also be a reasonable expectation at this point. We don't have the edge protection to run a bunch of 4-5 wide but this might turn out to be a surprisingly respectable group of wideouts.

> Both Edwards and Brohm were put in some difficult circumstances at various times tonight and they both handled it better than was to be expected, particularly Brohm. We're not going to ride either of these guys anywhere, but they might both turn out to be serviceable for a couple years while the Bills address more glaring needs.

> Those glaring needs being edge players up front on offense and in the second level on defense. This franchise was in absolutely brutal shape when this administration was assembled in the offseason, but overall I'm starting to feel pretty good about the types of moves the front office had made in just their first year. They couldn't possibly address everything, but it's starting to seem like the things they were able to/chose to address, they may have addressed very well. I don't expect to go .500 this season, but for the first time in about 7 years I'm feeling more positive about the direction this franchise is moving and the manner in which it is going there.

> Please consider this a troll free thread. :thumbsup:

If we could win 6 under DJ, we can win 8 + under Chan Gailey.

I agree, The Bills secondary is going to give any high powered offense the Bills face problems.

Using the running game more strategically is going to allow the bills a better time of possession which in many cases helps win ball games,

I realize its only preseason, but I seen a killer instinct/finish tonight that's been severely lacking in the Bills for a long time...

> The Bills nickel defense might be the strenght of this team and I think we're going to see a lot of it this year through both design and circumstance. Through design because it puts our best personnel on the field. We know about the depth of the secondary but I give this front office some credit for putting together a very respectable D-Line rotation, even with the loss of their best defender. And through circumstance because with the addition of Andra Davis (another great acquisition) the Bills are relatively stout up the middle, an attribute which generally leads to a lot of 2nd/8. And taking two relatively weak 'backers off the field then replacing them with a good DLineman and a good DB will likely be irresistible to the defensive staff.

> Please consider this a troll free thread. :worthy:

Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup:

I have to admit to being surprised by how well Edwards played. I still think the Bills should draft a franchise QB in the first round of 2011, if there's one available. It's not every year you get a chance to add a franchise QB. If you need one, and an opportunity to grab one does come along, you almost have to take it.

How effective would you say the offensive line was at run-blocking?

I'm going to try not to get TOO giddy over 1 pre-season game (just like I tried not to get too down after the last one) but I sure am encouraged. The offense looks like it knows how to handle situations better (4 min offense, 2 min offense etc). They adapted well to the change from 2 tailbacks to 1.

LOVED the design of the TD play to Evans. To watch their safety running HARD right past Evans was beautiful and Trent threw a great deep ball. He CAN do it! The play when Trent's helmet popped off worried me alot though.

I'd like a little better accuracy from Brohm who put some receivers in tough spots, but he was very effective between the 20s. Needs to be better in Red zone though.

Spiller looks like the real deal. Joique Bell also impressed again.

Where were the tight ends last night?

Poz looked like a guy who's only practiced for a few days. Bad in coverage and bounced off a couple of people. He's got work to do. For a defense that's supposed to allow the LBs to make plays I really didn't hear the LBs mentioned all that much. But I was impressed with the starting D Line. Stroud looks much slimmer and was pursuing well. DBs were very good except for all those holding calls on Florence, and Lankster got abused by a 3rd string WR. Youboty had the one really nice series. I totally agree with you about Whitner - just wish he didn't have the hands of stone.

The punt/kick coverage teams were brutally bad. And while Lindell made all his kicks, he's gotta straighten some of 'em out. There were at least 2 that barely stayed inside the upright.

Simon, you've done a nice job going into more detail with several things I "thought" we'd see but hadn't witnessed yet. It IS encouraging.

One additional thought -- the Bills have a freaking STABLE of backs. Spiller, Lynch, Jackson, Bell -- holy crap. This team WILL run the ball effectively.

Good to hear from you Simon!

Agreed on this team looking like, well, a team again with real coaching!

Long way to go but some very good signs...

Just seeing how they utilized Roscoe tells you all you need to know about the coaching on the offensive side of the ball in the past number of years and how dreadful it really was.

I was impressed with the starting D Line. Stroud looks much slimmer and was pursuing well.

I'm one of many who's taken that guy for granted because he's so reliable, but he looks like he could be a monster out there this year. He might be the baddest Bill on the roster right now.

Agreed on this team looking like, well, a team again with real coaching!

Long way to go but some very good signs...

The difference is already stunning. They're better after two scrimmages than they were all last year.

How effective would you say the offensive line was at run-blocking?

With the addition of Cornell Green they should be respectable in that regard. They still lack a really good blocking TE and I wish they still had Robert Royal to fill that role.

Good post.

There was one play, in particular, that stood out most to me last night and gave me the most encouragement: Edwards' sideline fade pass to Steve Johnson. Johnson was well-covered (probably interfered with); the pass was incomplete, it didn't work. However, the mere fact that Edwards threw that pass, downfield, up for grabs, into coverage, on a timing route, and let his WR try to make a play, shows me that he FINALLY may be starting to get it. Credit the new coaching staff for forcing Trent to add that element to his game. For the last two years we've seen Trent afraid and/or unwilling to throw the ball up for grabs when his WR isn't open by 5 yards. That pass was exactly the type of thing Edwards needs to do to improve his confidence, keep the defense honest, and enable more big plays downfield.

I know it isn't much, but that's what stood out to me.

EDIT: btw I too noticed how much more organized and discplined the offense appeared to be. It was incredibly refreshing. And I love that Chan has made it a goal to try to have the offense break the huddle with 17 seconds left on the playclock - should eliminate much of the disorganization we've seen the past few years.

Good post.

There was one play, in particular, that stood out most to me last night and gave me the most encouragement: Edwards' sideline fade pass to Steve Johnson. Johnson was well-covered (probably interfered with); the pass was incomplete, it didn't work. However, the mere fact that Edwards threw that pass, downfield, up for grabs, into coverage, on a timing route, and let his WR try to make a play, shows me that he FINALLY may be starting to get it. Credit the new coaching staff for forcing Trent to add that element to his game. For the last two years we've seen Trent afraid and/or unwilling to throw the ball up for grabs when his WR isn't open by 5 yards. That pass was exactly the type of thing Edwards needs to do to improve his confidence, keep the defense honest, and enable more big plays downfield.

I know it isn't much, but that's what stood out to me.

Another potentially un-noticed moment was when there was a jailbreak safety blitz on and Trent rolled just enough and winged it sidearm to Spiller for a 2 yard gain. Doesn't sound like a big deal but that pressure was coming FAST and Trent avoided the sack, knew where his guy would be and got the ball out accurately by improvising, avoiding a huge loss.

The offensive coaching already stands out to me, too.

Play design for a pre-season game was really refreshing. The long TD to Evans was memorable for about four separate reasons, especially the three man back-field, an actual play action pass, a good route by the WR who didn't get the ball thrown to him, Trent waiting for the right time to throw and then hitting Evans in stride (it should be noted that Evans, despite not putting up great numbers because our QBs and line sucked his whole career, is one of the best players I have ever seen on any team at picking the ball up in the air and adjusting his route and speed. He's simply great at it and we need to just lob the ball up more to him)

It's a simple thing, and something you should do in high school, but I don't remember the Bills running up to the line of scrimmage and getting a play off fast so the other team doesn't challenge for years.

I really think that Gailey is going to interchange the #2, #3, #4, and #5 WRs in different packages and formations and combinations. None will put up great numbers but they could be effective. I still do not at all see the infatuation with Steve Johnson. He's decent but very slow. I think he's going to be pushed off the field a lot during the year by Hardy (yes, Hardy), Jackson and maybe Nelson, depending on how many WRs Gailey keeps. Roscoe is going to have a good year, IMO.

I'm not YET worried about special teams until the regular season because there is such interchange in positions but obviously our coverage teams look like crap. We still can kick and return though.

If Youboty can stay healthy, our CBs are going to be sick. I still think McLovin' is going to be a star in the league, and he had a great game last night.

I liked that Edwards the DC put Scott in on some nickel packages as the coverage LB. He was beat for the long TD pass by Manning (although the safeties didn't get there) but it's something I wanted to see and think he is our best bet there for now. He's big enough to play the run if need be and a much better coverage guy than any of our linebackers.

I realize its only preseason, but I seen a killer instinct/finish tonight that's been severely lacking in the Bills for a long time...

I was going to post something similar today. I see a note here on my table on which I scribbled a particular play. It was at 2:18 remaining in the half, Brohm completes to Roosevelt near the 50 yard line. It probably wasn't a game breaking play; in fact, it probably wasn't even notable. What I remember being impressed by at this moment, however, is that the offense:

a) Looked like it was intent on drawing blood, and;

b) DIDN'T look like it couldn't get out of its own way.

The Bills will have a bad day on the field soon, and the Haters will be back on this forum whining as usual. But for a brief and shining moment, let me congratulate the coaching staff.

This is like recovering from a bad relationship. You don't realize how truly awful it was until you make a change. My God, the former coaching staff was just abysmal. Go, Gailey, Go!

The offensive coaching already stands out to me, too.

Play design for a pre-season game was really refreshing. The long TD to Evans was memorable for about four separate reasons, especially the three man back-field, an actual play action pass, a good route by the WR who didn't get the ball thrown to him, Trent waiting for the right time to throw and then hitting Evans in stride (it should be noted that Evans, despite not putting up great numbers because our QBs and line sucked his whole career, is one of the best players I have ever seen on any team at picking the ball up in the air and adjusting his route and speed. He's simply great at it and we need to just lob the ball up more to him)

It's a simple thing, and something you should do in high school, but I don't remember the Bills running up to the line of scrimmage and getting a play off fast so the other team doesn't challenge for years.

I really think that Gailey is going to interchange the #2, #3, #4, and #5 WRs in different packages and formations and combinations. None will put up great numbers but they could be effective. I still do not at all see the infatuation with Steve Johnson. He's decent but very slow. I think he's going to be pushed off the field a lot during the year by Hardy (yes, Hardy), Jackson and maybe Nelson, depending on how many WRs Gailey keeps. Roscoe is going to have a good year, IMO.

I'm not YET worried about special teams until the regular season because there is such interchange in positions but obviously our coverage teams look like crap. We still can kick and return though.

If Youboty can stay healthy, our CBs are going to be sick. I still think McLovin' is going to be a star in the league, and he had a great game last night.

I liked that Edwards the DC put Scott in on some nickel packages as the coverage LB. He was beat for the long TD pass by Manning (although the safeties didn't get there) but it's something I wanted to see and think he is our best bet there for now. He's big enough to play the run if need be and a much better coverage guy than any of our linebackers.

First rate analysis.

Nice work Simon.

I was particularly intrigued by Buffalo playing a lot of 4-3. They don't have the OLB's to rush the passer, and pass rush will be a big issue this year, but flashing multiple looks is a good idea for keeping teams off-balance.

I too wasn't a big fan of the Spiller pick in that he's got such poor outside OL. But if teams overpursue and they mix in the pass, he can be very effective IMO. But I agree, the OT's are very poor and I don't know if there's a weaker position on the team. I think Matthews and Stupar make this team, and it's why Shawn Nelson isn't getting a lot of reps: they like their TE's as blockers first and second. And they'll need them to be next to those OT's.

LOVED the design of the TD play to Evans. To watch their safety running HARD right past Evans was beautiful and Trent threw a great deep ball. He CAN do it! The play when Trent's helmet popped off worried me alot though.

Just watched the TD pass again a few times. As usual, Steve Tasker was dead wrong in his analysis and continues to be one of the worst announcers in football. He kept harping over and over about how the Colt safety bit on the run fake and allowed Evans to run right by him but actually watching it, the safety did nothing of the sort.

On the snap of the ball, watching the LOS, the safety instantly started back-pedaling, about 8-10 yards. He came up hard because he bit on Evans slight stop and go and then chose to cover Steve Johnson on the drag pattern over the middle and took himself out of the play. Maybe he thought someone was behind him, maybe he just blew the coverage, maybe he just gambled that Trent wouldn't throw it deep but it had zero to do with the play fake.

It was a nicely designed designed play and the LBs were fooled into thinking it was a run but then again, there were only two guys out on patterns total, so they had no one to cover.

I agree one hundred percent. Especially about S. Johnson. You can run solid routes and have decent hands, but if you can't get past a CB in this league, its going to be an issue. Johnson is a solid possession receiver, but having him a number 2 guy is quite the stretch. I haven't seen enough of Hardy to know if he'll push Johnson for the starting job, but it did seem that Chad Jackson had a better game and looks to be more talented than Johnson. Though, out of all the wide outs (including Evans), I was most impressed by Parrish. He is Gailey's type of player and I expect to see him second on the team in receptions. Yesterday was the first time I've ever seen Parrish look like he understands defensive formations. I hope his progression continues. Its a crime that Jauron didn't try and utilize him more. I still think a healthy Easley would have been the fourth best receiver on this team. A shame he will be out so long.

Just watched the TD pass again a few times. As usual, Steve Tasker was dead wrong in his analysis and continues to be one of the worst announcers in football. He kept harping over and over about how the Colt safety bit on the run fake and allowed Evans to run right by him but actually watching it, the safety did nothing of the sort.

On the snap of the ball, watching the LOS, the safety instantly started back-pedaling, about 8-10 yards. He came up hard because he bit on Evans slight stop and go and then chose to cover Steve Johnson on the drag pattern over the middle and took himself out of the play. Maybe he thought someone was behind him, maybe he just blew the coverage, maybe he just gambled that Trent wouldn't throw it deep but it had zero to do with the play fake.

It was a nicely designed designed play and the LBs were fooled into thinking it was a run but then again, there were only two guys out on patterns total, so they had no one to cover.

I'll take your word for it. Whatever the reason though it was execution (by Evans or Edwards) and I'll take that.

My worries are the edges on both offense and defense. I thought that the left side was decent on pass protection in the portion of the game I saw, but the right...not so much. We also appeared to run better left (again...from the portion I saw)

Defensively we seem to give up the edge too much and we aren't generating an outside pass rush (yet). LBs also were victimized in the air a couple times, but Manning was the QB.

I'm pretty sure what he was referring to was the cornerback, not the safety. The corner hesitated, letting Evans get behind him and giving Evans the entire sideline to work with once he caught it

I'm pretty sure what he was referring to was the cornerback, not the safety. The corner hesitated, letting Evans get behind him and giving Evans the entire sideline to work with once he caught it

He said "the safety" a couple different times, called him by name "Bullitt", and on the replay they showed, it was on the safety #33 Bullitt when he was talking about "the safety".

The corner never bothered to cover Evans though, you're right. No one did.

I thought Evans hesitated because if he didn't he would have run right into that safety who was charging toward the line of scrimmage.